Other Where did your title/rank come from?

One of my favorite Hamilton songs ofc <3

History has it's eyyyyyyeee onnnn youuuuu <3

in verba is Latin for "in words". Few layers here:

1. One of my favorite motto-quotes: "Nullius in verba"; roughly translates to "take no one's word for it" - Experience everything firsthand, essentially. 

2. I'm here literally in words. You can only experience me as thus, so appropriate. 

3. Latin's a dead language. I'm a linguist. It's true form can only be expressed through words and not voices. I like that...

...Mostly

History has it's eyyyyyyeee onnnn youuuuu <3

in verba is Latin for "in words". Few layers here:

1. One of my favorite motto-quotes: "Nullius in verba"; roughly translates to "take no one's word for it" - Experience everything firsthand, essentially. 

2. I'm here literally in words. You can only experience me as thus, so appropriate. 

3. Latin's a dead language. I'm a linguist. It's true form can only be expressed through words and not voices. I like that...

...Mostly

Catholic clergy would disagree with you on that point.  They still conduct mass in Latin on occasion.  

@DangerBanana I understand where you're going with that, however it's just uninformed logic. The language was dead and unrecorded. We have a very educated guess on the phonology of Latin, but it's still a recreated guess. Sure people speak modern Latin, clergy aside - it's studied and taught and spoken all the time. Doesn't stop it from being a best guess/modernization. The "true form" part of my original sentence is important semantics here. It's the diction; always the diction.  

Last edited by a moderator:
@DangerBanana They can disagree all they'd like. The language was dead and unrecorded. We have a very educated guess on the phonology of Latin, but it's still a recreated guess. Sure people speak modern Latin, clergy aside - it's studied and taught and spoken all the time. Doesn't stop it from being a best guess/modernization. The "true form" part of my original sentence is important semantics here.  

I suppose you can differentiate between classic and modern Latin.  

This notwithstanding, most people seem to operate on a best-guess model when they do things. 

I suppose you can differentiate between classic and modern Latin.  

This notwithstanding, most people seem to operate on a best-guess model when they do things. 

It's true. That's why I corrected out my aggressive response. I can't blame them. It's logical based on input information to disagree. Being misinformed doesn't make you an idiot, just makes you misinformed. I'll stop there before this turns into a rant about the pragmatics of personhood. <3

It's true. That's why I corrected out my aggressive response. I can't blame them. It's logical based on input information to disagree. Being misinformed doesn't make you an idiot, just makes you misinformed. I'll stop there before this turns into a rant about the pragmatics of personhood. <3

I wouldn't know whether to call them idiots or misinformed.  I suppose that would depend on the person, not on the group as a whole. Personally I use a German accent when quoting something in Latin.  It sounds funny.  But that's just me.  

On the point of aggressive replies:  Good thing I saved it for prosperity!  xD

Please, don't stray from the topic of the thread. 

Mine is currently a friend's attempt at combining all of my usernames into one.

"Gensoyko, The Land I Loved" is based on a japanese bullet yell game called Touhou aka badly drawn girls with awesome soundtrack. Specifically is comes from the music from the 10th(?) game extra stage called Gensoyko The Land the Gods Loved. It also just liking the game in general and the characters.

I was having dinner with my mom (we do that every Wednesday) and some little kids were yelling. They were sitting at the table next to us. So, I went to my mom and said, "Ugh. I'm the only normal person in the whole world!" And she started laughing. I didn't intend it to be funny but on the drive home I said to myself, "That's going to be my new custom title on RPN."

True story.

My rank came from my inability to pick out a good username and I blanked out on what a username was so I put title instead.

Either way, it is still true. >o>

My current rank is my first rank. I was thinking of something and I thought about how much of me is bullshit(pardon the french). I laugh at it now as I did then. I am nothing more than a Kingdom of Rubbish.

P.S. In case you think I am British because of rubbish, I'm not. I think of it as an overtly British word, so...  Anyways, I just thought it sounded witty and learned of me.

Someone who posts videos on an anime site where it shows their user profile. It says "I was just someone in the crowd. But I am unique. Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Just like me." It's counter-intuitive, I think. 

Hey, look at that there's a galaxy as my prof picture and my Title is Andromeda.

The fuck is Andromeda you ask?

The galaxy closest to us.

It's an unfinished sentence. "Back from the brink of death." I've just been offline and felt compelled to reestablish myself again. I know I've made some people happy from coming back. (Hopefully.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Who WOULDN'T try to arrest a shifty, raven obsessed plague doctor who claims to be mexican?

Australians. They'd buy you a beer assuming you survive the wildlife long enough.

my brother's sister's viking's monkey's pole's computer's mother's CEO's snail's cousin's salesman's sister's dad's fish is a koala. Does that count as survivng with wildlife?

my brother's sister's viking's monkey's pole's computer's mother's CEO's snail's cousin's salesman's sister's dad's fish is a koala. Does that count as survivng with wildlife?

A Koala can only claw your face off, go out and put in some effort.

My 70% competitive winrate on Zenyatta, I feel like I've gotten disgustingly good with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back