Viewpoint what evokes fear for you in a post?

Perpetual Zen

Pneumonia Sucks
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I'm putting this down as viewpoint because I know its different for everyone.
What evokes true fear for you when reading something?
For me, it's startling acts of reality. Anything I'm not ready for. Something that makes you put the book down and go, "Okay, that is really sad and disturbing that is a someone's reality."
Although, I'm writing an atmospheric role play and wanted some input. It's vampires in nature but you don't have to cater to that theme.

What evokes fear in you?

Just curious ; keep it rpn friendly <3

For myself, it would have to be when reading a part that builds the tension before something unexpected happens. Not a fear perse..

If I was reading about Vampires and Witcher would be a good example. Without spoiling, there is a Bruxa in the early books and when watching the Netflix - man that was intense. From setting the scene, to the moment it attacked. That got my adrenaline going

The most frightened I've gotten in my RPs has always been when my (or my partners) characters have pushed the bounds of what we expected them to. Characters really have a habit of taking on their own life and surprising you, which is awesome.

With my RPs in particular, the things that chill me most are generally something morally depraved. Most recently, it was my character, in the midst of his psychosis, becoming curious about what it's like to take a life, and hiring a PI to bring him info on who he intended to be his first victim.

The unexpected events that breathe on their own have always been the most terrifying. Characters you thought you knew going farther than you ever originally imagined.

I can't say I ever really get frightened of my own writing, but I always like writing atmospheric/liminal horror. The feeling that you're not alone in the woods, the paranoia creeping along the back of your neck when walking down an empty hallway, the strange way some architecture seems to repeat itself.

Never been afraid of your own writing? I have. But I mean, in a different sense. The research that goes into a really dark scene can be intrusive. I've been having some nightmares the past few nights because of my intense research. It's not that I'm scared in the moment but my subconscious and imagination when I'm asleep along with being creative. I've certainly been like ; wait a minute?! To some really horrific but creative things my mind thinks up when asleep and I input that in my writing. Yeah, can be scary because it's sort of a tangible reality. Like a memory

It really depends for me, since I enjoy horror. There's a difference between disturbing me in a way that's fun, and in a way that upsets me. If you're asking for what upsets me; it'd absolutely, yes, be something too close to reality. That's the kind of thing I'd have to walk off, and possibly talk to my rp partner about directing the scene away/maybe rewinding a bit/etc. etc.

If we're talking about the disturbances that I enjoy as a psychological horror fan though? It's a mix of fantastical and a little close to home. As often with horror, there's a pretty thin line between what upsets me and what I see as really well done horror. I love religious horror. I've thrown "my cult senses are tingling" in ooc chats and accidentally sniffed out a characters trauma way before I should have lol. Things like cults are a hit and miss, since I'm picky about how they're written, but I honestly find that people hurting people is a horror in of itself. On the "fantastical" end, I will never not find angelic/God-type entities terrifying in the best way possible. I'm a sucker for entities beyond human comprehension, infinitely more vast than we could ever dream of being, their very existence being something that would torment a human mind. I love writing cosmic horror, and wish I got the chance to write it more tbh. Give me the horror of infinity and how truly small we are :D

It really depends for me, since I enjoy horror. There's a difference between disturbing me in a way that's fun, and in a way that upsets me. If you're asking for what upsets me; it'd absolutely, yes, be something too close to reality. That's the kind of thing I'd have to walk off, and possibly talk to my rp partner about directing the scene away/maybe rewinding a bit/etc. etc.

If we're talking about the disturbances that I enjoy as a psychological horror fan though? It's a mix of fantastical and a little close to home. As often with horror, there's a pretty thin line between what upsets me and what I see as really well done horror. I love religious horror. I've thrown "my cult senses are tingling" in ooc chats and accidentally sniffed out a characters trauma way before I should have lol. Things like cults are a hit and miss, since I'm picky about how they're written, but I honestly find that people hurting people is a horror in of itself. On the "fantastical" end, I will never not find angelic/God-type entities terrifying in the best way possible. I'm a sucker for entities beyond human comprehension, infinitely more vast than we could ever dream of being, their very existence being something that would torment a human mind. I love writing cosmic horror, and wish I got the chance to write it more tbh. Give me the horror of infinity and how truly small we are :D
There has been a lot of great cosmic horror movies and shows coming out now which really inspire me with my writing
Like space and horror is just terrifying. Totally out of our control

Oooh... This is a good one.

These days, I'm a full-time GM when it comes to roleplaying and I really don't have any fears anymore. But I used to.

Back when I did more participating than GM'ing, my biggest fear was the first interaction between my character and another character whose personality and character traits were the polar opposites of my own. I didn't used to like conflict or turmoil within the group. So, I was always extremely anxious and nervous to either read their first response if my character started the interaction, or to write my response if their character started it.

These days I absolutely live for whatever drama I can squeeze out of every scene and will do all I can to milk it for all its worth before finally letting things resolve at the end.

Another fear I used to have is failure. Plain and simple. I used to be terrified that if I didn't put together the perfect post then I'd be seen as a bad role player and everyone would not want to RP with me (these days, as a jaded and grumpy old man I dun give a FUQ what other people think of my writing). It took me several years after starting my online roleplaying journey before I was comfortable in my own writing and stopped worrying about what other people thought.

Cheers!

- GojiBean

playing for a character who is a soldier really is a scary thing for me. i used to think that they are invincible and have nerves of steel, but they are just human. these things really affect people especially those who suffer from ptsd. it sickens me when i try to think of what they do and how desensitized they are to violence, but there are others who carry these as weights because of their conscience... although it's set in a fictional country, it's also a harsh reality that everyone is a victim and there are no winners in war :<

but hey, i get to know more about stuff, and i think that helps me understand it more.

I'm putting this down as viewpoint because I know its different for everyone.
What evokes true fear for you when reading something?
For me, it's startling acts of reality. Anything I'm not ready for. Something that makes you put the book down and go, "Okay, that is really sad and disturbing that is a someone's reality."
Although, I'm writing an atmospheric role play and wanted some input. It's vampires in nature but you don't have to cater to that theme.

What evokes fear in you?

Just curious ; keep it rpn friendly <3
when people find my address and say they are going to hurt me because I will not do this or that with them. that hasn't happened on rpnation but it has happened on Gaiaonline a few times. its the reason I left.

Another pet peeve is the editing update of posts to the top.

I will post to my forum.
People on other forums will post five minutes later.
Seven minutes later I noticed I misspelled a word.
I edit that post.
But instead of the five minute post being on top from the main web page, it shows my forum again for some reason. its annoying.

I have standards that I've set for myself when I post. Sometimes, I've reviewed a post that I did several postings ago and it doesn't seem quite right. I supposed I'm worried that I've contradicted myself. I did that once. I gave a character's friend's father a name, but when I mentioned the father character again, I called him something else. To help prevent another situation like this, I created a lore document to list all my character and place names and miscellaneous names pertaining to Josh Nakayama and his world. Anytime I come up with something, I add it to the lore sheet.

Another pet peeve is the editing update of posts to the top.

I will post to my forum.
People on other forums will post five minutes later.
Seven minutes later I noticed I misspelled a word.
I edit that post.
But instead of the five minute post being on top from the main web page, it shows my forum again for some reason. its annoying.
I think this is in the wrong thread

Being given a lackluster, one-liner post with nothing in it and wondering WTF I'm supposed to do with it!

Setting up a confrontation with another player, only for that player to suddenly change their mind and have their character do something completely different, which leaves my character (and me) alone in the dark, and again, I'm wondering WTF I'm supposed to do. For example, an interaction between myself and another player are building up to a huge fight between our PCs. My PC goes off to the agreed meeting place and I go into detail about their preparations and the feelings they're having as they wait for their enemy to show up. The other player changes their mind, has their character go do something else completely with no rhyme or reason behind it, and I'm left with a PC alone and stuck at the meeting spot, and I have to figure out what I'm going to have that character do then. Going, "Welp, they didn't show up. Sucks." is kind of lame.

It's situations like those where I tend to experience real stress while RPing.

Characters being attacked by bees/wasps, characters burning alive. I just can't really deal with those things. They give me cold chills and I can't really reply because then I'd have to actually imagine the situation, which would make it even worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back