Other Why does Anime take up so much of RPNation?

Polyblank

Bloody Amateur
Don't crucify me for it - I just frankly don't understand why it's so prevalent. Reference pictures, fandom subjects and a whole section for it - why does anime attract so many roleplayers and vice versa? I'm not a fan of anime and never really have been, so understand I'm coming from an uninformed viewpoint. I've read some manga and enjoyed it, but I don't see why anime takes up such a large RP Chunk...

Aside from my folder full of "90's anime aesthetic" images, I don't watch or partake in anything relating to anime. It's always been something big, but I don't understand either. It may be because anime appeals to a large number of people because of the sheer amount of content and such that can be found across the internet. I do know that it's also popular with a lot of artists, animators and art fans because of its particular style and overall look. I'm nowhere near being an expert on anime, but that's what I believe.

Because Anime = Creativity.

I'm kidding, but i'm also intrigued by this.

I believe it is because anime has characters/art that appeases the eyes and also something we can identify as. I am definitely not Obi from Snow white with the red hair, but I sure do connect with the character. That's my personal take however. Many may just enjoy the anime aesthetic, or they may just not have much else to use.

I believe it is also big in rp, because the characters are already there. No need for character description, nor need for much character development, since most people whom join an anime to choose a character already there, or a character based off a character with a different name. Some RP writers are fan fiction writers. So I see it as a normal occurrence in the rp world, since I have seen it since I have started in the rp world years and years ago.

Fandom RPs are (or at least were) a pretty big deal in the RP communities I've been to. A lot of those Fandom RPs are related in Anime. Certain sites-which-must-not-be-named had entire RP subforums that gained notoriety for "anime only OC pics pls" but not having rules for artist credit/recognition. For these reasons, and probably others, folks migrated here from other communities in search of a better RP experience. I haven't played in a Fandom RP yet, but since I watched anime and other cartoons as a kid, it doesn't bother me. I cut my teeth on video game RP forums as a wee nerd, but perhaps if I chose a different route, I might have been in Escaflowne and Record of Lodoss War RPs instead of Zelda and Final Fantasy RPs to start with.

First of all, I want to point out the following: The anime community on RPN is that as big as you are suggesting it is. Sure, it's pretty big in RPN, surprisingly so, but I can tell you from personally trying to search for it that it's still complicated to search for actually anime-related content, and even fandoms where one might expect to find a bigger concentration a lot of popular shows in current media simply take the spotlight. If anything, one should be asking about the sheer amount of people in the site who seek to roleplay one specific show or franchise, say, black mirror or Harry Potter, and yet seem to constantly miss one another's presence, as opposed to the strong presence of an entire medium.

With that out of the way, I'll bring up three things that I think make anime a great foster for a community that is more visible as a chunk of the site's population:
1. Bubble Effect
One thing about the anime community is that it tends to be it's own thing. Anime is an almost absurdly distinct medium for those within the community and often for those outside of it as well, and as any niche, it's community tends to be more fervorous about it. In a sense, there is a way of communicating, thinking and certain rules of logic that are more anime-specific and are a little sponged up by it's community, which tends to want to detach itself as it's own distinct thing. This is not to say the anime community wants nothing to do with those outside of it, but rther, that to us anime is not "just another medium".
This is further enhanced by people outside the community, whether due to bias or trauma, actively attempting to separate anime material into a separate category as well. The pic issue, for instance, is one case. There are plenty of people who specifically have a problem with anime pictures, and even more who simply reject any images not drawn with pure realism. Which is, to an extent, perfectly reasonable. And it's, in the end of the day, just a preference, but it is undeniable that it does split the seas there.

2. Outcasts have time to write, outcasts have time to watch anime. But you don't have to be one to watch anime.
Let's not kid ourselves. 2/3s of RPN, being generous, have some kind of anxiety, social issues, depression or being huge extroverts. To put things into perspective, when I made my "idea creates you a superpower" thread, one of the questions was "When I go to a party, I make sure I don't forget...". Most people's answers were borderline questioning their sanity about even having been invited to one.
This group of people though does happen to somewhat overlap with the main anime fanbase up until recently. While the community has certainly grown out of it's shell as the medium gained exposure, statistically speaking people with problems dealing with their social life in the real world are more likely to watch anime. In fact, anime gets an even better boost by the fact that it is available online, somehting which itself has exploded in the past decades.
That said, ANYONE can watch and enjoy anime. So overall, the odds of someone in a site like RPN liking anime over not liking it, are in principle pretty favorable to anime. So if my first point was about why there is a distinction at all, this second point is about why that distinction is more relevant than many other differing mediums: Liking anime is not an exclusive with anything. It does not prevent you from living any kind of life you want. But at the same time, it offers you a community that wouldn't be there without it.

3. There is a whole bloody world of ideas to try
The last is that, if you haven't noticed yet, there are a LOT of ideas in anime that other genres simply don't consider exploring or don't give as decent an access to the concept. One instance is gjinkas, this is, an anime girl which represents the essence of well... just about anything. A brand, a type of food, even the Earth itself can be made into anime girls, as gjinkas.
If you want ideas that are really out there, then anime and manga are excellent places to go. If there is a niche to be filled, you are almost guaranteed to find SOME manga or anime with it.

These are a few potental reasons. DO excuse me if the phrasing is kinda bad here and there, I probably shouldn't be posting this at 2 in the morning, but I do hope it helps clarify some things for you guys :)

First of all, I want to point out the following: The anime community on RPN is that as big as you are suggesting it is. Sure, it's pretty big in RPN, surprisingly so, but I can tell you from personally trying to search for it that it's still complicated to search for actually anime-related content, and even fandoms where one might expect to find a bigger concentration a lot of popular shows in current media simply take the spotlight. If anything, one should be asking about the sheer amount of people in the site who seek to roleplay one specific show or franchise, say, black mirror or Harry Potter, and yet seem to constantly miss one another's presence, as opposed to the strong presence of an entire medium.

With that out of the way, I'll bring up three things that I think make anime a great foster for a community that is more visible as a chunk of the site's population:
1. Bubble Effect
One thing about the anime community is that it tends to be it's own thing. Anime is an almost absurdly distinct medium for those within the community and often for those outside of it as well, and as any niche, it's community tends to be more fervorous about it. In a sense, there is a way of communicating, thinking and certain rules of logic that are more anime-specific and are a little sponged up by it's community, which tends to want to detach itself as it's own distinct thing. This is not to say the anime community wants nothing to do with those outside of it, but rther, that to us anime is not "just another medium".
This is further enhanced by people outside the community, whether due to bias or trauma, actively attempting to separate anime material into a separate category as well. The pic issue, for instance, is one case. There are plenty of people who specifically have a problem with anime pictures, and even more who simply reject any images not drawn with pure realism. Which is, to an extent, perfectly reasonable. And it's, in the end of the day, just a preference, but it is undeniable that it does split the seas there.

2. Outcasts have time to write, outcasts have time to watch anime. But you don't have to be one to watch anime.
Let's not kid ourselves. 2/3s of RPN, being generous, have some kind of anxiety, social issues, depression or being huge extroverts. To put things into perspective, when I made my "idea creates you a superpower" thread, one of the questions was "When I go to a party, I make sure I don't forget...". Most people's answers were borderline questioning their sanity about even having been invited to one.
This group of people though does happen to somewhat overlap with the main anime fanbase up until recently. While the community has certainly grown out of it's shell as the medium gained exposure, statistically speaking people with problems dealing with their social life in the real world are more likely to watch anime. In fact, anime gets an even better boost by the fact that it is available online, somehting which itself has exploded in the past decades.
That said, ANYONE can watch and enjoy anime. So overall, the odds of someone in a site like RPN liking anime over not liking it, are in principle pretty favorable to anime. So if my first point was about why there is a distinction at all, this second point is about why that distinction is more relevant than many other differing mediums: Liking anime is not an exclusive with anything. It does not prevent you from living any kind of life you want. But at the same time, it offers you a community that wouldn't be there without it.

3. There is a whole bloody world of ideas to try
The last is that, if you haven't noticed yet, there are a LOT of ideas in anime that other genres simply don't consider exploring or don't give as decent an access to the concept. One instance is gjinkas, this is, an anime girl which represents the essence of well... just about anything. A brand, a type of food, even the Earth itself can be made into anime girls, as gjinkas.
If you want ideas that are really out there, then anime and manga are excellent places to go. If there is a niche to be filled, you are almost guaranteed to find SOME manga or anime with it.

These are a few potental reasons. DO excuse me if the phrasing is kinda bad here and there, I probably shouldn't be posting this at 2 in the morning, but I do hope it helps clarify some things for you guys :)

Nah your answer is great. Getting opinions like this is really great, as while I have no problem with anime pictures being used or that such I've never understood the appeal. It's a very insightful post that I appreciate.

Nah your answer is great. Getting opinions like this is really great, as while I have no problem with anime pictures being used or that such I've never understood the appeal. It's a very insightful post that I appreciate.
If we're talking about images specifically , well, then it's because they are pleasing to the eye and frankly a lot more comfortable to a lot of people than using the image of another real person, stealing their identity almost.

I agree. Anime has become so broad in our world, it’s almost an escape from reality. Let’s face it, there’s an anime for everything. Everything. Even those who want to see bloodthirsty murderers go on killing sprees. It’s just an escape from real life, to me, at least.

Ultimately it is because the genre(?) is highly popular among the majority. That said I cannot stand dorito heads, especially so when the aesthetic theme/setting does not correlate to the art style of said dorito heads. I'm probably part the minority but whenever I see dramatic opposites in regards to character claim style, it is entirely off putting.

just me, but generally anime is a simple design so that you have some wiggle room with appearance. I prefer to type my appearances though.

Honestly, I've seen more real people than animes, and that doesn't matter the communities, as much, having an avatar of an anime character wouldn't bother me, but a real person... no, I really couldn't do that...

believe it or not, i could never put a picture of a person (a favorite youtuber for exemple) as a profile picture, i can't impersonnate someone, simply by respect for the person identity.

after, i just shared my opinion on the subject, nothing harmfull here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back