Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to solve this by agreeing with the fighting partner first in OOC? So you two already have an idea of who should get hit and when.
Yes, communication does help solve some of the issues with this.

But it hinges on the person actually being willing to communicate and it doesn't help in group roleplays where a fight can still slow down the pacing even if you aren't a part of it.

Personally, I think the better solution is just to have the GM take a more active role rather than just throwing up some blanket ban.

So this one person I was trying to roleplay with, had a post up for roleplaying so I offered to roleplay and so we discussed everything, and then they just leave before we can even get started the next day. This happened twice with the same person so I doubt I'm gonna try to roleplay with them again. I understand that they may have stuff going on, but this is the second time and they only keep amino for like a day or less. I don't mind if someone wants to roleplay, but there's no sense in bringing someone else's hopes up only for them to be disappointed again. Don't offer to roleplay or look for a roleplay unless you truly believe you're gonna stay for a long time.

as of right now, im frustrated because i have two threads to write for, but don't have the energy to write for them (thanks depression). and yet despite this my brain just keeps offering new ideas/aus like?? brain please we can't start something new when we can't even write for our current threads smh

as of right now, im frustrated because i have two threads to write for, but don't have the energy to write for them (thanks depression). and yet despite this my brain just keeps offering new ideas/aus like?? brain please we can't start something new when we can't even write for our current threads smh
honestly me too

I’m frustrated there’s character I had in mind to play but realized can’t do him justice in rp.

no cause i especially hate this when it's something that their character shouldn't even know.. like, let's say my character is resentful toward them for something, and they're thinking that to themselves but the person, in their response, has their character's thoughts responding to my character's thoughts. i don't know if this makes sense, but it annoys me so much lmao

Hoyo!

If your description of the other character responding to your character's inner thoughts is accurate, then the other player is guilty of an offense called Meta Gaming which is where they share their meta (real world) knowledge with their character which is knowledge they otherwise should not possess.

Back in my day (cause I'm old), this was an instantly ban-worthy offense in most RP's that I participated in. I'm pretty sure the views on this one have relaxed since back then, but all the same this is a highly offensive method of role-playing that really should be cracked down on by the GM the moment it arises. Even if it seems a slight slip up, it can lead to massive problems later on.

My advice if you see this again is to contact both the player who did it first and ask them to retract any statements made in the post regarding knowing what your character is thinking, and if they do not respect your request go directly to the GM and point out that this person's character is not psychic and would have no way of knowing your character's inner thoughts and the player refused to fix the problem on their own.

If the GM doesn't help you, leave the RP. No questions asked. Just leave.

It's never worth the personal trouble and disappointment to force yourself to participate in an RP where this kind of offensive play style is left free to roam at will by a lackadaisical GM.

Cheers!

~ GojiBean

Hoyo!

If your description of the other character responding to your character's inner thoughts is accurate, then the other player is guilty of an offense called Meta Gaming which is where they share their meta (real world) knowledge with their character which is knowledge they otherwise should not possess.

Back in my day (cause I'm old), this was an instantly ban-worthy offense in most RP's that I participated in. I'm pretty sure the views on this one have relaxed since back then, but all the same this is a highly offensive method of role-playing that really should be cracked down on by the GM the moment it arises. Even if it seems a slight slip up, it can lead to massive problems later on.

My advice if you see this again is to contact both the player who did it first and ask them to retract any statements made in the post regarding knowing what your character is thinking, and if they do not respect your request go directly to the GM and point out that this person's character is not psychic and would have no way of knowing your character's inner thoughts and the player refused to fix the problem on their own.

If the GM doesn't help you, leave the RP. No questions asked. Just leave.

It's never worth the personal trouble and disappointment to force yourself to participate in an RP where this kind of offensive play style is left free to roam at will by a lackadaisical GM.

Cheers!

~ GojiBean
that's useful advice, but i don't do group rps or anything like that, so there is no gm. these are in the form of 1x1 rps, at which point i normally just request correction or leave, depending on the circumstances.

forcing interactions. like. literally having a character show up out of nowhere while others are interacting. even if it's a casual/crack rp, it's still incredibly annoying. 💀

forcing interactions. like. literally having a character show up out of nowhere while others are interacting. even if it's a casual/crack rp, it's still incredibly annoying. 💀
especially when the reason the interaction is happening because we asked in chat earlier so we're having a rp we agreed to, and they just join without even reading whats happening

So this one person I was trying to roleplay with, had a post up for roleplaying so I offered to roleplay and so we discussed everything, and then they just leave before we can even get started the next day. This happened twice with the same person so I doubt I'm gonna try to roleplay with them again. I understand that they may have stuff going on, but this is the second time and they only keep amino for like a day or less. I don't mind if someone wants to roleplay, but there's no sense in bringing someone else's hopes up only for them to be disappointed again. Don't offer to roleplay or look for a roleplay unless you truly believe you're gonna stay for a long time.
Happens to me a lot. I'll like get really into plotting with someone, and we will have something really cool planned, and right before we get started- BOOM, they leave and ghost me. It sucks, so I totally understand how you feel. It's quite annoying and disheartening.

Adding to this, people who insert themselves into your backstory to force a relationship of some sort without asking.

i am here to complain once again! it annoys me when people expect you to be adaptable and "flexible" without wanting to compromise at all. this girl yesterday was like, complaining because she felt like i was 'attacking' her just because i said that over-explaining some characters' backstories was getting rid of the aspects that made them interesting and creepy in the first place. then she was like:
[removed image bc i don't wanna seem like i'm promoting harassment, but you can still get the idea of what she said without the image!]
so weird?? to compare me to someone who i don't know in that context? the ss might seem a little out of context, but it was giving very much Guilt Tripping vibes. "oh but i spent so much time perfecting this setting, how dare you want to add some of your own elements ☹️" when it's not like they were her characters to begin with.
also just being like "i want to be straightforward blah blah blah" and then acting hurt and whatever when i say — very mildly, might i add — that i'm not feeling certain aspects and that i feel like the world building is being controlled too heavily by her side. "you have to be flexible with me but i'm not willing to compromise on any of your ideas," lololol

Last edited:
sevyn sevyn While I don't disagree with your point, you may want you take that post down because it shows her Discord tag and can be seen as Harassment. If you must post the evidence then crop or black their name out next time.

Last edited:
sevyn sevyn While I don't disagree with your point, you may want you take that post down because it shows her Discord tag and can be seen as Harassment. If you must post the evidence then crop or black their name out next time.
oh shit ur right, i didn't think of it like that

when you join an rp, get super invested, take time to fill in a coded character sheet, even help with a bit of worldbuilding, and get kicked out for a requirement that wasn’t in the frickle-fracking interest check.

I am not letting this go. Ever.

When someone just brings characters in just to harass people or they do things they're not supposed to be ABLE to do. This one character came out of nowhere, harassed some of our characters, and is now "messaging" in the group chat that is for people who get invited in character. Which is everyone who is accepted into the rp.

This character wasn't accepted, they just threw their character in.

When someone shows up to harass others and they say "No my character has been here for a month, he was living with [insert another character]" without permission. No, your character was NOT living with my character.

Just as a tip you can block them and delete their posts. It’s what I used to do as a GM when someone wanted to try to hijack my threads. I just blocked them to prevent them from posting further AND deleted all posts they made previously.

Now if you aren’t a GM there isn’t much more you can do other then block and ignore.

But as the GM you can delete spam posts that have no relevance to your story.

Honestly, the lack of diversity in character descriptions and face claims can be pretty upsetting sometimes. I’ve been a member for a very very long time now and for as long as I remember I’d go to argue that a solid 90% of all characters I’ve interacted were all white, thin, cisgendered characters.

I’ll give credit where credit is do wherein I’ve role played with characters who are a vast variety of sexualities, and that I’d argue that the majority of roleplayers are likely white players and therefore may feel uncomfortable playing as characters of color. However what I do see a lot of is fetishization of eastern Asian characters/face claims.

It’s honestly just a minor pet peeve of mine and something I’ve grown increasingly aware of during my time here. I hope to encourage other roleplayers of color to be aware and to encourage white role players to take risks and maybe explore non white face claims as well as face claims who are plus sized or trans/non binary!

Honestly, the lack of diversity in character descriptions and face claims can be pretty upsetting sometimes. I’ve been a member for a very very long time now and for as long as I remember I’d go to argue that a solid 90% of all characters I’ve interacted were all white, thin, cisgendered characters.

I’ll give credit where credit is do wherein I’ve role played with characters who are a vast variety of sexualities, and that I’d argue that the majority of roleplayers are likely white players and therefore may feel uncomfortable playing as characters of color. However what I do see a lot of is fetishization of eastern Asian characters/face claims.

It’s honestly just a minor pet peeve of mine and something I’ve grown increasingly aware of during my time here. I hope to encourage other roleplayers of color to be aware and to encourage white role players to take risks and maybe explore non white face claims as well as face claims who are plus sized or trans/non binary!
This also goes for able bodied characters lol

I can say that I am definitely guilty of this, as far as most of my characters being white and cisgender. I try to make characters diverse in their own right, and I try to explore all faceclaim options that may fit, but it seems that the internet has a surplus of white actors, models, and musicians who show up quite frequently.

Tbh, it is pretty annoying to look back at all my characters and see a hundred pasty white dudes staring back at me.

I can say that I am definitely guilty of this, as far as most of my characters being white and cisgender. I try to make characters diverse in their own right, and I try to explore all faceclaim options that may fit, but it seems that the internet has a surplus of white actors, models, and musicians who show up quite frequently.

Tbh, it is pretty annoying to look back at all my characters and see a hundred pasty white dudes staring back at me.
No totally. I too am totally guilty of it, and I’m not even white haha. I think it’s really easy to fall in the trap of picking white face claims because we typically think of archetypes/specifically personality traits when thinking of characters. And since the media we consume so heavily focuses on white, cis, able bodied actors and actresses that it’s super easy to find one that fits your characters personality.

It doesn’t help that to find a face claim of any non white descent that you have to often times actively search for one. My character for the newest role play i’m in took like two full hours to come up with, and it wasn’t for a lack of trying.

No totally. I too am totally guilty of it, and I’m not even white haha. I think it’s really easy to fall in the trap of picking white face claims because we typically think of archetypes/specifically personality traits when thinking of characters. And since the media we consume so heavily focuses on white, cis, able bodied actors and actresses that it’s super easy to find one that fits your characters personality.

It doesn’t help that to find a face claim of any non white descent that you have to often times actively search for one. My character for the newest role play i’m in took like two full hours to come up with, and it wasn’t for a lack of trying.
It is a bit of a struggle, and often times you end up with a search that’s four or five tabs long. Just for example, if you look up “dyed hair female face claims” (kinda specific, I know), the results are mostly white for miles, with a few poc mixed in (let’s say about 1 in every 6)

It’s not for lack of trying, it’s for lack of results in a search.

I've been working on diversifying the characters I write myself- even down to their age. (In the past, I often wrote as characters in their mid 20s - early 30s.) I think it can be difficult writing as characters you don't share a similar identify with because you just don't have the same experiences other demographics might. (ex. most cis gendered people can understand and empathize transgender experiences but will most likely never have those experiences directly.)

So I will just say this.

Not everyone who is physically different doesn’t share your lives experiences. That is a super common misconception people have.

I live in a small (racist) white town. But I would have more in common with the handful of people of color who grew up in the community then I would have with anyone from the big city or even from the smaller towns in the state.

People always discount region and environment when making characters.

Look lived experience is certainly helpful but it can also become a trap. I look to mental illness.

I know when my partner is writing mental illness from experienxe and when they used Wikipedia to research symptoms.

However I appreciate them taking mental health seriously far more then I need them to get details a hundred percent perfect.

It’s the same with diverse characters, it’s more important that you treat the character with dignity than you get every aspect right.

Just like there isn’t a reward for being the best minority IRL there isn’t a reward for most accurate portrayal of minority characters.

All anyone asks is that you do your best.

Also there are a fair number of tumblrs with characters of color. If anyone needs help I have a list I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back