Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess he just assumed he was going to win because like I hadn't really RP'd before but I liked to write stories and I wanted to try roleplay I mean I had role played before but they were like...I don't know if I want to call them little kid role plays? Like I did things like Sonic, Winx Club, Totally Spies Codename Kid Next Door, and Xiaolin Showdown which were never like that intense so I didn't really count it in the same category.
That's an actual mindset. XD Sadly. XD

Some people tend to think that new RPers means overly edgy, angsty characters or characters with hardly any skill or the RPers have little skill in execution when writing.

Obviously, you've been writing and doing other kinds of RPs, so you don't lack anything in that department. And even then, I doubt anybody is actually "bad" at doing any of those things, it's just that character selection seems to have a common trend among those just starting out because it's easier to jump off the deep end in terms of concepts of edgy or angsty material. There are other people with a much nicer mentor outlook on it though. Just some people assume that if you're new, your bad and your characters lack skill. Sucks. XD

Last edited:
Brain during work: I WANNA WRITE
Brain during free time: sips tea But do I really want to write. What does it mean to write. Write is... 5 hours spent on Youtube. Yes.

Huge pet peeve of mine is when your partner 'anticipates' your character's moves and basically ends up writing a move for your character so they can get a longer post/get to something they really wanted to do with their character but needed the prompt. And pretty much 80 to 90% of the time it is not what I would have written as a reaction in the slightest.

That just makes me go: Dude... I'd rather have a short response instead of my character being moved... or If you really wanna do XY-action, talk to be about it and let me see how I can help you reach a setting to do that rather than making my character do something that throws their whole behavior off in my head.

And pet peeve number two is someone that likes to be what I call story-served. I have had it a few times in the past and it drives me up the wall. People that write only reactions and do not move the story forward, so I have to do all the work. Their posts usually aren't bad or anything, they can even be quite lengthy. But I can't react to some character's introspection if it's in their mind only, I don't have any mindreaders?

Huge pet peeve of mine is when your partner 'anticipates' your character's moves and basically ends up writing a move for your character so they can get a longer post/get to something they really wanted to do with their character but needed the prompt. And pretty much 80 to 90% of the time it is not what I would have written as a reaction in the slightest.

That just makes me go: Dude... I'd rather have a short response instead of my character being moved... or If you really wanna do XY-action, talk to be about it and let me see how I can help you reach a setting to do that rather than making my character do something that throws their whole behavior off in my head.

And pet peeve number two is someone that likes to be what I call story-served. I have had it a few times in the past and it drives me up the wall. People that write only reactions and do not move the story forward, so I have to do all the work. Their posts usually aren't bad or anything, they can even be quite lengthy. But I can't react to some character's introspection if it's in their mind only, I don't have any mindreaders?
On the first point I feel you on that one I literally have one partner that I allow to do that but that is only because that partner knows me well enough hy now to know generally what I would and would and would not do and it's not like they do it a lot and it's typically to save us time on something and I may have already been setting up for it anyway so they simply just followed through.

I get the second point too but I will defend that person only slightly as I have been in that position and it's not so much that I didn't want to contribute to the story or that I just wanted the story served to me it was more that I felt like my partner had something in mind and had something going on so I was afraid to accidentally mess it up for them so I just kind if reacted and tried to slip something in of my own if I thought it fit and wouldn't mess anything up but sometimes I just didn't know if it was a good idea so I left it alone.

On the first point I feel you on that one I literally have one partner that I allow to do that but that is only because that partner knows me well enough hy now to know generally what I would and would and would not do and it's not like they do it a lot and it's typically to save us time on something and I may have already been setting up for it anyway so they simply just followed through.

I get the second point too but I will defend that person only slightly as I have been in that position and it's not so much that I didn't want to contribute to the story or that I just wanted the story served to me it was more that I felt like my partner had something in mind and had something going on so I was afraid to accidentally mess it up for them so I just kind if reacted and tried to slip something in of my own if I thought it fit and wouldn't mess anything up but sometimes I just didn't know if it was a good idea so I left it alone.
Ah yes, if your partner really knows you that well it is chill or if they drop in ooc and be like 'hey do you mind if I...' that is something I have done myself as well. I am also fine if it happens once and I can just tell them that the guess was wrong and then we laugh and it's corrected without a fuss. But I have had one partner in the past that kept doing regularly and always with (re)actions I would never have used.

Second I may not have elaborated enough. Sometimes it is completely fine, especially if I am the one driving a plot on purpose and giving them time to react so I can adjust where it's going. I sometimes do little 'surprise' sub-plots where I lead my partner around to discover stuff as a treat and I don't expect any driving. But it annoys me if that's what they do 75% and more.

As usual with my posts here it doesn't make me angry, it's just a slightly weird thing that happens often:
People ignoring the fact that words have meanings. I mean sure, we all misunderstand something every now and then, but jeez, on a site for people who obviously love reading and writing it's surprising to see the extent sometimes. I'm already used to terms such as "literate" having absolutely no agreed-upon meaning, I've even seen "multi-para" implied to mean... um... nothing at all, and lately I've been seeing a lot of "Ghost-friendly. Just let me know!"... It's not ghosting if you let the person know, but ok!

As usual with my posts here it doesn't make me angry, it's just a slightly weird thing that happens often:
People ignoring the fact that words have meanings. I mean sure, we all misunderstand something every now and then, but jeez, on a site for people who obviously love reading and writing it's surprising to see the extent sometimes. I'm already used to terms such as "literate" having absolutely no agreed-upon meaning, I've even seen "multi-para" implied to mean... um... nothing at all, and lately I've been seeing a lot of "Ghost-friendly. Just let me know!"... It's not ghosting if you let the person know, but ok!

So I think your problem stems from the fact that RPN doesn’t have a glossary of terms. They did at least have a literary system (used to be part of the prefix system) when I first started. It was detailed, casual, simple.

They wrote out what each term meant and then you could pick which kind of roleplay you wanted to search for.

They never clearly defined ghosting though which I think where your problem comes in. Without a site wide glossary it really is up to each individual person to define it as they see fit.

My understanding is “ghosting” essentially boils down to two main definitions.

1. You are still on site but not responding to partners.

2. You are off site without prior warning.

I am assuming the “ghost friendly” people are talking about number two. Since that usually means you have like COvId or your grandma died. And only assholes care about that. But they do want you to let them know if you want to leave (number 1) which they probably consider a common courtesy not ghosting.

2. You are off site without prior warning.
Personally I don't count that as ghosting, I think ghosting is more personal in that the person continues to interact with other people they have a similar type of relationship with whilst willfully ignoring a specific person. When a friend goes on a week long hiking trip and doesn't come online at all it'd feel weird to claim they're "ghosting" everyone. That might just be how I interpret the word, but in any case I'd say it has to happen without warning to qualify as ghosting so that request still doesn't make sense.

1. You are still on site but not responding to partners.

2. You are off site without prior warning
1 Is what I call ghosting, and I have lovingly applied the name "poofing" to 2. Eventually the person in the second scenario would come back and say "sorry I poofed!"

Hyping up your own character by making an extravagant story instead of just RPing it and showing the depth the character is capable.

It's just cringey.

Hyping up your own character by making an extravagant story instead of just RPing it and showing the depth the character is capable.

It's just cringey.
Essentially wanting the feats but not wanting to put the work in. I only allowed thi type of stuff if we were doing a reboot/continuation of a previous RP there for the events of the previous story are apart of the lore but even then those feats were actually earned by those characters. Why does Max have the feat that blew up the moon you ask? Because Max blew up the freaking moon last time.

But seriously this did happen in one my old rps in that rp everyone had some sort of crazy feat or feats by the end before we rebooted 😆

If it was done that way, it would be perfectly acceptable. But otherwise, ugh. Way to toot your own horn.

A second pet peeve would be not being able to stick to whatever personality they gave a character. I know it's difficult, but some just change how their characters on the fly to fit whatever convenience they were going for.

oof OOC drama in rp is one of the worst things 😭 well, OOC drama in general is.... But it usually means the rp will not survive.

oof OOC drama in rp is one of the worst things 😭 well, OOC drama in general is.... But it usually means the rp will not survive.
Yeah I've literally had one of my RP's held hostage because of OOC drama. Basically, one of my players was tied up I a lot of plot lines and a lot of people's stories/interactions, he threw a host fit at one I the others players and essentially refused to reply unless A. That player apologized to him or B. That player was kicked out of the RP. Neither of which was going to happen because the player in question who was holding up the RP started the whole confrontation and I wasn't going to make someone apologize for defending themselves when they had done nothing wrong, not was going to kick them out. Basically, we came up with a scenario that left said player's characters fates up in the air, something I realize now was being too nice, but we needed to free everyone up from and if he decided to come to his senses he could come back, but if he didn't then his characters would be presumed dead. This didn't mean they were dead but it was good way to leave things in the air. I was then accused of trying to kill his characters off and he fought tooth and nail for his right to hold everyone else up.

I have three rp ideas I want to keep planning but I don’t know where I want to begin and I can’t make up my mind. 😩

havent heard from writers that been trying to plan with in awhile
Ik they get busy though just kind of feels lonely it be nice to hear ‘im intrested or how are you’

I have three rp ideas I want to keep planning but I don’t know where I want to begin and I can’t make up my mind. 😩

I find when I am having a hard time making up my mind I do RNG between the options. It’s a good way to force you to make a decision. Because usually you want the RNG to land on one particular idea (which is the one you should start with).

Very relatable problem, I've got quite a few ideas I'm playing around with but choosing one and then actually running that RP is just wildly daunting. No idea how people do it! Hope you work out what you're doing though!

Same! My discord is full of potential RPs that I never ended up starting. I still keep them in case I change my mind -_-

I hate making “word vomit” when I draft responses or character sheets cause it makes me feel like I’m not doing my best but it’s all part of the process sometimes. 😭

oy. comrade, i know what that's like.... and i know word vomit feels weird but like... draw inspiration from victor hugo. go off on random tangents. most of the time, they make the story better! and then, once you're done, trim out the bits on the sewer systems. that's the point of rping, to express yourself and have fun!

I'm back again to say: Group roleplays with set roles! I hate finding a roleplay with a super interesting concept, only to look at the roles and be completely uninspired. I don't want to play "the bully" or "the princess" and the GM has normally reserved the role I'm actually interested in (normally the most interesting role) for themselves. It's really restricting, I want to play my OCs without having to shoehorn them into a set role.

One thing is when everyone has good charterers in a group rp who have a good backstory and shit while my character is not eve fleshed out yet. I know this should not be a problem but is is annoying to see people gush about their character when you have not even fleshed out yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back