TV & Film What are the most cancerous fandoms you have ever seen?

Honestly i've seen quite a bit! Television & Film-wise i'd have to say Steven Universe (Shocker I know, I haven't even watched Steven Universe / Western animations and i've heard plenty of stories about how atrocious the fans are.)

Community wise?

YouTube - What's there to say about that? Only redeeming factor is they mainly make-up trolls and they're not any threat unless you're susceptible to cyber bullying and empty-handed death threats.
Gaming Community - As a whole, there is nothing more toxic. You make a game and it isn't up to someone's standards, you bet you're going to hear about it and if you do something someone else doesn't like there's been people who have deliberately gone out of their way to end people's careers because of an opinion! Although it isn't just developer side but toxicity towards one another which some examples may include but aren't limited to Swatting, Doxing, Hacking, Etc.. It's an absolute mess.

Honestly i've seen quite a bit! Television & Film-wise i'd have to say Steven Universe (Shocker I know, I haven't even watched Steven Universe / Western animations and i've heard plenty of stories about how atrocious the fans are.)

Community wise?

YouTube - What's there to say about that? Only redeeming factor is they mainly make-up trolls and they're not any threat unless you're susceptible to cyber bullying and empty-handed death threats.
Gaming Community - As a whole, there is nothing more toxic. You make a game and it isn't up to someone's standards, you bet you're going to hear about it and if you do something someone else doesn't like there's been people who have deliberately gone out of their way to end people's careers because of an opinion! Although it isn't just developer side but toxicity towards one another which some examples may include but aren't limited to Swatting, Doxing, Hacking, Etc.. It's an absolute mess.

About Youtube, it's depends where you are, i usually follow "little youtubers", the content and comments are usually better, for some of the biggest, people litteraly impersonnate them, proposing a marchandise they never own (and people fall for it very easily), so the more you avoid the big, the less you can be bothered.

about Gaming, i would add that people rarely accept other opinions from them, if i said why i dislike a game (and with reasons), either i am put into stupid long disputes, either it's solved in a number of hours.. i mean, as long as the person said politely why they like/dislike a game, it should be fine, why bothering to change a person mind?

I don't know about you lot, but I think the Voltron fanbase has gotten pretty fuckin toxic recently. I left the fanbase as soon as I heard that they were making Shiro gay, solely because I didn't want to be associated with what I knew was going to follow. And then it followed.
Look, lads, if you're upset about Shiro's boyfriend getting killed, that's fine. But it's no cause to send death threats to the show's creators because you're upset, saying that "your show was ruined and it's their fault." First off, it's not your show, it's their show. Second off, they can do whatever they want with their show, and if you don't like it, be damned.

The South Park fandom is an enigma. I know that on Tumblr there’s the Style vs. Kyman wars, and also the fact that most of the other community hates South Park fans. But I’m also in the Phone Destroyer Discord, which is kinda the opposite? Everyone’s kinda bitter because the game is going to shit, and people don’t really talk about ships at all unless it’s Creek since it’s canon.

The Star Wars fandom has astounded me with its toxicity lately. Attacking actors? Crying as if they personally shit on your childhood? I work in psychiatric care and many of the online presence of the fandom, at least, need to come to my work and figure out some of their issues.

Broad strokes these, but:
Gaming Not all games, not all gamers. But I've been queried too much on my key interest besides music, writing, and anime, like I need to vomit up my accolades or knowledge. Just to prove having girl parts isn't a hindrance to my capacities to slay in JRPGs. It gets tiring.

Same with anime. I love anime. Love, love, love, love. But I, again, don't want to have to defend my 20 years of watching it nor do I want to argue about which Waifu is top tier. It gets very irritating after a while.

If nerds want girls to like nerd things, many have a really, really, really weird way of showing it.

Well, any of em can be cancerous, but if I had to pick a few it’d be “Rick and Morty, Undertale, fnaf, Voltron and Star Wars”

Does saying any form of ANTI in a fandom is toxic. Because like I adore the Overwatch Fandom, but the antis within it are pure cancer and were so bad I couldn't even enjoy parts of the fandom / they killed parts of the fandom. Shit I'm trying to enjoy the DBH fandom (even though I've never seen nor played the game nor intend to) and like the antis in that are just stupid and disgusting.

Shit I think the worst part of fandoms are the "cries-pedo/incest-antis" who dub any type of family-AU as canon and then commences to scream pedo/incest to the shipper side of the fandom.

homestuck. as someone who used to read it, it was entertaining when i was thirteen and the fanart was neat. but god, some of the shit i remember the fans doing wasnt quite so entertaining, and is exactly the reason i left the fandom. that, and two fans/former friends of mine nearly drove me to suicide due to the damn thing

i like steven universe, but i cant go around talking about it due to the goddamn fandom. its a cute show with good representation, but im personally not looking to start a fist fight due to the fact that i dont like lapis and think that jasper has good potential as a character that just hasn't been tapped into yet. and then theres the sjw shit. i just dont get how people can feel so strongly about a fucking cartoon.

killing stalking, yet another decent manhwa ruined by the fujoshis. like, how can absolutely anyone think that killing stalking has a decent relationship, and desire something like that? isnt that like, the opposite of what its trying to portray? last i checked, i dont want my girlfriend to break my ankles and keep me chained up in the basement. its not even great by manga/manhwa standards... the art was nice, but the story was kinda hard to follow. it has been a couple years since i read any of it, maybe i should see whats going on again.

i cant even with voltron. watched one episode with my siblings, something that ended with a cow? seemed cute, but definitely not my kind of thing. thank god, because i couldn't handle having any association with that fandom. pidge was the one character that seemed interesting to me and i hope shes doing okay in the recent seasons, im still not watching.

I honestly try not to acknowledge the bad parts of the fandoms I enjoy and look at the good! One fandom I could never get into due to the toxicity of it, however, is My Little Pony. I thought the show was really cute, and some of the characters were cool, but the fandom can be so atrocious that I didn't even want to associate myself with it for the longest time. Killing Stalking was something I could never enjoy. It always made me a little anxious and too uncomfortable to enjoy it, and the fandom enjoying it for all the wrong reasons drove me even farther away. Steven Universe is something I really, really enjoy, but the shipping wars and amount of horrible people in the fandom just hurts too bad. I can't talk about it without someone trying to force me to list my ships. Maybe I'd rather not ship them? Why don't you just enjoy the show for what it is and stop trying to force something that won't happen? The Gorillaz fandom is something I come face to face with often, and as much as I absolutely stan Gorillaz, some of the fans are really gross. Especially the shippers of a certain toxic/abusive relationship. Ahem!

Cuphead is my favorite fandom tied with Gorillaz! It's the one I have the most roleplay story and time put into though, and I'd have to say I hate the Cuphead fandom the most. Take pedophilia, abuse, incest, and sexualizing gay relationships. Ball it into one fandom, and you've got the Cuphead fandom! Don't get me wrong! I really love Cuphead! But the fandom is so sickeningly bad that I can't even go onto DeviantArt to search for things. It's really gross how people have to ship the first things they see. Including literal kids. Or obviously toxic combinations. Or just things that really shouldn't be shipped. I guess this went for the Undertale fandom too in it's prime! There was a LOT of that, and it made me just as sick.

I guess you could say any fandom has the potential to be cancer. If it can be sexualized or shipped, there's always the chance. It's really sad that that's what it comes to, but yeah. You just have to remember that there's always the nice parts of a fandom! Fan projects, gorgeous art, nice roleplayers, and basically anything positive and. Not disgusting!

Dunno if it really counts but I find Tumblr itself as a whole to be...problematic. I've been with the website for 8 years now; it used to be a fun place for fandom stuff, but man it has changed.... Doesn't matter which fandom on that website. It's all a cesspool. With some clean, elevated sections, sure, but the majority appears to be in a constant state of rabid.

• Practically any anime series, being honest. Gundam definitely has an annoying group, I'd wager it would be the SEED and IBO fans. They can get so annoying sometimes, and then they ask you why won't you give the series a chance.
  • Steven Universe and Rick and Morty. Unsurprisingly, if you have a decent formula and a good watchbase, it's a recipe for a fandom disaster.

• They're not super toxic like some other fandoms, but JoJo's Bizarre Adventure fans really grate on my nerves. They seem to have some primal instinct to bring it up every chance they get. In this day and age, you can't draw a character posing without them crawling out of the woodworks. And even if the thing they're claiming is a reference isn't actually a reference, they keep talking about it at length.
  • The Undertale fandom is nowhere near as cringey as it was when the game was released, but I saw somebody post an extremely bad take on Tumblr that ruined my self-image forever, so I kinda have a grudge against them for that.
  • Any fandom that's super high in fujoshis. They're probably a big part of the reason why most LGBT characters you see are female.
Also, while I'm here, can somebody explain why people say the MLP fandom is cancerous? I used to be sort of a brony, but I only ever interacted with the rest of the fanbase on a few forums, and I've seen wildly different opinions of them from several different people.

Tbh each fandom has it's cancerous and good parts.

Most cancerous? There's quite a few candidates. A lot of the anime fandom is definitely cancerous. Especially the serious weeaboos/lolicons. The FNAF fandom is generally awful and hated, although I used to be really invested into those games because I found the story interesting as hell. The overwatch fandom is 95% horrible cancer and toxicity. And finally the Undertale fandom. Man, do I love the game Undertale. I mean love it. But it's fandom is something I shall not speak of. Then again, the fanbase of any online game is cancer and toxic. (Siege, LoL, Dota, CS:GO, etc...)

For games: Undertale and Five Nights at Freddie's are close contenders for this, can't decide which one was worse at their peaks

For movies/books: Harry Potter

There hasn't been a fandom that I have been a part of that hasn't had a fair share of gnognards in it.

For games: Undertale and Five Nights at Freddie's are close contenders for this, can't decide which one was worse at their peaks

For movies/books: Harry Potter

Why Harry Potter? I have always perceived it as a beautiful fandom (with minor exceptions that exist in every fandom)

Fortnite: See Fortnite youtubers and their fanbase.

PUBG: They think they stand on this "pedestal of truth" for playing the "better battle royale" , but don't you dare say there are better BR games than PUBG otherwise you WILL be insulted... a lot.. and probably be called a fornite player.

Welcome to online multiplayer games.

You should try Rainbow Six Siege. It's infinitely better and will forever. shameless.advertising.exe
also I didn't know I was agreeble

Dude. No. I won't touch that with a ten-foot pole. Do you know how many rape threats my other half gets the second she opens her Mic? Gets team killed because how dare a girl play this game? And you guys wonder why you can't have 'gamer girl friends'?

So far, I'd say the BTS ARMY. Sure not all of them are bad, but a ton of them are incredibly toxic for several reasons.

• They hate people who don't like BTS.
• They are literally EVERYWHERE.
• They relate everything to BTS.
• They are rude towards other groups.
• They are overly sensitive.
• They only value BTS.

I swear, if I see another ARMY on a comment section in a completely unrelated video on YouTube, squealing about their beloved boyband or asking about if there are any other ARMYs with them, it would be too soon.

• MLP. I used to like this show a very long time ago, just cause it was cute, colorful, and managed to kinda cheer me up when I was having a hard time. But the fans were everywhere and they were so bad that I gave up. I can't stand it now.
  • Undertale. Man, I loved that game, and I still kinda like it, but the fandom... I was always so afraid to tell people I even liked the game because I didn't want to be lumped in with those fans sexualizing a skeleton and shipping him with AU versions of himself and his brother. I made intense efforts to distance myself from the fans and only enjoy the game itself, but I got so tired of it... I haven't touched anything Undertale-related in a long time.
  • Lots of anime in general. I still love anime, dang it, but I'm always so nervous to let people know that. Not only is there a lot of garbage anime out there, but even the best series have horrendous fans. Fujoshis and weebs run rampant...
Every fandom is going to have some creeps in it, but just from personal experience, I feel like these ones are the fandoms with the highest amount of very, very vocal weirdos.

Last edited:
Why Harry Potter? I have always perceived it as a beautiful fandom (with minor exceptions that exist in every fandom)
I mean, I guess you could argue that it was pretty annoying back in like 2009 when it was really really popular, but now it's sort of mellowed out now that it isn't as much in the spotlight anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back