• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy A Quest for the Shimmering City (accepting 2 more)

Mango137

Hello! I grew up as a big fan of The Hobbit and LOTR and am interested in doing an rp about a story with a similar feel to those. I originally planned on using the same setting as the stories, but I believe what makes the books great is how perfectly creative all the settings are for the story taking place. As such, I’m opting to pursue this as an original world with inspiration pulled from Tolkien’s.

There’s a lot of work still to be done on the world building side and I’m looking for people who would like to be an active part of that. My hope for this rp is that it would be a community adventure through a fantastical world with lots of time for side quests and interactions but still follow some driving plot lines towards an end. I would prefer to keep the group small (5 or 6 would be my max) in order to avoid stalling with one main OC per person. That being said, it would be encouraged (and appreciated!) to create supporting cast characters to make the world feel more developed.

You want to be a wizard? A knight? A werewolf samurai backgammon world champion? Good news, you can be. Whatever fantasy race you want to be (feel free to make your own up) in whatever role/job/class is welcome to join provided it’s a well written and compelling character. I don’t have an agenda for what types of characters are made, as long as you feel they’d be a good character to bring along in a traveling party through middle earth I’m open to it!

So far I’ve only developed the concept for my main OC and a few other supporting characters that I’ll provide more details on in the discord server (and I’ll add to this post once I finish the full bios). I also have some plot lines in mind but I’m trying to avoid developing them too much until I know all the characters in place. If you’re interested in participating and discussing more please feel free to reach out either here or in pms!

Edit: Added character bio for reference as it includes a lot of the backstory

Background:
Esolu, known as the shimmering city, was once a beacon of trade, wealth, and harmony. Its existence, concealed by magic, was considered a fable until its tragic fall. The city's last heir, Joko, orphaned and unaware of his lineage, is raised by a kind villager in a distant land. His fate entwines with a mystical crow, transformed by the vengeful spirits of Joko's ancestors. Tasked with guiding Joko to his destiny, the crow bestows upon him a cursed ancestral sword, a symbol of his heritage and responsibility. He will travel along the Golden Road- a former trade route that is now teeming with the forces of evil. The quest to reclaim his home will be dangerous and impossible to take on alone. As with any proper adventure through a fantasy world, he will require a traveling party- a group that share the common sentiments of ambitions and a thirst for adventure. They will undergo many hardships in this land teeming with enemy forces and terrifying beasts, but at the end of the path lies a shining city of dreams waiting to be reclaimed.

At the end of the Golden Road where it meets the ocean, and surrounded by mountains as its guardians, Esolu is a city that not only sprawls across the fertile plains but also ascends gracefully into the embrace of the surrounding peaks. It is a testament to the intersect of human creativity and nature's majesty.

The city's architecture, an awe-inspiring fusion of style and purpose from all over the world, features golden domes and soaring spires that reach for the heavens. The streets, illuminated by stones that capture the ethereal light of the stars, curve and climb through the city, echoing the mountains' contours. At the ground level, canals carved with precision and care flow like veins, infusing life and vibrancy into the heart of Esolu.

From the towering peaks of its surrounding mountains, aqueducts stretch down like the fingers of the gods, channeling the pure, snow-fed waters in a majestic descent. These architectural wonders, with their bends and curves, resemble mighty rivers suspended in the sky. They bring the essence of the mountain springs to the city, cascading into public fountains, baths, and lush gardens. These waters, celebrated for their clarity and purity, bestow a sense of serenity and abundance upon Esolu.

Nestled within the higher reaches of the mountains are the revered hot spring temples, serene havens built around the natural thermal springs. These temples, with their tranquil ambiance and healing waters, offer a place of spiritual solace and physical rejuvenation. Their design, harmonious with the natural landscape, invites visitors to partake in the timeless ritual of renewal.

The Royal Palace of Esolu, an architectural gem at the city's core, merges the grandeur of lofty temples with the intricate elegance of Eastern pagodas. Its columns and porticos, etched with the stories of ages past, stand in dialogue with sweeping roofs and delicate ornamentation, embodying the city's diverse heritage and artistic influences.

Below, the city teems with life, where bustling markets overflow with a cornucopia of goods from distant lands. The scent of spices mingles with the salt of the sea, and the air vibrates with the symphony of myriad languages and traditions. The ground-level canals serve as vibrant arteries of commerce and travel, bustling with boats and echoing with the songs of gondoliers.

Esolu's festivals transform the city into a realm of wonder and celebration. Artists and dreamers from across the world converge here, their crafts and tales weaving into the vibrant tapestry of Esolu's culture. Under the soft radiance of lanterns and the splendor of fireworks, the city becomes a living tableau of joy, unity, and artistic expression.

In Esolu, where the Golden Road kisses the sea, and where mountains cradle the city in their lofty embrace, every corner tells a story, every fountain sings a song. Esolu stands not just as a city but as a living legend, a place where dreams are cradled in the arms of reality. And so it is said, "When you reach the end of the Golden Road, where its edge overlooks the sea, look east to the mountains under the light of dawn, and you may glimpse the shimmering city of Esolu." For in that moment, as the sun peeks through the mountain's opening to the sea, its rays dance upon the golden rooftops and flowing waters of Esolu, casting a shimmering radiance that reflects the very essence of the city's magical allure.

Name: Joko Song
Race: Human
Appearance: Joko is a strong looking man. He stands at a respectable 6'1 and years of training have provided him with toned muscle throughout his body. His skin is tanned from days spent working out in the sun. From his mother's side, he inherited her dark hawk-like eyes and thick jet black hair that he pulls back into a messy samurai bun. From his father he inherited a roman nose and strong square jawline that lies beneath the cover of a short beard. While his clothes may change from day to day, he has a signature black haori, leather bracers, and a pointed straw hat. Hanging from his waist is an ebony scabbard hosting his familial sword- a hwandudaedo with a black grip and a golden guard that looks like the sun

Bio: "When you reach the end of the golden road, where its edge overlooks the sea, look east to the mountains under the light of dawn and you may glimpse the entrance of the shimmering city, Esolu." By many, this was thought to be nothing more than a fable- a false dream to motivate merchants into traveling along the golden road and spread trade across the lands. But to an experienced traveler, there was evidence of Esolu's existence. Whether it be a piece of clothing made of a heavenly silky-soft material or a mouthwatering dish served with the most delectable combination of spices. Whenever someone experienced bliss from a material object, it was an echo of Esolu's impact.

At the heart of this deified trade capital dwelled a noble king. He ruled with a gentle fist and was beloved by all of the city's residents. He had nine children, the youngest of which was a daughter of 24. She was Joko's mother, and while she may have been the lowest status member of the royal family, she was beloved by all for her charitable works. Joko's father, was an explorer employed by a poverty-stricken kingdom on the opposite end of the continent. His quest was to reach Esolu and return with as many riches as he could so that their kingdom might prosper. However, upon reaching the city he fell in love with the princess, and he planned to stay there forever.

He saw a few years of continued prosperity in Esolu. It was quite remarkable, they seemed to flourish on free trade and goodwill alone. He learned that long ago the first king was a mighty swordsman who commanded a great army. He had established the city as a safe haven for people from unjust rulers and requested sorcerers to create a magical veil that concealed the land from any ill-intentioned intruders. However, that was many years ago and the magic was beginning to fade...

The autumnal festival was normally a joyous day. The royal family put on a huge feast for the public where they would gather outside one last time before the cold seasons. For Joko's parents, it was an especially thrilling day because after five years of being together and a year of marriage, it was also the day they would welcome their son. The festival was as extravagant and fun as it had been every year prior. Children played games, the elderly told tales, and everyone feasted to their heart's content. There was singing, drinking, and dancing into the late hours of the night, and when everyone sat down to watch the fireworks that was when tragedy struck.

From a distant land emerged a dark ruler- a shogun motivated by greed. Whether it be for strength, food, lust, or wealth- he was never satisfied. He had spent years searching for the fabled city, and when he happened to meet the dissatisfied 6th child of the royal family, he was quick to promise to make her his first wife in exchange for the location of her home. Some didn't even realize they were under siege at first, after all, an enemy attack had never occurred throughout the entire history of the nation. Illuminated by the flash of the fireworks, a ruthless army of soldiers and beasts raided the city, leaving no survivors outside the royal family. The once beautiful city was stained crimson, matching the colors of the autumnal leaves. In the aftermath of the massacre, the new shogun, drunk on his conquest, offered the surviving members of the royal family an ultimatum – to serve under his rule or face death. The noble king, steadfast in his principles, refused to bend the knee to such tyranny. His defiance sealed the fate of his family; they were to be executed with their own ancestral sword, a symbol of their once-great legacy, now turned against them in the ultimate betrayal.

Amidst this turmoil, Joko's father, a man of courage and wit, managed to escape the clutches of the dark shogun thanks to a diversion created by his wife. Cradling his newborn son, he fled into the night, his heart heavy with the loss of his beloved wife and the destruction of the city he had grown to love. His journey back along the Golden Road was fraught with peril, as he evaded the shogun's scouts and braved the wilderness using the little he had

After months of travel, with the infant Joko in his arms, he finally reached his home kingdom. But rather than a hero's welcome, he was met with suspicion and scorn. The kingdom, ravaged by poverty and despair during his absence, viewed him as a deserter, a man who had abandoned his quest for personal gain. In a tragic twist of fate, the very people he had once sought to save turned against him. Accused of treachery, he was executed at the gates of the city he had once called home.

However, fate had a different plan for young Joko. As the orphaned child lay crying by the body of his father, a kindly woman from the village, moved by compassion, took him into her arms. She raised Joko as her own, instilling in him the virtues of kindness and resilience. Unbeknownst to Joko, the blood of a noble lineage flowed through his veins, and the spirit of a city lost to legend lingered in his heart.

Thirteen years had passed since the shogun's conquest, and the once-glorious Golden Road became a shadow of its former self- it's once bustling trails now barren. Kingdoms, isolated and fearful, fortified their borders against the lurking evils unleashed by the shogun. Trade and camaraderie between lands withered like the leaves in winter. Esolu, the city of dreams, had been reduced to a desolate haven for crows, feasting on the remnants of a forgotten prosperity.

In this bleak landscape, a peculiar crow, drawn by the allure of the familial blade of Joko's lineage, landed upon the cursed sword. This action, seemingly innocuous, catapulted the crow into a spirit realm, where the vengeful souls of Joko's ancestors resided. These spirits, bound by their thirst for vengeance, struck a pact with the crow: in exchange for elevating it to divine status, the crow was to guide the last of their blood to reclaim his birthright as king.

The blade, now cursed by the tormented souls, was entrusted to the crow. To bear this solemn weapon, the crow miraculously grew a third leg, granting it the strength to carry the sword. It flew to Joko, revealing its newfound ability to communicate and conveying the weighty responsibility he unknowingly bore.

Joko, initially overwhelmed by the sudden turn of events and the enormous burden placed upon his young shoulders, was hesitant. However, the crow, now his mentor, imparted a crucial lesson: the inherent burden and blessing of responsibility. It showed Joko the heart-wrenching reality of a world suffering under the shogun's tyranny, stirring a sense of duty within him. The crow's words rang true: inaction in the face of evil was tantamount to complicity.

The Crow told him the name of the blade, "Hanwon" had two different interpretations. It could either mean the origin of suffering, or the root of inspiration. Wounds inflicted by the sword would never stop bleeding- a single cut would prove fatal. It was a weapon fit for training a king- as violence was only to be resorted to when the gravity of the situation called for it as absolutely necessary. Under the crow's guidance, Joko embarked on rigorous training in swordsmanship, mastering the art while understanding the dire consequences of each stroke of the cursed blade. His training was not merely physical but also a journey of moral and spiritual growth, preparing him to wield power judiciously.

Now, as Joko approached his golden birthday, the age of 23, he stood at the precipice of his epic adventure. The time had come for him to step out into the world, a world teeming with danger and darkness, yet also holding the promise of redemption and restoration. With the crow by his side, the legacy of Esolu in his heart, and the cursed sword in his hand, Joko was ready to embark on a journey that would test his mettle, challenge his beliefs, and grow into the title of king the land is waiting for him to reclaim.

Last edited:
Well, this is my favorite! Far-off places, daring swordfights, magic spells, a prince in disguise?! Sign me up!!

I'm also interested. It's rare to find anything of this caliber, as of late.

Interested with question, will Discord only used as OOC?
Also what is your expectation for the posting time? Like once a week? Once two week? Or maybe several in a week?

Interested with question, will Discord only used as OOC?
Also what is your expectation for the posting time? Like once a week? Once two week? Or maybe several in a week?
Awesome! Yeah discord will be the main ooc platform. I don’t have any expectations for posting. Once a week or several times a week would be great but life happens. As long as people communicate we’ll make things work

Here's the rp thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back