Other What are some things you used to hate that you now enjoy?

CrowOuttaHell

Skull-Faced Writer
If you're like me, we've all had those moments. One day you're declaring that you don't like this certain thing, you hate this certain thing, you refuse to listen to this certain music/song, you don't wanna see this character anymore...and then the next day you're suddenly looking up fanart, or looking up songs, or downloading albums, or collecting this thing; you get the deal. What are some things that you used to hate that you can now enjoy?

Personally, I have a few of my own.

- J-Pop - Didn't like the genre or the sound before, save for a few like GARNiDELiA and Koda Kumi. Never used to follow idol music either because of how shady the industry can get sometimes. Eventually though, I ended up following Pyxis (an idol duo formed by two voice actresses) due to both of them being in a series I follow, and I ended up thinking that it didn't sound that bad. Wouldn't blare it in public because of how much foreign songs are looked down upon where I live, but I can enjoy J-Pop in my own time. I still regularly listen to Miku Ito's PopSkip album admittedly.

- J-Rap - I didn't exactly hate J-Rap, but I did denounce all forms of rap in general when I was young. If you follow the Utaite scene (online Japanese singers), the first Japanese rapper I really liked was nqrse. What really cemented my decision to start giving J-Rap a chance was the Hypnosis Microphone series, which is all about voice actors participating in rap battles. I find that it's a lot less vulgar and extreme than some rap songs in the West. I've started branching out from just Utaite and HypMic to try and give actual Japanese rappers a chance and I can personally recommend KEN THE 390 if anyone wants to look into the genre.

- Happy-go-lucky characters - I personally blame this character. When I used to be an edgy roleplayer I had a sort of distaste for characters that were always so happy without having any sort of tragic backstory behind them as to why they act happy. But then after a while I realized that they're usually the characters that can, you know-- interact. Plus, it's always nice to have a happy-go-lucky friend IRL. They're easy to enjoy on their own without looking far too deep into their psyche or their backstory and I think that's a plus.

- Characters that are out of your comfort zone - When I was a kid, I absolutely only portrayed smug rich kids as evil people who needed to be taken down a peg by the underdog protagonist. Years later, I did make a smug rich protagonist instead and found that it's very, very fun to write her and the fact that she has a different backstory than the underdog characters I used to write that she can also do a lot more, like take part in business and be more on the professional side. Same goes for characters who are evil for the sake of evil. Not every villain needs to be redeemable.

Those are just a few of my own that I can name off the top of my head. What about yours?

I used to hate listening to old songs, like queen for example. Now, I'm hooked, I don't know why I haven't started listening to them in the first place

Aye yi yi... If there's one drink I hated but now love is egg nog
Ima be honest, I have tried egg nog.

Eggnog is bliss. Whenever the holidays roll around, I always buy a carton or a gallon here and there and drink it that day. Probably shouldn't drink it all that fast, but I can't get enough eggnog in my life when no one around here likes it besides me. Just like McDonalds custard pies they have around the holidays, too, but at least I know people like them.

I'm going to have to try it someday, but it was never a tradition in my family so I never bothered. We're Italian, so we just put sambuca in our espresso lmao.

To be honest, I can see why some people don't like eggnog because, yes, it does have a distinct taste and texture. Still good, though. Not sure how much it'd be around where you live, but it tends to be pretty cheap for me (paid a $1 for a half gal). Though that's probably because the good name brand stuff is made locally around these parts so its easier to get.

Some places do. Just did a quick google and found a place that has it in stock. Though I could be wrong and that's just left over from Christmas they're trying to get rid of (which then again it's been a month since Christmas so I imagine it'd probably be outdated by now if that were the case, I suppose. There's always homemade eggnog you can try, though I haven't tried my luck at making my own eggnog just yet.

1. Pink. I used to hate pink because everyone did and it was regarded as girly and childish. Now I see something pink and I automatically buy it. Even my prom dress was a dusty pink. For me it’s a symbol of femininity, strength and calm.

2. Twilight. Honestly it’s so bad it’s actually good.

Was definitely surprised to wake up and see all the comments on this thread!

I hated Bleach for years until I loved it. XD

I don't think I ever got into any shounen anime due to them being extremely overplayed where I live. 😅 Any reason why you started liking it?

I used to hate listening to old songs, like queen for example. Now, I'm hooked, I don't know why I haven't started listening to them in the first place

We've all got a music group/genre we used to hate but now can't stop listening to. I've come to terms at this point that I like edgy songs and bands like Skillet and Set It Off myself. XD

Wine! Definitely.

Wish I had as much fortitude as you to like alcohol. I had a nightmare about getting drunk just last night. Was an experience to say the least. XD

Eggnog is bliss. Whenever the holidays roll around, I always buy a carton or a gallon here and there and drink it that day. Probably shouldn't drink it all that fast, but I can't get enough eggnog in my life when no one around here likes it besides me. Just like McDonalds custard pies they have around the holidays, too, but at least I know people like them.

I'm lowkey jealous of everyone who's drank eggnog at least at some point in this thread. We don't exactly have eggnog where I live and it's not really a staple here. Eggnog is a brand of sweet, cookie-like chips where I am. 😅

1. Pink. I used to hate pink because everyone did and it was regarded as girly and childish. Now I see something pink and I automatically buy it. Even my prom dress was a dusty pink. For me it’s a symbol of femininity, strength and calm.

2. Twilight. Honestly it’s so bad it’s actually good.

You've nailed my thoughts on Twilight...even though I still can't stand it as anything more than to meme about. Same with a lot of stories and films that fall into the category of "it's so bad that it's good". The Room for example. XD

Aww! I used to hate myself so much until I decided to lose weight at the end of 2018. Now that I've lost 20kg, I'm definitely loving myself, for probably the first time ever.

Congratulations! I'm glad you're feeling better about yourself nowadays. Felt the same way when I hit a pretty rough spot in uni just a couple of semesters back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back