Character Theory Who Are Some of Your Favourite Characters? Do You Roleplay As Them?

Count Gensokyo

Super Smash Bros. Melee is a Fair & Balanced Game
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hi! I’ve been a part of the Fandom section of RPN for a while.

Among the large variety of fanbases and droves of interest checks out there, I’ve noticed that a lot like to pair their own OCs with previously established characters. Are any of you out there in the business of becoming the characters you’ve come to like? For me, there’s an exciting challenge to be had in reading comic books or playing a story-driven game I enjoy and delving deep into the psyches of the characters I like.

Who are some of your favourites, and have you ever tried roleplaying as them before?

Well, I've basically played as Alex Mercer from [PROTOTYPE] in every multifandom RP to date.

Most Mary Sues are. It's a sad wish fulfillment instead of wanting to craft a story with others. And this becomes more apparent when it's a teenager who's really into Harry Potter and muh Japanese animes.
It's sad really.because when making your own character, you honestly should try to put only A LITTLE BIT of yourself into them! Those people would rather think of themselves than others and it's gross.

It's sad really.because when making your own character, you honestly should try to put only A LITTLE BIT of yourself into them! Those people would rather think of themselves than others and it's gross.

I think that I just think of an idea or belief or a fascination I have, then extrapolate from there. They will usually like some sort of genre of music I might like because I can't be fucked to look into music that I don't like, but otherwise I try to impact what they're like just by the nature that I am writing them. So I try to make them not like me, and recently trying different races and genders, even.

But the Mary Sue is just in it to fulfill a fantasy in their head, buy with others. I hate how almost every Rp has to have one "that guy".

I don't have much specifics but I sure love villains or oddballs no one else would reeally choose.

Are any of you out there in the business of becoming the characters you’ve come to like? For me, there’s an exciting challenge to be had in reading comic books or playing a story-driven game I enjoy and delving deep into the psyches of the characters I like.

Who are some of your favourites, and have you ever tried roleplaying as them before?

My fandom of choice is the DC Comics universe, and yes, I prefer to play canon characters in said setting. I appreciate and respect the overwhelming majority of DC's stable of characters, but there are thirty or so I love.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I usually feel that I portray them as well as your average comic book writer. Which explains why I'm always comfortable writing them. Honestly, in the cases of the universe's underused characters, I feel I'm finally giving them the stories they deserve.

My fandom of choice is the DC Comics universe, and yes, I prefer to play canon characters in said setting. I appreciate and respect the overwhelming majority of DC's stable of characters, but there are thirty or so I love.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I usually feel that I portray them as well as your average comic book writer. Which explains why I'm always comfortable writing them. Honestly, in the cases of the universe's underused characters, I feel I'm finally giving them the stories they deserve.
Do tell me about the more obscure characters... I'm interested in hearing about some stories you've told.

I love me some underused characters.
Who you got?

Phantom Thief of Hearts Phantom Thief of Hearts Crenando Crenando

Are either of you familiar with the DC supervillain Gentleman Ghost? He's a favorite of mine.

The armored front doors of the transport clapped shut when a pair of Tyger Security guards climbed out. Posted along the front and rear of their vehicle were two squad cars of the city's finest - Gotham City Police Department. As the guards circled behind their vehicle the sounds of the district's morning bustle greeted them. They had arrived eleven minutes ahead of schedule.

After an obligatory wave to the onlooking GCPD the supervising guard negotiated the digital hold lock. To his right, his partner knelt beside the transport's rear bumper and pulled a folding cart free that was stashed underneath. He had the cart ready and waiting by the time the transport's hold door slid open along its track.

Secured inside the hold was a chest swaddled in ocean blue silk. At the supervisor's order both guards fished out sealed plastic bags from their vest pockets, and then carefully tore the packs open to reveal fresh handling gloves. All precautions were to be taken to protect the artifacts. The chest - carved from whalebone and jacketed in sharkskin - was a treasure itself, but its contents were even more precious. Ten gold, ancient, and legendary coins from Earth's only sunken civilization - Atlantis.

The Atlantean treasures were originally unveiled at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History, but a deal was reached to move the coins here: the Gotham Museum of Antiquities. A party, in honor of the city's extraordinary exhibit, was scheduled at the museum this Friday evening. It was an exciting time for Gotham's history lovers.

Together the guards scooped the chest and its silk wrappings out of the hold and lowered it like a newborn babe onto the waiting cart. Then the supervisor, by way of his headpiece, informed the museum's staff the delivery was on its way. That's when everyone noticed the growing roar of a massive diesel engine.

From an adjacent backstreet a recycling truck lumbered into the museum's loading bay lot. It was a pale and lumbering monstrosity, identical to every other waste vehicle that pulled rounds throughout the city. But this truck was off its route, and clearly so, because the museum's recycling bins weren't located at this end of the building. The Tyger Security supervisor, intolerant of out of the ordinary events, began barking into his headpiece to the museum's staff. Meanwhile, a GCPD officer jumped out of his cruiser to shout at the truck to clear the lot. That's when the supervising guard collapsed.

At the time it was unexplainable, the man lurched and keeled over as if he'd taken a bat swing in the teeth. But there was no one near to blame. There was no evidence to get answers from around his unconscious body. During those moments of confusion blood leaked from his broken nose and mixed in with puddles from last night's rain. Eventually, another police officer (from the rear patrol car) darted out of his cruiser to aid his bloodied supervisor, but he too was mysteriously struck down. Could an invisible enemy be among them? Things took a worse turn when the recycling truck groaned, shifted into gear, and then barreled towards the front squad car.

There was no stopping twenty-three tons of angry machine. The lone standing GCPD officer was forced to leap out of the truck's way to save himself, only to watch in horror as it pinned his cruiser against the loading bay wall. As he fumbled for his firearm an unnoticed yellow taxi raced into the lot from the backstreet. Doors from the intruding vehicle swung open and ghost-masked armed men deployed. A pair of them wielded machine pistols, and they sprayed their weapons at anyone who dared stand their ground. A third phantom brandished a wicked long rifle - a drum fed AK47 - and he perched his machine gun over the hood of the taxi.

The buzz of automatic fire might as well have been victory trumpets for the villains. What little resistance remained had lost their appetite for battle. The poor second guard had been the final victim of Gentleman Ghost, his throat badly bruised from a brutal cane choke. Finally the mastermind appeared, grinning madly and gnashing his teeth, in front of the cart keeping the Atlantean chest. After a devilish laugh he snatched up the treasure quickly passed it to one of his crew. The phantoms then piled into their taxi and sped off while their boss dissolved into the morning air.

Later, when the detectives sifted through the crime scene, they found a message written inside the hopper of the recycling truck: I WILL GIVE THEM NIGHTMARES.

Phantom Thief of Hearts Phantom Thief of Hearts Crenando Crenando

Are either of you familiar with the DC supervillain Gentleman Ghost? He's a favorite of mine.

The armored front doors of the transport clapped shut when a pair of Tyger Security guards climbed out. Posted along the front and rear of their vehicle were two squad cars of the city's finest - Gotham City Police Department. As the guards circled behind their vehicle the sounds of the district's morning bustle greeted them. They had arrived eleven minutes ahead of schedule.

After an obligatory wave to the onlooking GCPD the supervising guard negotiated the digital hold lock. To his right, his partner knelt beside the transport's rear bumper and pulled a folding cart free that was stashed underneath. He had the cart ready and waiting by the time the transport's hold door slid open along its track.

Secured inside the hold was a chest swaddled in ocean blue silk. At the supervisor's order both guards fished out sealed plastic bags from their vest pockets, and then carefully tore the packs open to reveal fresh handling gloves. All precautions were to be taken to protect the artifacts. The chest - carved from whalebone and jacketed in sharkskin - was a treasure itself, but its contents were even more precious. Ten gold, ancient, and legendary coins from Earth's only sunken civilization - Atlantis.

The Atlantean treasures were originally unveiled at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History, but a deal was reached to move the coins here: the Gotham Museum of Antiquities. A party, in honor of the city's extraordinary exhibit, was scheduled at the museum this Friday evening. It was an exciting time for Gotham's history lovers.

Together the guards scooped the chest and its silk wrappings out of the hold and lowered it like a newborn babe onto the waiting cart. Then the supervisor, by way of his headpiece, informed the museum's staff the delivery was on its way. That's when everyone noticed the growing roar of a massive diesel engine.

From an adjacent backstreet a recycling truck lumbered into the museum's loading bay lot. It was a pale and lumbering monstrosity, identical to every other waste vehicle that pulled rounds throughout the city. But this truck was off its route, and clearly so, because the museum's recycling bins weren't located at this end of the building. The Tyger Security supervisor, intolerant of out of the ordinary events, began barking into his headpiece to the museum's staff. Meanwhile, a GCPD officer jumped out of his cruiser to shout at the truck to clear the lot. That's when the supervising guard collapsed.

At the time it was unexplainable, the man lurched and keeled over as if he'd taken a bat swing in the teeth. But there was no one near to blame. There was no evidence to get answers from around his unconscious body. During those moments of confusion blood leaked from his broken nose and mixed in with puddles from last night's rain. Eventually, another police officer (from the rear patrol car) darted out of his cruiser to aid his bloodied supervisor, but he too was mysteriously struck down. Could an invisible enemy be among them? Things took a worse turn when the recycling truck groaned, shifted into gear, and then barreled towards the front squad car.

There was no stopping twenty-three tons of angry machine. The lone standing GCPD officer was forced to leap out of the truck's way to save himself, only to watch in horror as it pinned his cruiser against the loading bay wall. As he fumbled for his firearm an unnoticed yellow taxi raced into the lot from the backstreet. Doors from the intruding vehicle swung open and ghost-masked armed men deployed. A pair of them wielded machine pistols, and they sprayed their weapons at anyone who dared stand their ground. A third phantom brandished a wicked long rifle - a drum fed AK47 - and he perched his machine gun over the hood of the taxi.

The buzz of automatic fire might as well have been victory trumpets for the villains. What little resistance remained had lost their appetite for battle. The poor second guard had been the final victim of Gentleman Ghost, his throat badly bruised from a brutal cane choke. Finally the mastermind appeared, grinning madly and gnashing his teeth, in front of the cart keeping the Atlantean chest. After a devilish laugh he snatched up the treasure quickly passed it to one of his crew. The phantoms then piled into their taxi and sped off while their boss dissolved into the morning air.

Later, when the detectives sifted through the crime scene, they found a message written inside the hopper of the recycling truck: I WILL GIVE THEM NIGHTMARES.
I FUCKING LOVE GENTLEMAN GHOST!

I, too, enjoy playing obscure characters. It validates me.
bab_geeke_by_mr_pepsi_and_pizza-dasqvvi.jpg

It’s great to see a big fan of DC Comics on here! I’ve barely picked up any comics until recently. Now that I’ve been convinced to start Marvel from the very beginning (I’ve even been enjoying some of the more silly Silver-Age plotlines), I could imagine it taking me years, if not decades, to start doing the same with DC.

I tend to use characters from my childhood, as nowadays I don't really play or watch fandoms (I mainly stick to strategy games). As a result, I tend to use really old characters. My personal favourite 'hero' is certainly Captain Falcon (F-Zero), with my favourite 'villain' being Mr Dark (Rayman).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back