Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a character that I worked really hard on, that I want to use in an RP. I don't know what the deal is I don't know if this character is cursed or what have you, but no RP where I try to use this character be it group or 1x1 ever lasts long enough for me to really play with them if at all, sometimes the RP doesn't even start. I just want to use my character damn it!
Bro I have a character like that too! I’ve tried 2-3 times to use him in an rp, and it always fizzles out!

Bro I have a character like that too! I’ve tried 2-3 times to use him in an rp, and it always fizzles out!
only two or three times?
356548710f3f59337f3bfca0f6ec41d8.jpeg

I have an Adepta Sororita (WH40K fandom) that I've had to of pitched at LEAST 12 or 13 times over the last four years. I even made a NSFW version to try on adult RP sites. But I still have nothing to show for it but a SUPER detailed Character bio/sheet. It's at the point now where I'm so jaded about trying something with that character, that even thinking about tossing her out there again drums up a negative association. So I just stopped trying altogether. Like, I just can't. I'm sick of even promoting her at this point.

Last edited:
It’s lack of effort/collaboration for me or when I feel like I’m the only one plotting/writing the story. I’m capable of plotting/writing on my own, but the point of RP, at least imo, is to have someone contribute a new idea/scene/twist. Most people say that they’re interested in a certain idea, but provide no further information or context. After a while, it’s tasking to always have to drive the story forward with little input from someone else.

When you’re the only one who seems to actually be excited about the rp, when everyone else is very clinical and dry in the OOC and you feel as if you’re the only one genuinely interested in the characters

Admittedly this is a bit of a copy-paste from months ago (well, the first paragraph at least), but:

When people assume you don't care for a thread because you haven't responded yet/in a while and lack the spoons to tackle it. That's my biggest gripe trying to find partners, Activity is their biggest must and there's a shortage of willing partners for low-spoon roleplayers such as myself. These people ironically do the ghosting they so claim to happen, in my own experience, even when I eventually get back to them longer than they wanted of me.

It makes it very hard for me to want to continue with roleplaying as a whole too, on top of that. I've been very out of practice and would very much love to get back into it but the environment of post-by-post roleplaying itself has changed almost completely and I can barely keep up with how demanding those changes are when seeking to dip my toe back in.

It also very often feels like I'm the only one who ever feels this way as well, which doesn't make it any better I suppose.. I just can't latch onto anything anymore and wish people would just be patient instead of assume the worst of and abandon me for my shortcomings.

Loosely Related, I also don't like the concept of "temping". It borders on invasive and I don't want people controlling my characters without my consent "for the sake of the roleplay". It's also another reason I'm hesitant to join rp these days since my inactivity is bound to set someone off and have them think they should do that when they never had express permission. It feels like a punishment for not being active.

Last edited:
Admittedly this is a bit of a copy-paste from months ago (well, the first paragraph at least), but:

When people assume you don't care for a thread because you haven't responded yet/in a while and lack the spoons to tackle it. That's my biggest gripe trying to find partners, Activity is their biggest must and there's a shortage of willing partners for low-spoon roleplayers such as myself. These people ironically do the ghosting they so claim to happen, in my own experience, even when I eventually get back to them longer than they wanted of me.

It makes it very hard for me to want to continue with roleplaying as a whole too, on top of that. I've been very out of practice and would very much love to get back into it but the environment of post-by-post roleplaying itself has changed almost completely and I can barely keep up with how demanding those changes are when seeking to dip my toe back in.

It also very often feels like I'm the only one who ever feels this way as well, which doesn't make it any better I suppose.. I just can't latch onto anything anymore and wish people would just be patient instead of assume the worst of and abandon me for my shortcomings.

Loosely Related, I also don't like the concept of "temping". It borders on invasive and I don't want people controlling my characters without my consent "for the sake of the roleplay". It's also another reason I'm hesitant to join rp these days since my inactivity is bound to set someone off and have them think they should do that when they never had express permission. It feels like a punishment for not being active.
True. Sometimes I will take weeks, or even months, to respond. I need partners who are willing to accommodate this. Posting back and forth daily is just not feasible for me.

...It makes it very hard for me to want to continue with roleplaying as a whole too, on top of that. I've been very out of practice and would very much love to get back into it but the environment of post-by-post roleplaying itself has changed almost completely and I can barely keep up with how demanding those changes are when seeking to dip my toe back in.

It also very often feels like I'm the only one who ever feels this way as well, which doesn't make it any better I suppose.. I just can't latch onto anything anymore and wish people would just be patient instead of assume the worst of and abandon me for my shortcomings...
True. Sometimes I will take weeks, or even months, to respond. I need partners who are willing to accommodate this. Posting back and forth daily is just not feasible for me.
Group me in with the (small) mob that doesn't have the availability to post every day, much less multiple times a day. I tell people I can realistically be expected to make an RP reply two or three times a week. I've noticed especially on Discord groups that the new "normal" is people posting back and forth for a couple hours. That's absolutely out of my availability.

I've noticed especially on Discord groups that the new "normal" is people posting back and forth for a couple hours. That's absolutely out of my availability.
This is not new. It's always been like that with group roleplays. Well, not with all of them but it always happened regardless of the platform (chat, discord, forums, blogs.... )
One of the main reasons I couldn't get into group rp. The only time I enjoyed it was when there was fixed post order schedule. I dropped out as soon as it stopped being the case because I couldn't keep up.

This is not new. It's always been like that with group roleplays. Well, not with all of them but it always happened regardless of the platform (chat, discord, forums, blogs.... )
One of the main reasons I couldn't get into group rp. The only time I enjoyed it was when there was fixed post order schedule. I dropped out as soon as it stopped being the case because I couldn't keep up.
to reiterate, most of the time on Discord I find that I dont actually get to be in a "group", but rather that the entire server is a group of players all making their characters in the same setting. It's kinda sorta like a bunch of 1x1s going on in the same roleplay. Which, not gonna lie, is not optimal in my book. But sometimes it's the closest thing I've managed to get to a group in (fandom/setting X).

Either way, the norm there seems to be very quick post rates. In group RPs of the forum variety, there is usually a couple of days time before it gets back to being my "turn" to post. Or if we don't have specific turns, it still winds up being at least a day or two before everyone has responded and we can sum up the actions to a respondent GM. Of course... this dynamic is years old in the recalling. It's been quite a while since I've been in a successful group RP.

Yes, this is why I rarely do groups. At least in 1x1's there's only one person you need to consider if you're going to be slow in responding.

Yes, this is why I rarely do groups. At least in 1x1's there's only one person you need to consider if you're going to be slow in responding.
I will admit, it does usually turn into a clusterfuck. Either you have everyone waiting around for someone to post, or you wind up leaving others too fa behind to reasonably catch up. Either way usually leads to people dropping out.
🤷‍♀️

I will admit, it does usually turn into a clusterfuck. Either you have everyone waiting around for someone to post, or you wind up leaving others too fa behind to reasonably catch up. Either way usually leads to people dropping out.
🤷‍♀️
I'm usually one of those people getting left behind. That just causes me to drop out since I have no idea what is even going on. I'm just too slow of a poster for most groups.

Group me in with the (small) mob that doesn't have the availability to post every day, much less multiple times a day. I tell people I can realistically be expected to make an RP reply two or three times a week. I've noticed especially on Discord groups that the new "normal" is people posting back and forth for a couple hours. That's absolutely out of my availability.
Gosh, if I'm being honest, I can't even keep up with anything on a weekly basis! That's probably why people steer clear of me when it comes to roleplay 😂 I take.. more than a week, sometimes a month, and I suppose that's enough to drive most mad! I could never mean it to be any form of ghosting/disinterest either, but unfortunately that's how a lot of roleplayers take it these days 💦

Gosh, if I'm being honest, I can't even keep up with anything on a weekly basis! That's probably why people steer clear of me when it comes to roleplay 😂 I take.. more than a week, sometimes a month, and I suppose that's enough to drive most mad! I could never mean it to be any form of ghosting/disinterest either, but unfortunately that's how a lot of roleplayers take it these days 💦
I mean, if you're up front and honest about it, I'm sure there are people who can get on board. I wouldn't mind that if I just know what's up. I can wait. I think nowadays there's very little patience with a majority of people.

The role play started becoming about their character that the canons are now pushed to the side. Well, to the point where most of the plots are revolved around saving and protecting them.

Y'know the funny thing about me and group RP is that I'll be the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. person to show interest in it. But then I'm the first one to get my CS done and submitted (and even approved) a lot of the time. And then I'm waiting, and waiting, and waiting... for the rest of the group to make good on their so-called interest in the RP.

A week goes by, maybe two, before this RP is even close to starting. So, by the time it does, I already got my intro post primed and ready to go.

Rp starts: BAM! intro posted.

Then I wait for a couple days for everyone else to get situated, which... I don't understand why because they've had the same amount of time to get this sorted. Then we just wind-up waiting, and waiting, and waiting for people who just seem to have been swallowed by the abyss to get their posts in.

Finally looks like the RP is getting traction, and then... stalls. Everyone has convenient excuses for not posting all of a sudden and the story grinds to a pause.

So I chill for a bit. No worries, they'll post here and there, and I'll just check in every now and again and see if it's going to be my turn soon. And someohow THAT's when everyone decided they were all going to get online together and completely move the whole goddamn story forward while I wasn't there to contribute anything. Nevermind that my ass was waiting weeks just for them to get started.

Last edited:
They say 'I read your request, I think we'll be compatible' followed by nothing else then proceed to link me to their request thread.
If you're not going to bother to give me some ideas for pairings or add to plots or see if we even share similarities of common interests don't reach out.

i dunno if i’ve said this before, but when people adamantly refuse to do certain gender pairings… like, if you only do singles then whatever, i don’t care because we most likely won’t interact anyway, but it’s weird for doublers to me. for example yall… when people are like “i won’t do mlm or wlw pairings at all”, it’s the same to say that you won’t do wlm pairings at all, but only the former is considered problematic.

when it comes to mlm or wlw, i can understand in some context — i don’t feel comfortable writing mlm with women, or wlw with men, because it always comes off as fetishising ( or at least has the potential to be fetishising, i’d rather avoid it entirely )

OR if it’s like, you’re doing a plot that would work best with a certain gender pairing, idk, there are a lot of REASONS to do this

but to just say that you won’t write it because “you don’t know how” is bizarre, very bizarre… regardless of the pairing in question. idk, it just doesn’t sit well with me.

sevyn sevyn It’s kinda reverse fetishizing in a way. It assumes that certain types of relationships have to be “different” then “normal” relationships.

With normal being whatever relationshi the person happens to be in. And all other relationships having to be different cuz the gender combinations are different.

It’s like nah you don’t date genders you date personalities.

Idk, some people refuse to do hetero pairings and I don't see how that is any different from people who refuse to do queer pairings (unless said person is actively being homophobic or something).

I used to write MM and FF. Not saying this about everyone but about 96% of the time it was always the same thing at least in my experiences every time. Characters in certain roles. I got tired of it. You can have those pairings without having to subject the characters to set roles.

I used to write MM and FF. Not saying this about everyone but about 96% of the time it was always the same thing at least in my experiences every time. Characters in certain roles. I got tired of it. You can have those pairings without having to subject the characters to set roles.
Tbh, this is often true of hetero pairings too. Players often want the same few cookie cutter roles instead of allowing personalities to develop organically.

I hate whenever in MxM or FxF someone would describe roles as "top" or "dominant".

Like... that sounds so sexual. Why do you need that? Especially on a site that bans Erotic Roleplay.

So like, I am looking at these and wondering why these people think someone has to always be ""Dominant" or ""Top"" or ""Submissive"" in a relationship. Like... why can't characters just naturally interact with one another and we'll see what their dynamic is as it develops? no need to shove them into cookie cutter dynamics from the get.

I hate whenever in MxM or FxF someone would describe roles as "top" or "dominant".

Like... that sounds so sexual. Why do you need that? Especially on a site that bans Erotic Roleplay.

So like, I am looking at these and wondering why these people think someone has to always be ""Dominant" or ""Top"" or ""Submissive"" in a relationship. Like... why can't characters just naturally interact with one another and we'll see what their dynamic is as it develops? no need to shove them into cookie cutter dynamics from the get.
Right. I can't do romance with pre-determined personality types. That's immediately where I lose interest. Relationships need to develop naturally.

Right. I can't do romance with pre-determined personality types. That's immediately where I lose interest. Relationships need to develop naturally.
Yeah I am about the same. Whenever I see someone wanting to pre-determine my character in any way, I immediately lose interest. I like romance, but that is why I turn down so many romance RPs because too many of them the person in question already has a pre-set idea of what my character should be like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back