Viewpoint What is 'Literate' Supposed to mean anymore

Again, I really do think it's just them trying to sound smart by using a word that is akin to "literature" and failing to realized that literacy doesn't mean what they want it to mean.
And to that I would say I don't think they are thinking that far. Maybe it was like that at first, I wouldn't know, but at this point I think people just do it because they see others do it and assume that's the way to do it.

That said, I would agree a lot of people do think it makes them look better to label themselves "literate". Not necessarily smarter, but better.

And to that I would say I don't think they are thinking that far. Maybe it was like that at first, I wouldn't know, but at this point I think people just do it because they see others do it and assume that's the way to do it.

That said, I would agree a lot of people do think it makes them look better to label themselves "literate". Not necessarily smarter, but better.
As a man who struggles with a learning disability, I find it amusing that they're appointing literacy a scale that could be seen as "How many words can you put in to pad out your school essay?"

As a man who struggles with a learning disability, I find it amusing that they're appointing literacy a scale that could be seen as "How many words can you put in to pad out your school essay?"

Yeah, some definitely are. Which is really a shame. No one who sees increasing length the same as "I have to pad out my posts" should be asking or participating in roleplays that ask for longer posts. It's less fun for them because it's clearly not their style, and it's less fun for those who like longer posts because they are probably making a sh*t job at making those posts.

Makes me remember the good old days where flashback sequences were common.

Let me just start in by saying this, as I read it a couple different times in the previous comments: LITERACY DOES NOT EQUAL WORD COUNT
(and this comes from someone who was RPing long, long before these silly labels ever popped up and became the meta)

I have seen multi-paragraph responses of utter garbage. I have read short stories that have taken time to read that would have been better spent scrubbing the toilet with a toothbrush. Juxtaposed to that, I have read and received posts that were short, but beautiful and eloquent descriptions that lit the imagination afire.

When relating to RT's, this is why you outline what kind of literacy you are looking for AS WELL as what kind of post length you expect.

Now that I got that out of the way, "literacy" is relative. What one person might consider mediocre writing might be absolutely wonderful to another. This is because the quality of writing is appraise by the reader. And as we should all be fully aware, everyone has different standards. Now, that's not to say that I don't think everyone should be able to appreciate a good story/writer. But sometimes a subject matter can be "too advanced" and it loses the reader. The writing might seem overdone or confusing to them because they can't keep up with it. Is it a failure on literacy? No. It's just not to their cup of tea, so to speak. I think everyone should agree that a three-liner post rife with grammar and punctuation mistakes is definitely NOT literate. But for those starting out (or comfortable with this style), someone who is very literate in their posting style might come off as snobbish, "trying too hard", or that they are "writing a novel". But as I said, you do not have to go on for 12,000 words to be considered literate. You can have literate writing in as little as a paragraph if need be.

A lone, blinking light was all that served to cast a dim glow across the cramped cockpit of a vagrant starship. The nearly inaudible buzz of the green diode permeated the otherwise cold silence in a slow rhythm: On... off... on... off...

Condensation spread itself in a layer of fine droplets that clung to the inside of the ferro-glass portal of the ship. The singular, electronic flicker reflected and refracted off of each individual globule of moisture. It cast a vision not unlike a microcosm to the infinite spread of stars glinting in the perpetual, black abyss that surrounded the spacecraft. In the deep outreach of space, time lost meaning. Life lost meaning. The birth and death of entire worlds were concurrent in the same blinding moment, and the softest breath was exhaled to the dying pulse of a supernova. One could find solace in that their existence meant nothing in the grand scope of creation and destruction.

So what IS literacy, then? Simply put: Literacy is being able to write not only technically well (grammar, punctuation, etc.), but also being able to encapsulate a scene and successfully envelope your audience in the imagery of what you are trying to describe. They should be painted a picture of the sights, the smells, the sounds, the emotion of what is going on. They should have a clear idea of the details of a scene. If the reader is left wanting on the notions of your setting and its subsequent actions, you are not doing a good job of achieving literate writing.

Last edited:
Let me just start in by saying this, as I read it a couple different times in the previous comments: LITERACY DOES NOT EQUAL WORD COUNT
(and this comes from someone who was RPing long, long before these silly labels ever popped up and became the meta)

I have seen multi-paragraph responses of utter garbage. I have read short stories of that have taken time to read that would have been better spent scrubbing the toilet with a toothbrush. Juxtaposed to that, I have read and received posts that were short, but beautiful and eloquent descriptions that lit the imagination afire.

When relating to RT's, this is why you outline what kind of literacy you are looking for AS WELL as what kind of post length you expect.

Now that I got that out of the way, "literacy" is relative. What one person might consider mediocre writing might be absolutely wonderful to another. This is because the quality of writing is appraise by the reader. And as we should all be fully aware, everyone has different standards. Now, that's not to say that I don't think everyone should be able to appreciate a good story/writer. But sometimes a subject matter can be "too advanced" and it loses the reader. The writing might seem overdone or confusing to them because they can't keep up with it. Is it a failure on literacy? No. It's just not to their cup of tea, so to speak. I think everyone should agree that a three-liner post rife with grammar and punctuation mistakes is definitely NOT literate. But for those starting out (or comfortable with this style), someone who is very literate in their posting style might come off as snobbish, "trying too hard", or that they are "writing a novel". But as I said, you do not have to go on for 12,000 words to be considered literate. You can have literate writing in as little as a paragraph if need be.

A lone, blinking light was all that served to cast a dim glow across the cramped cockpit of a vagrant starship. The nearly inaudible buzz of the green diode permeated the otherwise cold silence in a slow rhythm: On... off... on... off...

Condensation spread itself in a layer of fine droplets that clung to the inside of the ferro-glass portal of the ship. The singular, electronic flicker reflected and refracted off of each individual globule of moisture. It cast a vision not unlike a microcosm to the infinite spread of stars glinting in the perpetual, black abyss that surrounded the spacecraft. In the deep outreach of space, time lost meaning. Life lost meaning. The birth and death of entire worlds were concurrent in the same blinding moment, and the softest breath was exhaled to the dying pulse of a supernova. One could find solace in that their existence meant nothing in the grand scope of creation and destruction.

So what IS literacy, then? Simply put: Literacy is being able to write not only technically well (grammar, punctuation, etc.), but also being able to encapsulate a scene and successfully envelope your audience in the imagery of what you are trying to describe. They should be painted a picture of the sights, the smells, the sounds, the emotion of what is going on. They should have a clear idea of the details of a scene. If the reader is left wanting on the notions of your setting and its subsequent actions, you are not doing a good job of achieving literate writing.

Eloquently put with that use of bold AND caps. In a way it doesn't matter what you think it is if you're the only one using it that way. The fact is, people use it as a metric in place of word count. Maybe you don't, and that's fine. But most of the time it is used that way.

Whether it is or is not word count is besides the point. (I don't think it is/should be either, but Daisie's point about changing language has merit.)

And this is why it's a stupid term to describe an RP. No one can agree on exactly what it means. Until they can maybe those of us who use it should think of more descriptive terms for their interest checks.

Edit: Please note that Crow's question was "What is literate supposed to mean anymore?" not "What does literate actually mean."

Eloquently put with that use of bold AND caps. In a way it doesn't matter what you think it is if you're the only one using it that way. The fact is, people use it as a metric in place of word count. Maybe you don't, and that's fine. But most of the time it is used that way.

Whether it is or is not word count is besides the point. (I don't think it is/should be either, but Daisie's point about changing language has merit.)

And this is why it's a stupid term to describe an RP. No one can agree on exactly what it means. Until they can maybe those of us who use it should think of more descriptive terms for their interest checks.

This sentiment precisely.

As I said, an RT should outline both Length and Lit requisites. So as to avoid confusion. The more information you communicate, the less confusion there is to what you are expecting.

Agreed. This is a crude simplicity of what I just said. It is almost useless to use the term because everyone can have a different opinion of what literate even is. This term didn't even exist for the longest time in relation to RP requests, and you just asked for writing samples from partners/applicants. I use the term in my RTs to satisfy the meta, but I also provide and require writing samples to go with it.

Edit: Please note that Crow's question was "What is literate supposed to mean anymore?" not "What does literate actually mean."

I believe it still means what I outlined above, in relation to roleplays. What Literate literally means is:
Capture.JPG

This.

Literate means educated. Semi-literate = semi-educated/knowledgeable (in creative writing).

Did you actually read the first post.
yes, which is why I'm confused at this statement in the first place. Because that's what I was answering.

I'm guessing... or at least what I take away from the OP's initial question, is that they are new to the nomenclature. But "literate" in the RP community is synonymous with post quality. Meaning a better degree of checking for spelling and grammar mistakes, as well as doling out better descriptions, etc.

Whether you call it advanced vs casual or whatever... it's just semantics to the same idea of having levels of competency for writing. The labels just different from site to site.

I believe Grey Grey put it pretty aptly right off the bat. This topic comes up like clockwork. It is neither new, nor even obscure knowledge anymore that RPers use the word "literate" as a figurative expression. This to the means of post-style as per the nature of it's proficiency.

I prefer RP writers who get to the point. So quality over quantity.

Also, I like a few short paragraphs with the actions at the top of the paragraph. Descriptions/embellishments to follow. That way you can get the gist quickly.

It might be easier to write walls of text and actually say nothing at all.

I prefer RP writers who get to the point. So quality over quantity.

Also, I like a few short paragraphs with the actions at the top of the paragraph. Descriptions/embellishments to follow. That way you can get the gist quickly.

It might be easier to write walls of text and actually say nothing at all.
Writers are taught to speak profoundly in little words. Reason being that they may lose the attention of their audience if they drag on for too long on minor details with little variation to the actual thought.

I legit just wish that people understand that in literature "Less is more" and "Show don't tell" because people when they try to write detailed posts tend to become redundant.

Writers are taught to speak profoundly in little words. Reason being that they may lose the attention of their audience if they drag on for too long on minor details with little variation to the actual thought.

The only writer I let ramble on (and still love reading) is Stephen King like in The Stand or It. Big books, rambling, but still enjoyable.

Stephen King's short stories are PERFECT to me. Short stories in general, maybe it's my attention span.

I was reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman and WOW he takes too long to describe simple things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back