Experiences What's one RP trope/topic that makes you leave without discussion?

It is usually more behavior than topics/tropes that make me leave without discussing it. But there's a few things:
- bad stuff happening to pregnant women and/or children. It is triggering and often just a weak plot device.
- It never came up, but probably abuse, too. Specifically domestic abuse.
- Anything seks related. Just no.

First person povs. That confuses me so much.
Even though I've been a member of RPN for about two years, I haven't spent a ton of time on the site until recently. I've noticed that, apparently, I'm one of only a limited handful of individuals who write in first person POV -- it's just the way I've always written. (I started writing as a teenager, and I think using first person was a way for me to vent some of my teen angst vicariously through my OCs. Since then, it's always been important for me to "connect" with my OCs in order to do my best writing. I'm the kind of writer who puts a lot of myself into my work; RP isn't just a way to pass time, it's a way for me to express myself.) I'm genuinely curious why that particular writing style seems to bother people, because I've also seen 1x1 search threads where people say they won't write with someone who uses that POV. It's totally cool for people to have preferences, of course, but as I said, I'm just curious to know why that writing style troubles some people.

Even though I've been a member of RPN for about two years, I haven't spent a ton of time on the site until recently. I've noticed that, apparently, I'm one of only a limited handful of individuals who write in first person POV -- it's just the way I've always written. (I started writing as a teenager, and I think using first person was a way for me to vent some of my teen angst vicariously through my OCs. Since then, it's always been important for me to "connect" with my OCs in order to do my best writing. I'm the kind of writer who puts a lot of myself into my work; RP isn't just a way to pass time, it's a way for me to express myself.) I'm genuinely curious why that particular writing style seems to bother people, because I've also seen 1x1 search threads where people say they won't write with someone who uses that POV. It's totally cool for people to have preferences, of course, but as I said, I'm just curious to know why that writing style troubles some people.

I used to write in first person perspective before changing it to third person. For me, I also started as a teenager to express myself. Now, I want to make stories and I found that some people find the perspective cringy or it becomes a gateway for the player to become too attached or biased for their character.

While first person has its pros and cons like any other perspective, I have met quite a few first person people who identify with their characters so much that any slight against their character they take personally and become heated OOC. It's just something people would rather not mess with. For others, it's confusing when trying to write in third person just to read the next entry in first person. For some people, it's immersive, so a break in narrative voice such as a change in perspectives is too jarring and they think they are the character they are reading. While writing in first person is generally good to get into the mindset of a character, it is generally harder for a reader to understand he mindset of that character if it's not theirs to begin with and if your character misses something important, it's difficult to include what your character missed in the post itself without making them sound omniscient unless you know how to do so.

It's also common narrative mistakes too, which some people would like to have as little as possible and apparently first person makes it far more common. Maybe that's just my experience coloring the time I've seen it used but yeah.

I used to write in first person perspective before changing it to third person. For me, I also started as a teenager to express myself. Now, I want to make stories and I found that some people find the perspective cringy or it becomes a gateway for the player to become too attached or biased for their character.

While first person has its pros and cons like any other perspective, I have met quite a few first person people who identify with their characters so much that any slight against their character they take personally and become heated OOC. It's just something people would rather not mess with. For others, it's confusing when trying to write in third person just to read the next entry in first person. For some people, it's immersive, so a break in narrative voice such as a change in perspectives is too jarring and they think they are the character they are reading. While writing in first person is generally good to get into the mindset of a character, it is generally harder for a reader to understand he mindset of that character if it's not theirs to begin with and if your character misses something important, it's difficult to include what your character missed in the post itself without making them sound omniscient unless you know how to do so.

It's also common narrative mistakes too, which some people would like to have as little as possible and apparently first person makes it far more common. Maybe that's just my experience coloring the time I've seen it used but yeah.
Thanks so much, all of what you said makes a ton of sense. Luckily, I'm able to put enough separation between myself and my characters that I don't get offended on their behalf XD I can see where that would be a problem for some writers, though. And with the POV whiplash as well. It's probably because I'm used to it, having really only written with other people who write in a different POV from myself, so I'm more desensitized to the back-and-forth switch. As for my writing partner having to read directly from my OCs perspective "and thinking that they are the character they're reading," I hadn't even considered how that might be confusing -- again, probably because I've so rarely written with another first person writer. So I really appreciate your response!

Honestly, I've tried third person POV in the past for certain OCs where first person didn't quite fit, and just could not get into the swing of it. I suppose I'll just have to be on the lookout for people who don't mind my writing quirk!

AtomBombBaby AtomBombBaby personally I think first person doesn’t work because I am not living vicariously through your character. It’s great if it helps you connect with your own character but that’s not really the point of roleplaying.

You have to be able to connect with both characters equally in a narrative for it to be satisfying. And first person very much gives the impression that one character is more important than the other (especially if your partner is not also writing in first person).

Not saying that is true or even your intention, but from a readers perspective that’s why I don’t like first person.

AtomBombBaby AtomBombBaby personally I think first person doesn’t work because I am not living vicariously through your character. It’s great if it helps you connect with your own character but that’s not really the point of roleplaying.

You have to be able to connect with both characters equally in a narrative for it to be satisfying. And first person very much gives the impression that one character is more important than the other (especially if your partner is not also writing in first person).

Not saying that is true or even your intention, but from a readers perspective that’s why I don’t like first person.
I totally get that, as Merciless Medic pointed out to me just a minute ago. I definitely don't hold my characters above my writing partner's, of course, it's just a writing quirk of mine I've had for a long time, and I feel like I write more successfully from that POV than the more standard third person past tense. I definitely see how it looks very self-centered, though! It's not something I'm going to change, but I appreciate your response because I can be more mindful about it when writing with another person ^-^

I am sure it's just a matter of habit. As in, people aren't used to it and go: "What? But that's heretical!" Functionally, there's no real difference. I come from a community where we all rped in first person, and coming here felt equally weird to me back then. It's just sad that first person rpers get branded as wish fulfilment seekers etc., because it really is just a different style.

I am sure it's just a matter of habit. As in, people aren't used to it and go: "What? But that's heretical!" Functionally, there's no real difference. I come from a community where we all rped in first person, and coming here felt equally weird to me back then. It's just sad that first person rpers get branded as wish fulfilment seekers etc., because it really is just a different style.
I really appreciate this, because it's definitely more a matter of habit/preference than anything else -- there's no selfish, underlying motive! Maybe it's just because I'm a more mature writer who's been role-playing for a long time, and that's where my perspective is based. The site I was on previously had a healthy mix of all writing styles, but that was a long time ago, probably eight years, and I haven't been very active on this site at all. Trying to change that, so it's good to know where the community stands on these kinds of things!

I totally get that, as Merciless Medic pointed out to me just a minute ago. I definitely don't hold my characters above my writing partner's, of course, it's just a writing quirk of mine I've had for a long time, and I feel like I write more successfully from that POV than the more standard third person past tense. I definitely see how it looks very self-centered, though! It's not something I'm going to change, but I appreciate your response because I can be more mindful about it when writing with another person ^-^
You should do what makes you feel comfortable and what you enjoy. It's the style you like and I know there are plenty others out there that enjoy it as well so keep doing what you love. Don't let anyone make you feel any differently, not saying you do, but you get what I mean.

I wouldn’t say self centered from the perspective of the writer. I think the issue is that you are focusing on how you write the character but not really considering how it looks to read the character.

First person from the readers perspective only really works if you can project your own experience/aspirations into the character. So like you as the writer can relate because the character is like you as a person.

But that doesn’t mean the character will be like your partner in the same way. It’s sort of the danger of the first person perspective, if the reader doesn’t automatically relate to the characters perspective then it just comes across as jarring.

Which is why third person is standard for most published work. It allows readers to choose how much they want to project onto the character.

The issue is compounded if there are multiple protagonists, especially if they are written in different styles. But even if both protagonists are written from first person you still have to hope the reader can project themselves into the characters equally. Or else it feels like one character has a spotlight and one doesn’t.

It’s just a very difficult style to get readers to by into. Not impossible, given familiarity or skill, but certainly harder then third person.

I have not seen it on this site (yet), but I have seen on other sites forum topics discussing "The Merits Of Mary Sue/Stu Characters."

This is not a joke.

I have seen forums come up trying to discuss points for why Mary Sue/Stu characters are good for role-playing and story telling.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but in all my years of role-playing and studying the craft of Creative Writing, not once have I found a legitimately good point to be made about creating a Mary Sue/Stu character. And the main reason is because the very definition of "story," in relation to character creation, is defined by "struggle" and "obstacles" that are overcome to help said character discover who they truly are and deal with the problems they've been facing. When you have an unrealistically free of weakness or obstacles character, you literally have no story to tell with them.

So yeah. Any time I see a discussion about Mary Sue/Stu characters, I don't bother. I move on.

I have not seen it on this site (yet), but I have seen on other sites forum topics discussing "The Merits Of Mary Sue/Stu Characters."

This is not a joke.

I have seen forums come up trying to discuss points for why Mary Sue/Stu characters are good for role-playing and story telling.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but in all my years of role-playing and studying the craft of Creative Writing, not once have I found a legitimately good point to be made about creating a Mary Sue/Stu character. And the main reason is because the very definition of "story," in relation to character creation, is defined by "struggle" and "obstacles" that are overcome to help said character discover who they truly are and deal with the problems they've been facing. When you have an unrealistically free of weakness or obstacles character, you literally have no story to tell with them.

So yeah. Any time I see a discussion about Mary Sue/Stu characters, I don't bother. I move on.
What about Saitama from One Punch Man? He tries to surpass his Gary Stu-dom of being the strongest character ever by going on a journey to find someone not weak in a society that ridicules him because he's weird. XD That story was kind interesting.

Though, now that I think about it, he's not really considered a Gary Stu anymore, is he? He's just super strong and fast. Kinda just basing him on being too powerful for the setting he's in. Lol

What about Saitama from One Punch Man? He tries to surpass his Gary Stu-dom of being the strongest character ever by going on a journey to find someone not weak in a society that ridicules him because he's weird. XD That story was kind interesting.

Though, now that I think about it, he's not really considered a Gary Stu anymore, is he? He's just super strong and fast. Kinda just basing him on being too powerful for the setting he's in. Lol

Good question, and you may be surprised to find he's actually not a Gary Stu character.

A Gary Stu is a male character without weakness. Period. That includes mental or emotional weakness as well. Not just physical. And while Saitama cannot be physically damaged or defeated, he's not without mental or emotional weaknesses.

In particular, Saitama isn't the smartest tool in the shed and frequently snaps at people to keep things simple so he can understand them. While this is usually used for comedic effect, it is nonetheless a weakness.

He's also prone to jealousy and has an overly competitive nature as demonstrated when he kept losing to King in video games and threw temper tantrums on numerous occasions, as well as being jealous of Genos' fan base.

He's also very frugal and likes to pinch pennies, which makes him somewhat petty and greedy, to some extent.

Saitama has also stated openly in the beginning of the series that his overwhelming strength has robbed him of numerous emotional responses to life, particularly what it feels like to experience a thrill, fear, doubt, or any sense of urgency about anything. And while some might not see it as a weakness, try imagining for yourself for a minute if you never experienced doubt in your life. How stale would things get, and how jaded and disconnected would you become if you never doubted anything you did or any chance of victory in what would be life-ending situations for anyone but yourself. In short, his own strength has basically given him mild depression due to the emotional damage it's caused by robbing him of these kinds of otherwise everyday feelings that a normal person experiences.

So, while Saitama is physically indestructible he is far from a true Gary Stu character who is without any form of weakness.

Cheers!

Oh boy, my personal stuff.

Fandoms with canon characters. I was never one to want to use someone else's already established character.

Magical girl roleplays with loli looking characters.

The wanting of me to play a male character who is abusive, possessive, obsessive, an overall irredeemable rotten human being but somehow is able to fall in love with the Mary Sue through all of that.

Male pregnancy.

Romance between a human and something not human.

The wanting of me to play a male character who is abusive, possessive, obsessive, an overall irredeemable rotten human being but somehow is able to fall in love with the Mary Sue through all of that.
That reminds me of a time where I had a male character. He cold to others and distant but he was actually really sweet and was just distrusting of others. But this one girl wanted to roleplay rough and abusive sex with her female character even though that would have been out of character for him and plus he was asexual.

When we start to get into fetish territory, that's already a sign of trouble. It could be things like male pregnancy, as others have mentioned, or watersports.....

Additionally, when I have partners that play a character who is shy and kind, not only is it common and uninteresting, but it's basically a sign that this person is not going to contribute much, basically add one little thing while mainly paraphrasing your last response...

I haven't encountered someone who wants to include rape, but I'm certain it'll be something that'll keep me away.

InnerlichTot InnerlichTot thats interesting I wouldn’t associate “shy and kind” with a sexy lamp. I think mostly cuz I do a lot of HP roleplays where “shy and kind” is the defining characteristics of one of the canon houses. So it’s just “gotcha they’re a Hufflepuff”.

I will however leave if they add “pretty” and some self martyring bullshit. Like oh they are always nice all the time but it’s not a flaw at all how dare you insinuate it is.

InnerlichTot InnerlichTot thats interesting I wouldn’t associate “shy and kind” with a sexy lamp. I think mostly cuz I do a lot of HP roleplays where “shy and kind” is the defining characteristics of one of the canon houses. So it’s just “gotcha they’re a Hufflepuff”.

I will however leave if they add “pretty” and some self martyring bullshit. Like oh they are always nice all the time but it’s not a flaw at all how dare you insinuate it is.
Yeah, I think overall "shy and kind" isn't a problem in itself, but I understand it being a problem if the author uses it as an excuse to make their partner do all the heavy lifting for the plot. But plenty of shy people are capable of normal interaction, they just aren't as extroverted as other people and probably feel awkward making new friends.

I have made kind and shy characters, the only time it was a problem was when my partner tried to force her to interact with their asshole character who, quite frankly, was being overly friendly and touchy way too quickly so my OC was, understandably, not that interested in talking to him.

But that had nothing to do with her being kind and shy, because she was able to easily interact with other characters and I always make sure characters are proactive in the plot. That particular case was because the character being forced on her was a dick. Funnily enough, it was really me doing most of the heavy lifting for that RP looking back on it.

All this to say, kind and shy can work if in the right hands and it does not inherently mean you'll be stuck doing all the heavy lifting.

Yeah, I think overall "shy and kind" isn't a problem in itself, but I understand it being a problem if the author uses it as an excuse to make their partner do all the heavy lifting for the plot. But plenty of shy people are capable of normal interaction, they just aren't as extroverted as other people and probably feel awkward making new friends.

I have made kind and shy characters, the only time it was a problem was when my partner tried to force her to interact with their asshole character who, quite frankly, was being overly friendly and touchy way too quickly so my OC was, understandably, not that interested in talking to him.

But that had nothing to do with her being kind and shy, because she was able to easily interact with other characters and I always make sure characters are proactive in the plot. That particular case was because the character being forced on her was a dick. Funnily enough, it was really me doing most of the heavy lifting for that RP looking back on it.

All this to say, kind and shy can work if in the right hands and it does not inherently mean you'll be stuck doing all the heavy lifting.

I think it is usually down to communication. Typically speaking anyone who kinda half ass their character will half ass other things. So if their entire character can be summed up in like three words then I’m gonna give a hard pass.

It doesn’t matter what those three words are either. “Pretty, popular, heart of gold.” Is the combo that I usually get.

Where it’s very clear the person cares more about the pretty and popular then giving the character any kind of personality or driving force.

This is not a joke.

Mary Sue/Gary Stu characters tend to already be perfect in every way upon creation. That doesn't allow room for much in the way of character growth or development, which is boring (at least to me).

However, I have created one before, but it was in a satirical RP where players were supposed to play those types of characters.

Mary Sue/Gary Stu characters tend to already be perfect in every way upon creation. That doesn't allow room for much in the way of character growth or development, which is boring (at least to me).

However, I have created one before, but it was in a satirical RP where players were supposed to play those types of characters.

It’s a matter of perception. Mary Sues work when the character acknowledges the premise.

A Mary Sue is basically just a super conceited person really. There are any number of people who believe they are flawless and excel at everything under the Sun. They are nightmares to deal with but they are sadly entirely realistic individuals.

My uncle is like that and it drives my mom nuts. So I think if you play the character as someone with an inflated view of themselves it works beautifully.

All it really takes is a player who has a sense of humor and is willing to poke fun at themselves.

Thus the problem with Mary Sues is never the character itself. It’s the fact that the player is well exactly the person I just described. They think they (the player) are perfect and know everything. Or at least are desperate to give off that impression to other people.

And once again they are a nightmare to deal with. The best thing to do with Mary Sue players is ignore them. They are only out for the attention and once you stop giving it to them they will either learn better means of communicating or they will sulk in a corner out of your way.

I actually have a different definition of Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu. I don't think they are created perfect because 99% of the Mary Sue characters I have run into have glaringly obvious flaws, it is just that the author of said character never narratively acknowledges said flaws.

Pretty much it comes down to how delusional the writer for the character is. If they are totally self-aware then it can actually be pretty fun for a story and can be incredibly humorous. But, once again, this would require an entirely self-aware author who knows they are writing a Mary Sue.

Where Mary Sue gets grating is when the author actively won't acknowledge the glaringly obvious flaws in their character and instead act like they are perfect. Sometimes going as far as to be angry at other players because their characters actually see those flaws and respond to them accordingly.

This is why Mary Sues can work better in non-collaborative writing where the author has full control over the entire narrative world built around the character. Now there are no pesky people who will react like normal human beings to this perfect little Mary Sue. Instead, they will all bend to the narrative that the author wants them to.

But in collaborative writing like RPing? Yeah, no bueno. Every player is going to end up annoyed and rolling their eyes.

The asshole who needs to be cured through love.

Sigh.

You know what I mean?
That kind of character that's just a complete dick by default. That would be fine if there actually was any character development to happen, possibly because their behavior gets them into trouble or something, but the whole 'cured by kindness' when the other character has no reason whatsoever to even bother, just... No.
"Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy, but I just hate you, so die now maybe."
"But don't you see that I love you (for no reason), you wonderful booboo?"
Nope.

For some odd reason this kind of character also always seems to be written by the same kind of writer, who will be at your throat the second you mention that it doesn't make much sense for your character to even 'cure' theirs with kindness.

Having intimate relationships with Pokemon-the actual Pokemon. No! Had someone approach me once about that and I'm like: "Dude, no way! Gross. Get out of here with that crap."

I really appreciate this, because it's definitely more a matter of habit/preference than anything else -- there's no selfish, underlying motive! Maybe it's just because I'm a more mature writer who's been role-playing for a long time, and that's where my perspective is based. The site I was on previously had a healthy mix of all writing styles, but that was a long time ago, probably eight years, and I haven't been very active on this site at all. Trying to change that, so it's good to know where the community stands on these kinds of things!
I think to shed some additional light on this, something I'm surprised nobody mentions is that we all did first person POVs early on. Also when we're early on we tend to self insert a fair bit to vent out angst and frustrations. For me, first person POV seems like a self-insert, and that can feel very icky when it's in a romance thread or somebody has a 'bad attitude' in character. Not to the point of ditching the RP, but it is a bit unusual and oftentimes odd to run into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back