• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

satanael

it's showtime !

a redemption arc rp between dev & besdy

yeah a boyfriend sounds nice but a supreme enemy you can makeout with sometimes in secret sounds a lot more hardcore

Last edited:
Desperate fingers on a clean, smooth screen, typing away as a young girl continued to look up at the passersby, and back down to her phone. She was torn on what to do after some recent troubling news regarding her own mother, and was desperate to talk about it to someone. Anyone. Though, it wasn't something she could confide in a fellow Shogi player. No, it had to be someone who would keep it secret... And while Hifumi barely knew the girl she was writing a message to, it was her best bet, at this point.

> Takamaki-san, I apologize for sending you a text out of the blue like this. I know you gave me your number so we could coordinate a photoshoot with our agents, but I crave a boon from you. I've been... Troubled on something as of late, and you were the first person to jump to mind, after you were so kind to me and helped me ease into my earlier photoshoots.

> If you happen to have any time, I'd love to sit down and talk for a while. I've got a lot of things to get off my chest to someone; anyone at this point. I'd be happy to treat you to a meal in exchange for your time.

> Sorry again to bother you, Takamaki-san. I hope your day is treating you well.

It was a fairly to the point text, as Hifumi saw little reason to dump her troubles on the model through a text. Ann Takamaki, a girl she'd only met a handful of times, and talked to even less. When her mother found her popularity through an agent, photoshoots were the first thing to come her way. Ann Takamaki had been kind enough to show her the ropes, and give her some gentle pointers. She appreciated it, in truth, even if she wasn't fond of the fame she had garnered from her recent boost in popularity.

In a separate group chat, one meant for the Phantom Thieves, the same old post school discussion went on.

> What's the plan for today? We've yet to come across a worthwhile target, but now that we have Akechi with us, perhaps another trip to Mementos would be in order?
Haru was the one to kick off the discussion today, being one of the newer members as well, she tried her hardest to adapt to the new lifestyle.

>Unless Ren's found something recently, we don't have any targets, and the next area is still locked to us. Okumura's gate was the last one to open, and I haven't sensed any changes since.
Futaba followed up, not entirely agaisnt the idea, but unsure what purpose such a trip would have.

While the cat was fond of the text discussions that the group had, even if he himself couldn't participate in them, he couldn't exactly read the one going on today from within Ren's bag. With school having just let out, it left them the time to figure out what they'd be doing for the afternoon. "What's the plan for today?" Peeking his head out of the bag after they were a fair distance from the school grounds, Morgana inquired the boy's plans.

Last edited:
PI PI PI! On her way to Leblanc, Ann paused at the chirp of her phone. She rummaged through her purse, brushing aside napkins, extra pens, a tube of eyeliner she thought she'd lost forever, and plucked out her cell. Whew, talk about an ordeal!

Her eyes widened at the notification on her screen. This was the first time Hifumi had reached out to her first. "I wonder if Togo-san likes sweets," Ann mused to herself, expecting the text to be an invitation out.

On the contrary, the message was a plea for help. Or at least, that's how Ann read it. ... Most of it, anyway.

Crave a boon? Ann thought to herself, brows knitting together in perplexion. Maybe Makoto would know what that phrase meant-- ahh, but then wouldn't Makoto just worry? Deep breaths, Ann, you can handle this yourself!

> hi, togo-san! i'm sorry to hear you're feeling troubled by something. do u want me to meet up with you somewhere? i'm near leblanc rn!

In case she couldn't find the right words to say, at least there'd be a slice of cake - a touch of sweetness - to lift Hifumi's spirits up.

--​

At the sound of Morgana's inquisitive voice, Ren lifted his hand and reached over to scratch between his ears. His eyes roamed over the messages from his friends, his allies, and he chewed on his lip in thought. (Yusuke had mentioned in passing that that bad habit of his would lead to chapped lips). "I wonder... Maybe Akechi knows something we don't."

> idk bout u guys but lik didnt ann have plans? are we going w/o her?

> If that is the case, perhaps we should confirm with her that it is OK to proceed.

Ignoring the pings from the group chat for the time being, Ren flipped through his contacts and hovered his thumb over Akechi's. He hesitated.

Ah, to hell with it. Ren could endure a smug grin here or there. A smug text would be even easier to deflect.

> Do you have a second?

Last edited:
> That would be most appreciated, if it's not too much to ask, Takamaki-san.

Hifumi let out a gentle, yet relieved sigh, as she got the text back from Ann. While she was glad to hear the girl didn't seem to mind hearing her out, it brought the next issue to trouble the girl to surface. How was she going to just dump all of this on Ann? Maybe she'd start off with smaller things, instead of going straight to her mother bribing an entire competitive sport federation in order to garner fame and wealth for her family. Sure, maybe the intentions were pure, but the methods certainly weren't...

> I can be down there before too long. LeBlanc is that tiny cafe in the area, yes? I've never been, but I see the doctor down the street sometimes. I'm not far from the trains, but I'm out in Kanda at the moment. Ten or fifteen minutes, hopefully, and I'll be there.

She was quick to change the direction she was walking. Before she made the decision to contact Ann, she'd been headed to the church she generally practiced at. Even if she couldn't find it in her to play that evening, it was still a nice, quiet place, away from the prying eyes of fans and adorers.

At least, it used to be. In recent days, fans had been starting to pester her in the church, which made her feel awful both from a perspective of having to turn them down, as well as bringing unwanted attention to the kind priest who allowed her to play there.

---

It was a crowded train ride, as they always were this time of day, but before too long, she was in Yongen-Jaya, an area she was far from familiar with. She knew how to get to her clinic without much issue, but finding the cafe took her a bit longer than it likely should of. Directions weren't her strong suit...

When she got inside, giving a gentle hello to the man inside, she ordered whatever he recommended, sitting in a booth and pulling out her phone.

> I'm here. I'm happy to order you a drink now, so it's ready when you get here.

---

> I haven't heard from her. I saw her leave school and gave her a hi, but that's about it. Ann-chan, are you busy?

Haru sent the text as if typing her name would summon her in some way. She was innocent to a tee, and not exactly great when it came to tech.

>She's probably busy with a photoshoot. Happens a lot.

---

Akechi had been keeping tabs on the Phantom Thieves chat, though hadn't said much. If a plan came together for a trip to Mementos, he'd come along, of course, but being new and a bit of a black sheep to the Thieves, he didn't say much.

Though, when a lone message came from Ren, it piqued his interest. He had just left the police headquarters after a chat with Sae-san, and while he certainly wished he could have stayed longer to help the overworked woman, she insisted he head home.

> On occassion.

A small grin crept on his face at his own joke.

> Is something up? If it's a Phantom Thief meetup, I can be at LeBlanc at your command.

Last edited:
Another handful of starkly formal texts came through. Ann steadied herself with another rousing inhale-and-exhale. Ten minutes gave her plenty of time to step inside, greet Sojiro, and have a seat.

The bells tinkled as she pushed the door open. Ann shot Sojiro a cheerful grin and received a curt yet not unkind nod in response. He gestured with a newspaper to one of the booths and Ann made herself cozy. Now would be a good time to see what her friends had been talking about.

> u guys can go without me! busy with a friend. it's rly important, sorry!

A missed trip to Mementos wasn't that big of a deal. If anything, taking a break from running around smacking Shadows would leave her pumped up and energized for their next training session.

"Your pal's upstairs. It's his day off." Ann nearly jumped at that, pressing a hand to her racing heart. A cup and saucer clinked in front of her, courtesy of Sojiro.

"O-oh! Oh, thank you! Actually, I'm not here to see Ren. I'm meeting up with another friend of mine." Ann let out a nervous laugh and hastily lifted the coffee to her lips, - "Careful, it's hot," - almost burning herself in the process.

With a nonchalant roll of his shoulders, Sojiro drifted back behind the counter.

Ann winced and set her cup down, leaving the coffee untouched. Anxiously, she went for her phone and spied another text from Hifumi.

> look to your left!

Chipper as can be, Ann waved at the girl who'd just stepped inside the cafe.

--​

Never, in his entire life, had Ren texted back with the eye-roll emoji as fast as he did just now.

> 🙄
> Hilarious.
> No, I was wondering if you'd heard anything.
> Shouldn't you have all kinds of insider knowledge, Detective Prince?

Last edited:
Hifumi walked into the cafe and completely failed to notice Ann as she ordered, before hearing her phone buzz and taking it out once again. She expected the girl to just say she was on her way, or something of the sort. "Huh?" The text struck her as odd upon reading it, but as she followed the directions and looked to see Ann to her left, she must have turned as red as her Panther outfit. She was out of it, that made her sure of it. Normally, she was far more perceptive than she was letting on.

"Takamaki-san...!" Chuckling and recollecting herself, she took her coffee from Sojiro after a moment, a gentle thank you escaping her, and joined Ann in the booth. "I'm so so sorry to call you out here on such short notice. I've been... Thinking about a lot of things, and just need to tell someone. I hope that doesn't sound odd... Your name was the first one to jump out to me in my contacts, so..." Speaking a bit faster than she normally would, she eventually just went silent and took a deep breath.

"That is to say, thank you for your time." Putting it simply, she took a sip of her coffee before starting to continue. "I've held shogi close to my heart for years, now, ever since my father played and taught me when I was young. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that, it's all over magazine covers, nowadays..." A sigh left her lips as she tapped the side of her cup passively.

"I recently learned my mother has been bribing my opponents. I've always given a substantial amount of my winnings to my family, to help us pay bills and buy food, and such, but apparently she's been doing this all to get me famous. I understand her intentions, but..." Her grip became physically tighter on her cup, as she stared down at the coffee.

"I don't want to be famous, especially if it's through such... Underhanded ways." Another sigh escaped her as she took another sip of her coffee, changing the subject for a moment. "This is truly delicious. I don't drink coffee that often."

A pause followed as she simply stared off into space for a moment. "I don't know how you do it, Takamaki-san. Being on camera that much, being on magazine covers and TV... It drives me insane, if I'm being honest. I miss when I could just... Play in peace, without people asking for autographs, or dates, or whatever they want. How do you deal with it?"

---

> We can save it for another day. I've got Featherman episodes to catch up on, anyways. Beep me if you guys need anything.

>Oooh, is that the show you've been telling me about, Futaba-chan?

> I can send you a link, if you wanna watch it.

> That would be wonderful!

> It's in your inbox. Probably best you throw it up on one of those huge TVs in your place.

> I will!

---

Akechi assumed that Ren could be asking for info on any number of thing, and while he was tempted to crack another joke at his expense, Ren seemed serious. Though, it was rare for him to not seem serious.

> Is there something specific you're referring to? If you're asking about targets for the Phantom Thieves, I must admit not much has been jumping to the police's attention as of late. Aside from, of course, the Phantom Thieves. If there's something else you mean to ask about, please, I'm all ears. I'm happy to meet in person, if that's easier.

> Ann, I hope everything's all right. Let us know if you need anything.

> Futaba, I've been meaning to share this with you.

> [featherman_blue.png]

> its blnak?????

> Pinch the screen in order to zoom out.

> Yusuke, what is the DPI of this image...?

--​

"No dice," Ren murmured to himself, not at all surprised that Akechi's proposition to join forces was working more in the detective's favor. He tilted his head back and leaned against the side of his bed. Amongst his bad habits was sitting on the floor without first mopping up.

Rather than humor Akechi with anymore ammo, he flipped back to the Phantom Thieves group chat and got an eyeful of... Yusuke's eclectic art style. Well, this could go one of two ways: Either Futaba was salivating over the content or she was typing up a rant about the proper portrayal of her beloved characters.

> DPI. Dicks per inch.
> Queen has removed you from the conversation.

Okay, he deserved that.

> Akechi, re-add me.

--​

> rest in fukin pieces joker

> He's the one who granted me admin permissions. He reaps what he sows.

--​

"Please, it's fine! I'm more than happy to hang out with you outside of work." The happy-go-lucky grin on Ann's face ebbed at the sight of Hifumi all haggard and frantic. Her face twisted in concern as a torrent of words flew at her. Anytime she thought there was an opening to speak, to offer words of comfort, Hifumi resumed; Ann caught herself multiple times and made a promise with herself to listen to Hifumi all the way through.

As the details took shape and the reason for Hifumi's visit began to crystallize, Ann felt her heart sink. Although she didn't struggle with the same pressures from her parents, she knew what it was like to have things decided for you and to be forced down a path you never chose to walk.

Absent-mindedly, or perhaps it's what she would have wanted in Hifumi's shoes, Ann reached over and clasped her hand over her friend's. The empathetic smile that found its way back onto her face was two-parts wistful and one-part wry. "To be honest with you, it's not as though I like all the attention either. It's just-- People have always given me looks for being different. When I stumbled into modeling, I realized that I had something people wanted, even if they didn't want to admit it. I guess, in a way, I was trying to prove myself. You know?"

Gently, she pulled back and cupped her mug of coffee. Ann peered into the dark liquid and shook her head. "Togo-san, this is just me throwing ideas out there, but, um, is your mom... is she trying to live her life through you? Like, I wonder if she's putting you through all this because she's the one who wants to be famous. In which case, you really need to pull her aside and tell her how you honestly feel. Even before getting into the whole bribery piece of it."

Last edited:
> Very leaderlike of you...
> But, aye aye, captain. Just a moment.

Akechi had been keeping an eye on the main chat as he walked towards the subway, and while he did let a chuckle escape him at Ren's joking around, he had to admit, he would have kicked him from the chat as well. He gave it a nice second to set in before letting Ren back into the group chat without a word to the other Thieves.

> Was there anything else you wanted to ask about? I can assure you, once info comes up about a target, you'll be the first to know.

"Was that really necessary?" By now, Morgana had climbed up onto Ren's shoulder, watching him type away in both Akechi's chat as well as the main chat. "Maybe we should get to something productive before we go texting the day away." Morgana let out a soft yawn before disappearing back behind Ren.
---
> Inari, do you have anymore pixels to give me with that image?

> I didn't take Ren to be someone to make those kinds of jokes...

> He's like that. Ryuji would too, if he knew how to type better than an infant.

> I see...

> Sorry to interrupt this joyous conversation. Makoto, I take it your sister hasn't given you any leads, either? I spoke with her for a while today, she seemed horribly stressed, but I assume that's just thanks to the Phantom Thieves.

> I like the idea of the cops being pissed off thanks to us. Hehe. Ryuji, you ever butt heads with the 8 - 0? Or, wait, is the slang 5 - 0...

---

"I'm glad to hear it. I, uh, don't socialize that much... I generally spend my time practicing alone up in Kanda, or on occasion with my competitors. That, or competing and working on my studies." She gave a smile and a nod to the energetic girl, before taking another sip of her coffee. They'd been chatting for a few minutes at best, and she was already near the bottom of her cup.

After rambling on for long enough, she went quiet and allowed Ann to speak what she thought about the issue. She was thankful there weren't any other customers around, for both of the girl's sake, but couldn't help but to worry about the barista overhearing their conversation. He seemed more than content with the afternoon news, at least.

When Ann reached out to grab her hand, she gently flinched. Not that she didn't mind the gesture at all, it just caught her off guard. Nobody had grabbed her hand in such a kind way since her father when she was younger. A soft, involuntary yelp escaped her as she nodded to Ann as if to say she didn't mind the gesture. Part of her wanted to derail the conversation and ask her how she kept her hands so soft. Moving pieces of wood across a board also made of wood didn't do much good for her own hands.

"Yeah... I get that. Now that I'm getting more exposure, I've got so many boys at school and outside of it trying to flirt with me and take me on dates... I don't look any different than I did before I blew up. I bet they all just think I'm rich or something." She rolled her eyes at the thought. Frankly, she'd lost count of how many desperate boys she'd turned down for dinner by now.

"I don't know for sure, b-but I think you're right." Hifumi was visibly surprised that Ann came to the same conclusion that took her days of mulling over why her mother would do something like this, but to Ann she figured it out in a few minutes. "I've tried to tell her I don't want to be famous, I just want to enjoy the game. Time and time again, she just gets angrier and angrier the more I contest it. 'This is for the good of our family, Hifumi!' she'll say, every time. But I really do think you're right... If I confront her about the bribery, I'm sure she'll deny it. I don't have any proof. I overheard someone talking about it at my last tournament..."

With one last sip of her coffee, she slid the empty cup off to her side so she could prop her arms on the table, resting her face in her hands for a moment, before looking up at Ann. "I just feel stuck, you know? What's the point of playing if I can't actually enjoy it...? I've given quitting some thought, but mother would never approve of it..." Another sigh, a habit that she rarely found herself humoring before she found all of this out, save a post-photoshoot sigh of relief.​

Last edited:
> yeah rite. like i'd pick a fite with a cop. r u outta ur mnd?
> n who ru callin an infant? ur lik 12

> I never thought I'd live to witness such an impassioned exchange of insults.

> Hello, Akechi. No, I'm afraid I've not heard anything from her, nor has she let slip any details.

Ren peered into his schoolbag where Morgana staked his claim. With a delicate sigh, he hefted the bag onto his shoulder and rose from the floor. Just then, Sojiro poked his head out from the stairs. "Hey, that blonde girl is here with some girl from Kosei. Don't go causing them any trouble, you hear?" Huh, what were both Ann and Hifumi doing at Leblanc? Not only that, since when did the two of them know each other?

> I hate to ask this of you, but if you do see her again, please remind her that it's okay to take a break every now and again. I'm sure you can word it better than me. You might even have a chance of convincing her.

As much as he wanted to announce his return to the group chat and assert dominance, the tense back-and-forth between Akechi and Makoto made Ren think twice.

Guess I'll go see what the girls are up to.

But not before responding to Akechi's text:

> How good is your English? I don't understand the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'.

--​

Ann's eyebrows shot up at the mention of boys, then furrowed in distress, only to end up knitted in vexation. She made a face - she couldn't help it - and mumbled in solidarity, "Guys are the worst, aren't they?"

Annoyance gave way to discomfort. People always say that no one has the right to tell someone else how to raise their child, but Ann was pretty sure that Hifumi's mother had a thing or two to learn about supporting her daughter. If her folks ever cornered her and pushed her to take on more assignments, Ann didn't doubt for a second that she'd grow to resent modeling.

"If only your mother would have a change of heart," Ann said, punctuating her statement with a sip of her coffee. She let that hang in the air, mulling over what Hifumi's next steps ought to be. Telling someone to 'hang in there!' just felt patronizing.

"Sorry, let me just reach over--"

Ann peered up at the all-too familiar voice and squeaked. "Ren! Don't sneak up on me like that!" She let out a huff as he grabbed Hifumi's mug and refilled it. "Jeez, Sakura-san said it was your day off. Were you upstairs this whole time?"

The boy just shrugged. "It's good to see you, Togo-san. Now I don't have to make introductions." Ren drifted away as quickly as he had come.

No wonder Sojiro was always grumbling about business. The people on staff were giving their customers heart attacks. "I didn't know you knew Ren. Small world, huh?" Ann glanced over just in time to catch Sojiro giving Ren an earful. Yikes.

--​

> Futaba, see what you can pull up on Hifumi's mother.

> oh shit. hav w got a hit?

> I am not 12!!! I'm 14, dummy!

Thankfully, for the sanity of the entire chat, Makoto's words regarding her sister seemed to stop Ryuji and Futaba from arguing for the rest of the evening.

> I've been trying to get her to kick back a little bit. She's reluctant to give any of her workload to me. I suggest she take a vacation, perhaps go on a trip with you, but she shot it down without much of a thought. Said she can't rest until the Phantom Thieves are taken care of.

Morgana looked up at Ren with an odd expression, confused why his beloved Lady Ann would be here with a girl that, as far as Ren and Morgana knew, she would only have known through Ren. Regardless, he stayed upstairs, knowing Sojiro would hurl him out the door if he came downstairs if there were customers around. "Make sure Lady Ann comes and at least says hello, before you scare her off."

---

"Yeah... I've never had a boyfriend or anything, but after all of this, I can't say I think I will. It just sounds like far too much effort..." She shook her head and shared a fairly similar expression to Ann. As the girl mentioned her having a change of heart, her eyes widened and she let out a worried yelp.

"A change of heart...? I mean, that'd be wonderful, but she's nowhere near on par with the other criminals that have had their hearts changed... Madarame, Kaneshiro... My mother isn't as bad as them. Or at least, I pray she isn't..." Out of the corner of her eye, she looked up and saw Ren approaching the table. It struck her as odd, through their chats, he'd mentioned nothing about working or living here, or even in the area....

The girl almost said something to Ann, before Ren approached and scared the life out of Ann. A gentle chuckle escaped her as Ren greeted her. "Likewise. I haven't seen you in a few days, I hope everything's been fine on your end." While she didn't mind confiding her troubles in Ann, she wasn't entirely confident in doing so with Ren. Not that she didn't trust the boy, or anything of the sort, they just weren't exactly that close. They mainly just played shogi together...

When the boy walked off, Hifumi looked to Ann with a confused look. "O-Oh, yes, we're acquainted. He helps me with my shogi moves on occasion. It's much easier to test things on someone else, instead of just playing against my mirror."

"Does he work here? You mentioned he's been upstairs..." Her eyes drifted over to the set of stairs in the corner of the room, leading up to what in her eyes was probably a storage room or something of the sort.

---

> Hifumi Togo? That shogi player you've been talking about? Will do.

> Wait, what about her? I've seen her all over magazines and on TV as of late, but did you learn something recently, Ren...?

> Her record seems clean. There's some rumors going around about Hifumi's recent success coming from cheating, but that's about it.

> Cheating? Ren, you've spent time with her, does she seem like the type?

> But nah, I'm not seeing much about it. Mitsuyo Togo, age 58. Hifumi seems to do fine in school, her grades are on par with Queen's.

Despite the nerdy bookish look, Ren really didn't strike Ann as the kind of person to play something as intellectually strenuous as shogi. Maybe she'd misjudged him. It wouldn't be the first time; he probably got a kick out of keeping the people around him guessing. One minute he was the epitome of reserved wallflower, the next he was jumping out of windows. Moron.

"Mhm, Ren's like Sakura-san's barista-in-training. I think." Ann laced her fingers together and beamed with pride. As big of a goofball as their dearly beloved Joker could be, he had a knack for charming people. "If you ever get the chance, you should try some of the coffee he makes."

She spared the counter another sidelong glance, only to grimace at the sight of Ren being put to task: Mop duty, oh boy.

"Speaking of which, do you like cake, Togo-san? Leblanc has the best coffee cake, it just crumbles right into your mouth. If you want to try some, I was thinking of getting a slice to split."

--​

Condemned to the kitchen, Ren put his back into every swipe of the mop. To act otherwise would mean inviting Sojiro's wrath upon him. Again.

He brought his sleeve to his forehead and wiped at the beads of sweat that were already forming. No doubt the team was waiting on him for a response. Of all the bad timing...

> Mitsuyo Togo... I believe she was at orientation during the start of the school year. She struck me as a very image-conscious individual.

> She attends Kosei, right? I might have seen one of her interviews.

As soon as the door opened and Sojiro was forced to engage with a customer, Ren whipped his phone out and hastily scanned the messages awaiting him.

> I overheard Ann mentioning her mother having a change of heart. Let's wait for them to wrap up, then see what she thinks.

"I see... Sakura-san seems a bit hard on him." Hifumi watched as Ren got chewed out by the older man, feeling a bit bad for the boy. His life seemed difficult, but she had never gotten him to open up on it. All she knew is he had transferred in to Shujin Academy from somewhere far off. Aside from that, she knew very, very little. Not that she needed to know everything about his life, though. It was none of her business.

"I'll have to come here more often, then. It's such a quaint little place." A chuckle escaped her for a short moment, before the offer of cake tempted her for a short moment. While it was tempting, after a moment, Hifumi shook her head at the offer.

"As tempting as it is, I've been trying to watch my figure... Mother doesn't want me gaining weight." A hand drifted up to her hair, playing with the orange accessory she wore within it. She took great care of her hair, and did even before she became somewhat of an idol. It framed her face quite well, and she was proud of it.

"Perhaps I should be going." She glanced at her phone for a moment, looking at the time. "If I'm out too late, my mother will bug me about it..." It was clear she had wanted to stay and keep talking with Ann, but her hands seemed mostly tied on the topic. "Thank you again for your time... I appreciate it. Sorry to bother you, again." She fished in her bag for a moment, leaving some yen on the table for her drink. If one was perceptive, it her eyes seemed to be a bit watery. As she stood, she gave Ann a quick nod, before heading out the door in a bit of a hurry.

---

> Sounds like a Mementos target at best. Someone check the Nav.

> Can't you check it Futaba?

> Busy. Featherman.

> I see.

> On the topic of Mitsuyo Togo, I know my father sponsored the people who organize the shogi events for a bit of time. I don't know if that means much to you guys.

> Not really. Your father was loaded.

> Her mom just seems like a bit of a weirdo. You lost me on the idea here, Ren.

---

> My English? I like to think it's passable. Takamaki might be the one to contact on questions like that. As far as I'm aware, affect is the causation, and effect is the aftermath. Think the term cause-and-effect, but replace cause with affect. I hope that makes sense.

> Anyways, about Mitsuyo Togo... I'm not quite sure I see where you're going with her. Is she really worth our time?

Everything happened so fast. Ann felt the familiar sting of embarrassment in her cheeks and found herself at a loss for words. She liked to think of herself as a considerate person, someone who always had the best at heart for others. Yet somehow her idea to cheer Hifumi up had gone and backfired on her.

"It's, it's really not a problem," she murmured, preoccupied with the sadness that clung to Hifumi's words. Ann knew she wasn't the most perceptive of people, but even she could sense the loneliness radiating off of her-- come to think of it, did Hifumi even consider her a friend? She must have. Mere acquaintances didn't divulge such personal matters between one another.

Ann stared at her phone and worried her lip, wondering if it would sound paltry to try and reassure Hifumi over text. Listlessly, her thumb danced over the keys.

> let's spend time together again soon! <3

After hitting send, Ann pocketed the device and perched her elbow upon the table. She tucked her cheek against her palm and drummed her fingers against the table, wishing she'd only just known Hifumi better.

Ren slid into the booth across from her and tilted his head to the side, as though he were waiting for some sort of explanation.

"... I don't know how to help her, Ren. She looked so depressed."

Ann let out a sigh and rested her head against the table.

"Mm. You know, up until now," Ren paused, sparing a glance around the cafe. It was quiet at this hour, meaning they could afford to speak freely. "We've been chasing after bigger and bigger targets. I get why that is, but. I can't shake the feeling that there's more to all this. Call it a leader's intuition."

Ann didn't budge from the cold surface. "I dunno. She mentioned her mother bribing people."

> man i'm so hungry right now

> As am I.

> I could be convinced to treat the two of you if I see an improvement in your grades.

> nvm i'm full

> I guess bribery is a little beneath us.

> That depends on whose influence is being bought.

Just as she left the cafe, Hifumi immediately felt bad for dashing off in the way she did. Ann didn't deserve the rudeness of leaving without much of a goodbye... But, it was true, if she was out too long, her mother would question her about it. She wasn't entirely sure, but she sometimes feared her mother kept track of her location through her phone or something. When she started practicing in Kanda, her mother knew before she had mentioned it at all...

> If you'd enjoy that, of course.

She couldn't help but smile at the girl's cheerful text. While she certainly didn't know much about Ann, she seemed like a real sweetheart, for sure.

> I...

> I apologize for leaving how I did. I got a bit overwhelmed talking about everything, and I really do need to be home soon.

She realized she hadn't said much to Ren, either, so decided to shoot the boy an apology text.

> Sorry I left without much more than a hello. I'm tied up for the next few days, but if you find time in the near future, I'd love to play some more games.

With that, she got herself home, dodging questions from her mother about where she'd went. When her mother was finally satisfied with the story of her just going out to get coffee and study, which was half true, she retreated to her room and spent the rest of her evening jumping between shogi and studying, keeping her phone nearby to keep in touch with the others.

---

> Ren, do you want me to keep digging on Mitsuyo?

> I didn't know if this was something that warranted deep searching. I could get into some of her more private info, maybe even her conversations through text.

> That part might take planting something on her phone, though...

> We could see if Hifumi would help us with that. Like how Makoto planted your bug on Sae's computer, right?

> It'd be the same premise, yeah.

> I checked the Nav on Mitsuyo.

> And???? Don't just say that and leave us in the dark, Crow!
> Apologies. I suppose I just wanted to build tension. Mitsuyo Togo is a hit.

> Really!?!? That means...

> So she has a palace...? Does that mean we're going to change her heart?

> I dunno if she's worth our time, tbh. We've got bigger fish to fry.

"If you stay like that, you'll leave a mark on your face."

Ann plucked herself off the table and rubbed at her cheek. A snort from Ren confirmed everything that she needed to know, long before she pulled up her camera app. Yeah, her face was a little red from planting it against the table, but it'd go away in a minute or two. "Mm, I should go say hi to Morgana and then head on home."

"Will you be okay?"

Heavy though her heart may have been, it softened at the concern in Ren's voice. Ann bobbed her head up and down and picked herself back up onto her feet. "Yep. 'cause I've got friends like you. And it makes me feel a bit better knowing you're Togo-san's friend, too."

The two of them exchanged smiles, then Ann strolled towards the stairs. "Helloooo, Morgana? You up here?" She kneeled down to pet him under his chin and hummed. "Your fur is so silky. What has Ren been feeding you all this time?"

--​

> I'd like to help her out, but I'll acknowledge that that's personal bias talking.

> tbh i think we should. if it was jus mementos w/e but she has a palace. we're not gonna jus leave one lyin aroudn

> We agreed that it'd be by unanimous decision. Honestly, I'm a little surprised that we haven't had any disagreements up until now.

> jankenpon

> Ryuji, no.

“Lady Ann!” Morgana practically leapt from Ren’s bed and ran across the attic to his favorite girl in the group. A gentle purr escaped him as he looked up at the girl. Not having a phone, he had very little of the recent discoveries in the chat. “Curry. A lot of curry.” A laugh escaped him.

“That and pretty basic cat food. It’s not as bad as you’d think.” Hopping up on the railing by the stairs, he laid down and continued talking. “Boss said you were downstairs with Hifumi. I didn’t know you two were acquainted.

———

> We can meet in the next coming days to discuss it. I’m busy for the next few with issues with the company, unfortunately...

> Works with me. Gives me more time to catch up on Featherman.

> Okumura’s Palace took up a lot of our time. So many new episodes...

Ann pulled a chair over and made herself at home. Around someone as cute and fluffy as Morgana, she just couldn't stay upset. "For what it's worth, Ren never mentioned her either." A pause. Ann's eyes widened. "Wait, are those two... but she said she didn't have a boyfriend. Ahh, does Ren have a crush on her?! Is that why he never told me?"

A guilty scandalized look spread across her face. Ann only ever gossiped with Shiho or Ryuji, the former being her bee-eff-eff and the latter, well, the latter had a big mouth.

--​

With so many people on board, getting all their schedules to align was no easy task. Ren looped a finger around one of his curls and flipped through his social media accounts, saving cat photos here and there. He had a penpal who'd appreciate the pictures.

Speaking of which...

> Are you a dog person or a cat person?

Now this was a true test of Akechi's character.

“Not that he’s ever mentioned to me. They just play Shogi together, generally on weekends. He scares off the people who actually want to get with her.” Morgana chuckled at the handful of occasions Ren had gotten people to screw off.

“If Ren didn’t mention it, how do you know her?” He was curious to a tee about the relationship between the two girls.

———

Akechi saw the question as slightly odd, taking a moment before he responded.

> That’s a tough one. I’ve always wanted a pet, the place I’m living doesn’t allow it at the moment, so my hands are tied. If I had to pick... Dogs, perhaps? Maybe it’s a bit generic, but I’ve always wanted a companion to help me in my detective work.

Ren, a shining knight in armor. Ann bit back a giggle at that particular mental image. He was a little scruffy for that, a bit too mischievous. Yet some girls went for the bad boys, didn't they? She'd been silly enough to daydream about that kinda stuff, too, back in middle school.

"We've collaborated in some photo shoots before. She was new to the scene so I gave her some tips! I guess you could call us co-workers but not really?" Hifumi had such a classic elegant beauty about her, the kind that made Ann just the teensiest bit jealous. She'd never been able to pull that look off, not with her beach blonde hair and runway features. But to each their own! "This was the first time she and I actually hung out like friends. I kinda missed that. Lately, it feels like I've been spending all my free time with Ryuji, ugh."

Granted, her only other options, aside from Shiho, were the student council president, an heiress, or Futaba. "Maybe I should convince Ryuji to try on some makeup the next time he drags me out..."

--​

He could have teased Akechi, could've given him a hard time for being so predictable. But there was just so much to unpack in that one text. Ren didn't have the heart to pull the rug out from under such sincerity.

> A dog would really suit you. Probably a shiba.

“He’s hopeless with women, anyways.” Morgana rolled his eye and laughed at Ren’s lack of charm, at least that he could notice from him.

“But that’s odd, she’s definitely beautiful, but not the type to be a model like you, Lady Ann. She doesn’t have your bursting confidence.” Morgana smiled at the girl as he licked at one of his paws.

———

> I hope to move out someday and get one of both, perhaps. A cat with less energy than Morgana would be much preferred.

"Well, it sounds like it wasn't really her idea. Her mom's putting her through all this stuff, just to be famous." Ann folded her arms and tilted her head, brow furrowing yet again over how easily Hifumi's mother could just... impose herself upon her own daughter's future. "I guess I'm worried that her mom doesn't have the best of intentions anymore. She doesn't think her mom's capable of being bad, though. Not in the way that Madarame or the others were like."

--​

> I can't believe you just insulted my cat.
> I'm telling him about this conversation.

"In her mind, it's probably just something to make their life that much easier. I'm sure she loves her mother, and being able to financially support her probably makes it all worth it, or at least partially so." Morgana let out a soft yawn, hopping off the railing and going back over to Ren's bed, now sitting at the foot of it.

"I heard Boss yelling at Ren. What'd he do this time?" Morgana nearly went downstairs to eavesdrop on whatever trouble Ren got himself into, but didn't want to get a similar yelling from Sojiro in doing so.

---

> It's not that it's a bad thing.

> I'm just a lower energy sort of person at home. Being a positive influence, media star, and a detective gets draining.

The days drifted by, like leaves falling from trees. Ann couldn't bring herself to focus on her studies through sheer willpower alone. Why was it that the one time she needed Makoto's help, her senpai was too busy to go over her notes? Argh, it was her fault for trying to ask at the last minute.

But not all hope was lost. Ann still had options. She just had to muster the courage to utilize them.

> togo-san! (˶′◡‵˶)are u good w/ math? want to study together?

Even if it was too close to exam season to pull up her grades, Ann still wanted to meet up with Hifumi and see how she was doing.

> ren what's the healthiest thing u kno how to make?

> Goya no shiraae. Why?

> can u make it in 30 min? enough for 2? i'll pay u?

> lol k

> ty!! ilu!!!

While she waited for a response, Ann began packing her bag. She carried an assortment of adorable pens and pencils; Shiho gifted her one for her birthday every year without fail. Come November, Ann wondered if Shiho would send her one in the mail.

The girl had frankly lost track of what day of the week it was, with all her worry and frustration, she'd been slacking on her daily habits. Her hair was getting a bit frayed and tangled, her morning tradition of brushing her hair and straightening it have been lost to her emotions. When she picked her phone up thanks to a ping coming from it, she realized it was already Thursday. Her focus in school had been all over the place, and she worried it might start talking a toll on her grades.

"Takamaki-san..." She muttered as she opened the message, looking around and finding a bench to sit on for a moment as she responded to her... Acquaintance? Friend? At this point, she wasn't wholly sure.

> I'm alright with it. Does Shujin have exams coming up?

It struck her as slightly odd that Ann reached out to her as opposed to any of her Shujin peers to study. Though, she didn't mind it, in truth.

> But yeah, I've got some time this afternoon, if you'd want to meet up for a few hours. I'm leaving Kosei right now, so wherever is easiest for you is fine.

With that, she stood up and started walking to the train station, assuming she'd have to take the line to somewhere else in order to meet up with Ann. She'd yet to contact Ren for a match in the past few evenings, busying herself with her thoughts at home...​

> awesome! how's about i meet u in ginza? it's closer to u & they have a rly nice park we can go to. i'm bringing food!

First, a quick stop at Leblanc, then a trip into the eastern part of town. Ann grabbed her bag, slipped on a baseball cap, then rushed out the door, letting Ren know that she was on her way to collect her snack from him.

Once she got to the cafe, Ren already had the meals tucked into nice little bento boxes and wrapped in individual furoshiki for easy transportation. Ann gaped at the packages and pointed at them. "You did this? Since when were you good at this kind of thing?"

Ren shrugged, dismissing her compliments as though she'd asked him about the weather. "Penpal. He's into this kinda thing."

That totally didn't answer her question but Ann grabbed the food off the counter and swore she'd pay him back by the end of day. It was just a matter of a few taps on a phone app, something she could take care of once she actually got on the train.

En route to Ginza, Ann cradled the boxes under her arm and swayed with the gentle rumble of the train car. She couldn't wait to share Ren's homemade cooking with Hifumi. If it was anything like his curry, her mouth would be watering for days.

At long last, Ann made it out to the park. Finding a shady spot beneath a tree, she set down her stuff and rummaged around in her backpack, tossing textbooks all around her as she dug up a towel for lounging on. Aww, this was gonna be so fun. An impromptu study sesh-turned-picnic!

> (˘꒳˘❀) found us a nice spot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back