Anime & Manga What was the first anime that you ever watched?

I think the very first one I watched was Sailor Moon? I dunno, super far back young years.

The first time I watched anime while being (vaguely) aware of what it was would have been Full Metal Alchemist when it was airing on Adult Swim. Like I had seen Outlaw Star, Fooly Cooly, Gundam stuff before that but it was always just stuff a friend was watching. FMA was the first one -I- actively and readily watched.

tl;dr: I miss the old voice actor for Scar.

Pretty sure my first was Pokemon, but I also vaguely remember watching .hack//Sign on Adult Swim when I was too young to understand what was going on.

Since I did and still do have this huge obsession with Pokémon, that was the first sort of-anime I started watching at four or five years of age. After that it was Hetalia and then Kuroshitsuji. <3 xD I've watched a good few more though in the meantime.

We had few choices when I was a kid, Battle of the Plants--which I dunno if that counts since it was a redubbed Gatchaman , Speed Racer, Kimba the White Lion and Star Blazers were your choices if you were lucky. Maybe you might be able to find some Space Pirate Captain Harlock or Galaxy Express 999 but that would have meant being an Otaku (before most anyone in America knew what the heck that was) and having major connections or knowing someone in Japan . Most any other Anime was out of the question in the days when the VCR was brand new and before widespread cable TV--we had ON or SelectTV back in those days.

So if Battle of the Planets counts I would say that was it back in 1978 if not then Star Blazers the following year.

I can't remember which one of these I watched first since it was around the same time. My mom at the time thought all anime was cartoons for kids (oh how wrong she was). So it's either Akira, Unico, or The Sea Prince and the Fire Child.

Akira was terrifying the first time I watched it. When I finally watched it when I was much older I noticed things that still makes me go "eeeww." Anyone who remembers the blob scene will understand when certain anatomy was.. yeah.

I'm going to show my age when I say that when Dragon Ball Z first aired in '95 was the first time I really appreciated anime. Although I've definitely branched out since then.

ChanpuruDragon said:
I'm going to show my age when I say that when Dragon Ball Z first aired in '95 was the first time I really appreciated anime. Although I've definitely branched out since then.
lol, your age! look at my post :tongue:

hellrazoromega said:
lol, your age! look at my post :tongue:
Fair enough. >_<

While not as old, I definitely remember how hard it was back in the day. Going to Suncoast or Tower to find the VHS and trying to actually figure out what was good. So many times was I burned on a bad show and out $16 or something like that.

Man, kids have it easy nowadays.

*Yes, I walked in the snow to get the VHS. Uphill. BOTH WAYS!

lol, I hear ya, I recall in the 80's paying $40-80 bucks (back when gas was $ .79 a gallon and a comic book was $.50- 1.00) for a VHS tape just to lay your hands on an anime that was typically not available in the States. And sometimes, even at that price, it was a bootleg you grabbed from some booth at a Con.

My first had to be Pokémon or Inuyasha since I watched Adult Swim when I was only like 4 years old lol. Can't remember which it was but it had to be one of those two.

Tell me about it, there were a few times where I got burned on a bootleg because it was copied over or something. That was an easy way for me to figure out who my friends were in grade school.

Anime? Well, I guess my first would have been Akira, that got me hooked on cyberpunk anime and I followed up with Cyber City Oedo 808, Bubblegum Crisis and a slew of others, most notably the original Ghost in the Shell. Cue a long break during which time all my beloved anime VHSs were sold, lent (read: borrowed and never returned) or plain old got eaten by the video player (bastard machine!).

Since I got back into the habit, I finally watched the entire Robotech Saga, then the Macross/Southern Cross/MOSPAEDA series, the rebooted Ghost in the Shell/Stand Alone Complex series. I also tend to One Piece, SAO and I've not been impressed with the second season of Hamatora, so I stopped watching it.

Captain Hesperus

[QUOTE="Captain Hesperus]Anime? Well, I guess my first would have been Akira, that got me hooked on cyberpunk anime and I followed up with Cyber City Oedo 808, Bubblegum Crisis and a slew of others, most notably the original Ghost in the Shell. Cue a long break during which time all my beloved anime VHSs were sold, lent (read: borrowed and never returned) or plain old got eaten by the video player (bastard machine!).
Since I got back into the habit, I finally watched the entire Robotech Saga, then the Macross/Southern Cross/MOSPAEDA series, the rebooted Ghost in the Shell/Stand Alone Complex series. I also tend to One Piece, SAO and I've not been impressed with the second season of Hamatora, so I stopped watching it.

Captain Hesperus

[/QUOTE]
Man I remember walking home from HS back in '85 flicking on the tube and there was Robotech--not my first but first that had been on American TV in my area in a long time---and I was floored as well as glued to the darn set. If I recall correctly it was the first show I faithfully recorded every episode of on VHS.

I was about to say: I honestly don't know.

Then I realized that Dragonball Z is an anime, so I guess it's dbz ^0^''

That was before I even knew it was anime though...

When I started watching anime for it being anime I think

it was either Bleach or Naruto ^0^''

I think Yu-Gi-Oh! and BeyBlade would be my first animes. I was obsessed with my brother with buying all of the cards and the boards and stuff. >.>

I would have to said either Gundam Wing, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball would have been the firsts. I was certainly hardcore into Sailor Moon, but the other two I watch religiously too.

Later series would have definitely been Magic Knight Rayearth, Cardcaptor, DBZ, The Vision of Escaflowne, Neon Genesis Evangelion, His and Her Circumstances, Digimon Adventure.

You know the shit from the 90's boys and girls! >D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back