Character Theory Why the cool/edgy trend?

That maybe true. Thing is, you write "antihero", and I immediately apply everything said to antiheroes instead of the current edgy trend... no matter what adjectives are used to describe them. From where I stand, "brooding antihero" is just the way to make a sentence nicer, and does not imply that "brooding antihero" is something different than just "antihero".
Sorry if my manner of wording things can cause any confusion. While there is a lot of overlap between antihero and edgy, I did not mean to imply the terms as intercheangeable in any way. So, I apologize.

Also, if I may make a personal request, the thread seems to have a lot of people who claim you meant this or that, or who aren't sure or are just using different definitions like me, so could you maybe provide an exact definition for what you meant by "edgy"? And just to be absolutely clear, I mean an actual definition of what you're thinking when you say "edgy" not examples (since examples would keep it dubious in the end).

Sorry if my manner of wording things can cause any confusion.
I guess it's more about inability to read tones. Were you to tell that with a dose of sarcasm, I'd get what you meant right away. But without a vocal tone, I just had to take things at face value and thought you misunderstood. That being said...

Also, if I may make a personal request, the thread seems to have a lot of people who claim you meant this or that, or who aren't sure or are just using different definitions like me, so could you maybe provide an exact definition for what you meant by "edgy"?
...I struggle myself to describe what exactly I mean, and littering with examples doesn't seem nice. I guess expressing it as a more physical edge what pricks you from whatever side you approach the character, might be the best? Like a hedgehog personality: you can try any approach, but they will hiss and prick you.
It's just a trend that lasts for around a decade of making overt the top dark, even Mary-Sueish characters, who are on and on about how miserable they are, how they've lost everything, how they cannot feel any good/anything, how they are shunned, crazy, and all that jazz.

I get the classic Mary Sue. So many times, if the story is compelling, you want to get in there and make things right, as this white knight sent by whatever powers are at hand. This overly dark, suffering, cloak-wearing black-haired edgelord is... something else. No idea where it started and why, and it's a bit curious.

And I think the general consensus is that what the OP was talking about was more in line with Mary Sues. Characters given essentially surface level traits to seem more noticeable.

Ex. Susie is raped a lot because she’s secretly a demon but it’s okay because rape is no big deal and it just means that Susie can be a nasty bitch without being held accountable for her actions.

Like that is sort of what the OP meant if I am reading their replies correctly.

Not : Susie was abused by her father and this caused her to develop a very antagonistic relationship with everyone. She is also hyper sensitive to being touched and obsessed with weaponry as a means of defending herself from her inner demon (who might manifest as actual demons if the roleplay is fantasy)
Ah, my apologies for my misunderstanding. I did not mean to put words into OP's mouth nor did I any have intention to. I suppose that I might have a slightly different definition of "edgy" then? It does seem to be slightly subjective based on some of the responses here in the thread, but I'm afraid that I haven't had a Mary Sue in so long (I hope) that I don't really have an answer to any question as to why they're seemingly everywhere.

Ah, my apologies for my misunderstanding. I did not mean to put words into OP's mouth nor did I any have intention to. I suppose that I might have a slightly different definition of "edgy" then? It does seem to be slightly subjective based on some of the responses here in the thread, but I'm afraid that I haven't had a Mary Sue in so long (I hope) that I don't really have an answer to any question as to why they're seemingly everywhere.

Well I mean more in the sense that the OP seemed to be describing characters who are just given traits without any kind of follow-through or reasoning.

So if for instance I made a character that was raped as a bragging point. Like oh look my character was raped doesn't that make them so cool and interesting? It's not going to come up in the roleplay or anything I just want you to know. (I would never do this btw but as an example.)

That is making an "edgy" character in the sense that the OP means it. It is just giving your character a trait (physical/mental/in their backstory) solely because you think it sounds cool and you want to brag about your character having it.

I think a good way to look at it is this.

Edgy = frivolous character
Tragic = character defined by circumstance

So if you are making a character that has had bad things happen to them but it actually affects their story than they are tragic. If your character has had bad things happen to them so you can brag to other players about how cool that character is than they're edgy.

I like edge
... it’s a very shallow reason lol. But at the end of the day, I believe there’s a very definite line to be drawn between characters who are edgy just for the sake of being edgy, and characters who are actually well-written and are shaped by their dark pasts. Developing those types of characters can be really interesting if done well.

Tbh, one of my favorite character tropes is that type of person who seems normal but ends up totally snapping at some point and showing off their “dark side”. It sounds cringey... and it certainly is, if it isn’t written properly. But I find those types of characters to be very fascinating if they’re handled well.

So I guess what I’m trying to say is that the “edgy” trend can be really fun if it’s well-written. Why do people like the edginess in the first place, though? I have no idea. I don’t even know why I like it. Maybe it’s because these types of characters are so opposite to myself that there’s something inherently fascinating about them. Or maybe it’s because some people find it easier to sympathize/pity a character who’s been through a lot of difficult things. Idk.
Also I’m just really obsessed with edgy character designs

I totally agree with this post, up until where you say you like them because theyre opposite to yourself :D I like them cause they resonate with my own old edgy goth heart :D

That said, I think there are overly dramatic/annoying edgy characters and well written ones, just like there are annoying cheerful characters and well written ones.
In the end, in my opinion, it all boils down to the RPer how they handle their chosen characters and motifs.

Oh yea. I have to add that I did not realize (being Czech) that for most of you, edgy has a negative connotation, while antihero tragic or brooding do not.
For me they are neutral words to which I dont immediately attach Twilight or teenage characteristics.

Here's the thing that I tell towards all edgy characters with tragic backstories.

Moral ambiguity does not equate to moral complexity.

And if you can't tell the difference, well...., your edgy character is shit.

I feel like OP has an immediate misconception and bias to start off with. I must state this observation in order to further delve on the topic at hand, that being the commonality of "edginess." Darkness and tragedy, generally anything negative, are powerful emotions and resonate far stronger in the human mind than whatever goodness might be found in, say, a Paladin. The fact that evil has always been associated with power (the final boss, evil demon king) is, in itself, also something that might contribute to the factor, though I ultimately doubt it.

The most important matter when approaching any topic like "why is (insert negative character stereotype) popular?" is that no individual who wants to write a non-joke character seeks to write a bad character. It is a sort of elitism, and heightened sense of superiority in comparison to others, when such questions are asked. People do not give their characters tragic storylines for the sake of it, unless it is done solely for joke factor amongst the internal roleplaying clique. If the world has wronged them and they seek justice for it, but do not immediately open up to you and therefore you give up trying to garner the attention of their character, then that is solely validating their characters' beliefs and driving them towards darker depths.

As a rather unfortunate individual myself, in fact writing this from the psychiatric ward, I have always felt more at ease in a darker and more brutish world where one person does not really matter. A world where life's worth is measured lowly, and due to this I have been called edgy, my stories have been called edgy, and it is quite an annoying trend. There is no character who can be absolutely good, I see it as quite impossible in fact, from a human perspective. Absolute evil, in comparison, is a lot more achievable and therefore realistic.

Though one must realize that characters, when written by beginners, are idealized. This has already been stated by others, but I will reiterate it here. Idealized characters are built on extremes, types of which would likely not exist in a realistic universe where they, indeed, had actual years of experience as opposed to being thought up in a matter of days by their writer.

It is quite possible that a lot of those who have been subjected to being called "edgy" have not been allowed the time or opportunity for their characters to change in the story. And from a human perspective in addition, change is immensely difficult on a personality level. Some are more welcoming to change, and others are more resilient. Depressed and dark characters who've suffered for a long time, are generally averse to change even more so.

Then there is also a factor about how they want a roleplay to be experienced. Characters are made by players who want to experience the world in a particular fashion, no matter how badly written they are. Questioning why some people write certain characters over others is akin to a slight to a roleplayer's preferences, and can be taken as a personal affront to their creative interests. I have long since disassociated myself with this manner of thinking, but it is a skill that has taken years to develope, and accepting others for what they want to do with their writing, isn't exactly an easy skill, since most people want to experience the roleplay with self-interest in mind.

I personally see darkness and tragedy as more appealing, more interesting, and filled with more possibilities, than rainbows and sunshine.

My ultimate conclusive statement, is that what you percieve as a popularity trend of edgy, is merely a disagreement in how one should experience a story. It is something that you will grow out of with time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back