Idea Weapons and Powers

Martin Randy

So I've been working on a project where I create weapons for OCs in a fantasy setting. Here are the rules for each weapon:

1. The weapon can be anything (guns, sword, spears, etc...)
2. The weapon should be somewhat practical (no a sword the size of a house doesn't count). Some mechanism which powers the weapon is allowed.
3. The weapon grants the user two powers, the user can use this freely in combat.

Here's some I've come up with:
1. Deathbringer :
A sword which can cut through human flesh. The blade is tipped with poison that intensifies bleeding. The sword can be folded into itself such that it's blade is shorter, allowing it to be wielded like a knife. The sword also conceals a small pistol on its handle which can fire poison darts that pierce through the skin and leave almost no trace.

The sword's first power allows the user to turn invisible for a few seconds. This power also amplifies their capabilities while they're invisible, giving them the ability to track someone who's bleeding, and to move quicker.

The sword's second power allows the user to momentarily slow down time for a few seconds, but the longer the user does this, the more damage they inflict upon themselves.

2. Kiss of Death:
An umbrella which can be used as a shield, and a baton. The umbrella hides a short sword in its handle, and also a gun barrel at its tip. The umbrella can be used like a sniper rifle
to fire small needle like projectiles that can pierce through almost anything.

The umbrella's first power allows the user to weaken anyone they hit with the umbrella. Weakness manifests as heaviness, limpness, numbness and eventually unconsciousness if hit for too long.

The umbrella's second power allows the user to perform the equivalent of a lifesteal on anyone they touch. Unlike the first power, this one actually has the potential to kill the victim on it's own.

I wanna know a) what you guys think, and b) any other weapon/power ideas.

A) What I Think

So I've been working on a project where I create weapons for OCs in a fantasy setting
If this means you create weapons for other people's OCs then that's not quite my cup of tea to be honest. I like to be able to customize my own stuff and go with my own ideas, especially when it comes to such character-defining and central aspects of a roleplay as special abilities can be (not because a character is in any way just their powers or that powers are necessarily the fundament for the character, but because they are a big factor of the appeal of the roleplay and often of the character). To get told to instead of coming up with my shtick that I have to use what you tell me to would be a huge turn-off for me.

If it means you're just creating stuff for yourself...well, then I don't have much to say.

1. The weapon can be anything (guns, sword, spears, etc...)
2. The weapon should be somewhat practical (no a sword the size of a house doesn't count). Some mechanism which powers the weapon is allowed.
3. The weapon grants the user two powers, the user can use this freely in combat.

Why? What's the common thread between these weapons?

A sword which can cut through human flesh. The blade is tipped with poison that intensifies bleeding. The sword can be folded into itself such that it's blade is shorter, allowing it to be wielded like a knife. The sword also conceals a small pistol on its handle which can fire poison darts that pierce through the skin and leave almost no trace.

The sword's first power allows the user to turn invisible for a few seconds. This power also amplifies their capabilities while they're invisible, giving them the ability to track someone who's bleeding, and to move quicker.

The sword's second power allows the user to momentarily slow down time for a few seconds, but the longer the user does this, the more damage they inflict upon themselves.
The design honestly sounds like a deviantart OC's description, in the sense that it seems like you're just jamming a bunch of stuff and mashing it together not because it makes any sense or legitimately adds much to the thing, but out of indecision or try to cover for weaknesses that a well-designed weapon should have. Since this is fantasy I think we can ignore the mechanisms that probably couldn't seemlessly go together like this, but the little "also segment" is quite jarring description wise.

The first ability is not one ability it's multiple. When I review character abilities one question I ask is "can you describe the effect as one thing in one simple sentence?", because if you can't then it's not just one power. Now this is probably the case of the ability not actually being what you say it is, and more that it puts you in a state of invisibility, tracking powers, and quick motion (and other enhanced abilities I guess), which honestly sounds like it would set a bad precendent (because it effectively means you can shove a number of things as just one ability) but it could work.

The second power....I think even some of the most distracted GMs would probably stop it at the gates, I think maybe it could work if it was made more concrete. Like if slowing time isn't basically stopping time then I guess it's borderline acceptable. I would probably ask that you make what exact damage is being caused.

As you can tell by now, I'm really not a fan of this weapon. It simply tries to do too much, to the point of almost breaking the rules you set up save for a very generuous outlook to it, and the last ability lets you do something utterly broken for an arbitrary cost. I'm sorry for the harsh words, but frankly I think this is the best way I could put it.

2. Kiss of Death:
An umbrella which can be used as a shield, and a baton. The umbrella hides a short sword in its handle, and also a gun barrel at its tip. The umbrella can be used like a sniper rifle
to fire small needle like projectiles that can pierce through almost anything.

The umbrella's first power allows the user to weaken anyone they hit with the umbrella. Weakness manifests as heaviness, limpness, numbness and eventually unconsciousness if hit for too long.

The umbrella's second power allows the user to perform the equivalent of a lifesteal on anyone they touch. Unlike the first power, this one actually has the potential to kill the victim on it's own.
Again, the weapon is trying to be everything at once, but at least this time it's something kind of makes sense in terms of mechanism and design. The powers are definitely a lot better too, if still quite vague. I notice a slight mismatch of theme here though, the kind you'd find in something like a comedy. There's a jarring contrast between the aesthetic of an umbrella and hitting people with it as the trigger for the abilities, plus the sort of abilities they are.

B) A Weapon of My Own

Without knowing much the purpose nor process behind it, it's hard to conjure up something fitting or know what to provide, but since I criticized the weapons you made, I think crating one of my own (as a counter example if nothing else) is only fair.

Archery Harvest
As the name would imply, the weapon in question is a bow. The string is made of a rather elastic steel, being thus able to withstand a massive stretch without breaking.

For it's first ability, the bow is capable of turning any non-living thing into an arrow which, once shot from it, multiplies and converts back into the original. For instance if one were to place a sword touching the bow, the bow would turn the sword into an arrow. Shooting that arrow, it would create a swarm of itself, each of which would return to the original state of being that sword, thus resulting in a rain of swords. The original use, however, was to shower a starving city in fresh bread.

The second ability allows the user to predict the path of transforming potential energy in the near future, effectively allowing them to perfectly aim their shots with the bow and predict incoming attacks.

Well, hope this feedback and small contribution to the weapons helps. Best of luck and happy Rping!

[Class=textMain] margin:auto; max-width: 650px; text-align: left; line-height:155%; [/class] [DIV class=textMain]
Just to expand upon what Idea Idea already said,

---

It is difficult to keep track of different powers, weapons and abilities of each character in a group roleplay. Simpler stuff is always more memorable.

You've described a poisonous gun-blade that can transform into a knife with the powers of invisibility and time-control. Why not just make it a a poisonous gun-blade ? It is plenty. Or why not settle for a simple sword but with one unusual power? For example.

It is a jet-black sword that slows down time, but only for those cut down by it. A tiny snick feels like an eternity of metal gnawing at your skin.

That sounds like something from an anime. Let me try this again,

An invisible knife. It is coated with lethal poison.

That's plenty! Think about the things you could do with an invisible knife. And what if you drop it? Aye? The point is that giving players less will tickle their imagination way more than just showering them with unchecked superpowers and RWBY style weapon contraptions. In my opinion anyway.[/DIV]

Last edited:
edit. Pardon. Late night, bad word choices. Ultimately these things are just personal preference and you should do things the way you like. My thoughts are just a different perspective on what is essentially the same thing ^ ^

edit. Pardon. Late night, bad word choices. Ultimately these things are just personal preference and you should do things the way you like. My thoughts are just a different perspective on what is essentially the same thing ^ ^
Yeah it's all good. I don't take it personally.

A) What I Think

If this means you create weapons for other people's OCs then that's not quite my cup of tea to be honest. I like to be able to customize my own stuff and go with my own ideas, especially when it comes to such character-defining and central aspects of a roleplay as special abilities can be (not because a character is in any way just their powers or that powers are necessarily the fundament for the character, but because they are a big factor of the appeal of the roleplay and often of the character). To get told to instead of coming up with my shtick that I have to use what you tell me to would be a huge turn-off for me.

If it means you're just creating stuff for yourself...well, then I don't have much to say.

Why? What's the common thread between these weapons?

The design honestly sounds like a deviantart OC's description, in the sense that it seems like you're just jamming a bunch of stuff and mashing it together not because it makes any sense or legitimately adds much to the thing, but out of indecision or try to cover for weaknesses that a well-designed weapon should have. Since this is fantasy I think we can ignore the mechanisms that probably couldn't seemlessly go together like this, but the little "also segment" is quite jarring description wise.

The first ability is not one ability it's multiple. When I review character abilities one question I ask is "can you describe the effect as one thing in one simple sentence?", because if you can't then it's not just one power. Now this is probably the case of the ability not actually being what you say it is, and more that it puts you in a state of invisibility, tracking powers, and quick motion (and other enhanced abilities I guess), which honestly sounds like it would set a bad precendent (because it effectively means you can shove a number of things as just one ability) but it could work.

The second power....I think even some of the most distracted GMs would probably stop it at the gates, I think maybe it could work if it was made more concrete. Like if slowing time isn't basically stopping time then I guess it's borderline acceptable. I would probably ask that you make what exact damage is being caused.

As you can tell by now, I'm really not a fan of this weapon. It simply tries to do too much, to the point of almost breaking the rules you set up save for a very generuous outlook to it, and the last ability lets you do something utterly broken for an arbitrary cost. I'm sorry for the harsh words, but frankly I think this is the best way I could put it.

Again, the weapon is trying to be everything at once, but at least this time it's something kind of makes sense in terms of mechanism and design. The powers are definitely a lot better too, if still quite vague. I notice a slight mismatch of theme here though, the kind you'd find in something like a comedy. There's a jarring contrast between the aesthetic of an umbrella and hitting people with it as the trigger for the abilities, plus the sort of abilities they are.

B) A Weapon of My Own

Without knowing much the purpose nor process behind it, it's hard to conjure up something fitting or know what to provide, but since I criticized the weapons you made, I think crating one of my own (as a counter example if nothing else) is only fair.

Archery Harvest
As the name would imply, the weapon in question is a bow. The string is made of a rather elastic steel, being thus able to withstand a massive stretch without breaking.

For it's first ability, the bow is capable of turning any non-living thing into an arrow which, once shot from it, multiplies and converts back into the original. For instance if one were to place a sword touching the bow, the bow would turn the sword into an arrow. Shooting that arrow, it would create a swarm of itself, each of which would return to the original state of being that sword, thus resulting in a rain of swords. The original use, however, was to shower a starving city in fresh bread.

The second ability allows the user to predict the path of transforming potential energy in the near future, effectively allowing them to perfectly aim their shots with the bow and predict incoming attacks.

Well, hope this feedback and small contribution to the weapons helps. Best of luck and happy Rping!
Thanks for your feedback.

Soo the first weapon already got a lot of comment, so I will try on the umbrella.

Firstly the weapon form. The umbrella is a shield, a baton, a rifle, a sword sheath, and... well, an umbrella. If a weapon like this is made, it's probably a self-defense weapon made specifically to the request of a person. Not a lot of people can use the weapon effectively, really.

From just the weapon forms, swordsmanship, marksmanship, then proficiency with shield and blunt weapon. The type of person that will use it is probably a jack of all trade, master of none.

The power of the weapon determines the kind of person that will use it. Now, the power advocates for prolonged battle, so a jack-of-all-trade fighter whose style is to exhaust the opponent before going in for the kill. Feasible. If the user is not the person who commissioned its creation, he won't be able to use it effectively. Basically it's a weapon with a low skill floor and high skill ceiling.

Now my weapon~

Home Dagger
An ornate silver dagger able to be controlled through the power of mind. The dagger is not designed for combat. However, the user is able to manipulate it with his mind at eye distance with considerable force, which makes it a formidable weapon.

Another power it has is its ability to shoot off at a high speed when thrown by hand by the user. The mind power works in tandem with exertion of muscle power. The muscle memory enhances the boost on mind power.

Hmm.... I feel like the main issue with both your weapons is that they break your own rules.

A sword with a pistol in the handle, that can fold into a dagger is not practical at all. Think about the weighting and balance of the sword, and how the gun actually works if it's in a sword handle. Where is the trigger? Where is the line of sight? Folding a sword would make it impractical as a sword because it would be easily breakable.

An umbrella to be used as a sniper rifle is similarly impractical/impossible. A rifle needs a stock and a sight. Where are those situated on the umbrella? How does it fire needles? Is there a separate trigger mechanism for the rifle and the needles? Why does this weapon even need to be an umbrella... its kind of impossible to disguise it as an umbrella so it's not for stealth.

For both: seems like there's a high possibility of accidentally shooting someone/yourself. I feel like trying to design these items visually would really help you with this. Look at the designs of real and fantasy weapons: what parts they have, what is necessarily to use them, how you might combine them in a practical sense.

Deathbringer has at least 5 separate abilities, one of which isn't even listed in the powers section (the poison).

I have some other issues but this is the main one, and since its a biggie I will just leave this post here. :D

Deathbringer has at least 5 separate abilities, one of which isn't even listed in the powers section (the poison).
I mean, I wouldn't count the poison as an ability. It happens to be coated in poison, it's not an inherent power or anything, at least not from what I understood.

I mean, I wouldn't count the poison as an ability. It happens to be coated in poison, it's not an inherent power or anything, at least not from what I understood.

I guess we'll let OP answer that. If that's the case it needs rephrasing.

A poison that can increase bleeding is magical, therefore a power, regardless if it's optional or not. If he said a poison that stopped blood clotting then that sounds like a mundane poison.

A poison that can increase bleeding is magical, therefore a power, regardless if it's optional or not. If he said a poison that stopped blood clotting then that sounds like a mundane poison.
Maybe it's magical, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a power from the weapon. These ARE fantasy weapons, so since it wasn't listed as a power I think it could very well just be something which exists within the setting.

Maybe it's magical, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a power from the weapon. These ARE fantasy weapons, so since it wasn't listed as a power I think it could very well just be something which exists within the setting.

Let's leave it to OP to decide what they meant, since they are the only one who knows.

I agree with pretty much everything these two have said. The designs of the weapons themselves sound very....awkward even by fantasy standards, and you have broken your own rules with little murder sword. But I didn’t come here to repeat what’s already been said.

Let’s talk about rule number one.

I understand why you said the weapon can be anything. It not only opens it up traditional stuff like a sword, but it also leaves room for less traditional but still weaponizable stuff such as rolling pins and frying pans. But also keep in mind that since you’ve said anything here, it really can be anything. It could be a leaf. It could be a bag of cotton balls. It could be a toaster. With your broad categorization of anything, it becomes less “magic weapon” and much more “magic item”. Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with magic items that aren’t offensive. But if you’re only looking to make weapons with this rule set, I would recommend slimming rule one down to something like “Any weaponizable Item”.

I prefer weapons with a rich lore. Excalibur didn't make Arthur a king, the people's belief in its lore did. The weapon has to mean something to the character wielding it and to those who see it. I believe the things we carry take on a life of their own and either become a part of our identity or we become a part of theirs. When someone reads my character's story, I want them to ask, "why did he choose that?" When you tack on too many bells and whistles and gimmicks, that question fades away -- the hero becomes a part of the weapon's identity, instead of the other way around. "Well, of course he chose THAT sword! It has invisibility, super strength, immortality, and lets him shoot laser beams from every orifice on his body." When powers and tools do all the work, we lose sight of the hero.

I prefer weapons with a rich lore. Excalibur didn't make Arthur a king, the people's belief in its lore did. The weapon has to mean something to the character wielding it and to those who see it. I believe the things we carry take on a life of their own and either become a part of our identity or we become a part of theirs. When someone reads my character's story, I want them to ask, "why did he choose that?" When you tack on too many bells and whistles and gimmicks, that question fades away -- the hero becomes a part of the weapon's identity, instead of the other way around. "Well, of course he chose THAT sword! It has invisibility, super strength, immortality, and lets him shoot laser beams from every orifice on his body." When powers and tools do all the work, we lose sight of the hero.
0B8C485B-35B6-4E24-A6B3-8573FCA548B0.png

I agree with this. When designing a weapon I like to keep in mind about the wielder's theme to set some limit. It can be really tempting to just make things that gives our character a lot of convenience.

I'm using my vampire girl in an RP right now and her weapon is an umbrella. Not the most practical weapon I know, but it complements her needs to protect herself from direct sunlight and her tendency to avoid unnecessary combat. On the other hand, my dragon boy has a giant axe on his hand and a big cannon on his tail, not because I want him to be unbeatable but I want his appearance to screams 'fight me!' because he's a battle crazed mercenary.

Naming weapons is already pretty lame, but naming them things like Deathbringer and Kiss of Death to boot is eye-rollingly tacky.

While it's apparent you're working in a fantasy setting, realistically the mechanical elements of both weapons would compromise their function. A hinged blade is inherently weaker than an unhinged blade. You could reinforce the hinge with a bolt or latch of some kind, but then you're adding weight and a protruding component that would get in the way of a clean chop. If you don't, you have half a blade flapping around uselessly. The pistol in the handle would be unwieldy and difficult to aim, and I'd like to hear your explanation of what kind of poison dart can pierce skin with almost no trace. It sounds like you're describing something closer to a flechette, but you'd need a hell of a propellant to put that deep enough into flesh to become invisible and then your entry wound would be a lot less subtle, and the bulk necessary to accurately launch such a projectile would make it less useful as a sword.

The umbrella is some serious bullshit. For many of the same reasons hinged blades are dumb, a shield that could be folded like an umbrella is too, and to my knowledge neither such armament has ever seen widespread use throughout history. Shields are unarticulated slabs of a single solid material (or layered composites) because they need to not break when you smash it with a warhammer. A shield that can collapse into an umbrella-like shape would need at least eight hinged sections that would present eight points of weakness any combatant would instantly recognize and target, and on top of that they'd let rain through if you actually used it as an umbrella. Even if you successfully constructed such a stupid thing, it would be prohibitively heavy for use as a weapon. About the rest of it - does the sword detach, or does it slide out of the umbrella somehow? How is it connected? Where does it go when the shield is unfolded? How do you load it? Where's the trigger? Where are the sights? If there's a scope, how does it see past the shield parts? Can you fire it while the umbrella is unfolded? What kind of "small needle like projectile can pierce through almost anything?" Who makes this ammunition? There are too many questions to be asked about the item and I don't like it - not to mention how poorly most firearms hold up to being struck like a shield would be. Try playing baseball with an M4 and let me know how the receiver holds up.

Idea Idea has the right idea about simplicity in power and weapon design. Sludge Sludge does too, but I can't think of a pun for his name. I personally subscribe to the Saitama school of description: twenty words or less should sum up the function of whatever you're talking about. Simpler weapons are almost always cooler anyway and tend to work a lot better as well - a scythe that doubles as a sniper rifle will invariably do worse at both scything and sniping than a scythe and a sniper rifle, and you're going to have a hell of a time servicing your one-of-a-kind custom weapon when it inevitably requires maintenance. sludge also correctly recognizes that less elaborate weapons get the old noggin joggin' more reliably than crossbow toasters you can ride like a bicycle.

Split Deathbringer into a pair of weapons: a sword and a dart gun, or better yet a sword coated with whatever poison you'd put in the darts. Make Kiss of Death a shield that you can load a shotgun shell into.

Stop trying to make every weapon a Swiss army knife - when I want to cut something, I pick up my knife, not my multitool that just so happens to feature a two-inch blade. My knife is sharper, sturdier, and easier to care for. Does it have a corkscrew in the handle? No, but I'll open a bottle of wine with it if I have to. Your characters will also look a lot more badass if they roll up strapped to the gills with a bunch of different, practical weapons to crack skulls with and your fights will undoubtedly be more interesting when combatants have more options of how to engage and the opportunity to switch weapons and fighting styles in the middle of a battle.

Want a novel weapon design? Suck on this: a gauntlet mounted with a set of spring-loaded jaws like a car tire stretched over a bear trap, designed to catch and grip an enemy’s weapon when triggered. Maybe connect it to a bracer to distribute the impact of a blow across more of the user’s arm. Hell, strap a buckler to it while you’re at it.

Something else to consider are mercurial weapons, which already exist in many fantasy settings: hollow swords half-full of quicksilver that flows into the end of the blade when it’s swung, redistributing its weight to where it counts when it counts and leaving it in the handle when not in use. The wielder would need to train extensively with it to get used to the shifting balance, but they’d be especially dangerous once they have it down.

Neither this nor the blade snare have any special properties, yet they have an unusual function not unlike a magical enchantment. Use magic when you have to, not just because you can. A subtler and often more utilitarian enchantment would be one that preserves a blade's edge or keeps a bowstring from snapping - not as flashy, but probably more helpful in the long run. And for the love of God, cut it out with the rotating double-helix spears that shoot fire and buckshot when you twist the handle – but if you absolutely have to, don’t give them some dumbfuck names like Widowmaker or Gravechill.

But Psychonaut! Lots of people name their weapons!

Yeah.

Last edited:
I have a dozen or so good ones I know from generally sci-fi and fantasy that people rarely if ever bring up or use anymore in RP or writing.

Mazers - lasers but instead of photons and the visible spectrum, it's microwaved, these are real, invisible focused rays of microwaves which fry the inside of anything it's pointed at, very messy, very unpleasant and good at anti-infantry.

X-Lasers - Lasers but instead photons, it's x-rays, phases through solid matter, good at anti-armor or detecting things and whatnot.

Gamma Lasers - just lasers with gamma rays, so lasers with a side of cancer and acute radiation poisoning.

Magno-lasers - pretty much a device that generates such a strong focused magnetic field, it causes the oxygen in your body to superheat into plasma, so spontaneous combustion gun!

Dark matter gun- pretty much a type of gravitational weapon, able to throw intangible mass at things, it couldn't directly impact things but certainly could increase local gravity in an area, maybe even make black holes if you can pack enough dark matter tight enough.

particle gun - think the large hydron collider if it was a rifle sized weapon and you have an idea how scary it is, throwing a stream of magnetically suspended particles so fast at something, it tears the electrons off atoms, it'd be very hard to defend against with physical defense, requiring some sorta magnetic defense or force field.

Grey goo - pretty much a slurry of nano-machines which breaks down anything it comes into contact with and makes more of itself out of the remains, perfect for wiping out the entire surface of planets.

Life eater virus - same concept as Grey goo, except it's a biological virus which reduces all biomatter on the planet into a slurry of methane-producing sludge, once ignited the whole surface of the planet burns off, all oxygen and organic mass or traces of the virus are killed, perfect for wanting to start with a clean slate.

As to less physically possible weapons, more into the realm of magic and unrealistic things.

Kinetic redirection item - staff, ring, armor, whatever you want it to be, it can store kinetic energy directed at it and can dish it back out as kinetic energy, it'd probably have a few issues, like it can't handle heat or electrical energy.

Heat transference item - Pretty overpowered as well, able to transfer and store heat and put it into other things, hell you could make a nuclear weapon out of a magic item like that, keep putting heat into a small metal ball, into the atoms making it up to start getting unstable.

Space transference - this is sorta more pseudoscience than magic, but I'll classify it as magic, as the universe expands, the distance and space between things increases, implying that space itself has tangible energy to it, which means you could possibly subtract or add distance between things, able to take the distance of one thing and add it between two other things, and because space and time are one and the same thing, you can add time to things as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back