Where do you find your character images?

Inkstone

Warbling Marble
What resource sites do you all like to use in finding face claims or illustrations for characters?

Lookbook seems to be a common one for photos, and there are a million and one anime image databases out there, but I'm wondering where else you can easily find those.

If your any good at drawing you could try your hand at drawing some ideas until you come up with what you want your character to look like. At least that's what I do!

aquaInferno said:
If your any good at drawing you could try your hand at drawing some ideas until you come up with what you want your character to look like. At least that's what I do!
I'm not comfortable with my drawing skills yet but it's something that I'm working on.

Anomaly said:
I like to save cool stuff from the photography section of Deviantart, m'self.
Personally I feel a bit weird borrowing things from Deviantart, especially in the case of other peoples' original characters. Plus I find it harder to search for images when I have a specific character of my own in mind, but that's just me.

Google images, konachan, DEVIANTART if I am needing art for an established character like Lightning Farron, and, hesitantly, Sankaku Complex. Too much smut but it has phenomenal artwork I keep and have used before.

Zero Chan is also good but you'd have to save and reload elsewhere due to Zeros anti hotlinking software.

I render mine in Daz Studio using a mixture of 3d content that is purchased, free, and made by me. This means I can't render less common physiognomies like the Mass Effect aliens, but anything humanoid or a stereotypical fantasy race is basically possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like pinterest...people save cool images from all over the web and it's all in one spot.

To be honest, the easiest way (to me at least) is to search up the features (e.g. eye color, hair color etc.) On Google images and find the link from there. Unless you plan to monitize the character. That's a whole different story right there.

Pinterest is the easiest for a wide variety of images. Not only can you narrow down things by looking at other peoples pins or boards but you can click the wbsite the picks from and sometimes get other images from the creator.

On deviant art I start out going under digital art an typin in either canon character name, girl, boy, or like monster girl, etc.

Then go to either portrait or fantasy and just scroll through the options. The good thing about deviant art is if you go to the bottom right you can get similar image.

Face claim helper the tumblr blog is great for real celebrity models

Zerochan.net. Is another good one for anime only images

For anime faceclaims, I'd recommend the Anime Characters Database. You simply choose the features of your character and boom! You'll get a bunch of characters matching what you searched. After getting the character's name, look their name up on google image or any anime gallery. You should be good to go!

For more realistic and human faceclaims, I use the Angel Dust Faceclaim Directory. It's pretty much the same thing; choose the features you want your character to have, look at the results, choose someone... When you click on them, it should take you to another page where you'll see a bunch of pictures of the same person. Sadly, this faceclaim directory is a lot smaller than the Anime Characters Database but it should be good enough.

If you still can't find what you're looking for, Google Images, Pinterest, Tumblr, Zerochan and Konachan are your best friends.

I mostly love to roleplay my own OCs, then they have their own art (ordered on some sim-games with game currency).

For random roleplays that does not involve my OCs, I usually look on Google, DeviantArt and Zerochan. But I don't like doing this because I know lots of artists hate it when we use their art for roleplay. Mostly if we do not even credit them for their hard work.

I generally use ModelMayhem to find a PB and then eventually create my own drawings. I rarely find a picture that truly fits the idea I have in my head, so I just get as close as I can. I absolutely do not want people using my art for their RPCs, so I don't do that to others. I always ask the models on MM before using their likeness and respect their wishes if they say no. But quite a few are more than happy to let me use their photos in return for art to add to their ports, so it works out for use both.

I've been liking the realistic drawing artstyle lately, if it's fantasy/cyber punk relevant I typically go to Deviantart. If I'm looking for anime/manga, Ihave a collection dedicated to that search specifically on Weheartit and occasionally Pinterest. When searching for realistic/modern FC's, Tumblr, I used to check out fanpop but that site's new layout prevents me from returning.

I always, always, draw my character or commission someone else to draw them for me. Sometimes I'll use a doll creator, if its exceptionally pretty with plenty of options.

I detest players who think just because they found a picture on Google they can claim it as theirs.

[QUOTE="Black the Wizard]I always, always, draw my character or commission someone else to draw them for me. Sometimes I'll use a doll creator, if its exceptionally pretty with plenty of options.
I detest players who think just because they found a picture on Google they can claim it as theirs.

[/QUOTE]
I don't think people are claiming art as their owm at all. No more than I would take a picture of Naruto and claim I created the character. Or I would use a picture of Elle fanning and claim that it's a self portrait.

No when people use art from around the Internet they are saying simple this is what my character looks like.

It's the same thing as using a picture of an actor. I'm not saying I'm that actor nor that I went out to Hollywood or wherever and took the picture.

I'm merely giving my partner a visual for my character. Here my character looks like Hugh Jackman. Or my character is a pink haired girl in a flowery dress.

Limiting people to only the art they could,create themselves would force a vast majority of the roleplay community to use written descriptions.

And that's not fair to those people who enjoy visuals and either don't have the skills to make something themselves or the money to hire someone else to make it for them.

Now if they're going around saying they drew something they didn't or were trying to make money off the art they're using that would be different.

But if your just using something as a reference than I don't see the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
readingraebow said:
I don't think people are claiming art as their owm at all. No more than I would take a picture of Naruto and claim I created the character. Or I would use a picture of Elle fanning and claim that it's a self portrait.
No when people use art from around the Internet they are saying simple this is what my character looks like.

It's the same thing as using a picture of an actor. I'm not saying I'm that actor nor that I went out to Hollywood or wherever and took the picture.

I'm merely giving my partner a visual for my character. Here my character looks like Hugh Jackman. Or my character is a pink haired girl in a flowery dress.

Limiting people to only the art they could,create themselves would force a vast majority of the roleplay community to use written descriptions.

And that's not fair to those people who enjoy visuals and either don't have the skills to make something themselves or the money to hire someone else to make it for them.

Now if they're going around saying they drew something they didn't or were trying to make money off the art they're using that would be different.

But if your just using something as a reference than I don't see the issue.
Oh, I mostly meant if they were claiming the art as theirs. Or if not the art itself, using of the art.

Like say, I use a ref for my character, and someone says 'You can't do that, I'm using the same ref in this other RP'. Ive actually run into that before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back