Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel kind of "get out, get out now" when I reach out to someone offer ideas only for them to not even try to acknowledge them even if it's to say they're not feeling them. There's no type of collaboration to come up with something we both will enjoy together.
Makes me wonder I bothered in the first place.

Came across a P2W RP server on Discord the other day. Space opera nation RP. Could get larger fleet caps, superweapons, "godmod passes" and things from a sort of lottery. You would be entered in the lottery by doing art for the server owner, donating to his patreon or boosting the server with nitro and what you got was random.

I love fight scenes in an Rp, action and all of that sort of stuff going down. The fandoms I Rp typically have action in them and it’s fun to try and bring your own fight scene to life or rewrite a preexisting fight scene between characters… but DANG do I struggle with it and it drives me CRAZY! I’m not sure if it’s because fight scene etiquette varies between my partners or the fandoms or if I just don’t really have a knack for it! Still gonna try though lol they just take me much longer to type out.

I love fight scenes in an Rp, action and all of that sort of stuff going down. The fandoms I Rp typically have action in them and it’s fun to try and bring your own fight scene to life or rewrite a preexisting fight scene between characters… but DANG do I struggle with it and it drives me CRAZY! I’m not sure if it’s because fight scene etiquette varies between my partners or the fandoms or if I just don’t really have a knack for it! Still gonna try though lol they just take me much longer to type out.
Can confirm. I met a guy who went into combat RP and straight up autohit and 1tapped my character. When i called him out ooc he said that no malice was intended and that was how things worked in his last RP group. (Doesn't sound like a good group imo)

I don’t have much to complain about when it comes to RP. Although, I did have a passive aggressive or perhaps dismissive partner. It’s funny because they’re the one who reached out to me first and once we were conversing they had much to say; however, after I posted a starter. Their ooc replies were limited to one sentence responses in stark contrast to their paragraphs from before. It was really more odd because they kept replying. “It’s fine. I’ll get to it later.” But I wasn’t even operating under the pretense of them responding to the post. I was just asking how their day was. In this instance, I would’ve preferred if they just ghosted instead of stringing me along half-heartedly. But it is what it is, I suppose.

I feel like most of my rp-related pet peeves are actually complaining about myself not being able to do something XD other people don't annoy me as much as I annoy myself as a roleplayer.
Like, being too stupid to make up a good murder mystery plot for rp which prevents me from rping murder mystery. And besides, knowing things ahead (as the player) will make it not so 'mystery' even if it's still a mystery for the characters.

Like, being too stupid to make up a good murder mystery plot for rp which prevents me from rping murder mystery.

I recently read a published novel where the plot was: A thirty-something year old man is upset over a group of girls laughing at him in grade four when he pissed himself on stage during a school play. This man spends the next 20 years dressing up in secret in an owl bodysuit and plotting the brutal murders of those girls.

I recently read a published novel where the plot was: A thirty-something year old man is upset over a group of girls laughing at him in grade four when he pissed himself on stage during a school play. This man spends the next 20 years dressing up in secret in an owl bodysuit and plotting the brutal murders of those girls.
Is that the synopsis of Palahniuk's latest book? That'd be on brand really.

Is that the synopsis of Palahniuk's latest book? That'd be on brand really.

Palahniuk? No, I'd have remembered his unique writing style for sure. This novel was one of those pulp murder mysteries that middle-aged women tend to consume. The author was a woman and is quite prolific, though I can't remember her name or the title of the book. My girlfriend would remember, she has a good memory for things like that....

It was one of the novels I read when I was stuck in the psych ward most recently. Had I more of a choice, I never would have even picked it up.

Goes to show that even the dumbest, most absurd plots with the most plastic and unbelievable characters are still good enough for the general public.

Goes to show that even the dumbest, most absurd plots with the most plastic and unbelievable characters are still good enough for the general public.
I work at a library so I have a pretty good idea of what people tend to read... and yes, the pretentious conclusion is that it's depressing. But just like with pop music, on some level I can understand (reluctantly, but still) why people might go for something braindead and unintrusive rather than an alternative that actually requires some mental investment. I try not to judge them, but man, it's hard.

I think that different books are different types of activity. I can grab a Stephen King novel and chill for an afternoon and just lose myself. If I wanted to read something like 'The Canterbury Tales' I'd need a desk, a study guide and a notepad and pencil, and it wouldn't be chill.

I totally get it. I'm just mad that a book about a stuttering man dressed as an owl murdering chicks got published and my friend's absurdist novel about a hyper-corporatized dystopian future was rejected by the Canadian Writer's Guild.

Perhaps the Guild thought "Absurdism? Sooo 20th century. Corporate dystopia? Meh, done before. A stuttering man dressed as an owl murdering chicks though? That guy's on to something."
In all seriousness though... yeah, it sucks. That is all.

I feel like most of my rp-related pet peeves are actually complaining about myself not being able to do something XD other people don't annoy me as much as I annoy myself as a roleplayer.
Like, being too stupid to make up a good murder mystery plot for rp which prevents me from rping murder mystery. And besides, knowing things ahead (as the player) will make it not so 'mystery' even if it's still a mystery for the characters.
As someone who prefers the collaborative writing form of RP I honestly don't mind not having mystery for me or the other player. The fun is delving into the character's mind and writing up how they are handling the mystery.

Since the thread is in relation to roleplaying... When you read a book and you see the plot is bad even if that's a published book, you can just stop reading it.

When it's a roleplay, it's more of an active hobby (you're not only reading but writing too). And it's hard to create the idea AND keep it interesting for writing, for yourself and for your rp partners. That's both a blessing and a curse of roleplaying lol

Since the thread is in relation to roleplaying... When you read a book and you see the plot is bad even if that's a published book, you can just stop reading it.

When it's a roleplay, it's more of an active hobby (you're not only reading but writing too). And it's hard to create the idea AND keep it interesting for writing, for yourself and for your rp partners. That's both a blessing and a curse of roleplaying lol
I have actually tried to explain some things of this to people before.

All parties involved need to enjoy the plot for it to be successful. So many people have tried to get me onto plots I literally say I hate with so many round about logics of why I should like them. But in the end if I don't like writing those plots it's just a chore and not a game.

Even if I enjoy a show or book with a certain plot it does not mean I enjoy writing such plots myself.

Just because I write something by myself does not mean I enjoy writing it with someone else in a RP. I've had a chew out for not wanting to write romance or childcare plots when I have characters who are married or have kids. Their is a huge difference in writing all characters involved in these dynamics vs playing a parent figure with someone else playing a child. Or playing a character you are supposed to make fall in love with someone else's character.

I feel like I can't create a plot that works in RP setting. I seem to always conjure up plots or premises that already have directions or key events in mind, and with turns and twists that can only happen between certain types of characters, thus restricting some (more) room for my potential partner to add their creativity and ideas in. It was never my intention to do so, and I'm always up for changing the course and tweaking some things. But, perhaps I always come off as stubborn and seem so set on doing those plots with exact key events and twists.

sigh-

LFRPs tagged as "LGBTQA+" but the players are only looking for cis, heterosexual characters in heterosexual pairings. Will vomit on you if you mention a non-binary or trans character instead of cis. Bisexual characters will be held at gunpoint if they at any point, you know, display attraction to the same sex.

...Bruh. Why are you even tagging your post as LGBTQA+ if you're not looking for shippings or characters that fall under that umbrella? You're not really including that in the RP if neither you nor your partner are allowed to have anything related to those elements...is it because they're just trying to look woke or something?

LFRPs tagged as "LGBTQA+" but the players are only looking for cis, heterosexual characters in heterosexual pairings. Will vomit on you if you mention a non-binary or trans character instead of cis. Bisexual characters will be held at gunpoint if they at any point, you know, display attraction to the same sex.

...Bruh. Why are you even tagging your post as LGBTQA+ if you're not looking for shippings or characters that fall under that umbrella? You're not really including that in the RP if neither you nor your partner are allowed to have anything related to those elements...is it because they're just trying to look woke or something?

This speaks volumes to me. More than half of my characters are on the LGBTQ+ spectrum. It’s such a misdirection to include that tag and not want to actually engage with and write those stories. I seldom see non-binary or trans characters in RP, but when I do, I get excited.

This speaks volumes to me. More than half of my characters are on the LGBTQ+ spectrum. It’s such a misdirection to include that tag and not want to actually engage with and write those stories. I seldom see non-binary or trans characters in RP, but when I do, I get excited.

I once had a lady lose her everloving mind on me because the space pirate guy I was playing was trans. We're talking a small note in the narrative about him having surgery scars when his shirt was off. That was it. The only mention of it. But she proceeded to go apeshit because she 'asked me to play a male character' and hadn't agreed to any of that gay nonsense.

...That kind of stuff is why it's so irritating when people don't use the tag properly, lmao. Like bro. If my character formerly having boobs is going to give you a psychotic episode of pure rage, maybe don't use the tag that says you're fine with it? I just wanna write with people who are fine with mega gays, man. Don't stop me from making everybody at least half-queer.

I once had a lady lose her everloving mind on me because the space pirate guy I was playing was trans. We're talking a small note in the narrative about him having surgery scars when his shirt was off. That was it. The only mention of it. But she proceeded to go apeshit because she 'asked me to play a male character' and hadn't agreed to any of that gay nonsense.

...That kind of stuff is why it's so irritating when people don't use the tag properly, lmao. Like bro. If my character formerly having boobs is going to give you a psychotic episode of pure rage, maybe don't use the tag that says you're fine with it? I just wanna write with people who are fine with mega gays, man. Don't stop me from making everybody at least half-queer.

Oh, that’s horrible! I’m so sorry to hear that. As a close friend of someone who is trans, coming out is extremely difficult. Let alone trying to get people acclimated to a new way of presenting. It really bothers me when people aren’t accepted valid as they’d like to identify, but I don’t want to rant on gender politics.

I hope you find more open minded people in the future. I think your space pirate trans guy sounds like fun and deserves love. <3

I'm one of those people who usually does play MxF romance, but occasionally I do get a craving for a LGBTQA+ story. That being said, I won't use the tag unless I am actually seeking specifically FxF pairings or something (that tends to be my LGBTQA+ pairing of choice). I think a lot of people just use the tag to lure in more potential interest without realizing that it might do precisely the opposite. I'd imagine it leaves a sour taste to go into an interest check with that tag only to see the player is like "No, I only do hetero pairings".

A small frustration I had not too long back that I suppose was mostly resolved but I still want to say...

I don't enjoy feeling like I can't talk about my characters and ideas in PM/OOC messaging, nor do I enjoy feeling like I can only get someone to mention or ask about my ideas and characters after I spend a significant amount of time and energy RPing them.

Like, yes, I understand the RP itself is the greatest avenue in showcasing and fleshing out the characters. I get it. You don't naturally get to the meat of the characters by simply talking about them - I get it! But sometimes there's future plot points you might like an opinion on. Or maybe you just have things you want to discuss about your characters that you just thought of. In those cases, a simple "I think that'd be cool," or "That sounds interesting," would be nice. Why does it have to feel I need to make a long-term financial investment to feel included in the fun? Is responding to someone online when they're clearly trying to talk to you about something really that hard?

It just irritates and confuses me. I don't even know if my frustrations are founded or I'm in the wrong and just being dramatic. Am I just doing something wrong in my writing to be virtually ignored OOC? Do I really just need to "Git Gud" as I feel I was essentially told?

(I apologize if this might not fit this thread, I'm new to this kind of forum. I guess the TL; DR is that my pet peeve is not being able to engage in mutual OOC talk/OOC talk feeling one-sided to just one person and their characters.)

I don't enjoy feeling like I can't talk about my characters and ideas in PM/OOC messaging, nor do I enjoy feeling like I can only get someone to mention or ask about my ideas and characters after I spend a significant amount of time and energy RPing them.

It's funny because I have had a couple of long-term partners have a completely opposite issue. That's all we do is plan. We talk about every little detail, and never get around to actually writing a story about them. We have planned out hundred of stories, and maybe started writing half a dozen... Which is sad because these characters were wonderful to plan out. I even went so far as to make character sheets for a couple of them. But when it came to actually pulling the trigger, no such luck.

One partner has always been a little flighty with me. We made AMAZING characters and stories, but after an half a year to a year of almost daily talking, she'd just poof...vanish...and leave me wondering if she was even still alive! After some time passed, when she got the urge to plot more stories, she'd seek me out again.

Saryylyss Saryylyss yeah I run into that tendency with a lot of my original plots. Mostly because I like to have my world fully fleshed out before diving in. But I go too far in planning to the point where I’m like “meh I don’t need to tell this story anymore, we have covered all interesting aspects.”

I will say that people not talking OOC does throw me off. If only cuz it’s like “did you leave? Are you not happy with the plot? Are you sick? Did I say something rude? Come on give me something to work with here”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back