Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, just bossy and overly controlling people in general. Never thought I'd see it here, but alas, I have. Not much to say on that, kinda self explanatory as to why that might piss me and anyone else off. Just general rudeness too, some people need to have some respect.

When you’re rping multiple character but only finding inspiration to post for one and feeling a brain freeze on your other characters. 😐

i loathe when people say shit just to say it. what i mean is like, when someone inserts certain details about their character that not only serve no purpose, but also go against the logic of the setting. it pisses me off when they try to wave it away like "oh well, it's just fiction, no biggie," ??? Huh??? especially considering that it was realistic historical fiction. and then this person literally just said "well i'm not changing my character to fit the narrative" 😭😭 literally what the fuck does that mean? what else would you base your character on if not the story and setting? but this person generally had very poor plotting skills, so i'd lost interest anyway, it's just the actual discussion that baffled me.

and i'm not saying that we need to be writing a best selling novel or anything, but... try to make a little sense? you don't have to give me literary gold, all i ask for is relevance and logic.

i loathe when people say shit just to say it. what i mean is like, when someone inserts certain details about their character that not only serve no purpose, but also go against the logic of the setting. it pisses me off when they try to wave it away like "oh well, it's just fiction, no biggie," ??? Huh??? especially considering that it was realistic historical fiction. and then this person literally just said "well i'm not changing my character to fit the narrative" 😭😭 literally what the fuck does that mean? what else would you base your character on if not the story and setting? but this person generally had very poor plotting skills, so i'd lost interest anyway, it's just the actual discussion that baffled me.

and i'm not saying that we need to be writing a best selling novel or anything, but... try to make a little sense? you don't have to give me literary gold, all i ask for is relevance and logic.
.... Wat.

The narrative is one of the only things you change your character for. Probably the biggest. Your character fitting the setting and narrative is... Kinda the whole point of having a setting and narrative?

What's even the point of using this setting if you're not going to respect it? Use a different one if you want that aspect of the character to stay so badly.

my brain hurts whenever people get surprised that i talk like a dummy ooc and it puts them off whenever we're trying to talk about plot and roleplay

i get it, first impressions are important, but i have a signature clarifying how long i've been rping, i have active threads of which i do rp that anyone can look at within any given time, AND i have an entire writing sample in my damn profile; at least admit when our writing styles won't fit, and don't just say "uh you talk grammatically incorrect on Discord"

i have an equal problem with people who jump to conclusions about potential character dynamic; i get comments from people that "mm i dont know if this character dynamic will work" or "i dont think these characters will bounce off each other"

and sometimes, the personality hasn't even been set in stone yet! if you're having a problem with establishing a character dynamic when all you've done is list off the achievements in your damn character's resume, that's not an issue inherent within the characters, that's just one of us being a bad/lazy writer! at least try to talk about personality before you automatically assume the authenticity of a relationship, right?

and even then, that means i still have reason to doubt the person's quality as a writer; i dont just spin up a character because i have a craving, i spin up a character because i have a craving and theyre supposed to serve a purpose! i have to assume people just strap on labels and stereotypes on a character right away and use that as their baseline to explain why a relationship wont work

makes me wanna curl up and die

When you decide to search new rp searches and they mention characters you can play but they want a literate partner so you have to accept that it will never work out </3

When it seemed like you and your partner were vibing, until you see they left the conversation without a word. Dude, what did I do? 🥴 All I said was should we exchange character information before we plot further. I’m too old for this.

When it seemed like you and your partner were vibing, until you see they left the conversation without a word. Dude, what did I do? 🥴 All I said was should we exchange character information before we plot further. I’m too old for this.
It's definitely not anything you did. That partner sounds like a complete red flag. I know it sucks and I'm sorry you had to go through that. If someone leaves a convo just because you asked for some character info, that's probably the tip of the iceberg with future behavior.

Being forced to play a character I don't think I can write or don't feel comfortable playing or being forced to double up on two major characters while the partner just takes one character and refuses to double up. I'm not writing you fan fiction here, honey. I have no problem with doubling but we both have to agree to it and want to do it.

Happens all the time, sorry you had to deal with it. :/ Never fun.

Something I will say is check how long it’s been. Sometimes I delete conversations to fill up space in my inbox. Especially if the person hasn’t replied in a while. So it’s always worth a check in - “hey you doing okay?”

okay im coming back FUMING, because I was thinking about this and ahhhh
So, we both have pretty antagonistic characters right? Dudes that like to poke fun tease and bully, wonderful. Now in order to insult somebody in real life, you either use what you know about them, or common insecurities that could apply to them, or- and this is most common, their appearance.
In a rp though, you aren’t actually seeing the other character, and as far as face claims go you only get the face, and its some hot model anyways. With art it’s easier, but again the whole body might not be drawn.

So we’re relying on text descriptions. I make sure to show fullbody art and describe before hand, and the other person gives the bare minimum. This is fine. Like actually okay, until my character is trying to insult theirs.

Basically what happens is their character gets so much more material and better insults while my dude looks like a lil bitch mf who can’t get anything better than vague insults. When my guy usually is quick and spiteful

hes just forced to be less and ahhhh
its not really their fault? Im not mad at other person I just, hrggh
its happened twice and both times just turned me off so bad. Because then the oc starts treating mine like he’s inferior but not even in a fun way, and they set up scenarios assuming him to be such and I just

jeez

okay im coming back FUMING, because I was thinking about this and ahhhh
So, we both have pretty antagonistic characters right? Dudes that like to poke fun tease and bully, wonderful. Now in order to insult somebody in real life, you either use what you know about them, or common insecurities that could apply to them, or- and this is most common, their appearance.
In a rp though, you aren’t actually seeing the other character, and as far as face claims go you only get the face, and its some hot model anyways. With art it’s easier, but again the whole body might not be drawn.

So we’re relying on text descriptions. I make sure to show fullbody art and describe before hand, and the other person gives the bare minimum. This is fine. Like actually okay, until my character is trying to insult theirs.

Basically what happens is their character gets so much more material and better insults while my dude looks like a lil bitch mf who can’t get anything better than vague insults. When my guy usually is quick and spiteful

hes just forced to be less and ahhhh
its not really their fault? Im not mad at other person I just, hrggh
its happened twice and both times just turned me off so bad. Because then the oc starts treating mine like he’s inferior but not even in a fun way, and they set up scenarios assuming him to be such and I just

jeez
Maybe ya'll should dial it back some....? Seems like the whole antagonistic versus antagonistic thing might be doing you more harm than good?

Maybe ya'll should dial it back some....? Seems like the whole antagonistic versus antagonistic thing might be doing you more harm than good?
Antagonistic might not be the right word.
Like ive had this dynamic and it was super fun, my character is the kind of guy who loves to fight, loves to make fun of anything, and at the same time absolutely loves being made fun of himself. Like if you can get a really good comeback and make him laugh. He just absolutely craves it. He’ll sit there for 30 minutes straight just telling yo momma jokes back to back and absolutely fall in love(not literally) with the other character because, that’s just how he rolls

i just cant stand where the playing ground ain’t equal. Either my character is just mercilessly beating down verbally on someone who cant or wont defend themselves or vice versa. Mont(my character) himself doesn’t like it. he wants a back and forth

and ig thats what bugs me so hard. when the ither person tries to force or establishes their character as better instead of two near equals brawling and having a good time

Too much plotting, too little execution.

Case in point: any forum RPs with OOC Discord servers. As far as I've seen, the OOC servers tend to have a plotting channel for, well, plotting. While I'm cool with people plotting stuff with their characters, I rarely do the plotting myself because I tend to get easily drained when it comes to the execution when I do plot with others. That's why I'd rather play as the RP goes to keep things interesting (to me, at least).

People who use filters in their thread they don’t use. So like if you have the Historical filter in your search thread but you don’t actually have any historical plots you want to do.

It drives me nuts cuz I am trying to find partners and I will get to a thread and the person isn’t interesting in the things they filtered their search with.

Too much plotting, too little execution.

Case in point: any forum RPs with OOC Discord servers. As far as I've seen, the OOC servers tend to have a plotting channel for, well, plotting. While I'm cool with people plotting stuff with their characters, I rarely do the plotting myself because I tend to get easily drained when it comes to the execution when I do plot with others. That's why I'd rather play as the RP goes to keep things interesting (to me, at least).
This is honestly a huge reason why a lot of RP's die before they even start. Burn out is very real.

This is honestly a huge reason why a lot of RP's die before they even start. Burn out is very real.
Agree. I like plotting to a certain degree. For example getting a good starting point but afterwards I enjoy playing everything out over the roleplay. It's no fun plotting out the entire roleplay because then who wants to write it?

Agree. I like plotting to a certain degree. For example getting a good starting point but afterwards I enjoy playing everything out over the roleplay. It's no fun plotting out the entire roleplay because then who wants to write it?
As long as I have the basic premise down I'm good to go. So many of my RP's have turned in directions I never expected upon starting. The unpredictability is partially what makes storytelling fun for me.

I do a lot of historical roleplays and it’s like pulling teeth sometimes. Like I don’t need you to be an expert but basic fashion of XX time period isn’t even hard to Google.

Or I will get people who maybe read a book once trying to do a fandom roleplay. So you have to go through all the world building to even explain what your plot is.

Like I don’t want to be that person who is like “pre knowledge of blah is needed” but man is it exhausting sometimes having to explain everything so it makes sense.

Pregnancy is sort of ify. It should be more of an epilogue type of thing after characters live happily ever/never/whatever after, the END. Don't try to force that on me for my character well before. Or at all. No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back