Viewpoint Which do you prefer for OOC?

Which do you prefer for OOC?

• On site

• Discord

• Indifferent

Results are only viewable after voting.
For those who just don't like Discord, fair enough. I will say though that I would never join a large roleplay that has one ooc thread. I'm in a large (about 50 players rn?) roleplay here at the moment and having a discord server allows us to do so much more than we could've done on here. Many of us have 100k+ messages in the server. It's not just a space for ooc chatting, but now a community of people united by the roleplay we're all in. We play other games together, we do Brantsteele Hunger Games with our ocs, we share picrews and advertise commissions, we make fun tier lists, we have a QnA section. None of that distracts from the roleplay, as we're almost 2 years running now and still active.

I've joined roleplays before that don't use Discord, and I've never felt the sense of community I feel in the roleplays with Discord. I value getting to know my writing buddies outside of the characters we play, and it feels a lot easier to do that on Discord than flooding a thread with a lot of silly conversation. I'd say on-site ooc would be a lot better in a smaller group that just wants to focus on the roleplay, rather than getting close to the writers.

On the in-character end, I've done roleplays here and exclusively on Discord, and I'd always choose here. The character limits are awful, and I love the personalization you can have here. Discord roleplay has always felt a little awkward to me.

I prefer discord. I can mute a channel if people are going crazy rapid fire chatting, (no shade meant!) and receive pings from specific mentions directed at me. But on rpn I may miss important info if I unfollow the ooc to avoid constant notifications because its only one "channel". If that makes sense.

For me, this completely depends on my groups comfort level. Like, some people just don't like going on discord and then that's when I'll have a ooc on site. Then you have some people who live by their mobile apps and discord is a lot easier for plotting communication. So, I'll cater to that.

I personally can really vibe with either or as long as there is a consistent communication about plot. I don't mean chit chat chatter. I love that! I really enjoy watching players get along and get to know one another but the key is it helping them plot too. Generally both are great for plotting. For role playing I would say keep it on site because discord role plays often don't work out very well. In my humble opinion

On site for a few reasons.

The most important is that I do not do rapid fire responses. Either in the IC or OOC, I tend to respond when I have a free moment at work or after my shift.

In addition I personally find character limits and lack of formatting options too cumbersome. I do a lot of world building for my roleplays and discord is not designed to accommodate that.

Lastly it’s just easier for me to keep things in one place from an organizational standpoint, I am not checking two different sites to make sure I have all the information I need.

I would also say if the problem is you want a separate thread for chatting and for important announcements you can just make two threads on RPN. You can also make threadmarks to highlight specific posts in a single thread.

Just a heads up with people who aren’t aware of those functions on RPN.

I prefer it where the rp is.
either onsite in seperate message threads or in a discord server where you can break it into channels.
I generally prefer discord as it's easier to keep tidy and organised but ultimately, I want it in the same place otherwise my simple mind will get confused lol

Don't know why I didn't reply before, but my definite preference is discord as I just find it a lot more convenient in continuous conversation and I can also more consistently check if there's a new message (push notifications to exist on RPN but I find the site often just stops updating them until I check back on the page). That being said, I can absolutely do OOC on site too, though mostly for group RPs in OOC threads. I'm not very fond of RPN PMs.

Edit: The above regards OOC chat, and usually announcement-type stuff. Lore threads and the like will vary from RP to RP.

On site ooc. I know I'm not ever going to keep up with discord or bother with it haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back