What do you like about role play?

Noivian

Drinker of coffees
Helper
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
We all have our own reasons for coming here to role play. Tell me about them! Also, tell me what specifically about role plays makes them fun for you?

I personally role play to experience things I normally cannot experiece, ex. flying, superpowers... romances :U

I also find it super fun if role plays feature some kind of dice system/mechanics behind it. It just makes combat so much more organized and realistic. Of course, this isn't a requirement, but anything that has simple dice rules already has me hooked. 

Haha!

Looks like we've got quite a bit in common!

Some of your main reasons for liking RP-ing are mine as well! It's fun to experience things we can't normally experience!

Another reason is because it helps me develop my characters that I RP as. If I put them in situations that only an RP could, I can kinda get to know them better, and as such, WRITE them better. ^ ^ Even better if I make up my own RP and have others help contribute to a plot that, even though it isn't their main story and I'm RPing an alternate version of them, I'm still able to connect with them better, and that's my favorite part :3

A lot of it is the escapism from reality and my own personal way of coming to terms with facets of my life.

I went deep, oops. But there's a good reason why many of my own characters are touched with melancholia~

Immersion. Even back in the days when I was merely a war-gamer, I would always fantasize about how I would have felt like if I was down there with my troops. You get such a sense of euphoria when you start thinking like your characters and lose yourself. Also, the fun of creating something together while still retaining surprises here and there is nothing short of addictive. I guess you could call me a dopamine junkie.

to entertain myself since i am a loner pretty much ooc (not by choice lmao)

but also i like how it improves my writing, how its an escape. its very exciting to me.

RPing has kinda come full circle for me. I always enjoyed writing and started RPing in uni (when I should have been studying <_<) to indulge that interest.

Then I got serious about writing and dropped it to concentrate on novels. Now, almost 10 years later I've picked it up again because I missed the spontaneity of it. As much as i enjoy plotting out a book or a series in minute detail, just reacting to what another player has put is fun. It's by far the best solution to block I've found.

I role play because I have a lot of ideas and stories in my head that I want to see played out, but since I don't have the patience to actually write a book by myself and a one shot is not long enough for me to use all of my ideas, I needed to find another way to release my imagination. 

This is an unusual opinion, or at least I have not been able to find someone who shared this feeling, but my favorite part about RPing is actually brainstorming, planning and making character sheets. Basically it is 'before work' of RPing.  It actually causes some problems for me since I keep taking on more RPs just so I can do the planning part of it only to end up overwhelmed once the actual writing part comes into play. 

I like the opportunity to go on amazing adventures and grow with other people. Larger than life adventures. I've always been one to look at things around me and wonder how we can take an extra step, or experience things in a way that goes down to our very cores. I want that amazement, sense of journey, and intensity filled. That is what keeps me away from Realistic RPs, Lighthearted RPs, School RPs, and RPs with no risk of death. It also keeps me away from RPs that play it safe, cater to the player, and have no real story. I wouldn't mind my character beaten to within an inch of their life if it serves to teach them an important lesson. Even better if they have friends that come to lend their support and and walk the path forward with mine.

I've always been attracted to those grand adventures filled with heartache, victory, glory, struggle, learning, and growth. Having grand, prolonged adventures is a big no-no IRL, so I demand that from the RPs I play in. Most of these kinds are in the dice forum, but I am not a fan of dice, so I have a very serious dilemma right now.  :$

Stretching my creative muscles and coming up with fun new worlds and stories. Also the excuse to make friends that share similar interests to me.

Being able to live out my Fandom Ships live like the filthy basement dweller I am. But, honestly it's the same reason of being able to experience stories and ideas that I've never seen before in media and being half in charge of that. Collaborating with creative people like me and just watch our combined works make stuff that gets me as invested in it as any other movie or book or whatever.

Not exactly sure where I went with that but you know what I mean right?....right??

Tossing ideas back and forth with a partner who shares my love of creating something epic.

Also, roleplaying has helped me in my love of writing and character development. Most of all, it has challenged me to step out of my comfort zone.

Sometimes, I feel like I don't understand people as much as I should. Role-playing (and writing in general) lets me get into someone else's headspace for a while, and I genuinely think it's helped me become a more empathetic person. It's probably killed some of my ego, too, forcing myself to confront the fact that there's a world of people with their own thoughts and dreams and character just as nuanced as my own. I to try to experience that just a little bit through my characters.

I like roleplaying specifically because I get bored writing on my own. It's more fun to see what other people can come up with, too.

Other people might say 'it's fun', or 'I just love writing with other people', or 'it lets me get into different worlds and other people's heads and that's fun' and 'I like seeing what other people write as they write it'.

Y'know why I do it?

So I can be a prick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I like it when people who join make a commitment to the role play plot and the world at large, participating actively in both RP and OOC where you can maybe make friends.  

Being able to be someone different than myself is something I enjoy and a reason I role play, even though I don't have a lot RP wise I'm interested in and the reason I keep coming back to RP'ing, even if it seems hopeless when people drop out without notifying the GM/Mods of that RP.  

I roleplay because it is 

A) a way to get out of my own head, and into someone else's (my character)

B) to socialize (whether with other peoples characters, or them, whatever)

C) to help me become a better writer

I roleplay because it is 

A) a way to get out of my own head, and into someone else's (my character)

B) to socialize (whether with other peoples characters, or them, whatever)

C) to help me become a better writer

A & C for me too. I am told I frequently go off into my own head like JD in Scrubs. As for B, I guess I'm antisocial :P

@Tedronai I'm slightly shy and have social anxiety, and am introverted. It makes socializing with IRL people difficult, so I tend to use the internet to make friends and stuff.

I role play because I have a lot of ideas and stories in my head that I want to see played out, but since I don't have the patience to actually write a book by myself and a one shot is not long enough for me to use all of my ideas, I needed to find another way to release my imagination. 

I second this! Also....*bad sing-song voice* I want to show my characters to the world................

Sometimes, I feel like I don't understand people as much as I should. Role-playing (and writing in general) lets me get into someone else's headspace for a while, and I genuinely think it's helped me become a more empathetic person. It's probably killed some of my ego, too, forcing myself to confront the fact that there's a world of people with their own thoughts and dreams and character just as nuanced as my own. I to try to experience that just a little bit through my characters.

Seconded! I used to role-play to get out of my head, and now I use it to try and see other people's point of views.

The other thing I like about role-playing is the world-building and brainstorming aspect. One of my fondest memories of role-playing remain that one time when an rp partner and I role-played for seven hours straight because we got too caught up discussing the origin of labor rights and the condition of the working class in a Victorian England inspired setting; character interaction occurred for half the time period and the rest were spent world-building. 

It makes me excited to see what someone else will say, if that makes sense. Like the exciting part isn't writing out a whole thing, its what the other person is going to say in response to what I said. 

To create awesome characters and put them with other awesome characters in an awesome story. To have fun doing it.

It's that simple for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back