• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Where Legends Come to Rise! | Pathfinder 2e | Open!

StorytellerLathos

laugh hard, run fast, be kind
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hello there, my most esteemed of ex-mercenary, veteran, or otherwise capable and brave person! If you have received this wonderful correspondence, than you have found yourself under the prestigious curiosities of the McKenna Hero's Company!

Have you found that your skills have fallen to the wayside in the wake of what the Northeast calls 'a most peaceful time'? That perhaps this new world does not appreciate your assets and abilities from the comfort of a summer home or the dank city? Maybe you still have that calling for glory, wealth, and perhaps even just some plain ol' violence! We wouldn't judge!

We here at the McKenna Hero's Company believe that there is still place for you in this world. Course, the East would teach you otherwise but we here out West know the need for heroes is beyond comprehension! Now you may be sayin' to yourself, the West? Why, I can't even imagine spending my money and giving away what I own here to move for a job like this. Well the McKenna Hero's Company has you more than covered! We will spend OUR money, sacrifice OUR assets, and put OUR trust into you and bring you out here. Of course, those of you with luxuries can rest assured that what you're leaving behind will remain as secure as the day you left!

Big or small, poor or rich, brave or foolish, selfless or selfish, seeking glory or wealth, we take all manner of folk! So come on down to your local McKenna Hero's Company office! Where legends come to rise!

Hey hey hi! Welcome to Where Legends Come to Rise! This is a Pathfinder 2e game set in a western/steampunk/fantasy setting I'm working on that I'm calling Bullets, Bolts, and Black Magic. The main setting is an alternate reality 1870s America that discovered and accidently released magic in the first gold rush, forever changing the landscape of the west and leaving America even more wounded following the end of the Civil War. Vibes wise, it got a lot of its identity from Fallout New Vegas, Chemical Overreaction (song by Will Wood), and the Blood Meridian (not gonna dip to the DEPTHS it goes in the book but thought I should mention). So carrying some humor and ridiculousness, while still allowing for the grit and darkness of the west to shine through.

You all will be playing new employees, or heroes rather, of the McKenna Hero's Company. A business that seeks to distinguish itself from lesser mercenary companies by presenting its employees as legendary heroes, rather than just some everyday killer. Of course, they don't really care if you are just some killer, but they do need you to at least try to uphold some of their values and keep up appearances.

Adventures will largely follow your party completing missions given by the company, picking up odd jobs, travelling around, and ensuring that hero persona never drops! There is a greater storyline at play that will slowly become clearer as we go along. Though, I also hope to see what you all have lined up for your characters so their stories can shine too!

Quick things about me and my expectations for this game!
. I AM NEW TO PF2E, so I will make mistakes and I absolutely encourage people to correct me! (I have been doing as much prep and research as possible so I'm not totally clueless)
. YOU MIGHT ALSO BE NEW TO PF2E, I am more than willing to take in new players to the system, learning a new system together with players is an incredible experience to me and so I'm totally up for it! (also as I mentioned before I'm not totally clueless and am learning the system with multiple groups, so me teaching stuff is not out of the question)
. PLAYER COUNT, I'm looking for 3-6 players, I know party structure and balance is important so the range might be a bit much, but I wanna leave a bit of a range cause idk how this interest check will do
. I LOVE COLLABORATIVE STORYTELLING, communication, communication, communication, I love talking to my players about the story, about their characters, and about anything related to game so please feel free to shout at me bout it!!! (little addition to this is that this is a new setting so I'm totally up for adding on lore and locations and things of that sort)
. POST REQUIREMENTS, are a bit lax, well kinda, I would really love to get at least a paragraph from people's posts but I know sometimes an action really only takes a line or two to describe but please please please try to go for a paragraph if you can! (I think pf2e especially gives opportunity to do a lot of interesting stuff with your descriptions)
. POST FREQUENCY, might and probably will change, this is just the natural progression of rps and stuff so my goal is to aim for once a week at least and adjust as needed, posting will also not just be first post first served, we'll set up turns for everyone so we all know when we're meant to post (I'll talk bout this further when we start talking OOC)
. DISCORD IS REQUIRED, ok idk how controversial this is but discord is just great for OOC conversations and especially makes a dice rp easier for me, I'll reach out to you for your discord once you've expressed interest!

Ok, UGH, I think that's everything. Now that I've dedicated more of this post to talking bout myself than I did to introducing the game concept, please feel free to express interest here or PM me! Same with any questions you might have! Have a great day and I hope to see your legend unfold partner!

Out of curiosity:

1) What level do you plan for the party to start at?

2) Will there be an explanation (ala Goblinization in Shadowrun) for elves and gnomes and orcs and so on,or should the players not think too much about it?

3) Will planetouched and other versatile ancestries be available?

1. Party will start at 1st level! Just to keep things simple :>

2. Basic explanation is that they'd always existed! Just either hidden or kept away from 'modern' existence via powerful archaic magic. Magic and the occult was always running around and some places understood it better than others. Just so happened that a couple of prospecting knuckleheads stumbled across it, revealed it to the world, and caused a big shakeup.

3. Technically related to previous question, but yes! Even among regular humans! Some people, especially those in the west, became exposed to magic in dangerous ways that altered them fundamentally. Alongside that, the sudden expulsion of magic opened gateways to other planes which have been slowly leaking in their own influence and the influence of other beings.

So TLDR level 1! Yes, they were always there! And yes!

Also there are ramifications for the sudden influx of these ancestries, but basics of it for the west is people don't think too much about it cause so long as you're useful and decent, then you're considered alright by most. I could absolutely dig more into the specifics of the lore, but I'll keep it brief since I can ramble a WHILE. Though I'm more than open to more questions :>

One more question then,same set of deities if someone plays a cleric or champion (or domain initiate)?

Perhaps an original set?

This one I was thinking bout for a while. I'll be making my own set that have begun to be worshipped in places like west which have better integrated magic or just already worshipped these hidden gods. However, I was also thinking that the faith in real world gods has made it so someee divine magic can be gotten from them.

Technically, I have to make custom gods either way, but I don't know much bout religion outside of greek mythology so that would be a collaborative effort between me and player. :>

I can give you more info on my set of gods by the end of the week as I'm actively working away at them!

Hi there!
This seems like an amazing concept that I'd love to be a part of if you're still accepting members.
I've got just under 2 years of experience with DnD but this would be my first interaction with the Pathfinder system, so I expect to have a couple questions.
But generally excited to learn and have a good time with y'all

Howdy partner!
It seems your company is in need of a nice fellow, that might be good at the merc business. I might not be a hero, but I can fight, and I am a decent person.
Just don't mind my pale looks, living in the shadows of the society makes one pale as a ghost sometimes.

And now for real I am interested in the game, played PF2e for a few years now so I am a okay in helping people figure out stuff if needed.
Still pondering though what the others are thinking class wise.
personally I will go fetchling as the ancestry, and class wise i will adapt to what is needed in the party.

I have my concerns about how far we'll get with a "once a week" posting rate,but given time zones and work make it very unlikely I can show up to real-time sessions,it's still the better option by far for my participation.

I've been thinking about playing a swashbuckler,but I might play a cleric or champion so this setting's deities might have a chance to shine.

like a fetchling snake oils salesman alchemist.
or a fetchling quick draw lucky Luke wannabe gunslinger.
or fetchling native who roams the world with his spirit animal in search of self.
stuff like that

Hi there!
This seems like an amazing concept that I'd love to be a part of if you're still accepting members.
I've got just under 2 years of experience with DnD but this would be my first interaction with the Pathfinder system, so I expect to have a couple questions.
But generally excited to learn and have a good time with y'all
Absolutely still taking and glad to see ya take interest and have someone new to the game at the table!

Howdy partner!
It seems your company is in need of a nice fellow, that might be good at the merc business. I might not be a hero, but I can fight, and I am a decent person.
Just don't mind my pale looks, living in the shadows of the society makes one pale as a ghost sometimes.

And now for real I am interested in the game, played PF2e for a few years now so I am a okay in helping people figure out stuff if needed.
Still pondering though what the others are thinking class wise.
personally I will go fetchling as the ancestry, and class wise i will adapt to what is needed in the party.
Hopefully once I get people together on discord to talk we'll be able to figure out classes a bit better.

I have my concerns about how far we'll get with a "once a week" posting rate,but given time zones and work make it very unlikely I can show up to real-time sessions,it's still the better option by far for my participation.

I've been thinking about playing a swashbuckler,but I might play a cleric or champion so this setting's deities might have a chance to shine.
Yeah I've got a bit of a messy schedule as well so I'm thinking the "once a week" will leave room for everyone including myself. Although I might adjust this as we go along and start seeing what post frequency works for us. Definitely gonna try and get people to post more often for combat.

As a general thing for everyone, please send me a PM with your discord so I can get everyone into one server!

Is this a play-by-post game here, or is it strictly on Discord? I have a very chaotic schedule that sadly doesn't work for most discord games. It's why I love the PbP system. I can post whenever I have time.

Howdy.
YOU MIGHT ALSO BE NEW TO PF2E
I am completely new, but I am glad to try and learn if it means getting to play a cowboy.
However, I was also thinking that the faith in real world gods has made it so some divine magic can be gotten from them.
I'd like to request some clarification on this. What does this mean for the interaction of the setting magic and real-world religions?

Lastly (for now), are there tuberculosis mechanics in Pathfinder?

Is this a play-by-post game here, or is it strictly on Discord? I have a very chaotic schedule that sadly doesn't work for most discord games. It's why I love the PbP system. I can post whenever I have time.
Game will be here as a PbP, likely with some post frequency requirements just to keep things moving along! Discord will just be for OOC things and planning out things.

Howdy.

I am completely new, but I am glad to try and learn if it means getting to play a cowboy.

I'd like to request some clarification on this. What does this mean for the interaction of the setting magic and real-world religions?

Lastly (for now), are there tuberculosis mechanics in Pathfinder?
Hey hi there! The idea behind magic in this setting is that it's always been around though often either hidden away or appearing in very small amounts. For real world religions, this means that there's always been some kind of divine magic that has remained latent within followers. The deities of these religions are distant and don't often have direct interaction with the material plane. With what's happened in the west, this latent divinity has begun to explode out and allow for some devote people to access divine magic.

The new gods that have risen up with the surge of magic are much more direct in their influence and may have goals in mind for themselves or their followers. This is, often, just because they aren't from this plane and are using miracles and divinity to try and quickly gather power.

If this does not make things clearer or I've misinterpreted please do say so!

Oh and it does actually! I was surprised to find this out!!

Howdy!

I’d love to join if there’s still room for players! This sounds like a really fun idea! I’m new to Pathfinder, so I’ll probably need some help with rules and such, but I have played in quite a few PbP games using other systems!

For real world religions, this means that there's always been some kind of divine magic that has remained latent within followers. The deities of these religions are distant and don't often have direct interaction with the material plane. With what's happened in the west, this latent divinity has begun to explode out and allow for some devote people to access divine magic.

The new gods that have risen up with the surge of magic are much more direct in their influence and may have goals in mind for themselves or their followers. This is, often, just because they aren't from this plane and are using miracles and divinity to try and quickly gather power.

If this does not make things clearer or I've misinterpreted please do say so!
I think it does. Mostly what I'm trying to see is if a syncretic view of world religions is provably correct within the setting.

Oh and it does actually! I was surprised to find this out!!
doc.jpg

Wondrous.

I'd really like to join if there are any slots open. Lately I've been playing Kingmaker with a group in pf2e and I've really enjoyed it so far.

Right. Anyway. Is there a next step that should be undertaken? I know the opening post says something about Discord but I haven't really followed up on that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back