Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, so OCs - literally ORIGINAL characters/content are overused, but characters already invented by someone else are somehow not? Wow.
Right? Nevermind that canon characters are the OCs of the fandom's creators.

I just posted recently but got another thing annoying me today...

I approached someone for a rp, stating I only play OCs because I can't connect with canon characters the same way. They reply expressing interest in rping with me, but when I share my OCs they tell me OCs are overused.
Then why did you agree to rp with me???? I told you from the beginning I only use OCs!

If you don't want to rp against OCs, then don't start plotting with someone who's told you they only play OCs! That simple, my dude!
As someone who ONLY makes original characters for any setting (even fandom settings), I can't even fathom how someone could say that my specific OC is overused. I'm literally the only person using them, as they are MY characters. How tf are they overused?

Do they mean the concept of original characters? Are they tired of dealing with player made characters in lieu of canon? I mean, I dont understand. But at least that has some more sense to it. To me, OCs are the best (and only) way to go.

As someone who ONLY makes original characters for any setting (even fandom settings), I can't even fathom how someone could day that my specific OC is overused. I'm literally the only person using them, as they are MY characters. How tf are they overused?
I think it's just the concept that this specific person doesn't like OCs in general, like the concept of creating a character for yourself instead of the character usage being overused. They probably think that playing a character you made is overdone, and would prefer to use canon characters because then they don't have to learn another character and how it fits into the setting. XD

There could be a bunch of reasons why they prefer playing just canon over having OCs in the mix or playing just OCs. Probably a personal experience that turned sour so they only play canon. Which, I can see why considering there are quite a few groups of people who are rather.... cringy and powergamey when they make their OCs. I was one of them. XD

As someone who ONLY makes original characters for any setting (even fandom settings), I can't even fathom how someone could say that my specific OC is overused. I'm literally the only person using them, as they are MY characters. How tf are they overused?

Do they mean the concept of original characters? Are they tired of dealing with player made characters in lieu of canon? I mean, I dont understand. But at least that has some more sense to it. To me, OCs are the best (and only) way to go.
Yeah I'm pretty sure they mean using OCs instead of canon is overdone, but it's just so ridiculous. Not to mention the wording really left me feeling insulted. OCs are so important to the perks who create them, calling them overused without any consideration for the characters just feels like dismissing that importance.

I completely understand why since people don't like rping in fandoms against OCs. There's nothing wrong with only using canon characters and only interacting with other canon players. But it's bullshit to just dismiss OCs in general.

Yeah I mean, I tend to use the same two or three characters for all my RP’s. But I don’t understand why people would say it’s overused in that sense. They’ve likely never been in the same RP with me using that character, and I don’t just copy/paste, I change the character to fit with the plot and the setting of a particular RP. But maybe this is just a fandom thing, and considering I don’t do much fandom RP here I may be the wrong person to talk to about this.

Which, I can see why considering there are quite a few groups of people who are rather.... cringy and powergamey when they make their OCs. I was one of them. XD
That always is a risk when OCs are involved. I've seen my fair share of edgelord mary sues, and other cliche character dynamics that have faux weaknesses that really dont contribute to any kind of power balance.

But maybe this is just a fandom thing, and considering I don’t do much fandom RP here I may be the wrong person to talk to about this.
Tbh, I dont participate in a whole lot of fandoms. and the ones I do, cater greatly to OCs within them (Star Wars, WH40k, etc). But I guess a lot of fandoms (especially a lot of the anime series fandoms) with a specific cast tend to gather individuals that want to play them out and ship them and all that stuff (that doesnt interest me at all). I pretty much just use fandoms as a means to establish a familiar backdrop that the players can all understand and relate to, but still drop our OCs into.

Between people yelling at each other about which side would win more, which canon characters are better, and meeting an misogynist incel on Tiktok who could make WH40K stuff, it's a lot. XD But I have seen the same kinds of people in the proportionate amount for the size of the fandom. So yeah. xD it's uh... Yup. XD I always find those people too, and it sucks. Every fandom has its level of bullshitery, but I don't see WH40K as having a reputation for it. I just think the minority are just really loud and that's where the reputation comes from. :3
Honestly the assholes I've met in the 40k fandom weren't radical right-wingers or anything, they were just dicks who had weird ideas about writing. Anything about big strong men with guns seems to attract that kind of audience.
I'm also not a fan of how 40k's xenophobia leaked into segments of the sci-fi community as a general hatred and distrust of aliens even when it doesn't always apply to other settings.

I'm yet to join a group roleplay that has remained active for longer than a month and it's really frustrating, especially when you get really excited to get going just for the whole thing to die out.
Also when people rush you for character sheets when they know people would be busy. Someone genuinely pinged everyone on discord on Christmas eve to ask for everyone's character sheets, then dmed me to ask again. Being rushed really demotivates me.

i actually didn't realize this was a pet peeve of mine until i had a conversation with my girlfriend today but: people who are weirdly possessive over fictional characters.

as someone who almost exclusively writes canon x oc, it's something i encounter a lot and it doesn't really make me mad as much as it does sad. these people clearly have some sort of unhealthy attachment if they're getting verbally aggressive with me for saying the fictional character they like is 'cute' or 'hot' or what have you.

i do understand the concept of comfort characters, i even have some myself, but getting this hostile over a character that doesn't even exist is just kinda worrying to see.

I'm yet to join a group roleplay that has remained active for longer than a month and it's really frustrating, especially when you get really excited to get going just for the whole thing to die out.
I feel this. SO much. When I actually find a group premise I like (which isn't too common), I dive right into it. I start looking up image references, start planning how to make them part of the lore, etc. tbh, I'm usually one of the first ones to submit a CS even if im not the first one to show interest. And it really sucks when all that work and research and planning is for naught. It's one of the biggest reasons why I have so many characters that I've never really RPd with.

Also when people rush you for character sheets when they know people would be busy. Someone genuinely pinged everyone on discord on Christmas eve to ask for everyone's character sheets, then dmed me to ask again. Being rushed really demotivates me.
I'm kinda the opposite. I'm that interested player that is bugging about the CS because i wanna get that shit worked on and submitted asap. I hate waiting around for days and days on end with nothing but a show of interest from my end. Like, in my experience, when people take TOO long to get their character profiles done, it effects participation negatively. You can't let your interested players stagnate. You gotta give em something to do so that they feel like the RP is progressing to a start. Otherwise, those initial interests will go elsewhere in favor of an RP that IS getting their CS's filled out. And as a GM I (use to) always set at least a loose deadline of when all these things need to be done by.

I feel this. SO much. When I actually find a group premise I like (which isn't too common), I dive right into it. I start looking up image references, start planning how to make them part of the lore, etc. tbh, I'm usually one of the first ones to submit a CS even if im not the first one to show interest. And it really sucks when all that work and research and planning is for naught. It's one of the biggest reasons why I have so many characters that I've never really RPd with.
I'm usually one of the first to get mine done, too! Sometimes it starts and I've written a super long reply, only for nobody to reply to it and the roleplay to stagnate. I hate getting emotionally invested and doing all this planning and getting so excited, then the roleplay dying before it starts.

When a roleplay gets nowhere to the point that you have to double post. It especially sucks in a forum where double posting is normally not allowed.

And no, it's not even my first time. I got such experience several times already, in various RPs I was/am in. Made me wonder if everyone's running out of ideas at that point. 😔

When a roleplay gets nowhere to the point that you have to double post. It especially sucks in a forum where double posting is normally not allowed.

And no, it's not even my first time. I got such experience several times already, in various RPs I was/am in. Made me wonder if everyone's running out of ideas at that point. 😔

Are they groups? Or are you in charge of the storyline?

Because I find time skips and mini missions help with this. Depending on the plot this can be anything from :

- Characters must stop a kidnapping attempt
- Characters attend a field trip

I usually give like two week time periods to allow everyone a chance to post then automatically time skip to the next mini mission. It keeps the narrative moving forward and prevents you from having to wait around for someone to come up with new ideas.

** granted I make them before the roleplay starts but a good OOC can usually make them on the fly if need be. **

I find a good way of dealing with lack of replies is to engage people OOC. Making plans for the current scene as well as future ones can help reignite the excitement as well help spark inspiration for a response. It's also good for finding out if someone's struggling with the current scene, and if they are what can be done.

Are they groups? Or are you in charge of the storyline?
Groups, none of which I hosted. So it means I have to rely on the host to at least say something.
I find a good way of dealing with lack of replies is to engage people OOC. Making plans for the current scene as well as future ones can help reignite the excitement as well help spark inspiration for a response. It's also good for finding out if someone's struggling with the current scene, and if they are what can be done.
Been there, done that. I did nudge people in the OOC thread and sometimes even in the IC thread via on-the-spot OOC notes (it's quite common in the RPs I'm in btw). So yeah, since I'm not the host, I did as much as I could.

Peeve: When chat activity drops off radar as soon the actual RP begins. I find that a lot of chats are super active with plotting and just having fun and then this all stops when the RP begins. It makes me anxious, since I'm never sure what people are waiting for and I find that player interest immediately starts to deteriorate once the talking has stopped.

...Made me wonder if everyone's running out of ideas at that point. 😔
I've mentioned this somewhere on the site before in one of these discussion threads, but I actually DO think that a lot of the time people go into RPs very half-cocked. I feel like they just have these general appreciations for the notion of a story, but don't actually have a story. Or they just have the beginning of the setting, and havent thought the rest through. So after all the initial introduction bullshit is out of the way, people dont know what else to do. It actually takes a lot of time and effort to contrive and write a good story, and while the majority of RPers LOVE the idea of a good story, I feel like most dont have a clue (or dont have the drive) as to how to actually make one happen.

When plotting comes to a stand still. The other person makes it known that brainstorming must be done, which I have no issue with. The problem I have is offering up ideas of which I get a sentence back in return or just a yeah.
Well yeah, I'm done.

Someone just wasted my time responding to my 1x1 advert on another site. We brainstormed a plot, and then he dropped a bomb on me: he didn't like the picture I used for character reference. That alone isn't a problem, I can provide a detailed description instead. NO. He wanted me to play one of the characters who looked exactly like one of the rl people he had saved in some gallery, where neither the age nor even the ethnicity matched the core concept of my character.

So my partner who I am currently doubling with has taken it upon themselves to not reply to my end. To put this into context we are each playing two characters each that are paired together, these characters are in the same world but each group is off on their own adventure separate from each other and my partner replied to her end...but never replied to mine. So at first, I held off because sometimes we post one part first and the other part later but mind you both parts have always been posted in the same day....it has been over a month and they still have not replied to my end.

Someone just wasted my time responding to my 1x1 advert on another site. We brainstormed a plot, and then he dropped a bomb on me: he didn't like the picture I used for character reference. That alone isn't a problem, I can provide a detailed description instead. NO. He wanted me to play one of the characters who looked exactly like one of the rl people he had saved in some gallery, where neither the age nor even the ethnicity matched the core concept of my character.
So he had a face claim he wanted you to use or he wanted you to play a different character?

Either way that’s a hard no. Also anytime someone insists on a particular face claim for my character I leave and block immediately.

that just comes across as a red flag for pervy behavior in the roleplay.

So he had a face claim he wanted you to use or he wanted you to play a different character?

Either way that’s a hard no. Also anytime someone insists on a particular face claim for my character I leave and block immediately.

that just comes across as a red flag for pervy behavior in the roleplay.
yeah, but I gave him a chance anyway and he ended up being far less literate than he claimed to be and ghosted me in spectacular fashion by deleting his account on that site earlier today.
Or maybe he was deleted. Anyway, nothing of value was lost.

So my partner who I am currently doubling with has taken it upon themselves to not reply to my end. To put this into context we are each playing two characters each that are paired together, these characters are in the same world but each group is off on their own adventure separate from each other and my partner replied to her end...but never replied to mine. So at first, I held off because sometimes we post one part first and the other part later but mind you both parts have always been posted in the same day....it has been over a month and they still have not replied to my end.
Have you prompted your partner to reply to your side of the roleplay? Maybe they just forgot to send it or such and haven't realized the error. Or maybe they're having trouble writing a reply but have trouble saying as much and asking for help.

I can't stand artist types running rps they turn trying to share any sort of picture into chore of having to track down ever source and it hard as hell for someone who can't do art I mean I get crediting but when you and others are going around flaunting your artistic talent and some people are forced to spend 10 minutes trying to track down the source for every single picture your using for an FC you start feeling like a second class citizen in an rp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back