What makes an interest check good?

Catnapper

Cat God & Fantasy Freak
I'm not that new to roleplaying, but I'm new to making a decent interest check that will get people want to join. How can I put my idea into an interest check that will get people to come? I've had no luck so far.

I only do 1x1 RP, so this is the only thing I can really speak to.  

I'm normally looking for the keywords "Long term" in the title.  If I see that, I'm in that check right away (unless it's got the word "Fandom"attached, I just don't like fandom rps.)  Long term roleplayers tend to be more high quality writers and their more willing to do the work required to finish the story (and maybe start a new one).  You want partners that'll last and make it so you don't really have to look again anytime soon.  

Words that I often see in titles that turn me away are, "Always looking" or "Always open".  This indicates that this person has a high turn over rate for partners.  They likely drop a lot of people and/or they get dropped a lot.  Everyone drops and gets dropped, if someone says they've not done one or the other they're lying!  But how often dose it happen and how fast says a LOT about the player.  

Once I'm in a check I'm looking at their rules first.  What do they expect and is it in line with what I expect?  I look for players who don't want one liners and I like 2-3 paragraphs and I like seeing "More is always welcome".  I also personally like potential partners who say they follow site rules!  I look at how often they want a reply and if they expect me to let them know if I'll be gone for a while.  I also want to see them say that they want me to let them know if I need to drop.  I look for all of this because it's implied they'll follow these rules as well.  You want a partner that is going to be polite and you want to be a polite partner as well.

Then ai Look at whatkind of role they prefer playing.  I want to play female and personally, I like MxF romance.  I really enjoy playing the wife and mother or at lest someone who will become a wife and mother by the end.  So I'm looking for partners who want to play a husbend and father role.  You'll see people say they'll play male if they really have to, but would prefer female.  I leave at that point.  It's just better if both partners are in their preferred role.

If an interest check hits all or at lest most of these points and I have an opening (which I must if I'm looking in the first place) I'll make contact and try and work something out with them.  I'm most happy when the person has some plots or at lest some pairings to give me an idea as to what the person likes.  I really like predetermined plots because they are most likely to survive to the end...  And there is always room for changes and new details.  

Theres are the secrets I've learned through trial and error over the past year.  With them I've actually successfully compleated several Roleplays, which is unheard of.  They may or may not work for you, but they've worked for me.  Mostly, you have to figure out what your standards are and don't be so willing to lower them. ;)  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also wanting to know what makes a good or decent interest check post. I plan to start up a huge fantasy rp this summer, but because of how different it'll be in concept compared to most of the fantasy rps that I see take off, I wanna know how I can pull people in and get them interested, or at least how to even do an interest check 'right.'  :P

From my own preferences and only mine, I like to see details. Other than the general plot, give me exactly how the rp will play out and how you plan to run it. How can you incorporate all players into the plot? Give me rules that you expect and what you aren't having in your rp. How many people are you looking for? Tell me a little about the world design. I might be the only one who loves very detailed interest checks that are a little on the long side, but that's just me. ;p I like to see that the poster has been very meticulous and put intense planning into their rp because that shows commitment and real motivation. :P

And this is also likely just me, but I love beautiful writing. Make your words flow and sound pretty in your post and I'm there.

Well I can't write an extensive guide on how to reel in people and promise it will be 100 % effective but I think the most important thing is that it catches the interest of whoever looks at the interest check.

A good descriptive title is always nice, a clear list/description of what your looking for. And patience. Lots of patience.

There is sadly no magic combination that gets people interested right away and a lot of time you have to be equally willing to search what is already there.

As much as you want to attract people, you have to be true to yourself when you do make your request thread. Don't put down anything simply because you feel it will bring you potential partners. Roleplaying, as I'm sure you know, involves what two or several people like and enjoy.

With that said maybe put up some pairings you find ideal, not necessarily ones involving romance, if that's what you want go right ahead, but for different scenarios. I like to see pairings personally. That and plots. Plots give roleplays a chance to see what ideas you might have along with the ability to help you build from said ideas. Brainstorming is always a great way of partnership and communication.

Mention what you like from what you don't. I think having a lot of rules, especially strict ones, is a turn off. You can be both serious about your writing while at the same time having fun. 

It might take time but I'm certain you will find partners.

I often break my interest check into three, prominent sections: the pitch, expectations, and a tagging spree.

The pitch is a summary of what my roleplay is about.  Introduce a setting, who some of the characters are (is this roleplay dealing with wolves, vampires, lawyers, etc), and the conflict.

My expectations is a condensed list of what I expect from my roleplaying members.  How much writing do I expect, how often do I expect them to post, what kind of characters I expect for the roleplay, etc.

Lastly, my tagging spree.  Making friends on this site is very beneficial.  They're likely the first people to join your roleplay.  If they don't join, then some of them are bound to talk about it.  Your connections are the best way to spread the word.

With the public status update bar on the site's home page, it's also very convenient to advertise your roleplay there.  Drawing views towards your thread is just as beneficial as comments and likes. ;)

I'm not that new to roleplaying, but I'm new to making a decent interest check that will get people want to join. How can I put my idea into an interest check that will get people to come? I've had no luck so far.

Can you vividly imagine an interest check that would grab your interest like a bear trap?  If so, please describe it.

I think what makes an interest check good is the formatting and organization of the thread. I'm pretty OCD but if I see that everything is all over the place like wild fonts and crazy colors, I've lost interest already. I don't like if the person seems to be inflexible in regards to writing an exact amount of paragraphs or changing up a minor or major detail to make things work.

Basically, I just like reading through interest checks that get straight to the point and have a lot of variety. I also like when the person's expectations are clear and that they provide a little bit of the ideas that they may have and would like to work out.

At least, that's all it takes for me.

I'll tell you what makes a good interest check:  Interesting ideas for a roleplay! For me it does, at least.  All the formatting around the ideas is unnecessary fluff, in my opinion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back