Viewpoint What makes you nope out of a search thread?

Do you have any examples of these weird ideas which have thropwing your into a loop that you're willing to share? Would love to hear them! ^_^
Well currently I'm doing a Pokemon rp and I had plans to do a thing and three times I planned on doing the thing, but wacky happenstance or unpredictability got in the way so eventually I just came out to the players and said "this is what I want to do please help me do the thing."
Suddenly i'm surprised by another player who made a member of my family, without asking me
This happened to me and a friend who were part of a group roleplay and had made a two person detective agency. And this third guy came in and made a member of this agency. I had assumed he had asked my friend about it and my friend had said yes so I rolled with it. Turned out he had made the character without asking anyone and my friend didn't even know about the character (I read all the character sheets even when it's not my rp so I know about people's characters).

Specific character you must play.

Now, I have done something like this before. I created an Alice in Wonderland rp. Everyone got to choose a character from the character in it (besides alice who was dead before the rp began), from there they could alter the characters as they wished.

What I mean is when someone has this immaculate, fleshed out, magical, chosen one character. And they want you to play a measly human and tend to the needs of their character. This happened a while back and I said, "Why would I be interested in this when my character isn't anything special." They said, "your character is special. They're befriending mine."

That is my biggest pet peeve. Even roleplays I began where my character is clearly the reason everything happened, I try to make it clear that their character can be anything they can imagine. I want their character to be as important and essential as mine. Making it so the story wouldn't be able to progress without the either.

"your character is special. They're befriending mine."
The coolest thing here would be, like, the roleplay is different or something so the line then continues "My character is also special. He's befriending yours."

That's, like, the coolest thing.

It didn't happen but that would be cool.

Now, I have done something like this before. I created an Alice in Wonderland rp. Everyone got to choose a character from the character in it (besides alice who was dead before the rp began), from there they could alter the characters as they wished.

What I mean is when someone has this immaculate, fleshed out, magical, chosen one character. And they want you to play a measly human and tend to the needs of their character. This happened a while back and I said, "Why would I be interested in this when my character isn't anything special." They said, "your character is special. They're befriending mine."

That is my biggest pet peeve. Even roleplays I began where my character is clearly the reason everything happened, I try to make it clear that their character can be anything they can imagine. I want their character to be as important and essential as mine. Making it so the story wouldn't be able to progress without the either.

Ah I get this sometimes with the you must play my characters crush crowd. Where they basically write out their own personal ideal romantic partner and tell me to play that.

Um no. I don’t mind if you have a basic relationship in mind (ex. They’re friends and they’re gonna slowly fall in love).

But don’t give me a full CS for some random character and tell me that I have to play them falling in love with your character.

This drives me crazy. Why would someone tell me specifically what character I have to play? Why would they go into great detail talking about what my character has to be and what they have to act like and what their background and personality is? Why do that when they can just write their own book??? Seriously, I can't fathom this mindset. If someone wants something extremely specific out of their partner, and will get irritated or disinterested if their partner doesn't write everything just so, then why are they not writing their own book?

THIS

"I only play 18 y/o females who have red hair blue eyes and are extremely attractive and my partner must be a 6'0 man with no more than 6.5555% body fat and he must have hair that is no longer than 4 inches from the top of his head and trust me I will know if he's lying because I just know please someone date me I'm so desperate I'll use an RP site to fulfill my fantasies please I'm so lonely someone love me for who I am am I not detailed please"
WHEEZING WHY IS THAT SO ACCURATE

Those school roleplays with the fancy bbcode. Look, I'll admit I dump on school roleplays a lot but sometimes they catch my interest and I click on the interest check and I get, like, three scroll boxes and tons of fancy gifs.

Overly specific "roles". I can give this a pass if it's vague-ish stuff like "elf princess" or "dwarven miner", but if it's more specific stuff like "girly girl cheerleader" it shoos me away because that:

1. Gives very little room to get creative with the character
  2. Shows that the GM probably has very specific ideas on how said character should be roleplayed. Write a book dammit!

Overly specific "roles". I can give this a pass if it's vague-ish stuff like "elf princess" or "dwarven miner", but if it's more specific stuff like "girly girl cheerleader" it shoos me away because that:

1. Gives very little room to get creative with the character
  2. Shows that the GM probably has very specific ideas on how said character should be roleplayed. Write a book dammit!
This is super annoying. Like you said, I don't mind it if someone has a vague role they want to RP against, but I've seen people say stuff like "your character is a young actor in his twenties. he has a kind heart, but his past has left scars on him. his mother was murdered in front of him and your character, who randomly developed superpowers one night, becomes a vigilante out to find his mother's killer for revenge."
like...
....what? Why? Why are you even looking for an RP in the first place? Why are you not just writing a novel?!

This is super annoying. Like you said, I don't mind it if someone has a vague role they want to RP against, but I've seen people say stuff like "your character is a young actor in his twenties. he has a kind heart, but his past has left scars on him. his mother was murdered in front of him and your character, who randomly developed superpowers one night, becomes a vigilante out to find his mother's killer for revenge."
like...
....what? Why? Why are you even looking for an RP in the first place? Why are you not just writing a novel?!

Eh, I meant it more as in those lists of roles group RPs sometimes have. I'm more a group girl. But yea, I guess what you said fits my bill too.

In addition, I don't like role lists that are bogusly long. It certainly says something about the GM's expectations, especially when paired with the "limited number of specials" thing I mentioned a couple of pages ago.

There’s quite a few things.

Being a snob is one — sometimes I like the challenge, but other times I just roll my eyes and leave. Being straight up rude makes you less than the person acknowledging you. We are all starting somewhere.

Secondly, apologizing for your preferences. Be it gay or straight, this is YOUR thread you have NO reason to be sorry for having a pairing preference. And anyone that is offended because you’d rather write one pairing than another is ridiculous. Be proud of your preference.

Next would be animal romance. Sorry, but no.

“I only write females and I prefer you be a strong male that takes care of my constant victim” — I don’t really have anything against this because again it’s your preference and someone will cater to you, but I will instantly leave lol. Reminds me too much of my cringe younger self.

Purely romance. I don’t write to live out romantic fantasies that’s why I got my fiancé. Writing goes beyond fulfilling personal desires imo.

The new trend of “I am ghosting friendly” like what are we teaching ourselves and others if we tolerate a lack of commitment? If life comes up that’s valid but a lot of people simply leave and think because it’s the Internet they don’t owe the other dedicated party a goodbye. It is not acceptable behavior. It is not funny. It is not an identity or an illness that we cannot help — half the time it’s just being irresponsible and I think we should really encourage commitment and honesty instead of “let’s do all this work but if you leave idc” like why do that to yourself?

End.

(And for the people that will get offended by my last section, I did specifically state if you do have an illness or personal issue that is understandable. I’m saying the other majority that do not have an excuse.)

Three words:
Romance, drama, angst.
As soon as I see all of it mixed up with pairings that add to what could be an explosive set I'm out. I don't mind romance but when there's bound to be constant drama and what not, no.

Three words:
Romance, drama, angst.
As soon as I see all of it mixed up with pairings that add to what could be an explosive set I'm out. I don't mind romance but when there's bound to be constant drama and what not, no.
Best bit is when I turn down a character's shit attempt to get into a relationship with mine and in the OOC/PMs they act all snarky.. mentioning "This is a romance RP... so there should be romance.. *huff* *huff*"

Not today Sunshine, this one ain't falling for just anyone ;)

Best bit is when I turn down a character's shit attempt to get into a relationship with mine and in the OOC/PMs they act all snarky.. mentioning "This is a romance RP... so there should be romance.. *huff* *huff*"

View attachment 599438
maybe search for platonic RPs specifically...?

Becker Becker So you joined a romance roleplay and then were upset when the other person asked for a romance? Isn't that kind of like joining a magic roleplay and then refusing to let anyone use magical abilities?

That said I definitely agree with Potato, if you don't want romance just let your partner know that upfront OR look for people who are specifically looking for platonic relationships.

Becker Becker So you joined a romance roleplay and then were upset when the other person asked for a romance? Isn't that kind of like joining a magic roleplay and then refusing to let anyone use magical abilities?

That said I definitely agree with Potato, if you don't want romance just let your partner know that upfront OR look for people who are specifically looking for platonic relationships.
That's true, but it is possible to set out in doing a romance role play only for the characters to have no chemistry at all.

It's part of the reason I prefer Canon x OC - there's far less chance of this happening, as you can look at your character and go "yeah they'd likely mix with x", but with OC x OC, you could both have completely different ideas but neither one wants to change their character.

That's true, but it is possible to set out in doing a romance role play only for the characters to have no chemistry at all.

It's part of the reason I prefer Canon x OC - there's far less chance of this happening, as you can look at your character and go "yeah they'd likely mix with x", but with OC x OC, you could both have completely different ideas that neither one wants to curtail because they want to play their character like that.
On the opposite side of that...

I've seen and had far too many experiences with people just wanting to ship their self-insert OC with their canon character crush. There are multiple times, both in fanfics and RPs, where I've seen people portraying/wanting the canon character portrayed very out of character. They want them to act way more affectionate and open to their OC than they ever would canonically.

So yeah, I dislike OC x canon and don't want to do it, but that's just my own personal opinion.

On the opposite side of that...

I've seen and had far too many experiences with people just wanting to ship their self-insert OC with their canon character crush. There are multiple times, both in fanfics and RPs, where I've seen people portraying/wanting the canon character portrayed very out of character. They want them to act way more affectionate and open to their OC than they ever would canonically.

So yeah, I dislike OC x canon and don't want to do it, but that's just my own personal opinion.
Yeah, that can be an annoying issue where they refuse to acknowledge that their Canon crush would likely despise their self insert, but sometimes they can be talked round. You also get this when people want really weird ships though, as sometimes it either completely breaks from character (Lucius and Hermione... like why?) or when they're obviously super imposing themselves onto one of the characters.

I prefer for my oc x ocs to be platonic and my ocs x Canon to be romantic personally, but sometimes I shake it up a bit.

Yeah, that can be an annoying issue where they refuse to acknowledge that their Canon crush would likely despise their self insert, but sometimes they can be talked round. You also get this when people want really weird ships though, as sometimes it either completely breaks from character (Lucius and Hermione... like why?) or when they're obviously super imposing themselves onto one of the characters.

I prefer for my oc x ocs to be platonic and my ocs x Canon to be romantic personally, but sometimes I shake it up a bit.
Yeah I hate canon ships that don't make sense, but I also don't like OC x canon. Just me though. Sadly, OC x canon is something that'll make me nope out of a search thread, but it seems to be really common on this site ^^;

If I want to ship any canon characters (which isn't too common tbh since I prefer platonic stuff), then they have to have good chemistry and interactions within the canon. Otherwise I won't care.

Yeah I hate canon ships that don't make sense, but I also don't like OC x canon. Just me though. Sadly, OC x canon is something that'll make me nope out of a search thread, but it seems to be really common on this site ^^;

If I want to ship any canon characters (which isn't too common tbh since I prefer platonic stuff), then they have to have good chemistry and interactions within the canon. Otherwise I won't care.
Fair enough, sometimes I prefer to have my character make friends with a small group of Canon characters (say the golden trio or the court of dreams - corney name I know) and keep it platonic so the Canon relationships can play out.

It's more so that their attempt to seduce my character was just so cliché, terrible and cringe-worthy that falling for it would result in my character's standards dropping to a new low. I am honestly and completely up for Romance but Romance that feels genuine and not completely 'plastic'.

Edit: As with relationships in the real world, things rarely turn out well the first time. I've turned people down because of shitty attempts but i'd be more impressed if they actually take the time to learn about my character through their interactions and build up the friendship to the point where it makes complete sense to be together. Second attempts usually turn out better as over time, lessons are learnt about what works and what doesn't with *this character*. I end up leaving a thread entirely if I explain this in the OOC (I rarely do 1-2-1's so this romance would usually happen in a group RP) and they think in Disney Princess terms (Romance at first sight.. happy endings etc..)

Last edited:
It's more so that their attempt to seduce my character was just so cliché, terrible and cringe-worthy that falling for it would result in my character's standards dropping to a new low. I am honestly completely up for Romance but Romance that feels genuine and not completely 'plastic'.
gotcha
I hate most romance tropes, especially if they're really sappy, so I'll avoid them like the plague. :')

gotcha
I hate most romance tropes, especially if they're really sappy, so I'll avoid them like the plague. :')
Yeah it really sucks because for the most part, the relationship between mine and another character is leaning towards a relationship but then they jump too early, trying some *holding hand just before a battle* or *gazes deeply into their eyes and leans in for a kiss* and just ruins the build up for me....

"We've known each other for like a week (IC'ly)...I hardly know you." :P

It's part of the reason I prefer Canon x OC - there's far less chance of this happening, as you can look at your character and go "yeah they'd likely mix with x", but with OC x OC, you could both have completely different ideas but neither one wants to change their character.

Fair enough I misunderstood the original point. I do agree it's possible to start out wanting to do a specific relationship only for the writing styles/character personalities to deviate significantly. I once made a character that was supposed to be an obnoxious troll who everyone hated only to have them end up being one of the most popular people in the thread. I kept going in the OOC - no no see she's not supposed to be well liked because she's selfish and arrogant.

And everyone else being like - no no it's cool my character is into that.

View attachment 599438
Nothing more annoying than someone trying to rush the possible romance without first seeing if characters have anything in common or even develop some kind of chemistry but oh no the sixth post is the keeper. That's when all the romance should happen. Good grief.

Edit.
That and the person behind the character taking offense to it if it doesn't happen in the blink of an eye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back