Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pregnancy is sort of ify. It should be more of an epilogue type of thing after characters live happily ever/never/whatever after, the END. Don't try to force that on me for my character well before. Or at all. No.
Agreed. Real life pregnancy is no fun -- why shove it to fiction?

I'm sorry I have no idea what that is so I'm afraid I don't get the joke or what you're getting at. 😅
it's not a joke. an art bash is when you get the artwork of (random artist that has published work to the internet or other public domain) and then modify it to better suit your needs. I've art-bashed a ton of pics I find in order to better suit them to my faceclaims. So if a near-perfect faceclaim has some little detail that makes it innapropriate, it's a mere art-bash away from being corrected to your needs

it's not a joke. an art bash is when you get the artwork of (random artist that has published work to the internet or other public domain) and then modify it to better suit your needs. I've art-bashed a ton of pics I find in order to better suit them to my faceclaims. So if a near-perfect faceclaim has some little detail that makes it innapropriate, it's a mere art-bash away from being corrected to your needs
Well that's what why I also added the "I don't know what you're getting at" in case it wasn't a joke because again I didn't know what art bash was.

Probably actually being able to get it done? It's like I know how to get to the other side of the mountain, but I need to actually be able to get to the other side of the mountain. At least that's what I think 🤔
resources! I'm sure resources constitute parts of the other half of the battle in some way. SO here's a few free resources if you do indeed wish to artbash.
look into:

Krita and ipiccy.

There is absolutely no monetary obligation on the users end, and they are both decent art programs that you can use to modify internet images.

Having my character simply O V E R L O O K E D during interaction in a post for no apparent reason at all. It's the most awkward and embarrassing thing ever.

Having my character simply O V E R L O O K E D during interaction in a post for no apparent reason at all. It's the most awkward and embarrassing thing ever.
Happened recent for me i dont know if it was accident or purpose

I'm just barely coming back from a 5 month hiatus, and I'm already feeling rather uninspired toward roleplay. I had even gone through the trouble of presenting a group RP of my own. But as usual, it hasnt really gotten enough interest to get off the ground. and to be honest, I'm bleeding motivation to do it anymore. I've expressed some interest in like two other RPs that I saw advertised, but the more I sit on those, I'm kinda not wanting to go through the process of the CS either.

Why is my motivation so fickle?!

I'm just barely coming back from a 5 month hiatus, and I'm already feeling rather uninspired toward roleplay. I had even gone through the trouble of presenting a group RP of my own. But as usual, it hasnt really gotten enough interest to get off the ground. and to be honest, I'm bleeding motivation to do it anymore. I've expressed some interest in like two other RPs that I saw advertised, but the more I sit on those, I'm kinda not wanting to go through the process of the CS either.

Instant gratification?

Which I can and possibly will rant on this at some point because it's the one thing that hampers my motivation, only to be negated by my stubbornness in seeing my shit through. :'D

Sometimes groups do slow down but thats ok, if you keep working hard to advertise it and keep it alive the people will come

What have you done before to get you motivated to write or create a group roleplay of your own?

What have you done before to get you motivated to write or create a group roleplay of your own?
For starters, I really dont like to GM. I only consider it every blue moon because I do not ever see anyone hosting ideas that really appeal to me. But the notion of having to lead along the other players in a story is not really that enticing. It's more out of desperation to see an idea to fruition. But I dont actually like GMing.

That being said, my motivation comes from having an idea fresh and exciting in my head, and being abe to get it quickly moving. I myself am patient in that I do not have the desire to hurry everyone up in their creative processes to get their characters out immediately. But my muse is anither story. If my idea doesnt get some movement in a day or two, my interests in carrying it through begins to wane substantially. After a week, it's petty much dead. And since I only really have an interest in Group RP, trying to get everyone up and ready in under a week is pretty much impossible. I dont expect them to, and i dont push them to. Because I know that is rude and inconsiderate. I dont want half-hearted entries or characters, so I feel it is perfectly reasonable to allow people the time they need so that they can make a good character. BUT my motivation is not as patient as my logic.

I know this sounds very contradictory, but thats the fight I always have with my creativity

Instant gratification?

Which I can and possibly will rant on this at some point because it's the one thing that hampers my motivation, only to be negated by my stubbornness in seeing my shit through. :'D
what do you mean?

what do you mean?

It is what you described earlier in response to Innovindil. Instant gratification I use as a broad term (and not in any way derogatory) to mean "if something isn't done quick enough, the motivation in doing it lessens" or motivation wanes because the idea doesn't pick up as quickly and you are less likely to see it through because you don't have the want to continue it (or, from what it seems, the ability to).

Which I understand. XD

It is what you described earlier in response to Innovindil. Instant gratification I use as a broad term (and not in any way derogatory) to mean "if something isn't done quick enough, the motivation in doing it lessens" or motivation wanes because the idea doesn't pick up as quickly and you are less likely to see it through because you don't have the want to continue it (or, from what it seems, the ability to).

Which I understand. XD
ah, ok. so yeah, pretty much that. Like, I know that I should be patient. And I extend that because it's only fair and realistic to not expect everyone to just jump on board with great characters rarin' ta go. But my motivation is like, "it's been two days, are we doing this or not?"

I feel like I just constantly set myself up to fail

Sometimes I find it inspiring to watch/read/play something that somehow contributes towards whatever muse is taking up residence in my headspace. I guess because some of my muses are created this way, that it also helps me to keep them alive for longer. My favorite part of creating characters is focus on their personalities. I want to develop their motivations, ideals, limits, etc. So whenever I find interesting characters, (be it in a movie, video game, or something else) then it gets me excited because while I am watching I like to think about what's motivating those characters and there's usually small moments that stick out to me and make me want to write about something similar so that I can expand on that scene. For example, I love Breaking Bad. I find the unique camera angles and filming techniques to be refreshing, because whenever I watch it, I see a small detail that makes me go 'I like the way they filmed that' and it just adds some positive creativity to my day. Then, when I'm struggling to write something, I remember that I can always start with a small thing in a scene and progress from there.

I guess what I'm trying to say, if you're finding it hard to find some internal motivation to help, try finding something outside to help. Find something that you do want to write about or break it up a bit when the same stuff isn't working. Favorite movie seeming a little lackluster? Maybe watch something that you hate and start thinking on what they should have done better. Staring at a computer screen till you can barely read anything? Try sketching out your ideas or writing on a piece of paper instead (or maybe try speech to text). Struggling to write a new character? Try revamping an old one or trying an archetype you've never tried before.

- Making playlists, Pinterest boards, and bits of character building trivia like figuring out small details that you don't really need but are fun to make anyways.

- Writing small scenes for your characters to practice writing them and pass the time.

- This one is probably the most difficult, but I've found that my overall patience and enjoyment towards RP increases a lot if there are some familiar players in the group. I think I get burned out trying to make new connections with people, so having even just one player that I know I get along with in a group takes so much stress away. Also, it's nice to occasionally reach out to players that I've become friends with in the past just to say hello and catch up a bit every now and then.

- Another one I am going to suggest is, try using a character more than once. I also get burned out from making a new character for every RP, because a lot of them never got off the ground and so I never got to make use of all the time and effort spent making all these unique characters. I've taken to modifying some of my favorites to fit into similar settings for what they were originally made for. I find it a bit easier to keep the muse for a small collection of characters than trying to find many new muses, especially if there would have been overlap with past OCs anyways.

- Don't limit yourself to making perfect posts 100% of the time. This is something that I am currently trying out. I have a very hard time actually posting things, so I'm focusing on just getting words on the page and sharing ideas. I know that this post I've just made isn't perfect, but I still enjoyed making it. (Sometimes you have to let the word vomit out and clean up the mess later).

- Try something challenging. I love the show Ink Masters. I've watched a lot of it and one thing that I noticed was that sometimes the best tattoos an artist would make during their time on the show were for styles they had never tried before and some of their worst tattoos involved being given challenges that fell into their comfort zones. So maybe try a style of RP that's completely new to you and see how that goes (like nation building or Dice if you've never tried those) . Even if you hate it, you might end up with a sense of renewed love for the old and familiar style.

Sometimes I find it inspiring to watch/read/play something that somehow contributes towards whatever muse is taking up residence in my headspace. I guess because some of my muses are created this way, that it also helps me to keep them alive for longer. My favorite part of creating characters is focus on their personalities. I want to develop their motivations, ideals, limits, etc. So whenever I find interesting characters, (be it in a movie, video game, or something else) then it gets me excited because while I am watching I like to think about what's motivating those characters and there's usually small moments that stick out to me and make me want to write about something similar so that I can expand on that scene. For example, I love Breaking Bad. I find the unique camera angles and filming techniques to be refreshing, because whenever I watch it, I see a small detail that makes me go 'I like the way they filmed that' and it just adds some positive creativity to my day. Then, when I'm struggling to write something, I remember that I can always start with a small thing in a scene and progress from there.

I guess what I'm trying to say, if you're finding it hard to find some internal motivation to help, try finding something outside to help. Find something that you do want to write about or break it up a bit when the same stuff isn't working. Favorite movie seeming a little lackluster? Maybe watch something that you hate and start thinking on what they should have done better. Staring at a computer screen till you can barely read anything? Try sketching out your ideas or writing on a piece of paper instead (or maybe try speech to text). Struggling to write a new character? Try revamping an old one or trying an archetype you've never tried before.
Funny you should bring that up, as I've just had a hard time with interests in general. As I have outlined in THIS topic.

- Making playlists, Pinterest boards, and bits of character building trivia like figuring out small details that you don't really need but are fun to make anyways.

- Writing small scenes for your characters to practice writing them and pass the time.

- This one is probably the most difficult, but I've found that my overall patience and enjoyment towards RP increases a lot if there are some familiar players in the group. I think I get burned out trying to make new connections with people, so having even just one player that I know I get along with in a group takes so much stress away. Also, it's nice to occasionally reach out to players that I've become friends with in the past just to say hello and catch up a bit every now and then.

- Another one I am going to suggest is, try using a character more than once. I also get burned out from making a new character for every RP, because a lot of them never got off the ground and so I never got to make use of all the time and effort spent making all these unique characters. I've taken to modifying some of my favorites to fit into similar settings for what they were originally made for. I find it a bit easier to keep the muse for a small collection of characters than trying to find many new muses, especially if there would have been overlap with past OCs anyways.
That last one actually brings me more problems than help when it comes to integrating into RPs. I think I had made a topic about that a long time ago too. I actually hate having to come up with brand new characters all the time, and try to re-write old characters a little to fit into a new setting. But people tell me that is a bad move because I'm trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I have a large cache of characters from old/failed RPs, and I would love to use them in something, but it never works out that way

- Don't limit yourself to making perfect posts 100% of the time. This is something that I am currently trying out. I have a very hard time actually posting things, so I'm focusing on just getting words on the page and sharing ideas. I know that this post I've just made isn't perfect, but I still enjoyed making it. (Sometimes you have to let the word vomit out and clean up the mess later).

- Try something challenging. I love the show Ink Masters. I've watched a lot of it and one thing that I noticed was that sometimes the best tattoos an artist would make during their time on the show were for styles they had never tried before and some of their worst tattoos involved being given challenges that fell into their comfort zones. So maybe try a style of RP that's completely new to you and see how that goes (like nation building or Dice if you've never tried those) . Even if you hate it, you might end up with a sense of renewed love for the old and familiar style.
I hate dice stuff, I've tried it and find it limits my writing, and Ive done the nation building too. not my bag. I've pretty much delved into most genres of writing and RP that the community has to offer. I already know what I like and dont like. I just want to get the stuff I DO like going before my motivation for it dies off again.

For starters, I really dont like to GM. I only consider it every blue moon because I do not ever see anyone hosting ideas that really appeal to me. But the notion of having to lead along the other players in a story is not really that enticing. It's more out of desperation to see an idea to fruition. But I dont actually like GMing.

That being said, my motivation comes from having an idea fresh and exciting in my head, and being abe to get it quickly moving. I myself am patient in that I do not have the desire to hurry everyone up in their creative processes to get their characters out immediately. But my muse is anither story. If my idea doesnt get some movement in a day or two, my interests in carrying it through begins to wane substantially. After a week, it's petty much dead. And since I only really have an interest in Group RP, trying to get everyone up and ready in under a week is pretty much impossible. I dont expect them to, and i dont push them to. Because I know that is rude and inconsiderate. I dont want half-hearted entries or characters, so I feel it is perfectly reasonable to allow people the time they need so that they can make a good character. BUT my motivation is not as patient as my logic.

I know this sounds very contradictory, but thats the fight I always have with my creativity
I understand that completely. When you have a really great idea you want it to come to fruition and when it doesn't it's gone. Even though you are coming back from a break it does sound like you may need a bit of a longer one at least to try to get your motivation as well as interests(saw your other topic) back to where you want them to be. I think if some of the same stuff isn't working for you might have try something different and new even if you don't want to broaden your horizons. People can give you ideas but in the end you are going to have to figure out what you need and want to do.
Maybe just read. Something you normally wouldn't. Venture out of what your usual go to genres are in roleplay. Or, you most definitely are, write on your own. Put the ideas to a format, create characters. There's also plenty of movies to watch to get the gears going.

Me: Writes a setting that'll come in handy much, much later into the roleplay.

Them: Ignores it.

Me: "...Really?"​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back