What are awesome names to name your OC’s?

Go to any of the countless baby name sites or random name generators. Loads of stuff comes up so eventually you will settle on something you like.

I usually scour baby naming websites until I find a name that I like. I'm also fond of naming my OCs after nature (especially flowers), referencing colors, or names typically assigned to the opposite gender. Either way, I have preference to use names that I can't easily connect back to someone that I know in real life. So, for that reason, I sometimes tend to choose unusual or completely non-existing names altogether. This is not, however, always the case.

Depends on the character. Generally speaking I'd go for a name that fits them rather than one that is awesome.

When naming a character some things to think about are:
Character's culture
Character's social class/background
Character's gender
Character's species
Who named the character and why (parents, coming of age name, name they picked themselves)
Name sound (to fit character's image)
Name meaning (I put this last because it can be counter-productive to give your character a meaningful name sometimes)

I just think of the first ten words that come to mind when I think of the character concept and work from there. Some routes involve names with the meaning of those words, famous figures who accomplished similar actions to the characters, so on.

I mostly use various placeholder names, though I occasionally use names of historical figures I like.

Try to add your own twist to names you already like, such as Leyla (Leia) or Bastian (Sebastian). If you don’t like to look through countless of names on baby name sites, Pinterest has tons of great ideas, too.

Ultimately, you could play with random words in google translate. My favourite languages to use are Scots Gaelic, Latin and Norwegian.

I usually scour baby naming websites until I find a name that I like. I'm also fond of naming my OCs after nature (especially flowers), referencing colors, or names typically assigned to the opposite gender. Either way, I have preference to use names that I can't easily connect back to someone that I know in real life. So, for that reason, I sometimes tend to choose unusual or completely non-existing names altogether. This is not, however, always the case.
oh i really like flower names, i have an old dragon character named Hibiscus

These are some of the names of my OCs that I personally love!

Tally Huntington
Bangta Signy
Ida Lucija
Beck Felton
Geir Valaam
Salem Edina
Corwin Thane
Eva Lieslot

Ambrose Montgomery is my favorite name of all my OCs. It is so white man it hurts, But Something about it just tickles me pink!

These are some of the names of my OCs that I personally love!

Tally Huntington
Ambrose Montgomery
Bangta Signy
Ida Lucija
Beck Felton
Geir Valaam
Salem Edina
Corwin Thane
Eva Lieslot

i really gotta make last names more lol what i usually do is just throw a word in as one and then leave it, like my characters Leopa Card and Fox Twilight

i really gotta make last names more lol what i usually do is just throw a word in as one and then leave it, like my characters Leopa Card and Fox Twilight

Yeah last names have always been a thing I've done with my OCs. I mostly use name generators and then pick two that I feel flow together nicely.

Yeah last names have always been a thing I've done with my OCs. I mostly use name generators and then pick two that I feel flow together nicely.
what i do when naming characters is i make a general personality, then design, then a name, then more personality, then change the design based off of the new personality and name, so i guess theres a lot of steps in mine

what i do when naming characters is i make a general personality, then design, then a name, then more personality, then change the design based off of the new personality and name, so i guess theres a lot of steps in mine

I don't put that much thought into it. I just go "ooooo i like that name" and then I use it.

lol, i like putting a lot of thought into my characters, probably too much

I think most people do. I don't. I only make characters if there is a story for them and I only develop them so long as I am playing them. If RP them or write a story for them, they don't get developed. I don't enjoy making characters for the sake of making characters the appeal is completely beyond me.

I'm also someone who doesn't even really like character profiles. Like Tally, Amrbose, Bangta, Beck are all characters I've played for 3+ years in a single RP and I've never actually written a profile for any of them . . . and that is something some people do not understand! XD

I think most people do. I don't. I only make characters if there is a story for them and I only develop them so long as I am playing them. If RP them or write a story for them, they don't get developed. I don't enjoy making characters for the sake of making characters the appeal is completely beyond me.

I'm also someone who doesn't even really like character profiles. Like Tally, Amrbose, Bangta, Beck are all characters I've played for 3+ years in a single RP and I've never actually written a profile for any of them . . . and that is something some people do not understand! XD
lol i actually tend to make random characters just to use later on as a kinda character base. for that i dont make a background or relationships, its mainly just base personality, a couple name options or just one, and an editable appearance

CheshireMitsu CheshireMitsu Yeah I don't get the appeal. Lots of people do it, I just don't get it. Making OCs just because or to use later is the crossfit of RPing! IMO! XD

oh i really like flower names, i have an old dragon character named Hibiscus
Flower names are the way to go. I have all sorts of characters named after plants or flowers. Dahlia, Iris, Lavender, and so on. I'm currently playing a character named Sage too.

Flower names are the way to go. I have all sorts of characters named after plants or flowers. Dahlia, Iris, Lavender, and so on. I'm currently playing a character named Sage too.
now im just thinking about how someone can make some weird names from plants... baobab

art by
arithm

Wᴀʀʀᴇɴ Bᴜʀɴs

(he/him)

ʙᴜɢʙᴇᴀʀ ʙᴀʀᴅs ᴡɪᴛʜ
ʙᴀɴᴊᴏs ʏ'ᴀʟʟ

'Old money' and dark academia themed names are my absolute favorites!

♡design by rabbitswarren, coded by uxie♡

Users who are viewing this thread

Back