Other what is ONE thing you crave?

I never knew what to call this until I saw it in someone else's interest check but incompetent father figure adopts orphaned child. Think Joel and Ellie, Lee and Clementine, an older guy who is in no way prepared to be a father forced to look after a random kid in a tough situation.

tough gay girls who punch all their problems but are actually big soft teddy bears who just have baggage they need to work through 🥺

bonus points if they have tree trunks for arms

Oooh okay so:

-Ancient Settings. I mean like sand-footed adventures set in like Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, Mesopotamia, Egypt and India. I am an absolute sucker for that type of story. Most historical settings are either Mafia 1920s, Medieval, or Victorian. Maybe WWI and II as well. I rarely see people who are as stoked as I am to take a deep dive into the Ancient world or even do a Fantasy based off of these time periods, which is something I also very much crave alongside these settings.
-Really intense character interaction. I love doing character-driven stories that will take a deep dive into the psyche of a character, how they function and how the world around them forces them to mold and change. Whether that be for the better or the worse. I enjoy characters that end up with deep relations (romantic/hatred/platonic or otherwise) and this being the real crux of the story.
-Mental degradation that is NOT romanticized. One of my favorite characters I have ever written has gone through one of the worst mental spirals I have ever written. And I mean this man's mind is slowly being destroyed and he does not know how to fix it and the pressures of his life won't let it go away. But I find that so many people legitimately see I make characters like this and they... romanticize the fact that he has gotten so mentally fucked in the head that he has such extreme anger issues and violent tendencies that he is now both a danger to himself and others? I don't know. I just want to be able to RP players like this and it isn't romanticized.

Oooh okay so:

-Ancient Settings. I mean like sand-footed adventures set in like Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, Mesopotamia, Egypt and India. I am an absolute sucker for that type of story. Most historical settings are either Mafia 1920s, Medieval, or Victorian. Maybe WWI and II as well. I rarely see people who are as stoked as I am to take a deep dive into the Ancient world or even do a Fantasy based off of these time periods, which is something I also very much crave alongside these settings.
-Really intense character interaction. I love doing character-driven stories that will take a deep dive into the psyche of a character, how they function and how the world around them forces them to mold and change. Whether that be for the better or the worse. I enjoy characters that end up with deep relations (romantic/hatred/platonic or otherwise) and this being the real crux of the story.
-Mental degradation that is NOT romanticized. One of my favorite characters I have ever written has gone through one of the worst mental spirals I have ever written. And I mean this man's mind is slowly being destroyed and he does not know how to fix it and the pressures of his life won't let it go away. But I find that so many people legitimately see I make characters like this and they... romanticize the fact that he has gotten so mentally fucked in the head that he has such extreme anger issues and violent tendencies that he is now both a danger to himself and others? I don't know. I just want to be able to RP players like this and it isn't romanticized.
I feel this about the ancient settings. Modern history is kind of my thing and what I'm most knowledgeable about, but I'm a huge sucker for the ancient settings as well. I just don't play them often since most people seem to want more fantastical stuff based around mythology. I like the more realistic stories.

I feel this about the ancient settings. Modern history is kind of my thing and what I'm most knowledgeable about, but I'm a huge sucker for the ancient settings as well. I just don't play them often since most people seem to want more fantastical stuff based around mythology. I like the more realistic stories.
Yeah, I do both mythos based and straight history. A lot of people seem to not realize just how rich and interesting these times are. That and I have a tendency to play the 'microscopic cog in the catastrophic plan'. While I have a few characters that are Emperors/Kings and Queens I really enjoy playing the little people who don't get a say in how their life ends up. One of my favorites was actually about one of my characters being taken as a slave after her region was conquered and learning to navigate a new life after that.

Yeah, I do both mythos based and straight history. A lot of people seem to not realize just how rich and interesting these times are. That and I have a tendency to play the 'microscopic cog in the catastrophic plan'. While I have a few characters that are Emperors/Kings and Queens I really enjoy playing the little people who don't get a say in how their life ends up. One of my favorites was actually about one of my characters being taken as a slave after her region was conquered and learning to navigate a new life after that.
Yep, I'm the same. I like to do a lot of Roman settings and most of my characters are just regular people. Gladiators seem to be a favourite of mine and most of them were prisoners of war.

Caravan.

Working on making an RP now, no idea when I'll post it, about dark, low-fantasy world taking place after a cataclysmic event ravaged the land and the RP isn't about saving the world, or doing some crazy stuff, it's just about them on a caravan, on the world's version of the Silk Road as they try to earn their fortune. Monsters, bandits, scavenging for food, facing the elements and dodging taxes.

Always wanted to do something like it.

Characters who had previously been deemed “worthless” or “faulty” by society, then being deemed “useful” in a survival situation. That’s the stuff right there.

Mental degradation that is NOT romanticized.
Gosh this is the best. Like I have a character battling a drug addiction and some suicidal ideation. She's also in love with another character. It's not a pretty relationship. It's not all magical and sexy. She's done things that actually seriously hurt him. It's been a long road of struggling every day. Pain, patience, the agonizing process of forgiving one another... Yet never forgetting.

She's a danger to herself and others, and it's one ugly beast that frequently breaks hearts and causes rightful anger. No one should want this.

The appeal comes from the glimmer of hope that she can defeat her inner demons someday.

Gosh this is the best. Like I have a character battling a drug addiction and some suicidal ideation. She's also in love with another character. It's not a pretty relationship. It's not all magical and sexy. She's done things that actually seriously hurt him. It's been a long road of struggling every day. Pain, patience, the agonizing process of forgiving one another... Yet never forgetting.

She's a danger to herself and others, and it's one ugly beast that frequently breaks hearts and causes rightful anger. No one should want this.

The appeal comes from the glimmer of hope that she can defeat her inner demons someday.
Omg thiiiis. Yes. I have a character who my friends have lovingly coined Fantasy Machiavelli who is going through some extreme degradation due to being the leader of his nation and everything feeling like it is crumbling around him while he desperately attempts to keep the pieces all glued together. It is to the point that he ends up letting go of his frustration through some dangerously violent and self-destructive tendencies that make him a danger to both himself and those around him. Even people who he really cares about are not immune to his issues. Not to mention he is in a relationship with someone who is also not in the best place mentally and they can be absolutely awful influences on each other.

When it is done without being romanticized it is just *chef's kiss* I love it. One of my favorite things to do with characters is dive into their absolutely cracked minds and see what needs to happen for them to fix it.

nachos here too-

But in all honesty, like found family, platonic with a well-meaning but really unused to doing this father figure and a lonely, outcast child

Female buddy cops and just funny girls in general. I feel like I played so many male buddy cops (and himbos) that I just want to have one platonic buddy cop adventure with another female character, you know?

Experiment RPs. I love the potential character development that comes from having a character gain their powers or be transformed as part of an experiment, especially if they have difficulties adjusting. I'm not so much a fan of needless torture though, which can often be a component.

Lately?
Casual rps, mostly just day to day life of friends and family.
World has been hectic lately and I need some fluff

nobility RP

except one that focuses on being a dynastic ruler and military leader instead of just attending lame balls and being spoiled

Two years after posting in this thread, I'm still craving fluff lol

Stimulating character interactions.

And I mean the kind that make your heart skip a beat or take a jump because it was just that cool, exciting, rewarding, adorable, etc. There's a lot of times where I go "aww, that was cute." Or, "Oh, that was cool." But very, very rarely do I ever get the chance to read something and feel my heart rate actually begin to spike because what's on the page is just that stimulating and makes me really want to read.

I often do role-plays with sci-fi settings.

Some may want Star Trek, some may want Firefly, but whenever I join or start one, I always crave some of those sweet, sweet character-driven stories mixed with Clarkian-style hard science fiction. Not that I'm pedantic about scientific accuracy or anything, it's just that the idea of spending weeks and months locked in a cramped vessel drinking your own recycled piss can make for some very interesting situations between the characters while they cruise the colonised solar system all alone.
Oh, and I also love space, I guess.

Character Development, I know that's an obvious thing to include but I just love seeing how far a character comes and how things affect them as time goes on.

Y'know, ages ago I had this one RP. The concept was that this woman in medieval times chased this dragon slayer man out to battle, and was wounded. A spill of dragon blood seeped into her wounds and over the next few days she'd start to transform, exhibiting a thirst for blood, first of butchered meat, then of live wild animals, and then whatever she could get her hands on. He spent his time trying to cure her... So he wouldn't be forced to kill her.

I played the wounded woman and I don't know exactly why, but I've been thinking of that RP a lot recently and I really want to reboot/redo it.

It's very werewolf-y and I don't even think I'd necessarily be interested in romance. It was just really fun to play something primal and unsettling at times.

It's an oddly specific craving lol

I have been in the mood for a rich, literate space opera - something like Ann Lecki's Imperial Radch or John Scalzi's Interdependency novels for a while. I don't think I have the time or energy to run one - it's the curse of being old - but I have character concepts I'd like to play with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back