Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just gonna say that using this thread to talk about other members on this forum in such a way that it's obvious who you're referring to is kind of a shitty thing to do. At least try to hide it a bit.
Do people do that? I haven't seen people doing that.

i mean I dont doubt such people exist but I have never run into anyone that bad on this site. So if it is someone on here the OP did a sufficient job on hiding that persons identity.

oops tagged the wrong person sorry about that.

It's hard to do without it being obvious to them should they see it, but I don't think anyone else would be able to figure it out

Yeah I mean every rant thread is about people who piss of us off. So as long as you aren't actually calling people out by tag or name I don't see how it's such a big deal.

I mean I'm sure some of my partners would recognize themselves in my gripes if they stalk my posts. I don't think most of them would bother though. So other than the person specifically I don't think anyone else is gonna know who the hell I'm talking about.

The posts about the guy who didn't like shapeshifting because it was magic were so obvious that it took less than two seconds for me to figure out who it was about.
Must've been someone I haven't encountered before, then.

-Every time I step away from the online rp community for a few months, I forget that most people don't like to write characters with different gender identities from themselves. And then I remember, and it shocks me, every time. Like. Dude, writing a woman isn't actually that hard. The foundation of any good character is a strong motivation and personality, and if you can get into the headspace of the character and make the dialogue sound decent, then you can, in essence, write anyone. The lady who works at 7/11 can be just as compelling and interesting as a character as a princess or a magical girl, it's all about how you're going about telling the story.
I've been told my female charactors are better than my male characters. That I make a better mom than a dad.

Malozing Malozing

I'm sorry, I upset you. I haven't read anything about false Gods, and don't recall ever saying that it was okay.

In my story, I barely had the 10 or so pages to explain the background for why the Butterfly dance is the way it is and the rest of the story.

It was supposed to be a family tradition based on a bedtime story that their great great grandfather made up randomly as a joke. But the person took it seriously.

But this entire situation can be chalked up to the fact that I'm just not that good of a writer, so i'm sorry I suck at writing. I joined the Writing Buddies thinking I could get better over time. But if you rather I just left, I will. No questions asked.

Maybe i should have just given up on writing to begin with.

Malozing Malozing

I'm sorry, I upset you. I haven't read anything about false Gods, and don't recall ever saying that it was okay.

In my story, I barely had the 10 or so pages to explain the background for why the Butterfly dance is the way it is and the rest of the story.

It was supposed to be a family tradition based on a bedtime story that their great great grandfather made up randomly as a joke. But the person took it seriously.

But this entire situation can be chalked up to the fact that I'm just not that good of a writer, so i'm sorry I suck at writing. I joined the Writing Buddies thinking I could get better over time. But if you rather I just left, I will. No questions asked.

Maybe i should have just given up on writing to begin with.
No you belong in the group. Writing takes practice. I am not upset about your writing. My critique has no anger in it, and is, like all critique, recommendations on how to improve on the share piece

This was a rant about me not understanding your reasoning not about your writing.

No you belong in the group. Writing takes practice. This was a rant about me not understanding your reasoning.

My reasoning?

It's not something so simple as "It's because I'm a Christian."

I have my own convictions. I decided to become the World's Greatest Writer because I wanted to be able to share my ideas with the entire world.

If you want a reason, It'd have to be, "I don't like magic, because the bible says it is real."

Magic is real, but is, to my beliefs, only a counterfeit to God's True Power.

A true disciple of God, with enough faith, can defeat the most powerful magic user, through God's power.

I know it might be hard to accept, but in this world, you can't take anything or anyone for granted.

If you want scripture as proof, look at Exodus when God used Moses to outperform the Egyptian Enchanters.

My reasoning?

It's not something so simple as "It's because I'm a Christian."

I have my own convictions. I decided to become the World's Greatest Writer because I wanted to be able to share my ideas with the entire world.

If you want a reason, It'd have to be, "I don't like magic, because the bible says it is real."

Magic is real, but is, to my beliefs, only a counterfeit to God's True Power.

A true disciple of God, with enough faith, can defeat the most powerful magic user, through God's power.

I know it might be hard to accept, but in this world, you can't take anything or anyone for granted.

If you want scripture as proof, look at Exodus when God used Moses to outperform the Egyptian Enchanters.
If you've got personal beliefs that's great, but if you can't separate that from your writing you're bound to run into problems. It's like if every character I made had an intense political leaning just I'm patriot irl. Sure, some of my characters hold patriotic leanings, but the majority of them dont.

If you've got personal beliefs that's great, but if you can't separate that from your writing you're bound to run into problems. It's like if every character I made had an intense political leaning just I'm patriot irl. Sure, some of my characters hold patriotic leanings, but the majority of them dont.

That's good advice. I'll keep it in mind.

Yeah honestly it can be fun to go out of your comfort zone and play a different perspective. It can even help you talk about faith too by looking at it from a different perspective.

For instance what about people that believe in spiritualism (auras, positive thinking, blessed feminine energy). What makes them have that belief? Why do they turn to spiritualism over other belief systems? What benefit does it bring them?

It’s kinda fun sometimes to deconstruct things outside our experience and learn to see things from a new perspective. I am that way with gender identity. Used to think it was stupid nonsense but I was able to branch out of my comfort zone and read and write characters that played with that idea and it really opened my eyes and made me a better writer. Plus I am a nerd so I just genuinely like to learn new things I didn’t know ;)

Yeah honestly it can be fun to go out of your comfort zone and play a different perspective. It can even help you talk about faith too by looking at it from a different perspective.

For instance what about people that believe in spiritualism (auras, positive thinking, blessed feminine energy). What makes them have that belief? Why do they turn to spiritualism over other belief systems? What benefit does it bring them?

It’s kinda fun sometimes to deconstruct things outside our experience and learn to see things from a new perspective. I am that way with gender identity. Used to think it was stupid nonsense but I was able to branch out of my comfort zone and read and write characters that played with that idea and it really opened my eyes and made me a better writer. Plus I am a nerd so I just genuinely like to learn new things I didn’t know ;)
I prefer to just do male and female as otherwise I find I get so preoccupied by trying to think what it'd be like that I don't end up writing the actual post. I can certainly see where you're coming from though!

(I don't just get this with gender though, sometimes I'll be so busy thinking about how it'd feel to be a demon on earth that an hour will go by and I've written one sentence. Hence why my posts take three days.)

Also, for some reason all my bi men just turn into real chauvinists and I think people are sick of reading it, so I just go with gay or straight characters.

Ugh tell me about it I got all this world building to do now but it’s like ——. I sit down to write and end up going down a tumblr rabbit hole for three hours.

So sometimes it is better to kinda limit your horizons a little so you don’t get lost in random ass tangents

Ugh tell me about it I got all this world building to do now but it’s like ——. I sit down to write and end up going down a tumblr rabbit hole for three hours.

So sometimes it is better to kinda limit your horizons a little so you don’t get lost in random ass tangents
Yeah, you're meant to be writing about the civil war tearing up the country but you just thought you'd mention what hair style your character chose this morning. And by mention, I mean accidentally write an internal monologue where she muses about what hairstyles different people have told her look good.

Because if you're going to start a civil war you might as well look good.

"Write what you know."

I already live my life. Why tf would I want to write characters that are basically me? Sure, I can understand the intention behind this mantra which (I assume) is to encourage people to not write things they don't understand (such as certain mental illnesses) but that has less to do with "writing what you know" and more to do with being a good writer in general. If my character has any hobbies, skills, mental illnesses, etc. that I am not familiar with... the first step is always intensive research to make sure it's being portrayed correctly. That should always be the first step, particularly when dealing with sensitive issues.

This whole phrase is like a creative cage. I'm intensely grateful that when I was starting out with writing I didn't hear this one. You're not going to grow creatively if you don't get to flex your imagination and put yourself in someone else's shoes. Drives me extra batty when I see people bandying it about and I dearly hope there are no writers out there who actually feel like they need to follow this. Do your research, be respectful of the subject matter you're handling, and write to your heart's content.

GM's who leave a roleplay or interest check without a word and refuse to confirm the abandonment of such should get the gat tbh. Just let people know, it's simple. I won't judge you.
I suppose for me it depends on why, like if something came up and they weren't anle to get on for a good long while I'd understand. I knew someone who was in a situation where they literally could not get into the internet unexpectedly for months and by the time they were able to come back they were both too embarrassed to say they'd lost interest after so much time passing and were fairly sure no one was still looking forward to it by then.

I suppose for me it depends on why, like if something came up and they weren't anle to get on for a good long while I'd understand. I knew someone who was in a situation where they literally could not get into the internet unexpectedly for months and by the time they were able to come back they were both too embarrassed to say they'd lost interest after so much time passing and were fairly sure no one was still looking forward to it by then.
I'm talking posting in other threads while ignoring any message for confirmation.

"Write what you know."

I already live my life. Why tf would I want to write characters that are basically me? Sure, I can understand the intention behind this mantra which (I assume) is to encourage people to not write things they don't understand (such as certain mental illnesses) but that has less to do with "writing what you know" and more to do with being a good writer in general. If my character has any hobbies, skills, mental illnesses, etc. that I am not familiar with... the first step is always intensive research to make sure it's being portrayed correctly. That should always be the first step, particularly when dealing with sensitive issues.

This whole phrase is like a creative cage. I'm intensely grateful that when I was starting out with writing I didn't hear this one. You're not going to grow creatively if you don't get to flex your imagination and put yourself in someone else's shoes. Drives me extra batty when I see people bandying it about and I dearly hope there are no writers out there who actually feel like they need to follow this. Do your research, be respectful of the subject matter you're handling, and write to your heart's content.

I had an English teacher at school who decided all our creative writing should be from direct lived experience. We were 14, what kind of lived experience did he expect us to have??!!! Also he obviously didn't understand the idea of fiction as a thing. He sucked all the joy and fun out of English for the whole year.

On the same theme, when someone writes a book or story and people say "is it autobiographical?" Like smh it's fiction you moron. Happens all the time even in professional interviews with authors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back