Advice/Help When a lot of people view your RP, but don't join?

But you know what at least one person will do to this thread is just read it and not reply. And THAT! That my friend is true comedy.

Just keep trying my friend. New threads get boosted because they show up on the front page, but this just means your pitch wasn't good enough.

Thanks for the advice, going to just write that series as a fanfiction. Maybe I'll post it as a story here on RPN.

The Explorer The Explorer

I love your concept, but it's a bit overwhelming and it's a little vague. But the first thing I would do is let go of the 7 parts/stories thing. Your players will most likely look to you for guidance and structure when rping. So you having a big plot to fulfill gives them something to do I imagine at every twist and turn. However, if one or more deviates from your plan, then you have to be prepared to follow their lead and provide gm events based on what they want to do.

Second, your idea about digivolving is a little vague and intimidating. As a systems rp'er I expect to see the instructions and requirements to digivolve. And without anything to see how you plan on tracking our friendship levels, it feels like a hassle. I'm not putting you down, but you need to either adopt an rp system like a table top game(pathfinder, Fate core, dnd) or formulate your own plan.

Third, your random remarks about the omnimon and digimaniac stuff, just seem odd. Try to refrain from giving out too much information about the future of the rp and stick to the premise.

Fourth, "being realistic" comment about having more one than digimon. First you need to establish which games people have played. Then you need to explain in the interest check what they have to do to juggle multiple monsters. In digimon world 3, we have a default of 3 digimon at all times. There's no maintenanece. While in digimon world 1, you have 1 digimon and have to raise its happiness, weight, stats, etc. So in this rp, which is all text. You have to explain what you expect players to do.

It takes place in real life, Digimon is a famous and awesome anime/game/etc. series. One man, my OC, invents the technology to bring next level fully interactable Augmented Reality Programs to life, and for some reason the first experiment he chose was to make Digimon Programs for this new Fixed Reality Technology. He posted a program called Digital Life Form on a random forum somewhere, along with the link to an App for Android and IOS phones. The App was A virtual pet for the digital life form, and enabled you to carry your new Digitama with you wherever you go. He also made all of the code open source along with a challenge, "First One to Mega Stage, meet me at the top of Mount Fuji."

It was unknown who this man was, or even how he developed the technology. But on fact was clear, he sparked a new generation of Digimon Fans.

The story follows everyone who downloaded the code and Apps, and their raising their digitama, and eventually making it to the top of Mount Fuji, where the Digimaniac set a letter, with another challenge. Find out who he is, and try to defeat him.

Some used their new partners for evil, backing up the code, and rewriting it to hack technology. Others, just wanted some time with their digimon. But there came forth the Self-Proclaimed Digimaniac, my oc in disguise, to stop the evil hackers and make history as the first hero, the Digimon Phantom.(First off, I recomend introducing the players to a normal world before digimon became real. Then I suggest you develop the rp plot to reveal these bad guys during the chaos. Don't have them already exist as it takes away from the player's exploration of the story)

So, yeah. In this one, it is possible to have any digimon as your partner, and if your OC can code, or just copy and paste the Apps, he or she can have as many digimon as they want. The problem is that Digimaniac coded the Programs with True Intelligence, meaning the digimon actually have a mind of their own. If you don't raise them properly they will abandon you, or try to fight you.(The issue here is you make it easy to create digimon, but then say it's like climbing mount everest to raise them. The requirements should be higher for getting new digimon. And don't prempt people. Only answer this question when someone asks, " How do I get new digimon".)

Digimon Digivolve through Bonds and Friendship with their Tamers.(Explain). Each Digimon is unique so it is very difficult to Jogress/DNA Digivolve without another person being a good friend.(If you want people to have only one digimon, that's fine. However, if they are supposed to manage unique digimon. Tell us what that means. It's very vague and unclear. It's going to drive people away because they're not sure what you want. ) OCs Only!

The blue is fine. This sets up the rp relatively well. It tells me that there's a mystery behind the technology that allowed digimon to be real. And this maniac is holed up at the top of mount fuji. Our job as players is to beat him. The rest of the stuff in orange/red are what cause the issues. You might be better served with just having random amounts of exp giving for beating bad guys and telling people how much exp they need to digivolve.

I would like to add an addendum that is both relevant and a reference.
Plan it, evolve it, build it.

If you build it, they will come.

Alrighty, I will take your experience to heart then. I will reform the RP as soon as I figure out an RP Plan for for what you suggest. Um...any further elaborations would be welcome. As soon as i figure out what would be best.

I simply need to know two things. And i will make the reforms needed as drastic as possible while keeping the parts you said are okay.

1. How would a Digivolution system mixed between Anime/Game lines work? Would that make things easier, i.e In the the anime certain digimon only digivolved through certain means, like Guilmon required the D-Ark digivice. I just need to know if the Digivolution App I had in mind would allow you to choose the digivice you wanted at first, and your first digitama based on the Digivice you chose, would be a better fit.

2. Actually I just thought of something, what if the app allowed you to have a very visible Tamer Level. Would that help solve the problems of raising and training Digimon?

3. What if i just make it to where the ocs and their digimon just have to go through enough events to make it where they can Jogress as soon as a certain threshold is met?

Would that solve all of the problems?

1. How would a Digivolution system mixed between Anime/Game lines work? Would that make things easier, i.e In the the anime certain digimon only digivolved through certain means, like Guilmon required the D-Ark digivice. I just need to know if the Digivolution App I had in mind would allow you to choose the digivice you wanted at first, and your first digitama based on the Digivice you chose, would be a better fit.
Unless this digivice plays into the story of the rp, I would just let people have general digivices and have them choose what digimon they want in rp. That way they can go out and find a mod that turns their digivice into a D-Ark if need be. Without weighing people down with specific devices. Now if you are only going to do the anime series or game in question, fine. You have to communicate this in your title and in your interest check though. Because normie fans like myself who have decade long gaps in our understanding of digimon aren't going to know what a D-ark is. lol

2. Actually I just thought of something, what if the app allowed you to have a very visible Tamer Level. Would that help solve the problems of raising and training Digimon?
So like, before you can have wargreymon for example, you need to be level 40? I guess as long as people know the thresholds and they have an understanding that it might be a while before they can get stronger digimon.

3. What if i just make it to where the ocs and their digimon just have to go through enough events to make it where they can Jogress as soon as a certain threshold is met?
Are you thinking about a friendship meter? If not, explain what kind of events they go through and what indication do I have toward my progress of using fusion digievolution?

Digimon world Next Order had a bond meter, so something like that would be in the App or in some form in the RP.

And yeah the Digivice is just a section of the main app, storywise at every 10th tamer level, you would get to choose a Crest, a Digimental, and a new Digivice.

So there would be, story wise, an Infrared Connection mode on the App. There are Digimon Bonds, and Trainer Bonds. If say you had a Exveemon and I had a Stingmon, the more we use the infrared connection our Trainer Bonds would go up. The higher the trainer bonds the Higher the theshold.

Digimon Bonds on Singleplayer Mode would count towards only the OCs Tamer Level and Personal Digimon Bonds.

But in Multiplayer mode, Jogress would be possible if one OCs Trainer Bond Level and another OCs Trainer Bond Level was high enough. I.e. The more you connect the higher the Combined Trainer Bond level is.

Does that make sense?

Digimon world Next Order had a bond meter, so something like that would be in the App or in some form in the RP.

And yeah the Digivice is just a section of the main app, storywise at every 10th tamer level, you would get to choose a Crest, a Digimental, and a new Digivice.

So there would be, story wise, an Infrared Connection mode on the App. There are Digimon Bonds, and Trainer Bonds. If say you had a Exveemon and I had a Stingmon, the more we use the infrared connection our Trainer Bonds would go up. The higher the trainer bonds the Higher the theshold.

Digimon Bonds on Singleplayer Mode would count towards only the OCs Tamer Level and Personal Digimon Bonds.

But in Multiplayer mode, Jogress would be possible if one OCs Trainer Bond Level and another OCs Trainer Bond Level was high enough. I.e. The more you connect the higher the Combined Trainer Bond level is.

Does that make sense?
Bond meter sounds fine. The question is, how are you going to handle the mechanic. No matter how you slice it, it is a form of time gating your players. Too much bond and they invalidate the rp. Too little and they have nothing to do for long periods of time. So finding the happy medium is gonna be up to you and your players. But at face value, it sounds like an okay idea.

I don't think trainer bonds would sit well with people. Bonds should be formed in story and be natural. Or at least, scripted out in a natural manner if youre that type of rp'er. But it should never be something like, " oh I'm 89 bond with fred and 49 with jenny. I need to boost my bond with her". If you know what I mean ;)

As a gm I sometimes facilitate a solo activity for players. But this isn't like a real phone game. if a player diverges, that's the only time I suggest being heavy handed. They should be rping together. So making a single player mode when you're supposed to be group rping isn't a good idea.

but if you have a specific idea in mind for why there needs to be a single and multiplayer mode,beyond bond levels, lemme know.

True, but it wasn't for RP mechanics it was all story mechanics. No stats included. Only OCs talking and using the app.

The Explorer The Explorer Well, it is ultimately your project. As long as you are upfront that becoming best friends with their digimon = more powers. Then you should be fine. However I would suggest that if story based bonds is what youre after. Then you should consider playing their digimon. That way people aren't becoming friends with themselves, but rather, with another player who is rping as their digimon.

still watching fma still watching fma Okay, thanks. Going to make it to where they can command their Digimon, and I RP as the Digimon. My only problem is that i don't know how to mix the Story Mechanics and with the RP Mechanics or I would do something different.

What I really want to do is make it to where they control their digimon and their Character through the Story, but have the App be both RP Mechanics based.

Too bad that i'm not sure how to pull that off.

For example:

The OCs would use the app in the story, but the actually roleplayers have to go through the rp mechanics. Does that make sense? If so, how would I do that?

still watching fma still watching fma Okay, thanks. Going to make it to where they can command their Digimon, and I RP as the Digimon. My only problem is that i don't know how to mix the Story Mechanics and with the RP Mechanics or I would do something different.

What I really want to do is make it to where they control their digimon and their Character through the Story, but have the App be both RP Mechanics based.

Too bad that i'm not sure how to pull that off.

For example:

The OCs would use the app in the story, but the actually roleplayers have to go through the rp mechanics. Does that make sense? If so, how would I do that?
explain what you think rp mechanics are so I can be on the same page

Users who are viewing this thread

Back