Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I swear I want to stop roleplaying completely because for every one or two great partners there are a dozen more that just work every fiber in me with ridiculous crap that seems too stupid to be real but it is.

--The freaking entitled attitudes as if basically telling me I am lucky to be able to write with them.

--No communication. I am not a mind reader. It's not my job to ask you about your triggers. This is where the open communication comes from rather than waiting until after we have gotten far to say this, that, that, this, that bothers you.

-I am NOT ghosting you when I tell you UPFRONT I have a doctor's appointment so you know roleplay is going to be the last thing on my mind.

Last edited:
When people forget the sci in sci fi.

When a fandom plot makes zero sense (unless Q has gotten involved).

I feel some kind of way about partners that are like super friendly and social during the planning phase, will even sit there and joke around with me share videos and then go radio silent as soon as the RP starts, and will even be half-ass hostile if you even attempt to converse with them outside of the RP even if it's about the freaking RP itself...and you really think I'm about to stay after that?

--The freaking entitled attitudes as if basically telling me I am lucky to be able to write with them.
This one gets me.

It's literally a hobby. I'm not at a loss if you decide not to RP with me, I'll just move on and continue my merry way without you.

Like no one here is some God that is above the rest. No one is beneath you when it comes to roleplay - there are just people that are more compatible than others.

How entitled some people feel just gets to me. Because a lot of the times they just make the experience way less fun for others.

For me it is often just the opposite. I get people who are intimidated by my writing - even after I tell them that I do NOT expect them to be English professors or some such. (Personally I think my own writing has gotten far worse over the years. I keep reading my older material and it is so much better.)

For me it is often just the opposite. I get people who are intimidated by my writing - even after I tell them that I do NOT expect them to be English professors or some such. (Personally I think my own writing has gotten far worse over the years. I keep reading my older material and it is so much better.)
I feel this too and honestly not to play the blame game but I think it has something to do with my partners. Now it's not their fault, but over the years I've tried to be less intimidating and more accommodating to my partners so I make my posts about as long as theirs so as not to scare them away. So where I used to be able to easily write 2000 words at the minimum, sometimes I now find myself struggling to write more than two paragraphs. Again it's not their fault, if anything I did it to myself.

I snuck a look at your writing. You have nothing to worry about. Your writing is great :)

I snuck a look at your writing. You have nothing to worry about. Your writing is great :)
Yes, but it used to be better.

I won the very first writing competition I entered when I was 13. State of New Mexico. No one told me I was competing against all ages. No one told the judges how old I was. Turns out I was too young to receive First Prize.

I feel this too and honestly not to play the blame game but I think it has something to do with my partners. Now it's not their fault, but over the years I've tried to be less intimidating and more accommodating to my partners so I make my posts about as long as theirs so as not to scare them away. So where I used to be able to easily write 2000 words at the minimum, sometimes I now find myself struggling to write more than two paragraphs. Again it's not their fault, if anything I did it to myself.
Speaking honestly, I do feel it has something to do with your partners too. One thing I don't think (in general) you should feel is intimidated by the writing of others. If anything it should challenge you. When I first started there were so many better writers than me, wrote more, etc and I wanted to do that as well so I kept at it. Challenged myself. I don't think anyone should have to limit how much they want to write because another person feels in a way about it. You're denying yourself your creativity.

This one gets me.

It's literally a hobby. I'm not at a loss if you decide not to RP with me, I'll just move on and continue my merry way without you.

Like no one here is some God that is above the rest. No one is beneath you when it comes to roleplay - there are just people that are more compatible than others.

How entitled some people feel just gets to me. Because a lot of the times they just make the experience way less fun for others.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Literally, this chick elsewhere told me, because I didn't reply back quickly enough, a lot of people are lining up to write with her and I should be lucky she answered my message at all. Yeah, she's blocked.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Literally, this chick elsewhere told me, because I didn't reply back quickly enough, a lot of people are lining up to write with her and I should be lucky she answered my message at all. Yeah, she's blocked.
Ugh ... I tell people that RL happens. However, try not to take TOO long. Too long and I start to lose interest ... and I am not getting any younger.

Well, I get weekends off. Don't want to waste them. I try to get out 2-3 posts per week if I can. But then I also work a 70 hour week.

To be fair if all your partners give you is around 2 paragraphs, to begin with, it's kinda hard to come up with a lot to respond to, they have to give you something to work with so if for the longest time you've only been getting about two paragraphs worth to work with then that's about the amount you're gonna put out.

This is going to sound incredibly petty but...

Verb Tense Inconsistency. English is a stupid and dumb language that makes grown men cry bitter tears, but nothing drives me up the wall more than this.

People who act like it's their God-given right to be rude over the smallest shit. Just because you don't like someone's opinion in an Rp of all things doesn't mean you have the right to be a hostile little shit, just don't answer and move on. I swear I see people give the most hostile responses to the most benign things and then are surprised Pikachu face when a fight breaks out. Please, don't even, you knew when you said that it was rude, you knew when you said that it was gonna start a fight, so either you wanted the smoke, thought they were a pushover and would just let it slide or you're an idiot if you think people are going to let you talk to them like that.

Last edited:
All of my current RPs don’t require a daily amount of constant attention, which is just encouraging me to find/make more rps, but I know the second I do I’ll just jinx myself and become too busy for all of them. 😭😭😭

All of my current RPs don’t require a daily amount of constant attention, which is just encouraging me to find/make more rps, but I know the second I do I’ll just jinx myself and become too busy for all of them. 😭😭😭
You should get 7 rps! one for each day XD

Getting kicked out of an RP because I disagree on (OOC!) political and social issues. Fuck that. What happened to putting our differences aside and just enjoying an RP? I… I have no words.

I honestly kinda feel that. It’s for me just a vicious cycle of, wanting to join RP’s, but filling myself up too full and then getting too burnt out to work on any of them, and then it starts all over again.

I hate doing any type of combat in a roleplay with someone who desperately wants there to be combat but doesn't know the first thing about the combat such as wearing full-bodied armor in a desert and fighting without issue. Wearing different types of armor affects a character's maneuverability.

I am by no means the greatest but I do my best and most of all research. I do know however not to call hits or have my character block EVERY SINGLE ATTACK. So not realistic.

Lets see a few of the things that have been bothering me lately...

- Planning out a whole ass roleplay with tons of in depth stuff, starting the rp and following the plan, and then the partner just leaving before anything happens. Like... I understand if I did something off the plan or was doing something wrong, but I was just responding (matching my partners length in response too, mind you) and then they leave out of the blue without saying anything? Full on leave the rp server too, not just ghosting... Like I guess I would have at least liked to know what the reason for leaving was after all that time spent plotting.

- When you write a response that is setting up your partner's character to do/say something (bonus points if its to do/say something that you planned for them to do while talking in ooc), and then they respond to you and don't acknowledge the thing you set them up for. For example... Romance rp where you purposefully setup some kind of flirty line, pr deliberately have the character touch the other or look at them a certain way, and you write about that very specifically... and then the response just ignores all those details without any acknowledgement?

- Low hanging fruit, but people who say they're literate, plan out an rp with you, and then end up writing two sentences for a response every time. Hate getting excited to find a partner, planning out a whole plot, and then ending up having my time wasted because I want to write out several paragraphs and am only getting a couple of sentences in response. I get it, not everyone wants to do multi paragraphs...but don't say you're a lengthy writer and then only give me a couple of short sentences :(

I hate doing any type of combat in a roleplay with someone who desperately wants there to be combat but doesn't know the first thing about the combat such as wearing full-bodied armor in a desert and fighting without issue. Wearing different types of armor affects a character's maneuverability.

I am by no means the greatest but I do my best and most of all research. I do know however not to call hits or have my character block EVERY SINGLE ATTACK. So not realistic.
Actually you can fight in a desert without issue:
-on firm ground
-so long as you keep your helm off until ready to fight (loosen the gorget too)
-don't try to fight for long unless you enjoy heat exhaustion

Okay ... those are issues. Incidentally the same applies to any hot climate.

On the other hand, blocking every blow IS possible ... but it depends on what you are using - and what you are defending against.

(Yes, I used to do European style combat in full armor.)

As to calling shots ... depends on your armor and the weapon striking it. Sword against well made plate? Pretty much ignore any lighter class sword.

Edit:
My bad .... this assumes CHIVALROUS combat. Dopey me.

FYI, in the SCA we called people who refused to call blows "Rhinos". You could literally break swords over them and they would call the blows "light."

Last edited:
Actually you can fight in a desert without issue:
-on firm ground
-so long as you keep your helm off until ready to fight (loosen the gorget too)
-don't try to fight for long unless you enjoy heat exhaustion

Okay ... those are issues. Incidentally the same applies to any hot climate.

On the other hand, blocking every blow IS possible ... but it depends on what you are using - and what you are defending against.

(Yes, I used to do European style combat in full armor.)

As to calling shots ... depends on your armor and the weapon striking it. Sword against well made plate? Pretty much ignore any lighter class sword.

I don’t think they were talking about equipment so much as Hollywood special effects.

You know how in movies people can be walking through a rainstorm and be bone dry? It’s kinda like that, since the fight scene is entirely imaginary the people involved are free of the little irritations that would be effecting a real fight.

The same way if you were actually walking out in a rainstorm you would be getting drenched but if your in movie land it doesn’t matter cuz it’s all fake.

I don’t think they were talking about equipment so much as Hollywood special effects.
Hollywood combat can get you hurt when you are learning European styles. Trust me; I know from experience. First time I tried to fight with a two hand sword I tried to block Hollywood style. Got my finger mashed as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back