Other What is too personal to put in a bio?

bangtanoli

Rofl is my lmao
I’ve seen people include some (imo) real personal stuff into a bio with the bullet points and adding stuff like

• mental illnesses
• sexuality
• age (not that personal imo)
• ethnicity?? (Idk if that’s the word i mean to use)

What parts of it are reasonable/should be included, if any? Aka when does it cross the line for what you would include?

Also i’ve got no beef towards lgbt+ people. Rofl im not about that life. Idk if this sounds mildly offensive or something but that’s not what i meant if it is

I’ve seen people include some (imo) real personal stuff into a bio with the bullet points and adding stuff like

• mental illnesses
• sexuality
• age (not that personal imo)
• ethnicity?? (Idk if that’s the word i mean to use)

What parts of it are reasonable/should be included, if any? Aka when does it cross the line for what you would include?

Also i’ve got no beef towards lgbt+ people. Rofl im not about that life. Idk if this sounds mildly offensive or something but that’s not what i meant if it is

ethnicity and sexual orientation are ok.. The usual warnings are mostly descriptive narration of the character that emphasizes on the looks and sexuality of the character are the red flags...

(No we dont want you to make a 2 paragraph description of his/her looks or how she is "innocent but with a naughty side ;)" )

ethnicity and sexual orientation are ok.. The usual warnings are mostly descriptive narration of the character that emphasizes on the looks and sexuality of the character are the red flags...

(No we dont want you to make a 2 paragraph description of his/her looks or how she is "innocent but with a naughty side ;)" )

I think you misunderstood me lmao. I meant for people in real life as in something like an instagram bio for yourself. But yeah lmao i agree about the ocs

I think you misunderstood me lmao. I meant for people in real life as in something like an instagram bio for yourself. But yeah lmao i agree about the ocs
hmmm irl Bios? Oh then usually mostly measurements and political or religious views. Those are the no nos.

I mean in my opinion, and keep in mind this is coming from a 19 year old virginal "loner", you should put whatever you find fitting into your bio. Yes, it will weird some part out, but if you find that it is important then the people who got weirded out by what you find important, people who got weirded out by the expression of the real you, maybe those are not exactly people who would come to be your best friends, lovers, whatever... Narrower searches are harder and take longer, but they bring the real goldmines.

I mean, it really depends where the bio is being posted. If you're talking about a pretty public, standard form of social media, such as instagram, I would say the only information that's really pertinent is your name. Now if we're talking dating app bios, then yes, your age and sexuality are relevant and should be included, but for more public forms of social media it just seems a bit unnecessary. I think many people are in the habit of oversharing on social media. While many of these topics can be starting points for conversation or things to bond over, I believe there are appropriate times and places to share these things, and honestly, they probably shouldn't be the first thing people find out about you in your social media bios.

One thing I've never understood when it comes to bios is when people but the date they met/married their significant other. Or 'happily taken/married!!!' That's kind of private, in my opinion.

The same thing goes with 'single' or 'just broken up ):' Unless it's on a dating site, I don't really need to know these things.

Most anything to do with relationships seems kind of pointless to include.

One thing I've never understood when it comes to bios is when people but the date they met/married their significant other. Or 'happily taken/married!!!' That's kind of private, in my opinion.

The same thing goes with 'single' or 'just broken up ):' Unless it's on a dating site, I don't really need to know these things.

Most anything to do with relationships seems kind of pointless to include.

Definitely agree lmao makes no difference to me if someone’s taken or not

Definitely agree lmao makes no difference to me if someone’s taken or not

Especially on roleplay sites?
"I won't do romance rps with you because I'm taken!"

Like... it's not like I'M dating YOU. We're roleplaying as other characters but you do you boo lol

Well, I guess you have to think about how much of your information you want out there. For me, more is less. On a role-play forum I prefer to be somewhat enigmatic. On my IG or Facebook, sure, I will post more personal information like my religion, education, relationship status etc...but on a forum everyone is a stranger. I have no idea who any of these people are, where they live, or whether or not they are telling the truth about who they really are. I know who I am and I am comfortable sharing a bit about myself...like my genre preferences, occupation, and more superficial stuff, but nothing in depth.

More is less. Maintain the allure of mystery. "Oh my gosh...who are they?" *stalks profile*

Things not to include: What you ate for dinner yesterday, what you're going to eat for dinner tonight, social security number, what you're wearing, where you will be at, telephone number, astrological sign, how many relationships you've been in, what type of car you drive.

I was raised in the time before social media, by parents who did not want me putting any personal information of any sort online. I think a lot of that way of pre-social media thinking stuck with me and I'm often very reluctant to reveal even the most basic personally identifying details such as name, age, so on and so forth but will speak more candidly of my personal experiences.

Though I don't use Instagram or Facebook so I don't really know what is appropriate for profiles there.

That’s true

Not that I needed to sound so flippant about it. I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid, but I don't trust information from anyone outside of eye-poking distance ... it makes video-chat very morally confusing. Best case scenario, it's just too easy to "Job Interview" personal information to people who don't know you. Y'know ... glued a vase back together once becomes "master handiperson" and having a bad day once becomes "Undiagnosed manic-depressive episodes with schitzotypal tendencies and a Cluster C personality disorder."

I think my teacher in first year Psychology put it best; "The closest we can come to understanding ourselves is witnessing, with immense consideration, the effect we have on those around us."

... but seriously, I just made that quote up on the spot, don't believe anyone.

That’s true

Not that I needed to sound so flippant about it. I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid, but I don't trust information from anyone outside of eye-poking distance ... it makes video-chat very morally confusing. Best case scenario, it's just too easy to "Job Interview" personal information to people who don't know you. Y'know ... glued a vase back together once becomes "master handiperson" and having a bad day once becomes "Undiagnosed manic-depressive episodes with schitzotypal tendencies and a Cluster C personality disorder."

I think my teacher in first year Psychology put it best; "The closest we can come to understanding ourselves is witnessing, with immense consideration, the effect we have on those around us."

... but seriously, I just made that quote up on the spot, don't believe anyone.

that was actually really funny pfft
Also, I see a lot of undiagnosed depressed preteens that put that shit in their bios but ??? They’re not even diagnosed lmao is it just me that thinks thats plain wrong

Also, I see a lot of undiagnosed depressed preteens that put that shit in their bios but ??? They’re not even diagnosed lmao is it just me that thinks thats plain wrong

Lol, you're welcome.

You can't really blame them, everyone wants to feel special somehow, even if it's for being particularly vulnerable. It's a cry for intimacy, for real, nutritive contact with other people, for someone to understand them. I think most people can relate.

My favourites are people who say they're "on the spectrum," when they're actually just assholes.

Lol, you're welcome.

You can't really blame them, everyone wants to feel special somehow, even if it's for being particularly vulnerable. It's a cry for intimacy, for real, nutritive contact with other people, for someone to understand them. I think most people can relate.

My favourite are people who say they're "on the spectrum," when they're actually just assholes.

Spectrum as in autism? Or do you mean some kind of other spectrum like gender? I’ve never heard of a spectrum for mental illnesses lmaoo whatt

Also I agree about the feeling special jazz but I think it’s wrong considering there are people who are legitimately struggling while some people clearly just get sad every now and then but that suddenly makes them depressed. Imo that’s why a lot of people don’t take real depression/anxiety seriously.

Yus, I meant autism, but I think schizophrenia is also diagnosed on a spectrum.

True, they know not what they do, but half the problem is the psych-pharma Industry. They just jump at the chance to create a disease to sell you a pill at 65 bucks a go.

EDIT: not that depression is made up, but overdiagnosis is definitely a problem.

Yus, I meant autism, but I think schizophrenia is also diagnosed on a spectrum.

True, they know not what they do, but half the problem is the psych-pharma Industry. They just jump at the chance to create a disease to sell you a pill at 65 bucks a go.

EDIT: not that depression is made up, but overdiagnosis is definitely a problem.

Okay but actually just assholes? I’m a little confused lmao. I’m not shook about your opinion I just don’t really get it. Do you mean that they’re assholes because they’re pretending to be autistic or that sometimes people are assholes and blame it on undiagnosed/misdiagnosed autism?

That’s very true. I think sometimes there is a need for prescription medication but only when it’s become a real problem and not just some cry for attention. I think other options should be explored before getting any type of meds (therapy, waiting it out to see if it’s just sadness, exercise, blah blah). I also think it’s not something to be proud of so I find it strange how open people are about it.

Okay but actually just assholes? I’m a little confused lmao. I’m not shook about your opinion I just don’t really get it. Do you mean that they’re assholes because they’re pretending to be autistic or that sometimes people are assholes and blame it on undiagnosed/misdiagnosed autism?

That’s very true. I think sometimes there is a need for prescription medication but only when it’s become a real problem and not just some cry for attention. I think other options should be explored before getting any type of meds (therapy, waiting it out to see if it’s just sadness, exercise, blah blah). I also think it’s not something to be proud of so I find it strange how open people are about it.

Yeah, people who are insensitive or manipulative or underhanded or brash, but claim they're allowed to be because a Facebook quiz told them they're autistic.

Depends on a RP, I guess. If it's all about hot lesbian sex, than mentioning sexuality might be a good idea, for example; or if it's a high fantasy - noting deities you pray to is important.

I usually see it as writing your resume.
It is OK to put your age and martial status there; it's not OK to put religious views or sexual preferences.

If public or professional bio: no sex, no politics, no religion, no illnesses generally, and probably don't put your MBTI code there either. Keep it short and shallow.
On a random rp website with moderate anonymity: put whatever the hell you want to be remembered or judged by I guess, or which is relevant to what kind of rp you can provide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back