Other Your favorite type of AU

Onmyoji

HanGuang-Jun
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
An alternative universe (also known as AU, alternative timeline, alternate timeline, alternative reality, or alternate reality) is a setting for a work of fan fiction that departs from the canon of the fictional universe that the fanwork is based on. For example, an AU fanfic might imagine what would have taken place if the plot events of the source material had unfolded differently, or it might transpose the characters from the original work into a different setting to explore their lives and relationships in a different narrative context. Unlike typical fan fiction, which generally remains within the boundaries of the canon set out by the source material, alternative universe fanfic writers explore the possibilities of pivotal changes made to characters' history, motivations, or environment, often combining material from multiple sources for inspiration.
AU stories are also sometimes used in official, though typically non-canonical, storylines, written by the creators of the original canon material.
~from Wikipedia

I was thinking about putting this thread in rp discussion forum but then thought it would be more interesting to explore broader application, not just rp, but also fanfiction, alternative history, comics multiverse... Everything that can somehow fall under alternative universe concept.

I like alternative timeline and canon divergent AU in fanfiction/rp a lot. Where you somewhat follow canon events until certain point and then something happens that brings the story into a totally different direction. Where things that happened in canon can still happen but under different circumstances and would lead to different results.

What are the most interesting types of AU for you?

Nice discussion :D

I'm a sucker for fix-it/timetravel AU. Especially when the source material has plenty of plot holes or an ending that simply doesn't satisfy me.
Same for Canon divergent AU, I love reading how people adapt the canon material to fit a darker narrative or a more realistic one. (Bonus point if it clears up miscommunication problems).

If I'm in a mood for romance, a well made Soulmate AU (bonus point if the characters hate theirs guts prior) is something I will reach for. Same for a College AU (though I do steer clear of Highschool AU...).

A magical AU can be nice from time to time, though I'm...pickier about them. Like an AU with vampire and werewolves ? Nope. Merfolks, ghost or not widely known folklore creatures? Totally in.

I don't often choose favorites of things because I change my interests very frequently. Currently, my alternate reality interest is in Media Transmigration.
This is the reality where a person is transported from their mundane reality into the world of a game, movie, comic book, etc.
They either remain themselves but take on the role of some central character(s): Like in the animated Dungeons & Dragons series from the 90s,
-OR- they take on the body of characters from that world they entered: Like the recent Jumanji sequels.

I'm sure a plethora of other examples exist, but those are some simple ones to reference to give examples.
Another example would be the theme of the video game "Comix Zone" that came out for the Sega Genesis back in the day.
Also, The Neverending Story movies.

Last edited:
A magical AU can be nice from time to time, though I'm...pickier about them. Like an AU with vampire and werewolves ? Nope. Merfolks, ghost or not widely known folklore creatures? Totally in.
aww yes. I also like fairytale AUs when the story is retold in a fairytale fashion and the setting is adjusted accordingly XD Sometimes it can end up weird but can be fun.

Not sure if this discussion also applies to fanart, as I am not that keen on fanfiction and canon roleplay 😅

Yes, it applies for everything, that's why I ended up making the thread in Genreal discussion rather than roleplay XD I must admit I didn't think about fanart at that moment while I still enjoy AU in fanart so good catch!

This might be a bit different, and I do not like these AUs if they are made especially in order to ridicule certain country, but I like when artists redraw characters, immersing the characters in another country's culture
Interesting. I don't see that too often in the fandoms I'm in, but for example when the franchise gets released in a new country sometimes you see influx of fanarts with the characters dressed in outfits of that country that just got a release and I find it very cute because it usually shows fans are happy the fandom is spreading to more countries.

They either remain themselves but take on the role of some central character(s): Like in the animated Dungeons & Dragons series from the 90s,
I loved that series lol That's certainly very interesting type of transmigration.

I loved that series lol That's certainly very interesting type of transmigration.

I think I have some episodes that were recorded on VHS buried in a box in a closet somewhere

I don't generally like fanfiction and the like, however I have found myself often captivated by protagonist-to-villain type of AUs. The most prominent example that comes to mind is Deku from Boku No Hero Academia becoming a villain instead of a hero.

There's something really amazing about the twisting of a "good" character's ideals and personality into a villainous spin, and such excellent bittersweet stories... or just tragic ones.

High school AU, modern AU when characters were from the past, fandom AU where you make fandom alter egos for OCs who weren't in a fandom before. The last is probably my fave, because working out what x character's bankai would be if they were a shinigami is just super fun.

Oh and toying with good character goes evil like Idea just suggested can be really fun too.

I'm not super into fanfic AUs but I read a great one for Hakuoki a while back where all the characters were in a band in modern times and it was really good. So much atmosphere and cool ideas.

There's something really amazing about the twisting of a "good" character's ideals and personality into a villainous spin, and such excellent bittersweet stories... or just tragic ones.
Yes! I like that kind of things too, they can turn out very interesting. ANd if it's fandom, timeline can change a lot if a 'good' character does something 'bad' that will change the course of story.

I'm not super into fanfic AUs but I read a great one for Hakuoki a while back where all the characters were in a band in modern times and it was really good. So much atmosphere and cool ideas.
Link or didn't happen (if you can lol) Sounds like a fun idea.

Yes! I like that kind of things too, they can turn out very interesting. ANd if it's fandom, timeline can change a lot if a 'good' character does something 'bad' that will change the course of story.

Link or didn't happen (if you can lol) Sounds like a fun idea.

I'll try to find a link to it and PM you. :) Might involve a bit of trawling through FF.net.

Same for Canon divergent AU, I love reading how people adapt the canon material to fit a darker narrative or a more realistic one. (Bonus point if it clears up miscommunication problems).
This, but the opposite. Not in a sort of 'fluff, everyone gets a happy ending' way, but more in a 'Saturday morning cartoon' kind of way. Taking a darker piece of media and having as much fun as possible by doing the opposite of the tone, like Saturday Morning Watchmen
I don't think I've ever seen someone do it that way in RP form, though.

Not gonna lie, I'm sucker for soulmate AUs and Daemon/His Dark Materials AUs. I really like reading different interpretations for how a character's soul might manifest.

It really depends on what fandom we're talking about. Generally speaking, I think it's fun to take a dark and gritty story and give the characters a reason to be happy or take a relatively lighthearted story and examine it from the opposite perspective.

In general though, I love that moment when you read something with a synopsis that sounds so outlandish, but then you finish reading it and your like "Damn. That author made this work." ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)

Oooooh. Also, it can be interesting to read those 'what if' scenarios, where two characters meet earlier/under different circumstances and how it may have changed things.

I love alternative history AUs. It’s one of my favourite ones. One really good example of this is The Man in the High Castle. I think it’s such an interesting take on how the World Wars would have affected politics and history on a global scale, if the other side won.

Also, more gritty takes on life. I think the whole “good guys” always win can make the superhero genre boring real fast. But taking a more gritty and realistic stance on something fantasy or sci-fi is really interesting to me. Gimme those levels of complexity.

Alternate Timeline AUs are just really interesting to me, I love seeing how a small change affects the whole Canon. Though I'm weirdly cautious about fix it AUs - not because im against my favorite characters being happy, but there are some that kind of change a character to be more 'perfect' to fix things if that makes sense, taking away a lot of the scope and depth that character had before.

When I'm in a sappy mood I tend to go for the fake relationship AUs, I don't know why I'm such a sucker for them, but they just hit all the right spots for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back