What are awesome names to name your OC’s?

I usually start by looking into the culture I am basing them out of. For example if the culture I am making the people of a nation are based around Italian, I look into common Italian names associated with the time period I am basing everything around. I usually don't just go with the names I find, however, and twist them to have my own little twang.

Depends on the character. Generally speaking I'd go for a name that fits them rather than one that is awesome.

When naming a character some things to think about are:
Character's culture
Character's social class/background
Character's gender
Character's species
Who named the character and why (parents, coming of age name, name they picked themselves)
Name sound (to fit character's image)
Name meaning (I put this last because it can be counter-productive to give your character a meaningful name sometimes)

I rarely choose names based on meaning. It's not like parents are choosing names to match the traits of their child since parents would not know what their child is like until they're older.

I rarely choose names based on meaning. It's not like parents are choosing names to match the traits of their child since parents would not know what their child is like until they're older.

I think names based on meaning can be trite, but there are times when it makes good sense to use them, for example if your characters culture often chooses names based on meaning, maybe for their image e.g. Flower names, or for their wish for the child e.g. Patience, Verity etc. Also if your character chose that name or it's a nickname based on their achievements. (Ulrich Bearslayer cos he slew a bear perhaps)

Robin Hobb has hella fun with meaning names. One character called prince Chivalry noted for sleeping around and having a bastard son...

Naming your character Bloodraven Nightbringer however is not cool unless it's a parody. XD

I think names based on meaning can be trite, but there are times when it makes good sense to use them, for example if your characters culture often chooses names based on meaning, maybe for their image e.g. Flower names, or for their wish for the child e.g. Patience, Verity etc. Also if your character chose that name or it's a nickname based on their achievements. (Ulrich Bearslayer cos he slew a bear perhaps)

Robin Hobb has hella fun with meaning names. One character called prince Chivalry noted for sleeping around and having a bastard son...

Naming your character Bloodraven Nightbringer however is not cool unless it's a parody. XD

Yea it depends on context for sure. Like, for example it has always bothered me that the werewolf, Remus Lupin, has a name that essentially means "wolf wolf".

Yea it depends on context for sure. Like, for example it has always bothered me that the werewolf, Remus Lupin, has a name that essentially means "wolf wolf".

Yeah, I mean, Harry Potter is full of what I would consider trite naming. (And that's the least of my complaints about it tbh XD )

I go to Fantasy name generator. They can help provide names and descriptions for just about any setting and character type.
It will generate 10 names at a time. Sometimes it's just a first name. Others it's a first and last name. I cycle through until I like the sound of one.

YAAAAAAAAAS!

That's my go to site too, haha.

I do this for fantasy names.

Like the family will give every child a flower name or a name starting with “E” or meaning raven etc.

So it has nothing to do with the child’s actual personality or accomplishments just a tradition within their bloodline,

Or sometimes for “realistic” roleplay I do what real parents do, I choose meanings based on what I believe the family would WANT the kid to embody.

Okay, okay, hear me out.

Roll a 6-sided-dice. Whatever it lands on gives you your consonants.

I got a 3. So, 3 consonants.

Find a letter generator.

I got V, D, and Q.

Now, add some vowels to give some sound.

Qedvel

Q without U is (in my experience) generally pronounced K

So Kedvel.

If you wanna add some flair, apostrophes are great.

Ke'Vel

Continue tweaking until you like the way it sounds.

Kae'Val

Ki'Val

Kee'Val

Kii'Val

Kii'Val is whoever this poor sod's (gestures vaguely to one of my thousands of unnamed OCs) new name is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back