Video Games What is the best open world game to be open world in the known universe created by carbon lifeforms

Caffeine Freak

Two Thousand Club
Or, more simply, what's your favorite open world game?

Mine's Fallout 3 - or rather, was Fallout 3 before I finished it for the 50th time.

What's yours?

Hands down Skyrim. I can't sit here with over 700 hours clocked in on Steam and pretend like I don't think it's Skyrim. Just one word. Mods. Everything that's wrong with the game you can fix with Mods. People add new places and quests to the game that are bigger than legit DLC. Skyrim's biggest mod expansion Bruma was released a few days ago. And Slyrim's old as fuck. So yeah it's Skyrim. Hands down. Everyone go home.

I do love me some skyrim, even without the mods. Someone mentioned minecraft though, I was in the origional beta for that game. I wouldn't consider it open world so much as open sandbox, but it does have a certain charm to it.

But yea, gotta love skyrim.

Dwarf Fortress for sheer detail and the fact that every RNG created world is unique. You have a lot of control over the individual worlds and can do truly amazing things, such as build castles as big as the map and fight hordes of insane monsters, as well as just do whatever crazy nonsense you can think of.

Clearly, Knights of the Old Republic.

Ha just kidding you can't actually jump in that game.
Legends of Zelda: BOTW because it's legitimately the only non-Minecraft open world game I've ever played.
No, I don't get out much. Why?

Does PlanetSide 2 count? I mean, it has a pretty massive land area.

No? Whatever.

ARMA 3.

The elders scroll series has been by far the best "Open world" game series i known, hell bethesda in general has made great open world games i mean you got Fallout series, Elders scroll's, dishonored is open world in a way. But my top favorite has to be Elders scroll oblivion and Fallout 3. Very notable games from its pass, Morrowind is one to mention.

Uhh probably Fallout 4. I just sunk so much time into that game it's crazy. & I wish Elder Scrolls Online was as immersive as Skyrim.. I cri everytime....

Skyrim for the sheer community-created content using said open world (Enderal anyone?) but Fallout: NV for actual game-play and it's hands-down my favorite Fallout game.

Arma two and three, almost seven massive maps, plus replayability, and mods along with multiplayer. So, not just seven or eight, tons of maps.

Ah geez, open world games are my favorite kind of game so this is a little difficult. I'm going to have to say either Farcry 3 or Farcry 4.

How has no one said GTA V? Literally the best online open world experience ever.

Well. I can't decide. But on my list there's okami, the infamous series, GTA 4 was amazing when it launched, the assassins creed series...

Ghost Recon: Wildlands although not the best open world game is certainly good. The map itself can be really beautiful at times too.

Mass Effect: Andromeda also had very nicely designed maps to explore and drive around in.

This is me mostly commenting on solely the maps of these games though.

I'm jumping in the Switch bandwagon and saying the Breath of The Wild was the best open world game I've ever played.

I'll say Breath of the Wild, though I have to add the caveat that it's pretty much the only open world game I've ever played seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back