Advice/Help Would I be wrong if I said something?

Coco Adel

The Abandoned Maiden
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
So I don't want to cause drama but I've encountered a very annoying occurrence on here more than once that I will refer to as baiting. Basically what will happen is I will search thought interest checks looking for a specific thing and certain people advertising that thing aren't actually interested or looking to RP that thing.

For example, say you're looking to do an MxF RP and someone is advertising that they play both M and F have no preference on which they like to play and welcome all pairings. That is what they advertise but when you get into the thread it says specifically that they only do same-gender relationships. Now it's fine if you do, but I don't appreciate the lie, I feel like you put the initial thing out there just to get people to look at your thread and I don't understand why. It's not like a spider web once they come in it's not like they're trapped and therefore forced to roleplay with you.

Now it is because of that very reason that I haven't said anything thus far on top of the fact that I feel it would be rude to come onto someone else's interest check thread and tell them how to run their thread. However, I feel the practice is dishonest and annoying and makes it harder for people to find what they are actually looking for when people are advertising interest in things they really have no interest in.

So, should I say something? If so, how should I go about saying it as not to be rude? Or should I just continue ignoring them when I come across them?

I've seen this before and personally I just ignore them. I mean when people come into the thread and see it's not what was advertised I'm pretty sure they'll just leave. Yes, it's kind of annoying to waste your time reading something that turned out to be a bust but in the end, they're only hurting themselves. Plus I don't think there is a way to say it without coming off as rude or passive-aggressive and in the end, they might get offended anyway so just leave them alone.

No need to say anything, there's too many case like that and overthinking it would only stress you out so just ignore them. IF you really want to do something then I suggest you think of a system to prevent this and then present it to the staff.

You probably shouldn't. I doubt it's going to solve the issue, it's more likely to just antagonize the people in question, and I think such a comment might actually be against the rules regarding what you can post there, though I'm not sure.

Yeah I mean think about it from their perspective. Would you like some random person to post on your interest check saying they didn’t like how you tagged it?

Best case scenario your just gonna ignore the person. Worst case scenario it’s gonna be a fight.

Yeah I mean think about it from their perspective. Would you like some random person to post on your interest check saying they didn’t like how you tagged it?

Best case scenario your just gonna ignore the person. Worst case scenario it’s gonna be a fight.
I mean I agree too, just leave them alone but I will say it isn't always just a matter of they tagged it wrong but some people blatantly put things in the title of their interest checks that clearly isn't true when you read the thread. In the end, however, I think it's best to just leave it alone.

I mean I agree too, just leave them alone but I will say it isn't always just a matter of they tagged it wrong but some people blatantly put things in the title of their interest checks that clearly isn't true when you read the thread. In the end, however, I think it's best to just leave it alone.

I mean people also re-use the same thread. So it could be they just didn't get around to changing the title yet. It's not necessarily this deliberate bait and switch.

I mean people also re-use the same thread. So it could be they just didn't get around to changing the title yet. It's not necessarily this deliberate bait and switch.
I mean maybe but as far as I can see the thread doesn't pop back up to the front page unless you bump it and I kind of feel like if you're going to use the same thread the first thing you should do is fix the tags and the title of your thread. However, the ones I'm speaking of are threads I will see up sometimes for days and still not have the correct tags or titles. Even if I were to believe the first day it wasn't on purpose, at what point do I take this as bait and switch when you haven't changed it for days?

You probably shouldn't. I doubt it's going to solve the issue, it's more likely to just antagonize the people in question, and I think such a comment might actually be against the rules regarding what you can post there, though I'm not sure.

I have to agree with idea. I have been guilty of saying stuff where and when it wasn't really necessary. And even when intentions were good and mannerisms were civil, it was still taken as piss-anty at times, because I went out of my way. It's essentially a job for Mods and other staff, if they even care.

You did the best thing you could do by starting a dialogue about it away from those threads so as not to single anyone out.

I mean maybe but as far as I can see the thread doesn't pop back up to the front page unless you bump it and I kind of feel like if you're going to use the same thread the first thing you should do is fix the tags and the title of your thread. However, the ones I'm speaking of are threads I will see up sometimes for days and still not have the correct tags or titles. Even if I were to believe the first day it wasn't on purpose, at what point do I take this as bait and switch when you haven't changed it for days?

Honestly? I'm not gonna get into an argument about something that doesn't bother me. I am willing to give people the benefit of the doubt rather than nit pick. It's not like having a thread marked correctly greatly increases my chances of finding a partner anyway. It's all a matter of - Click title, read section, post or back out.

Honestly? I'm not gonna get into an argument about something that doesn't bother me. I am willing to give people the benefit of the doubt rather than nit pick. It's not like having a thread marked correctly greatly increases my chances of finding a partner anyway. It's all a matter of - Click title, read section, post or back out.
Umm, I wasn't arguing with you?

It is kind of like baiting though. On principle it's abusing the tag system to bait in users looking for additional criteria that you're not even offering. It's plain abuse, and although yeah, it isn't really damaging to user experience, it can be annoying and it's kinda cheap, you know? I think people should just have faith in the material they are offering, and if it doesn't gain traction the first time, take it back to the lab and try to make it more appealing, this time use the help of anyone who did show interest.

Tag baiting just seems so skeezy to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back