• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Fidgeting was a dead giveaway. Ren didn't care. He just kept on twirling a lock of hair around his finger and pretended not to notice the outside world.

And it would have been fine if it weren't for Akechi cutting through the white noise. He'd make out that crisp bell-like voice in any crowd.

"It'd be nice to grab ramen with someone other than Ryuji. He slurps so loudly when we go out to eat. It's kinda gross."

He was totally joking, but few would notice unless they were attuned to Ren's dry sense of humor.

"You have fare for the train, right?"

Another chuckle escaped the detective, not because he realized Ren was joking, but because the imagine in his head was more than humorous.

"Some people take that as a compliment, that someone really likes the food, y'know." He shrugged as the two started to trudge down the stairs to the subway, the underground halls just as crowded as they always were.

"But, regardless, ramen sounds nice. It's been quite a while since I've gone out to eat with a friend. Sae-san and I frequent a seafood place right next door to the office, but that's really the only time I go out to eat." Though, their conversations were far from casual. Sae generally brought more work for them to trudge through while they waited for their meals.

"Of course. I have... Enough money to be able to throw around, thanks to my media appearances and such." While it was partially true, that his job as a detective paid better than any job someone his age could generally get, he had to leave out the part that his father was an extremely influential politician, and by extension, rich.​

The fact that it was a Sunday only worsened the foot traffic. Ren couldn't count the number of times someone had bumped into him; of those people, only half of them had the decency to apologize. Truly, this was God's test of his patience.

Somehow, he wasn't surprised that Akechi's only form of socialization amounted to dinner with his boss. Ren contemplated saying something about it, but he let it drop. Last time the topic had came up, he'd worked himself into a fervor insisting that Akechi made the most of his youth. Bold words, coming from a high school delinquent.

"Cool, because I left my wallet at home."

Ren pushed onward, weaving through the crowd. He was at the fare machine, waiting for Akechi, when he broke out into a smile. "Just kidding." He held up his phone, showing off the transit app that held his funds. "I wouldn't make you pay."

Akechi thankfully benefited from people giving him a few inches of space. Sure, it was far too crowded for people to give more than a passing wave or hello, and perhaps the occasional shouted compliment. Thankfully, all he had to do was smile and nod at those.

"That's fine. Again, it's not like I don't have money to spare." Akechi was quick to deposit yen for his own fare, turning back to Ren as he revealed he was just messing with the poor detective. A soft laugh at his antics followed as he let Ren handle things on his end before the duo continued down the busy halls.

"Does that mean you're not making me treat you, either?" It was prodding question that clearly was meant to be a joke, though even Akechi wasn't great at voicing his tone in a comedic fashion.

"Come to think, have you met Sae-san? I know she mentions occasionally stopping at LeBlanc, much more frequently when she was trying to get info out of Sojiro-san."​

Ren would have answered Akechi then and there but the train pulled in just as they crossed the turnstiles. He didn't think, just ran—after grabbing Akechi by the wrist and hauling him along. "Excuse us, sorry, can't miss our train!"

The soothing tones of the station echoed over the PA system, reminding all passengers to be careful as they boarded. Ren snorted as they filtered in through the doors and eked out an area to stand in. Poor Akechi had to lean against the guard-rail while Ren dangled off one of the handstraps. "And there goes all concept of personal space..." he mumbled to himself, mere inches away from the guy who sparked his curiosity.

As the train took off, Ren remembered Akechi's question. "No, I've never met her before. I think I might've seen her once in passing, though? She's..." He mulled over the right word to use. "Intimidating."

"R-Ren, what're you...!?" It took him a short moment to realize Ren was having them book it to actually catch this train. While he personally wouldn't have minded waiting another 10 or 15 minutes, it seemed Ren was determined to catch this one. To each their own, he thought.

"You get used to it." Akechi was mostly unperturbed, and frankly a bit thankful that Ren was the one sandwiched close to him, as opposed to a crazed fan or something similar. He'd had some... Strange types on the train with him before.

"She certainly is. She has a soft side, but seldom shows it. It must be hard, being a woman in a field mostly dominated by men..." While there wasn't much room for manuvering, he did find the space to brush a hand through his hair as he often did while choosing his next words. "If anything, Sae-san is a genius. I've seen her in the courtroom on a few rare occasions, and she's a sight to behold. Plus, she's Makoto's guardian, isn't she?"​

Ren gave an awkward shrug, thinking back to his conversations with Makoto; she'd mentioned an older sister before, but nothing about her parents. It was certainly within the realm of possibility that Sae was Makoto's legal guardian, but he hadn't exactly pried about the sordid details of their family drama. "Honestly, I think you know more about Makoto's situation than I do. You're the one who works with her sister."

While the train rattled away, Ren's hand went for his pocket. He stopped himself just shy of actually pulling his phone out, feeling a little self-conscious about texting while out with Akechi. Would he be judged for being rude? Ren didn't want to take his chances.

Okay. Small talk. He could do this.

"What made you interested in law?"

“She hates talking about her life. If I’m lucky I get the occasional “how have your studies been”, but aside from that, she never talks about her own life.” The boy shrugged as he thought about the dozens on dozens of times he tried to get Sae to open up, only to get an evasive answer in response.

“I’m fairly certain she’s Makoto’s guardian, though. I’ll have to clarify it with her at some point.”

Ren’s next question caught him fairly off guard. He’d been asked the question on TV at least a dozen times by now, but never gave his real answer.

“My sole desire is uncovering the truth. It might not come as a surprise that our justice system is... Shaky at best. I want to be part of the people who change that.” He was uncharacteristicacally serious, at least compared to how he was around Ren.​

"An agent of change, huh?" Ren murmured. "How ambitious." And how unlike anything he'd ever considered for himself. Floating through life, staying out of trouble-- well, that wasn't entirely true. He'd been a bit of a firebrand himself before getting slapped with his probation.

"What good is the truth, though, if it hurts people?" he asked, wanting to tease out the nature of Akechi's drive. "Do you view it as justified, in and of itself?"

“That’s one way of putting it. I wish to see justice given to those who deserve it, no matter their station or wealth.” It was a difficult statement to say. On one hand, it all stemmed from his deep hatred of his father, wanting to see him taken down for his actions.

On the other, though, he had done such unspeakable things for the same father... Crimes he could never atone for.

“Sometimes it’s a small price to pay for the greater good of others. You’re familiar with the railcar dillema, yes? Where taking action saves more people than not, but you have to live with the guilt of sending someone to their death? It’s like that, at least in my ears.”​

"Justifying a decision based on raw numbers implies that you can quantify the human experience. What gives someone the right to choose five over one? It's the same as playing god."

Ren met his gaze, a fire in his eyes, smoldering beneath the glass of his lenses.

"Do you really believe that inaction is worse than murder?"

“It’s not that simple, Ren.” Akechi could already tell he had talked himself into a long conversation. Though, his detective side couldn’t let him just roll over and ignore stating his opinion.

“Look at Okumura. I believe just the same as you that the Phantom Thieves didn’t kill him. Though, with him out of the picture, hundreds and hundreds of overworked employees, dozens of businesses, and even Haru herself have found new life breathes into them.”

He paused and sighed at his next words. “That’s just one example, though. It truly depends. Though, look at your own situation. Would you have rather not saved that woman from that drunkard?” He hated that his words came out as a bit harsh, but he was just trying to make his point.​

"But that wasn't murder."

He averted his gaze, lest he burned a hole through Akechi's skull with the way he was glaring.

"I thought this was going to be a technical discussion about law, not an argument about ethics."

“Neither is finding someone guilty in the law. I don’t deal with cases that might result in the death penalty often.” Akechi brought a nervous hand to his neck, worried he was setting Ren off.

“Your questions haven’t entirely been about law. Is there something specific you’re looking to hear?” A sigh followed his words, not one of frustration, but confusion.

He opened his mouth, closed it, then lapsed into silence. Had he been expecting a specific answer?

Ren shook his head, then mumbled, "It just seems like a roundabout way of achieving your goals. Working within the system is a slow process. Some things should simply be torn down."

“Not everyone has the same power to reform as the Phantom Thieves. Some changes take time.” Akechi paused and lowered his voice.

“That’s why I wish to see the justice of the Phantom Thieves. To find out if it truly is a just way to change our society.” Determination willed his words on, though his face was nothing but troubled.​

"You do realize we're a bunch of teenagers who don't actually know what we're doing, right?"

A brave front was just that, a front. While he had assumed the role of leader willingly, it was circumstance which had led him there. First to awaken, power of the Wild Card—Ren liked to put on a show of confidence, but he was really winging it as they went.

"Not that ignorance is much of an excuse." Ren grit his teeth. "Whatever happened to Okumura won't happen again. Not on my watch."

“You’ve taken down criminals that have eluded the police for months. You’ve managed to turn a one time miracle to a consistent stream of hope for the people.” He kept his voice hushed as they neared their stop.

“I believe that. You’re not one to take things lightly, Ren.” With a dull voice on the speaker system, the two got off at their stop, the ramen shop not much further.

“Sorry if I’ve been too serious. Lead the way to this ramen shop you’re talking about.” Akechi gestured forward as they exited the station, a grin on his face.​

They had achieved more than most people could dream of. Yet that didn't shake the feeling like he was always being watched, as though someone expected the world of him. Ren took a deep breath and expelled the frustrations weighing upon his shoulders.

Though he had come to expect less than fairness from Akechi, Ren wouldn't turn away a kind assessment from his... would rival be the right word to use?

They walked side-by-side, falling into an easy pace. Despite Akechi having a few centimeters on him, Ren didn't have to hustle to keep up, unlike whenever he and Yusuke roamed the city in search of 'inspiration'.

"It's just over here." Ren led Akechi into a small hole in the wall and waved to the owner in greeting. They were seated at the counter and given a pair of menus to look over. Ren already knew what he wanted and said as much.

So while Akechi perused their selection, he set about making a little chopstick stand with the wrapper. "I like superhero stories. They're formulaic and predictable, but I find that's part of their appeal. There's none of the guesswork or surprises you have to deal with in real life."

“Wonderful.” Akechi smiled as they entered the small restaurant, instantly being greeted and brought to a table. The waiter went on for a moment about being thrilled to serve the detective prince, but didn’t stick around to bother them for long.

“Mm, I must say I agree. If only our own life was that cut and dry... Perhaps making the hard choices would be easier.” It was a bit sour, his tone, as he gently tapped his hand on the table.

“If only...” He trailed off as the two were brought water, and he quickly took a sizeable gulp.​

The way Akechi hemmed and hawed didn't escape Ren's notice; without a camera pointed on him, the young detective was prone to letting his disdain for certain topics show.

Ren propped an elbow up on the counter and rested his cheek against the palm of his hand. "I don't think we'd need stories at that point. Without challenge, we'd grow complacent as people."

Akechi sat down without a word of complaint, and the two ordered before they got too comfortable in their conversation. As the food was prepped, they were given a glass of water to tide them over as they waited.

"It's quite quaint. I haven't eaten somewhere nice and simple like this in forever. It's either frozen meals at home or fancy seafood with Sae-san. It's a nice change of pace." A chuckle followed as he continued to scan the menu overhead despite having ordered.​

Whether it was intentional or not, a sense of sadness always prefaced Akechi's remarks about his unusual schedule. Was the prestige of being a well-known detective worth the price of normalcy? Ren couldn't fathom having to sacrifice his freedom for the superficial adoration that came with Akechi's work.

The waitress returned with a small appetizer on the house and Ren reached over to pluck a pod of beans off the plate. "Welcome to the glamorous lifestyle we call 'hanging out with friends'." He popped a bean into his mouth and went on, "Speaking of which, the last time I came here, Ryuji spilled his entire bowl on his pants. The face he made was priceless. I thought he was going to die on the spot; he kept apologizing to the staff while shuffling to the bathroom, only to find out it was already occupied."

Ren shook his head. "He stood by the door, soaking with broth, for a good ten minutes before the lady before him finally came out. I felt so bad I paid for his replacement."

Akechi was quick to help himself to the appetizer as well, popping a few beans into his mouth with a gentle and sophisticated way of eating. Just as he finished chewing, he let out a surprisingly loud chuckle at Ren's story about Ryuji.

"Poor guy. Misfortune seems to come surprisingly naturally to him... He always gets back up from whatever strikes him, though. It's impressive." Akechi took a short sip of his water before taking a quick look at his phone. Not a message to be seen from Sae, for once.

"You've known him for quite a while, isn't that right?"​

"Since I moved to Tokyo. He and I have been making trouble since day one." Fondness settled into his voice, lifting the corners of his mouth. Ren folded his arms upon the counter and a quiet scoff escaped his lips. "He admits it himself that he's not the brightest guy, but he's got a good heart. And honestly, I think Ryuji's more perceptive than people give him credit for. He always puts others first, even if they take him for granted. Sure, he's opinionated and he'll let you know it, but that's just it - he's genuine."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back