Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh, it kind of irks me when people respond to interest check for romantic rps with that they're "fine with romance as long as it isn't forced". 9 times out of 10 it just means that they're never gonna put any actually effort into making the romance feel more natural.

People not knowing what psychological disorders are in basic definition.
The ones who can't seperate what a Psychopath and Sociopath are.
Roleplaying getting out of a disorder in one simple gamer move.

Grinds my gears.

Oh yeah, could be three because if someone is being overbearing I find it hard to avoid engaging with it. Good advice to just ignore it. I should probably do that.

The best way to handle people who try to pick on people and get negative attention is to just not bother with them. Starve the trolls.

Characters who are sadistic and destructive just for the sake of it. Also known as "chaotic stupid".
I am sorry, but characters who go berserk over anything and who want to kill everyone in front of them for no significant reason are not appealing to me.
There is a difference between a character who is short-tempered and a character who will kill everyone they see in front of them, without apparent reason.
In fact, I don't think that such characters contribute to the plot in any way. I am a firm believer that if a character must die, there must be a strong reason for that to happen, and a simply brattish anger outburst isn't a valid reason. Also, killing everyone in front of them is definitely a type of overpowering, which is also something I dislike.
These characters really don't add anything relevant to the plot, in my perspective.
Actually, I like short-tempered characters, and I also love when their frustration builds up and they release it in a dreadful way, but doing so in every scene is, well, frustrating.
I guess that these scenes can contribute greatly to the plot, if well written, dosed and definitely carefully plotted, not just because yes.

This is one of the things I hated about a IRL table RP partner. He likes to have these characters that handle stuff by instant action. Regardless of setting, plot, or anything else. Usually stalling or ruining plot devises because "My character is a B**A** M effer!" Or "my character is a cold heart shoot first edge lord." Or "My character is insane!" Forget introducing new characters. Half the time they wanted to shoot them. Had to stop RPing with them until we had a long talk about the increase lack of interest. A plot going haywire due to actual roleplay is fun. Everything being ruined because of death hoboing is just blah.

The best way to handle people who try to pick on people and get negative attention is to just not bother with them. Starve the trolls.

They weren't picking on people just kind of being boastful and suggesting things in the RP would be a foregone conclusion because their character was so great. I mean, yeah, I should have just let them do their thing, and engaging with them probably made me a bit of a dick too. :/

Ohhh those characters who just want to kill loads of people for no reason. I blame the media, lol. So often there are bad guys who don't get characterised enough to have proper motivation and kill their minions and henchpeople at will, and do things for no other reason than to mess with the heroes. People pick up on that and think their character killing a bunch of people for no reason makes them look badass. I feel like this is a stage that roleplayers generally mature out of once they have killed enough NPCs.

They weren't picking on people just kind of being boastful and suggesting things in the RP would be a foregone conclusion because their character was so great. I mean, yeah, I should have just let them do their thing, and engaging with them probably made me a bit of a dick too. :/

Ohhh those characters who just want to kill loads of people for no reason. I blame the media, lol. So often there are bad guys who don't get characterised enough to have proper motivation and kill their minions and henchpeople at will, and do things for no other reason than to mess with the heroes. People pick up on that and think their character killing a bunch of people for no reason makes them look badass. I feel like this is a stage that roleplayers generally mature out of once they have killed enough NPCs.

The people with wow pow cool characters who can fix everything and never leave a challenge are just annoying. Those and the kill for no reason people just make no sense in RPs.

I know someone that tries to make the murder hobo characters and gets sad the RPs never have a sequel. Well, no one wants to RP with a character who you get mad unless he never has consequences. Or to really play their characters hanging out with your outlaw for some reason after he's kicked out of town for killing someone.

And the OP. Yeah, that is just blah as far as plots go. An OP character is not cool. It just makes having actual conflict for the plot ridiculous. Because either they fix everything, or the person suddenly wants a long drawn out drama that makes no sense as before it could have been fixed. But now they want the issue so . . . . reasons the person can't help.

Characters that can copy other character's abilities.

I hate this so fucking much for two reasons. First, it makes other characters less unique. Secondly, sooner or later they're gonna inevitably end up copying a power they don't understand and end up making it a lot more powerful than intended, which is gonna end up making the original user of said power look bad.

I hate this so fucking much for two reasons. First, it makes other characters less unique. Secondly, sooner or later they're gonna inevitably end up copying a power they don't understand and end up making it a lot more powerful than intended, which is gonna end up making the original user of said power look bad.
It's an idea I like on paper, and there's a lot of actual media that does it well.
Just give it to a villain instead of one of the protagonists and actually talk with the other players, and I think it could be pulled off. Something about taking other people's powers feels a bit villainous, outside of something like a video game where it's there to be a fun mechanic.

It's an idea I like on paper, and there's a lot of actual media that does it well.
Just give it to a villain instead of one of the protagonists and actually talk with the other players, and I think it could be pulled off. Something about taking other people's powers feels a bit villainous, outside of something like a video game where it's there to be a fun mechanic.

Delinquent Delinquent I read this to a RPer friend of mine and he said he ran into this a couple times. Someone he knew was a huge fan of Megaman, Rogue, and Surprise from the Xanth books and kept tried to toss in a character based on power copy and ran into many, many, many sore moments with other players. Even trying to revamp it after the first issues it still got on nerves. Either as you said, trying to make her do things better or having instant control. When she tried to redo to make her have weaknesses she literally tore down the RP with having to constantly save her or help her learn to use the powers. I know his story method is like mine and involves putting much thought into characters and I can see why they get so angry. I've had the issue of people just trying to make a character have the same ability as mine. Naturally it gets annoying when I have my character in back story trained to do what he does. And suddenly they play someone who just realized they have powers auto prodigy.

Crenando Crenando Like the villain in the Awesomes that goofed up not knowing the extreme weakness to stopping time LOL
I think talking with other players is the truly important part. Whether you want to go hero or villain you need to know whether you will be stepping on toes or taking over with a character who needs way to much attention. Just asking would be key to knowing if this is an interesting plot or going to be a fuster cluck.

Those stars next to the plot/pairings one wants to roleplay the most.

While it didn't make me angry, people have a right to list their RP preferences as they like, this has made me back from a RP ad before.

When plots I like are heavy on the one star and then things I don't are five star it kind of feels uncomfortable answering them. I've seen friendship plots and fantasy, sci fi, hero type things listed one star and then slice of life and romance pairing are high and felt like starting an RP would likely lead to the person getting bored. Or a return of my curse of my partners suddenly shifting gears as it seemed to really be getting good.

When people ask for advice, you take the time to seriously consider said advice and give it, and they don't even bother to acknowledge it. Like, fine, don't take the advice if you don't want to, that's your prerogative, but at least say thank you or click the "like" button. It's just rude.

Those stars next to the plot/pairings one wants to roleplay the most.
I dislike this but for a different reason. I don’t like the idea of something being 1 or 2 stars. Like... If you don’t want to RP the idea then don’t put it up ?? It’s in the same vein of people putting “I don’t like to do X but maybe you can convince me”.

I dislike this but for a different reason. I don’t like the idea of something being 1 or 2 stars. Like... If you don’t want to RP the idea then don’t put it up ?? It’s in the same vein of people putting “I don’t like to do X but maybe you can convince me”.
I don't think people put one or two stars along their plots/ pairing preferences/ fandoms because they don't want to roleplay them, but because they lack a spark for that idea to be a top priority (unless it has no stars at all). Anything that is on a list is fair game, unless stated otherwise, but some things just have more appeal at certain times. I know that those who use stars usually update their threads frequently. I did contact people who use stars before (without going for the multiple stars ideas) and they became really interested in that certain thing after we talked it over. Really, the difference between one star and five is just a spark and a good plot.

I haven't seen "I don't like to do X but maybe you can convince me" until now, but I have seen "Yeah... I kind of not feel this but you can convince me" -- kind of a grey area. It still shows openness... but probably people can phrase things a little bit better. As someone has already mentioned here (I think), use of stars or "convince me" can put one off that certain idea and turn them away from it. But don't feel afraid to shoot your shot, peeps xD

I really want to write something legendary or incredible and all of my Roleplays seem to pale to my own expectations.

When you state in your rules and discussion you only play your characters and not pre-selected parts. Also not into child rearing stories. They say they'll make the starter as they want to show characters back story of what happened to his dad and why his mother moved him to the city. Cool, I don't mind reading an origin story before RPing. Writes a few good sized paragraphs of their character as a kid then send a message. "Uh, I need you to play his mom."

:xFrolleyes:

When you see an interesting Group rp check but realistically will never be able to keep up if you join.
Or worse, when you actually want to make your own Group rp, but realistically will never be able to maintain it.

I kind of dislike the whole "PM me this specific phrase to prove that you read the rules" thing some people are doing. It's always the roleplays that have a like a hundred different rules that essentially says the same fucking thing that uses this shit.

Also, it doesn't even solve the issue because a) reading the rules isn't a garentuee that people will follow them anyways b) people will just skim through the rules anyways rather than actually bother to read them.

I kind of dislike the whole "PM me this specific phrase to prove that you read the rules" thing some people are doing. It's always the roleplays that have a like a hundred different rules that essentially says the same fucking thing that uses this shit.

Also, it doesn't even solve the issue because a) reading the rules isn't a garentuee that people will follow them anyways b) people will just skim through the rules anyways rather than actually bother to read them.
An interesting thing to make a comeback I’ll admit. Though they seem to have calmed down a lot. I remember there used to be several “passwords” to trap the skimmer and one real password buried somewhere random in the lore. pls don’t do this

Trying to talk to someone who insists they want to RP with me but whenever I bring up anything they won't stop joking long enough to actually get to actual RP talk.

ppl who go all-in w their cs', make them super detailed n pretty w bbcode, then dip when the actual rp starts like ??

The exact reason why I believe that your ability to write a character sheet does not correlate to your ability to roleplay.

Someone controlling your character and switching back and forth from third to first person, as well as completely changing what you've written in their next reply without consulting you first... why even write with someone if you're going to control both sides and ignore what they're writing for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back