Science Would you help colonize Mars?

Alexander Time

Time Traveler
I'm sure many people have heard of NASA and SpaceX plans to colonize Mars, in fact, even the UAE has a plan to colonize the red planet. This project is an ambitious one, and certainly worthy of pursuit (at least, in my personal opinion). It will take some of our worlds most ingenious minds to make this happen, and even then, it could take decades (or, as in the case of the UAE, a century) before a Mars colony is realized.

Naturally, a colonization effort requires people to actually do the colonizing. Presumably thousands of them. There would be danger, hard work, emotional stress. But you would be part of a pioneering project unmatched since the discovery of the new world. So, given the chance, would you take the plunge and help colonize the red planet?

No; I wouldn't be much help hee hee.
I'd be wearing a red shirt.
If there were martians, my purpose would be to serve as bait to lead the aliens away from the useful colonists.

Last edited:
F that noise. I am terrified of space.

Even movies based in space get to me sometimes-though Alien is one of my favorites.

I would love to. Although I would probably only be able to help by being a distraction, or a source of entertainment.

Stupidest shit ever. Colonizing planets is the space age equivalent of living in caves. Instead, we should build our own living space to our own specifications in earth orbit and beyond. A better use of the funding would be to install automated infrastructure in the asteroid belt.

But couldn't the colonisation of Mars lead to scientific discoveries, advance our current knowledge of planets in the Sol System, and assist in creating more living space if needed? It could also potentially become a symbol of humanity's first efforts to live on a planet beyond Earth.

Last edited:
Right now, they are working on sending the first samples of mars to earth. Which, believe it or not, has never been done before. For the time being, they are determining whether or not it is toxic to humans. Once they believe it is safe, they'll bring it down to labs, and will be sure that it'll never touch air until they are physically sure it is safe for us.

Then comes the decision, should we colonize on mars? Why in the world should we, when it has a ton less than earth?

I ADORE space. Every bit of it, I love! I'd go into space in a heartbeat. But we have no reason to go there, besides the fact that we treat our home planet like trash. Frankly, I find it repulsive that I have to drive to get to wilderness-like means. I wish we integrated towns with nature. Where I live, there's tons of farm land and places to hike near by, but they're thinking of turning it all into a construction sight. The beauty will be destroyed, and our air will be even more polluted.

It's sad to think that we can hardly even see the stars where we live. And that an entire city had the lights shut down, and there were attempted 911 calls saying there were strange clouds in the sky. It was the Milky Way.

It'd cost a lot less money to indulge in the planet we have, rather than trying to build on a new one that doesn't even have air.

Guys, just colonize the moon instead. We're really in no place to colonize Mars yet, as we have very few knowledge of the effects of isolation on the human mind, not to mention the effects of the body in space, and on a planet with a much different gravity level. If we colonize the moon, we can not only study the effects of the previous problems, but get there much quicker, eliminate half the cost to build a shuttle to reach mars (literally just reuse previous shuttles), and a colony failure would be much less devastating (We could hold proper funerals a few hours if somehow everybody dies after they die, isn't that slightly comforting at all). I'm really confused as to how we're all ready to colonize something thousands of miles away when we could instead colonize something we see with the visible eye that we have actually set foot on?

mods please don't ban me for spam I promise I'm not a spam bot I just find things that peak my interest and therefore require my ability to share my opinion

I think I would love to help. It does scare me though but not because of the obvious reasons. Sure, you could die out there in space and a lot of things could go wrong not to mention the grueling travel to get there but what does scare me is the ''New World'' that would be created over there in Mars. Space is not owned by any government and people colonizing Mars would stop being Earth-people?. The REAL struggles begin once the colonization is a success and that scares the crap out of me. Fear of that unknown.

If I can listen to some path beatsies while I'm on the mission, sure.

(If you get the reference, you will get a cookie)

Do guns even work on Mars?
My money is on no.

They would, but differently from how they work on Earth. For example, bullet distance would be longer since Mars is smaller than Earth and since less mass means less gravity then, yes, that would happen.

They would, but differently from how they work on Earth. For example, bullet distance would be longer since Mars is smaller than Earth and since less mass means less gravity then, yes, that would happen.
I meant work work.
Like, the M16 was having troublems in the desert.
Would the M4 work on Mars?
Cold and dusty and irradiated and stuff all at the same time?
I'm not sure they were designed for Mars's conditions.

I meant work work.
Like, the M16 was having troublems in the desert.
Would the M4 work on Mars?
Cold and dusty and irradiated and stuff all at the same time?
I'm not sure they were designed for Mars's conditions.

Real men's guns wouldn't give a fuck. I'm sure an ak-47 would tear shit up on mars just as well as on earth.

I don't think I'd do much, other then give stupid ideas on how to grow food and stuff. "Why don't we just have somebody repeaditly breathe on the plants during the day to make oxygen?

Personally, I'd much rather stay here on earth.

Being in Mars is cool, but earth is a better place to live in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back