Viewpoint What makes you nope out of a search thread?

Haha, thank you!

And I think it's more frustration than anything else. Like, what are you looking for? I literally meet all of your requirements.
I think a great way to think around the frustration is this:

"It's their loss, not yours."

If you meet their requirements but they decide to move-off and not contact you to say "Thanks but no thanks" then perhaps this person might not be best for you away. Basic mannerisms and punctuality are very important in 1-2-1's so if you find it lacking, it's not a great loss to look elsewhere. (Never know, the greatest partner in the world could be right around the corner!).

Glad to hear that my mad rantings aren't just my own! :P I'm curious to know what your thought are about group RPs? It's been rather hit and miss for me in regards to finding a great GM to keep the status quo :D
That's the beauty of topics like these you are bound to find people that share how you feel :) Well when I did group roleplays at most there were three maybe four participants. I'd never come across what you described before mainly because there was not really a gm just the topic starter and we all took turns driving the story together. Occasionally there was that one character totally op or drama but nothing like what I've seen these days. It's something way out there. I would try sometime, something small-four people at max lol now excuse me for getting off topic! Carry on everyone!

That's the beauty of topics like these you are bound to find people that share how you feel :) Well when I did group roleplays at most there were three maybe four participants. I'd never come across what you described before mainly because there was not really a gm just the topic starter and we all took turns driving the story together. Occasionally there was that one character totally op or drama but nothing like what I've seen these days. It's something way out there. I would try sometime, something small-four people at max lol now excuse me for getting off topic! Carry on everyone!
I think it's great for people to share experiences, who knows, someone new to RPNation may read through this and pick up a few tip-bits! ;) Communication makes or breaks alot of threads and so I believe people who are honest and speak up about things may actually be very helpful to others, such as new RP'ers as I said before, GM's who are perhaps struggling with their threads and so on. I can't magically read minds so I don't know whether or not the people in my RP's are happy with how the story is progressing, content with other characters and generally continuing to be involved with the journey. Feedback (Good + Bad) is always massively appreciated! :D

I'm pleasantly surprised that your RP didn't have a GM, I think it's great that people there were level-headed enough to keep things running without going over-board! ^_^ I honestly wish I came across more people like them because i'm beginning to be put off group RPs due a horrible combination of passive-GM's and RP'ers that just want to 'win' all the time and don't particularly care about the story itself unless it affect them. :(

Ah, here's a thingy actually that has turned me off from survival RPs for a very long time.

People that join 'Survival RPs' but do everything they can to avoid the survival part. What do I mean by that? Well, imagine a modern post apocalyptic world blah, blah zombies, etc.. In this world of hardship, you must scavenge and loot to survive. Food, water, warm clothing, weapons and ammunition is top of the list when it comes to vital necessities.

Sadly, in every single survival RP i've taken part in (and i'm not being sarcastic, I have genuinely seen the same shit happen time after time after time...) Someone decides to make their character a military soldier with x,y,z equipment, a M4 with enough attachments to make a DEVGRU Operator jealous and I quote "A backpack and bandolier filled with ammo". It just takes out any difficulty for them and regardless of the situation, they magically fight their way through it so they can win, win, win. Zombie horde? Don't worry, he's got a assault rifle with enough bullets to take them all on. Low on medical supplies? Don't worry, he's stored a IFAK in his kit.. just in case. Running out of food? Don't worry, he knows the exact location of all supermarkets that haven't been looted already. Need to move quickly? Don't worry, they taught him how to hot-wire a car in Ranger school. Came across some traders? Don't worry, he'll intimidate them into giving up everything they own. I could honestly go on with how this pisses me off and straight up ruins my interest in survival RPs. I absolutely love the idea of treking through an abandoned city, keeping a equal eye out for opportunity and danger alike but if any danger can always been beaten off without any challenge and opportunity becomes a uninteresting norm because of a character's magical ability to over-come anything for the sake of their ego (some people just have to win, win, win). Then i'll just have to run things myself and straight up refuse certain characters.

Last edited:
Sadly, in every single survival RP i've taken part in (and i'm not being sarcastic, I have genuinely seen the same shit happen time after time after time...) Someone decides to make their character a military soldier with x,y,z equipment, a M4 with enough attachments to make a DEVGRU Operator jealous and I quote "A backpack and bandolier filled with ammo". It just takes out any difficulty for them and regardless of the situation, they magically fight their way through it so they can win, win, win. Zombie horde? Don't worry, he's got a assault rifle with enough bullets to take them all on. Low on medical supplies? Don't worry, he's stored a IFAK in his kit.. just in case. Running out of food? Don't worry, he knows the exact location of all supermarkets that haven't been looted already. Need to move quickly? Don't worry, they taught him how to hot-wire a car in Ranger school. Came across some traders? Don't worry, he'll intimidate them into giving up everything they own. I could honestly go on with how this pisses me off and straight up ruins my interest in survival RPs. I absolutely love the idea of treking through an abandoned city, keeping a equal eye out for opportunity and danger alike but if any danger can always been beaten off without any challenge and opportunity becomes a uninteresting norm because of a character's magical ability to over-come anything for the sake of their ego (some people just have to win, win, win). Then i'll just have to run things myself and straight up refuse certain characters.
This. Like, the fun in survival RPs comes from the fact that they actually have to.. you know.. survive, having a buff badass who can solve every single issue not only makes it boring, it makes the entiiiire RP basically revolve around this one guy.

This. Like, the fun in survival RPs comes from the fact that they actually have to.. you know.. survive, having a buff badass who can solve every single issue not only makes it boring, it makes the entiiiire RP basically revolve around this one guy.

"Oh lOoK, i HaVe fOuNd a FuLlY fUnCtIoNiNg mAiN BaTtlE TaNk iN tHiS CuBoArD!!!"

Jokes on you guys, I actually found one.. ;)

😂

I'm guilty of some of the stuff mentioned in this thread so this is a good laugh for me! I try not to take myself or RP-ing too seriously, ya know? We're all here for a reason: to have a good writing experience with someone compatible! If someone works for me, great! If we're not, back to the drawing board!

That's fo sho. Some days, I think I'm only around to experience major action and make friends at the same time.

If I'm simply not interested, tbh. 😂

Simple as that for me. No exact science.
Totally! I feel you that's why if someone messages me about a plot or idea that might not be something I can get on board with I reply back to them politely, at least give them an answer instead of not saying anything at all or dare I say forget to reply.

Totally! I feel you that's why if someone messages me about a plot or idea that might not be something I can get on board with I reply back to them politely, at least give them an answer instead of not saying anything at all or dare I say forget to reply.

Reading your post, I was like "That literally sounds like what's in my search thread verbatim." Admittedly I laughed, seriously. 😂

But I have to throw that out there because sometimes I honestly do forget in the midst of replying to other threads and receiving other things. Gets pushed down my PM thread and then work/life happens. And, honestly, people forget! That's why I at least have the disclaimer there.

To be fair, I tend to love/cookie someone's post as a way of me fully acknowledging that I read their post fully. That's something I've been doing recently so... progress!

Reading your post, I was like "That literally sounds like what's in my search thread verbatim." Admittedly I laughed, seriously. 😂

But I have to throw that out there because sometimes I honestly do forget in the midst of replying to other threads and receiving other things. Gets pushed down my PM thread and then work/life happens. And, honestly, people forget! That's why I at least have the disclaimer there.

To be fair, I tend to love/cookie someone's post as a way of me fully acknowledging that I read their post fully. That's something I've been doing recently so... progress!
Really? You don't say. That honestly is funny lol.
Oh, you don't need to explain it to me. It happens. People forget that's understandable and once again thank you for the cookie I'm keeping them stored away for a rainy day :)

I think it's great for people to share experiences, who knows, someone new to RPNation may read through this and pick up a few tip-bits! ;) Communication makes or breaks alot of threads and so I believe people who are honest and speak up about things may actually be very helpful to others, such as new RP'ers as I said before, GM's who are perhaps struggling with their threads and so on. I can't magically read minds so I don't know whether or not the people in my RP's are happy with how the story is progressing, content with other characters and generally continuing to be involved with the journey. Feedback (Good + Bad) is always massively appreciated! :D

I'm pleasantly surprised that your RP didn't have a GM, I think it's great that people there were level-headed enough to keep things running without going over-board! ^_^ I honestly wish I came across more people like them because i'm beginning to be put off group RPs due a horrible combination of passive-GM's and RP'ers that just want to 'win' all the time and don't particularly care about the story itself unless it affect them. :(

Ah, here's a thingy actually that has turned me off from survival RPs for a very long time.

People that join 'Survival RPs' but do everything they can to avoid the survival part. What do I mean by that? Well, imagine a modern post apocalyptic world blah, blah zombies, etc.. In this world of hardship, you must scavenge and loot to survive. Food, water, warm clothing, weapons and ammunition is top of the list when it comes to vital necessities.

Now that you mention it I have not seen many survival rp where the focus was solely on survival instead of the former soldier with a seemingly unlimited supply of ammo and a particular set of skills. Goodness...

Now that you mention it I have not seen many survival rp where the focus was solely on survival instead of the former soldier with a seemingly unlimited supply of ammo and a particular set of skills. Goodness...

Yessah. The amount of character convenience in stories like those oftentime surpass the amount of convenience stores so necessary for the setting. It's a total convenience magnet.

Also, tonsa zombies get killed while humans come out scratchless. Come on! Tend a byt, scratche a byt, as the old saying goes.

All this survival RP talk is reminding me of how I used to think I was wrong for making "boring" normal characters for these types of plots lol

All this survival RP talk is reminding me of how I used to think I was wrong for making "boring" normal characters for these types of plots lol
I know what you mean. :P What happened to the good old days where defending yourself against a zombie hoard meant finding the nearest fire-axe and swinging away whilst looking for any opportunity to escape? Nowadays it's more convenient to loot your nearest American high-school for AR-15's and waste away entire neighbourhoods of undead.

Those are the BEST type of characters for those type of plots I think. Characters that have little to no experience with any type of weapon and automatically they don't have a gun readily available but in the event they do they don't have that perfect shot in fact they may even miss or the gun only has one bullet.
Becker Becker touched on a lot of good points. Characters using their surroundings instead of having everything readily available. There's no room for character development.

O.O
This should be a topic in its own lol.

@Hengleford touched on a lot of good points. Characters using their surroundings instead of having everything readily available. There's no room for character development.

Yeah, you can go full on Dead Rising on those freakazoids.

I can't recall if I've posted here before but one of my biggest pet peeves is when interest checks get in a pissing contest over who can have the tiniest text. Bonus points if your microscopic text is also a pastel, impossible to read color. I don't care how "aesthetic" it looks, it's ugly as sin and I have to wreck my eyes squinting just to find out what you're trying to say.

This should be a topic in its own lol.

OwO That actually sounds like a fun idea. I may end up writing a 'how to' guide for people interested in running a survival RP but struggle with getting the tone right :P That said, 90% of it will just be me ranting about how things were much better in the old days of RPs ;)

Those are the BEST type of characters for those type of plots I think. Characters that have little to no experience with any type of weapon and automatically they don't have a gun readily available but in the event they do they don't have that perfect shot in fact they may even miss or the gun only has one bullet.

I wholeheartedly agree, I do find it a bit strange when 'everyone' in the RP knows their stuff and can strip-clean a M4 with nothing more than a toothbrush and a pint of moonshine. I think it's much more of a vicious circle:

Person writes in their thread that they miss a target or fail a certain task to create some interesting dilemmas -> Snarky-Rogue-#36 writes in their post about how pathetic it is that the other person messed up and goes on and on about how they're the weakest member of the team -> Upon reading through this post of shit-calling, the next person in line to post decides that they don't want to be shit-canned either so they write up that their character does everything perfectly and possibly jumps on this 'hu-hu-hu what a loser for messing up' bandwagon -> The thread eventually falls apart because people don't appreciate being stuck with party members that are just snarky ass-hats and have little more personality than a stone, others may ditch it because they've seen the behaviour of some people/characters and decide "fuck this." and others dont' like being in a crowd of try-hards who must win in everything or face being ridiculed by Snarky-Bitch-#78.

Characters using their surroundings instead of having everything readily available. There's no room for character development.

:angelD: When you come across characters that actually try to out-think a situation rather than wasting valuable ammunition are a god-send. I think the Metro 2033~ series does a wonderful job of introducing fire-arms but keeping it reasonable. Alot of the survivor militias are armed with a gun, lovingly named "The Bastard". Made out of piping, basic metalworking and reusing spent bullet casings. The Bastard is a cheap, easily made but horribly unreliable self-defence weapon and I absolutely love the idea of people creating these types of "Make-Do" bits of equipment than having a armoury full of Spec-Ops Assault Rifles, Sniper-rifles and Light Machine Guns. I really wish more community based survival RPs introduced improvisation as a norm for setting a fundamental part of what I would call the difficulty. Can't call it survival if you only have to move your thumb to disengage the safety on your tricked out AR-15 and defeat x,y,z situation. :P

Last edited:
If the author doesn't have a concrete idea of what the plot is. Like, if they say "I don't have a plot let's brainstorm but I know I want to do a Magical RP" like, dude. That could mean anything. This is a group roleplay.

If the author doesn't have a concrete idea of what the plot is. Like, if they say "I don't have a plot let's brainstorm but I know I want to do a Magical RP" like, dude. That could mean anything. This is a group roleplay.
I completely get this annoyance, BackSet BackSet . Sure, it's fun to give everyone the chance to give some in-put to the world but there's a classical saying "Too many cooks, ruins the stew". There will be people who want *this, this & this* but others think *this* is too silly or over the top and before you know it, the people that are more subtle in world building have already ghosted it :P

I usually make the plot clear, but leave room for change. I know what I do and don't want but sometimes players throw me for a loop and I have to reconfigure by talking with them.

I usually make the plot clear, but leave room for change. I know what I do and don't want but sometimes players throw me for a loop and I have to reconfigure by talking with them.
Ah, that's quite interesting. Do you have any examples of these weird ideas which have thropwing your into a loop that you're willing to share? Would love to hear them! ^_^

I'll be honest and say that 90% of the ideas thrown my way during threads that I have run are just.. plain bad? I remember being a Co-GM in a feudal Japanese samurai thingy and I spoke to the Main GM about setting up a Ninja family (Ninjas as in trained Spies and Assassins... none of that naruto weeb shit). He was totally up for it as his Shogun Family may need some 'help from the shadows' to secure the country from chaos. As I started work on fleshing out the family tree, doing some more research into tactics, weaponry and a general understanding of how feudal ninjas 'did they ting'. Suddenly i'm surprised by another player who made a member of my family, without asking me and worst of all.. making a godawful character. This character pretty much was the epiphany of a uninventive, sloppy and borderline insulting as I had taken the time to write in detail about my character's family being moderate and reserved in the old, traditional way.

This character was:
Under-aged
Over 6ft tall
Drunkard
Expert Swordsman
"Well respected"
Overly-aggressive for no apparent reason
Being the unloved child of the family to gain sympathies and show off how far he's come whenever he accomplishes something

As far as I was concerned, it was a meme character and some members of the thread believed I was being overly harsh when I laid into this character and more or less wrote several paragraphs in the OOC about how unrealistic this dumpster fire of a character would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back