Why character sheets?

Scarlet_MCRP

Four Thousand Club
Hi. New to this site but curious why everyone uses character sheets? 

Can't we just jump in a roleplay no one knows who each other is no invites, just roleplay?!

Just a question...

It's easier to establish a character if there's something for your fellow rp'ers to read and take into consideration. Othertimes it can be a work of art or a passion project in itself. Depending on how attached the creator gets to it. This is especially true if you're a game master and want to keep track of everyone and not have to remember who someone is based on a post made x days ago. Good point of reference to remember that bacon is fluffy's character is not actually fluffy, but is actually a rock. 

game master RP's I totally understand that. I started Rping in '05 and never heard of character sheets until this website. I like not knowing what powers, other characters have, or their likes and dislikes. If you meet a person in RL you don't know any of that. I like the surprise I guess. Does anyone else??

I just started a RP yesterday and require no character sheet for it.

Character sheets are a pretty big staple of forum roleplays, mainly for the sake of having a convenient reference for the GM, but I know that it's also used to ensure that players have a solid understanding of the setting and situation that the characters are in. Basically, it ensures there's no vampires in your realistic spice of life roleplay.

There's a lot of different styles of roleplaying. Some people like to just jump into something. Others prefer to have a bit more structure. Still others like a very rigid set of systems in place to make it more like a game. There's not really a right it wrong way to do it, as long as it adheres to the GMs expectations. The GM is responsible for making sure the players all have fun, so with rps that need a somewhat structured set up, GMs are responsible to limit how chaotic it gets by making sure that all players adhere to a standard. It's not really right or wrong to use character sheets, it's just an optional mechanic like everything else.

i dont like them either lol.  they just plain weren't a thing in the rps i started in, and then when i got into 1x1, it just didn't happen.  now it seems like whether it's groups or 1x1s, they want one. i don't see the point in making a big deal out of it, so usually ill just say "a small one would be fine" but ive never been a fan, especially of big long ones.

i remember being really into "freestyle" character sheets like 3 years ago. not sure if that's still a thing.

well as a point of clarification just because someone turns in a character sheet to the GM doesn't mean whatever is in that sheet is common knowledge to the characters. it is a tool used by GMs to ensure as @ApfelSeine said that players understand the setting of a roleplay and their characters fit. That the character isn't too similar to other characters, too over powered, or just plain doesn't fit into the setting as a whole.

It's also useful to people who have a lot of roleplays going or who might have faulty memory to keep track of and distinguish their characters from one another.

the character sheet isn't really for you as the other player or for the characters in the roleplay themselves. while it's always nice to at least skim the other character sheets to make sure you're not making something too over the top or too similar to someone else you don't have to read them. unless the GM specifically states that in the rules.

well as a point of clarification just because someone turns in a character sheet to the GM doesn't mean whatever is in that sheet is common knowledge to the characters. it is a tool used by GMs to ensure as @ApfelSeine said that players understand the setting of a roleplay and their characters fit. That the character isn't too similar to other characters, too over powered, or just plain doesn't fit into the setting as a whole.

It's also useful to people who have a lot of roleplays going or who might have faulty memory to keep track of and distinguish their characters from one another.

the character sheet isn't really for you as the other player or for the characters in the roleplay themselves. while it's always nice to at least skim the other character sheets to make sure you're not making something too over the top or too similar to someone else you don't have to read them. unless the GM specifically states that in the rules.

I beg to disagree. I actually think it is also a tool for the roleplayers themselves. A proper use of a character involves consistency (you are taking the role of the character after all, and as people they are who they are) and changes should not be 180s for no reason... character sheets can help you know who you are BECOMING because that is the whole point here...

I beg to disagree. I actually think it is also a tool for the roleplayers themselves. A proper use of a character involves consistency (you are taking the role of the character after all, and as people they are who they are) and changes should not be 180s for no reason... character sheets can help you know who you are BECOMING because that is the whole point here...

You misunderstood. I said the character sheets are a tool for the GM and the player themselves ( as in the person making the character )

However that does not mean that other players should have to read said character sheet. Sure it's a little polite to at least skim it to make sure your not making the same character as someone else. But you do not have to read other people's character sheets unless it is specified by the GM.

As one of the OP's points seemed to be wanting to learn about the characters ( of other players ) during the roleplay. I was saying they could still certainly do that if they wanted.

The Character Sheet should never be something other players can use or other character can use. I know you disagree with that but I personally view the character sheet only as a reference point for myself personally and the GM.

Depends on the number of characters.  I've done small groups and 1x1s which lasted months or years without character sheets.

same!! I've never even heard of sheets until this website. mine are mainly groups, I get bored of 1x1s I love it when multiple people can jump in. Now we might talk OOC about the plot to make it run smoother and keep going sometimes

I personally have a love-hate relationship with character sheets. On the one hand, it can help sort of weed out the copy and paste characters that drive us all crazy, prevent someone from just creating new powers for their character without warning or reason, etc. I GM a lot of tabletop games outside of RPN as well, so it's just something that I am used to seeing.

On the other hand, I also appreciate the excitement and discovery of introducing and developing characters directly in the RP, without having that "pre-spoiler effect" that the sheets tend to introduce.

Depending on the storyline or situation, I might ask for one or I might not. In most cases, I'm happy to oblige players that would like to see sheets, but I am not likely to put down every painstaking detail that I can think of. It all really boils down to preference.

same!! I've never even heard of sheets until this website. mine are mainly groups, I get bored of 1x1s I love it when multiple people can jump in. Now we might talk OOC about the plot to make it run smoother and keep going sometimes

I'd suggest doing casual or simple on here. They are the groups more likely to not require CS Or have more loose plots.

or just make an interest check for Roleplays that are more walk in ready

Last edited by a moderator:

I've just never RPed with less then 10 people. My RPs usually have 20-30 participants.

I've just never RPed with less then 10 people. My RPs usually have 20-30 participants.

back in the old days I used to have 20 people. I haven't found that in YEARS!!!

I'd suggest doing casual or simple on here. They are the groups more likely to not require CS Or have more loose plots.

or just make an interest check for Roleplays that are more walk in ready

Casual and simple where do I find that? I've started 2 RPs in fantasy so far 1 has 1 participant, not exactly what I'd like 

For me, character sheets are good and then if I don't feel like doing them bad. I can get a lot of inspiration to do one while at times I can't muster up the time to string together a name. I suppose it is up to personal preference. I don't like putting too much information in them though I like having things play out in the thread.

I think character sheets keep you honest as an RPer. As others have said it stops you pulling new powers out of your ass or just being overpowered from the start.

As a writer it makes me think about the character whose head I'm going to inhabit. I believe we're creatures of nurture more so than nature, that our experiences shape us and not some born attribute. Therefore exploring their history gives me their character and stops me writing the same type of character ad nausea.

I can see why some people feel they're a straight jacket or potentially a spoiler, but the CS is your characters history and the RP is their future.

For me, RPing is about the interactions and meetings that wouldn't otherwise have happened if not for the others gamers. Your character might have a cool backstory, but if you want to tell that then write a book since it kind of excludes everyone else anyway.

Can't we just jump in a roleplay no one knows who each other is no invites, just roleplay?!

Just a question...

I detest the idea of character sheets and will not make any.  Ever. 

I would prefer to have the RP do the talking, and to have my partner and their character discover mine organically through play rather than via a write-up that I feel takes the fun out of that discovery  and does the thinking for the other player. 

I detest the idea of character sheets and will not make any.  Ever. 

I would prefer to have the RP do the talking, and to have my partner and their character discover mine organically through play rather than via a write-up that I feel takes the fun out of that discovery  and does the thinking for the other player. 

yeah!! I agree I started 2 RP groups already and no character sheets going okay

I really like character sheets, they make it a thousand times easier to avoid overpowered characters, godmodding, characters that doesn't fit the setting etc etc. 

I just fell if they godmod then warning them if they don't listen then kick them out. as for setting if you put what the setting is first it should be easy right?

Just a question...

CS's establish parameters and see if you're worth RPing with

They prevent an otherwise shitty RP due to metagaming, god-modding, and the god-awful "ready for every scenario."

They also prevent characters who don't fit into the scenario

I RP mainly in groups and I guess as long as they're fantasy style I am ready for every scenario. I have about 15 characters so I can jump in to almost anything. Granted I like reading the starters or at least a description of what they want to do and see if it's something I like. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back