Advice/Help what is some good advice for someone starting rp

Don't take advice from RPers and if you choose to, do it with a huge gain of salt.

That said literacy levels are fake and made up. Paragraph count and word count don't mean anything and are completely arbitrary numbers we ascribe skill and ability, but honest to god someone who write you a paragraph may just be the best RPer you've ever encountered and they would be considered a lesser RPer because of it.

So be open to just RPing with anyone regardless of their word/paragraph counter or literacy level. Even if they share sample posts, they mean nothing, because whatever feeling or emotion that is associated to that post you won't pickup because you weren't in the RP so you wont have context as to why that post is so good . . . unless they share the whole RP thread and you are able to read it and understand context of the reply.

Don't perscribe to the idea that grammar and spelling make an RP great. If you start that it's a dark hole. Everyone typos and sometimes terribly, but it won't detract from your experience if you don't let that become an all encompassing thing for you . . . trust me some of the best RPers I've played with didn't always spell check or grammar check.

Go into the RP world as a newbie and BE A NEWBIE make your mistakes, learn from experience! It's more organic than trying to figure it out based on a bunch of arbitrary rules and expectations that people are going to thrust onto you . . . like word count and spell/grammar . . . GO ENJOY RPS specially with people you feel comfortable RPing with.

That is another thing trust your gut. If it feels off don't waste time with the RP. And just have fun don't take this hobby to seriously.

Don't take advice from RPers and if you choose to, do it with a huge gain of salt.

That said literacy levels are fake and made up. Paragraph count and word count don't mean anything and are completely arbitrary numbers we ascribe skill and ability, but honest to god someone who write you a paragraph may just be the best RPer you've ever encountered and they would be considered a lesser RPer because of it.

So be open to just RPing with anyone regardless of their word/paragraph counter or literacy level. Even if they share sample posts, they mean nothing, because whatever feeling or emotion that is associated to that post you won't pickup because you weren't in the RP so you wont have context as to why that post is so good . . . unless they share the whole RP thread and you are able to read it and understand context of the reply.

Don't perscribe to the idea that grammar and spelling make an RP great. If you start that it's a dark hole. Everyone typos and sometimes terribly, but it won't detract from your experience if you don't let that become an all encompassing thing for you . . . trust me some of the best RPers I've played with didn't always spell check or grammar check.

Go into the RP world as a newbie and BE A NEWBIE make your mistakes, learn from experience! It's more organic than trying to figure it out based on a bunch of arbitrary rules and expectations that people are going to thrust onto you . . . like word count and spell/grammar . . . GO ENJOY RPS specially with people you feel comfortable RPing with.

That is another thing trust your gut. If it feels off don't waste time with the RP. And just have fun don't take this hobby to seriously.
yeah that sounds good thank you so much I will definitely do that

1. Be patient when it comes to finding partners/roleplays. People can get busy with IRL and aren’t always available for quick replies.

2. When joining a roleplay ask lots of questions. A lot of terms have multiple meanings depending on individual experience so it’s best to ask people directly for clarification

3. Filters are your friends. If your looking for something specific (like Harry Potter or Platonic Pairings) the filters will help you find threads specifically with those requirements.

4. If you are looking for one x one role plays search here - 1x1 Interest Checks

If you are looking for group role plays search here - Group Interest Checks

5. (Optional) Have samples available of your writing and ask people for samples of their writing. (Not strictly necessary but can help with finding compatible partners).

6. When it comes to making characters try basing them on people you once in real life. It helps with fleshing out backstory and personality when you are first starting out.

Thats all I can think of for now. If you have specific questions down the road my inbox is always open. (might not get back right away if it’s a work day but I can usually respond within a day or two)

Last edited:
1. Be patient when it comes to finding partners/roleplays. People can get busy with IRL and aren’t always available for quick replies.

2. When joining a roleplay ask lots of questions. A lot of terms have multiple meanings depending on individual experience so it’s best to ask people directly for clarification

3. Filters are your friends. If your looking for something specific (like Harry Potter or Platonic Pairings) the filters will help you find threads specifically with those requirements.

4. If you are looking for one x one role plays search here -https://www.rpnation.com/forums/1x1-interest-checks.67/

If you are looking for group role plays search here - Group Interest Checks

5. (Optional) Have samples available of your writing and ask people for samples of their writing. (Not strictly necessary but can help with finding compatible partners).

6. When it comes to making characters try basing them on people you once in real life. It helps with fleshing out backstory and personality when you are first starting out.

Thats all I can think of for now. If you have specific questions down the road my inbox is always open. (might not get back right away if it’s a work day but I can usually respond within a day or two)
Thank you too for that I will definitely use this advice I will definitely remember your offer if I need a question but thank you for this anyway

Don't give up. Even if it's hard, and you're struggling to write down anything of note, don't give in. Creativity is like a wave, sometimes it's crashing over you and overloading your brain, sometimes it's calm and you can't make anything of it. You've just got to push through, clear your mind and focus on what you want.

Also support your fellow role-players, I think sometimes we forget there are people behind the icons and screen names.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back