• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
So Gideon was only in his second class of the day and was already absolutely done with school. He had to get there earlier than usual to print off an assignment since his printer at home was broken and therefore, had to get up earlier than usual. Mornings were definitely not his favorite. And then to top it all off, the printer at school jammed. So then he had to wait for the IT guys to get there, fix the printer, and then print the assignment. Thankfully, it was due during an afternoon class, not his first, because he ended up being late for that thanks to the printer. So, Gideon rushed to his first class and somehow, somehow, managed to get away with being late. That may have been because he was the student body president. Maybe.

The rest of the day passed by in a blur of endless classes and student body meetings. And speaking of student body meetings, he was walking to his car after the last one ended when he noticed some guy smoking near the building. Smoking was definitely not allowed on campus. So, Gideon abandoned his trip to the car and instead walked back towards the school.

"Hey!" he shouted as he approached. "I'm pretty sure you know full well that smoking isn't allowed on campus," Or maybe he didn't. Who knows. But whatever. "So put it out."

267433d4b8739082fdfb563ee2c01ec4.jpg
There was, is, and always will be this phenomenon: a parent, an uncle, a teacher, or any other elder listens to the kid's or teen's problems... listens carefully, attentively, before giving out "do you think this is a problem?", and going in with "try being in my shoes and trying to provide for bla-bla-bla...". An awful thing to say, really. Sure, you, an adult, can have taxes, can have mortgage, alimony, might have depression to treat, or a dying mother, your problems can be a thousand times more dire than the teen's, but they are not more painful. What did this teen know in their life? For this teen, getting rejected by a girl they like, not getting the new game, or getting an F for a test they studied so hard is as bad as it gets. They didn't have anything to compare it with, and their misery concerning this is on the same level as an adult's who learns their loved one has cancer, or any other terrible ailment.

Keeping appearance in school was important. in retrospect, of course, it would prove to be a stupid thing to do, but for a kid, for a teenager of such age, it really was a dire need. This was a society, it had culture, it had climate. You entire world revolved around this society, and keeping yourself on the top of the food chain was just survival. Luckily for the kid smoking, he has a family that suited the best for such things. He was allowed to make mistakes. Never overseen like most of other students, never denied any liberties to take... you want to skip school - fine, skip it, but don't complain when you cannot find a job; want to get a tattoo - get it, but don't come to me when you get tired of it... it almost bordered at neglect, and maybe social services would've been called at some point, was he not always clothed, and fed, and medically treated, and barely ever yelled at. This allowed for Ryan to become of a rather high social class in school - being allowed things other were denied. Like openly smoking he thought he'd never get addicted to, though now hew as finding out he was terribly wrong when deciding to try.

He looked up at the shouting young man - eyes dark, somewhat bloodshot. Others might have spoken about him taking drugs, or drinking to get that, but the reality was different... in fact, he didn't exactly know what was the problem: he just woke up with his eyes aching this morning, later discovering a few vessels popping in them when using the mirror. He looked the kid up and down, almost evaluating him. The face was familiar, but he for the life of his could not remember the name... obviously not someone from his circle.

Making a small pause, he leaned over the bench to pick up a shirt he left on it - it was late spring, it was hot, it was dry. He preferred to wear a tank top to keep himself cooler. Then, without a word, he marched to the wire fence separating school grounds from the road, leaning over one of the metal columns, and nonchalantly popping the cigarette out of it. It was now technically not on the school grounds. The young man pursed his lips in a crooked way - almost like a half-smile, and gave the kid an inquiring nod, as if asking "better?". He had no idea if it was of any importance at all, now when the classes were over anyway, and no poor little six-year-old would be breathing in any smoke. But then again, he didn't really know most of the rules here, just acting on his own moral code and logic.

Last edited:
Gideon didn't fail to miss the way the guy just stared him down and then folded his arms across his chest, as if that action would somehow protect him should he need it. He didn't think he'd need it. Plus, he had absolutely no idea how to fight and would most definitely lose any fight he found himself in. Anyways, he shouldn't be focusing on an unlikely fight. What he should be focusing on is the fact that a student was smoking inside school grounds.

He shook his head slightly to rid his mind of these thoughts and then focused on the person in front of him. He recognized him as someone who ran with the higher-ups but had no idea what his name was. The school was too big for him to remember everyone's names, so the only names Gideon knew were his friends and those on the student council. Whatever. Knowing names wasn't important right now. What was important was reporting this guy for smoking.

It was then that he noticed the bloodshot eyes. "Are you high?" Gideon asked, narrowing his eyes. "So not only are you smoking inside of school grounds, you're high as well? That's just great," he stated sarcastically with a snort, jumping to his own conclusions without waiting for an answer. He had no idea where this was coming from, however, since usually he avoided any sort of confrontation and never really spoke unless spoken to. The fact that he was confronting someone and speaking first, was completely new to him.

Gideon watched in silence as this kid started walking towards the fence, unsure of what he was going to do. Though, when he saw the cigarette being forced through a gap in the fence and then the little nod in his direction, he felt his blood boil. "No, it is definitely not better" he snapped, "Even if your cigarette isn't on school grounds anymore, your body is, so therefore, you're still smoking on school grounds," He raked a hand through his hair, sending the strands everywhere. "As the student body president, it's my duty to report anyone who breaks the rules. So I'm going to report you. Hope it doesn't affect your graduation status." With that, Gideon turned on his heels and started walking back to the school's entrance.

It seemed that Gideon was in luck: the other kid didn't want to respond to the inquiry. Not really. He just made a surprised expression at the inquiry of the drugs, and let him make his own conclusions. Hearing about that, he chuckled, and that small laugh grew in volume and genuineness, until he shook his head, just replying "You're fun." His voice was deep, chesty, although not very... low. Weird mix.

'A student body president. How pompous.' Ryan thought. But what will he tell the principal, or whoever the hell they had to report? Some unknown guy was smoking out here? Gideon was at a disadvantage here, as he made sure to introduce himself - 'Geesh, a student body president!' Ryan laughed internally - he didn't know why Ryan was. At least, for now. Of course, the black-haired, black-eyed teenager had no idea about that, but if he did, he wouldn't be that surprised. He was never very active in class. A quiet kid who preferred to keep to himself and give short, ambiguous answers in class. Many people might have thought he'd be as smart as your stereotypical jock or a dandy rich kid, but he was just... quiet. Didn't talk much. He often was accused about cheating during tests - just ebcause he wasn't active in class, and looked the part. In truth, he wasn't dumb. Not dumber than any other teenager. Just not ambitious. He didn't need to jump with his hand in the air, like a more masculine and less preppy Hermione Granger. So probably little to no people outside his usual small flock really recognised him by name.

Not giving Gideon a reaction he probably anticipated - be it pleading or a verbal attack, Ryan followed him for a moment with his glare, the movement looking somewhat overly expressive, almost theatrical, as if Gideon wanted to make a scene... before he just asked: "Why, you want some?" The question hung in the air, as Ryan bit the cigarette, taking a better hold of his shirt, and pulling a half-empty pack out, offering it to the other boy. It was like he thought Gideon was tense of jealousy.

Gideon frowned when he heard the comment. You're fun? he repeated inside of his head, unsure what that was supposed to mean. So, he decided to ask. "What's that supposed to mean?" he snapped, very wary of the response he was going to get. He didn't think he was fun, well, at least not right now. He just told this guy off for smoking, threatens to report him and the only response he gets is "you're fun"? It all sounded very suspicious.

As he walked back to the school, he began to think about how he was, in fact, going to actually file a report. He didn't even know this guy's name, only his face. But then he remembered that all of the yearbooks were in the student government office and since every student was required to get their yearbook picture taken, he'd be able to find him easily. Gideon assumed they were the same age, though couldn't be sure. Regardless, he'd pull out last year's yearbook and start looking in the junior class's section, since they both would have been juniors then. With that thought, he sped up his walk, wanting to get this report over with so he could finally go home.

Gideon froze mid-step when he heard the question. Did he want some? Well, he most definitely did not want some. "No," he bit out, shaking his head, "I certainly do not want any," He risked a glance back and saw the pack of cigarettes held out to him. Gideon then wrinkled his nose in distaste. He'd never smoked before and really had no interest in trying. He also had never done any sort of drugs and the only alcohol he's ever consumed was a tiny sip of beer or wine every now and then.

"Why would you even think I wanted any?" he wondered. "Here I am, about to write you up for smoking on school grounds and you think I want some of your cigarettes?" This whole thing made absolutely no sense. None whatsoever. With that thought, Gideon resumed his walk.

It wasn't hard to tell why Gideon was 'fun', but Ryan certainly wouldn't say it out loud. Because here he was, the community-proclaimed cool kid, the one who was allowed to visit any show, any concert, any bar (if he could pass as an adult) by his family, the one wearing chains, and leathers, and piercings, being seventeen and already having a tattoo sprawled across his collarbone; not talking much, not giving enough fucks about anything, and giving out an aura of someone absolutely not to be messed with... and here's this kid, all preppy and serious: scolding him for smoking, and threatening to snitch! Ryan enjoyed his image in the school, but that didn't make his life more exciting. On the contrary - too many people avoided him, so it was... rather boring, actually. Being this ballsy was a rare thing coming from someone as... "right" as Gineon, and it was rather fun. Besides, the look of seriousness on his face was hilarious, in a way. The teen in front was somewhat... baby-faced. Watching him go on about this looked as fun as seeing a three-year-old cite Nietzsche in an attempt to look smarter.

Ryan shrugged when the offer was rejected, and hid the pack again. He did respond this time, however, with another shrug. "Becauzh y' look rema'ably anzhry." He spoke through clenched teeth, holding onto a cigarette, throwing his shirt on. "Azh if no one allowzh y' anythin'." With a light plaid shirt finally on, he took the cigarette out, leaning on the pole again. "Real question is, why you ask something and then storm off?" He gave the other teen a crooked smile, adding in a loud whisper: "That's what girls do!"

"I'm allowed plenty, thank you very much," Gideon snapped, quite offended that anyone thought that of him. But just because he was allowed plenty didn't mean he wanted to do absolutely everything. As he stated, he didn't want to try cigarettes, or drugs, or anything of the sort. Since he was the student body president, he had to be an example for the students, and smoking and coming to school drugged up certainly wasn't setting an example.

Gideon sighed softly and shook his head. "I don't know...," he began, "maybe because I don't actually care about your response?" And wow. He hardly even recognized his own self. Where and when did he become so gutsy? It was almost as if someone took out the old Gideon and replaced him with a new version of himself. One who wasn't afraid of confrontation and one who didn't back down.

The very last comment made him bristle. Gideon whirled around and stomped back over to Ryan, stopping when he was only inches away from the other boy. He poked his finger hard against the other's chest before shoving him back. "Do not," Gideon hissed through clenched teeth, "call me a girl." Even though he wasn't outright called one, he felt as if he was and wasn't appreciative of it.

"So much for not caring!" - Laughed the other teen, placing his hands on a shiny, metal-clad belt, and crossing his legs while leaning over the pole. The determined look on the young man's face was hilarious. Ryan held back from cooing 'aw, how cute!' at the sight of it.

He did not expect Gideon to come this close, let alone started pushing. That was new. Ryan's figure rolled around the pole due to not very stable pose he was supprring, back hitting the wire fence, making the intertwined steel give out a DING!, and slightly arch back under his weight, before he, like a roly-poly toy, bounced back, resuming his previous position, easily towering over the other kid. He had a slight, confident smirk on his face - barely even noticeable - as he leaned down, tilting his head just a little, as if emphasize that the other teen was smaller, though maybe not skinnier.

"I didn't." He replied, although for a moment it might have looked that he'd turn physical. Truth be told, despite the looks, Ryan rarely was. "I said..." He pointed two fingers with a cigarette clenched between them, at Gideon, although, despite how it looked, didn't touch him. "...that asking questions, and then storming off before you get an answer is what girls do. Though, I figure, if you choose to hear everyone calling you one, I can't help it, now can I?" This was probably the most words anyone in school have ever heard him say in a row. It felt weird. He'd usually just repeat that the kid was fun, and leave it at that. The sudden ballsiness shown by Gideon brought up a condescending asshole in him.

He thought about it for a moment. Ryan disliked conflicts - probably because his father liked them, and he was all too often a negotiator. Besides, things he was allowed to do led him to spending his energy pretty fast, making his puberty flow slower and calmer than the rest. He didn't have any desire to fight and bicker all the time like so many others, and lacked ambitions to be the very best at something, be it school, sports, music, or the amount of one-night-stands one claimed to have (but obviously did not at eighteen). Internally, he was a kind man... externally, he was... probably, just cold. Cold, but not aggressive. He figured that the little one was just a bit scared, but didn't care enough to calm him down. Instead, he made another drag of his cigarette - light and simple - before putting the butt off over the pole. "Listen, kid, I know you want to look important, but you're really barking up the wrong tree here." He said, small clouds of smoke emitting from his mouth with every vowel, before he breathed the smoke out... while being courteous enough to lift his head up to avoid Gideon's face. "I really don't care enough. Though if running around and ratting out will make you feel better..." He rolled his eyes as he spoke. "...by all means! Be my guest."

Last edited:
"I don't care though," Gideon growled. "I don't care about your cigarettes and I donโ€™t care why you thought I wanted any,โ€ he huffed. โ€œWhat I do care about is the fact that youโ€™re breaking a million school rules by smoking on campus.โ€ He let out a sigh of annoyance.

Gideonโ€™s eyes widened as Ryan stumbled backwards into the fence and then was popped forward. He definitely didnโ€™t mean to put that much force into it and was very surprised at his own strength. An apology found itโ€™s way to the tip of his tongue but never actually got around to saying it because at that moment, Ryan decided to tower over him. His eyes widened even more, if that was possible, and fear flashed in them. He wasnโ€™t sure if any repercussions were coming, but honestly wouldnโ€™t be surprised given how hard the shove was. Gideon gulped at the smirk and then flinched back as the cigarette came close to him but didnโ€™t actually touch him. โ€œWhatever,โ€ was all he said in regards to the comment about being similar to girls.

Gideon scrunched up his nose, making a face when the cigarette smoke reached him. "Do you have to smoke that near me?" he asked with a bite to his tone. "To 'look important'?" he repeated. "I'm the student body president, my job as a whole is important. I'm not trying to 'look it'," he snapped. He wasn't trying to look important. He was important. "It doesn't make me feel better," Gideon rolled his eyes. "I'm actually obligated to report it. But I do hope you start caring soon because getting written up right before graduating can actually cause you to not graduate on time."

And now, Gideon turned and walked away for the second time and headed back into the school, mumbling under his breath about how his clothes smelled like smoke as he disappeared through the front doors.

The teen arched his brow, giving a crooked, forced smile, as if asking, are you though? Are you important? Ryan was whether realistic or cynical in this regard. He had learned maybe in sixth grade that school hardly matters. Who would care in a real world whether you were smoking on school grounds or not, whether you were a president of the class (or whatever Gideon was) or not, whether you has scholarship or not? He started dismissing his own grades. There were numerous times his grade was lowered, because "you don't look like an A-student, so you cheated, and though I have no proof, I'll still lower your grade, because I believe you cheated"... he didn't care enough to argue. Ryan wasn't a stupid one, but he looked the part, and acted like your usual school fuckboy. "Let's agree to disagree." He offered. He had a lot to say about this, but neither had any motivation, or time. Nor Gideon looked like listening.

He arched his brow at the wince. Now the teen was just pretending to be offended: after all, Ryan specifically made sure smoke didn't reach the other teen. Although, as with the girl thing, he couldn't - or just chose not to - do anything about it. Gideon probably thought it was a revenge for pushing, but it was not. The shove wasn't really powerful - Ryan's stance wasn't balanced enough, and he knew it. Besides, no harm done, right? Why get offended?

"Well, your choice, kid." Shrugged the taller teen once more. "I don't care; and you do you." He watched Gideon almost huff and puff, and though his lips didn't move, Ryan's eyes smiled with the same adoration one would see on mothers' faces when she sees a little baby. "See ya later, then." He placed his two fingers to his forehead, and gave the teenager a short salute, watching him go to the direction if the entrance, as he himself looked around, idly moving roughly to where Gideon's car was. He was sure someone will talk to him about this in the next few days, one way or another. And this won't be his first conversation like that...

Last edited:
For the second time this week, Gideon was forced to stay after school. It was safe to say that he was not at all happy about it. There were much better things he could be doing right now, such as taking a nap, maybe even outside in his backyard since it was such a nice day out. But no. Instead of being able to take a nice nap outside, he was stuck inside monitoring detention. As much as he complained about it, he knew it was only fair. They rotated between them all and it was his turn.

Sighing, Gideon made sure he had his laptop and all of the books he needed before shutting his locker and making his way down the hall towards the classroom that was being used for today's detention. The list of students who had detention today would be taped to the door of the room for him to grab as he walked in. Sure enough, there it was on the door, printed on yellow paper. Gideon grabbed it and opened the door, walking in and placing the paper along with a pen on the corner of the teacher's desk he sat at for the students to sign next to their name as they walked in.

As per the rules, he also placed a bucket for the student's to place their phones in. They could do homework or read during detention time, but couldn't use any electronics or sleep. Gideon, however, could use whatever he pleased so therefore, he pulled out his laptop and got to work on a paper he had to write for his English class.

"...and that is why I beat the shit out of the little cock! The fucking moron! Thinks he learned a thirteen-letter word, and that makes 'im better than the rest of us! See how smart he is when he has to pick up his teeth with broken fingers from the pavement!" A nasal, low voice met Gideon as he entered - there was a huge in all regards kid sitting somewhere in the middle row besides Ryan, explaining why he ended up here.

"Huh..." Was the only answer he got - a little confused, uneasy 'huh', an analogue of 'I don't know what to reply to you - I don't approve, but I don't want any confrontation'. He saw where the conflict came from - some nerdy guy wanted to establish himself via overpowering a larger teen with his intelligence... and succeeded without realising that this defeat would make the other kid physical. He approved of neither of those things, but wasn't about to pick sides. Lucky for him, the big guy took the 'huh' as approval, and seemed to gain some friendly feelings towards a scrawnier, more rocker-looking teenager, his plump lips stretching in a proud smile, chest puffing slightly, happy about getting a new friend... and Ryan was too weary of the big guy to disappoint him.

When Ryan saw Gideon come over, he gave him a small smile, and repeated the gesture: fore- and middle finger to his forehead, small salute. It looked almost mocking, especially in his current half-sitting pose. And if to emphasise this, he never even got up to place his phone away, instead of looking at other people moving with a sly, flirtatious expressions, as if he was secretly looking over to the girl he liked. It suited him. Hit just about right with the image he was supporting: messy black hair, black eyes, white skin, smug expression, and a sly barely noticeable smile on pierced lips; old jeans with heavy boots... if he wore a leather jacket on top of his t-shirt, he'd almost look like one of the scandalous rock-n-roll band members from the early 80s, and for a more musical-inclined observer, he might have been trying to look that way, with a large yellow logo on his chest, depicting an eagle holding a bat and an olive branch, surrounded by some names... For many, it was just a simplified patriotic thing; for the minority - a logo of an old punk rock band. He looked at Gideon, and tapped his fingers on the table, looking with an arched brow at the teen, as if trying to challenge him to make the next move.

Gideon's eyes widened significantly when he heard this guy mouth off about how he beat up some kid for besting him in a test or defending himself. The rational part of him said to stay out of this but the other part said to defend this mystery kid that got beat up. "There will be no picking up of teeth with broken fingers," he began, peering up from his laptop. "And maybe next time, you actually study for a test, for once. That way you don't have to feel threatened by a kid half your size out-performing you," He heard the 'ooh's' from the other teens in detention but ignored them. "If I hear word that you beat this kid up again, or some other kid, you will be sorry."

He then surveyed the rest of the detention crew. "The same goes for the rest of you. If I hear word you took your anger out on someone, you will be sorry. Now," he started, picking up the sheet with the rules. "You'll be in here for an hour. You can use that time to do homework that doesn't involve your laptop, you can read or you can stare off into space and do nothing. Your choice. But no technology and no sleeping. If I catch you sleeping, water will be poured over your head,." He was serious about that. "I'm going to pass the sign in sheet around now. Sign next to your name."

Gideon stood and walked over to the person sitting in the desk closest to him and then handed off the sheet. It was then that he noticed Ryan and saw the salute. Of fucking course he'd be on detention duty the same day that the kid he reported for smoking would have detention. That was just his luck. He completely ignored the salute and thought about what his next move would be. Since the whole smoking thing was a few weeks ago, it was probably best for him to pretend he didn't recognize Ryan. Just like he ignored the salute, he ignored the look given to him and turned to walk back to the teacher's desk he was perched at, sitting down and resuming work on his paper.

Last edited:
"Ooh, kinky. I had no idea that you were into wet t-shirt contests." Ryan chuckled - mostly to unwind the situation, seeing his new 'friend' on the left starting to boil a little. Gideon was probably twice smaller, and if that giant would get angry, there will be violence. And Ryan was not a violent teenager,and he would prefer no one getting physical here. "No offence." He threw to the only girl on the opposite side of the room... which looked like she didn't belong here at all. With her modest dress, and long naturally-coloured hair held back by a soft band, she looked like a good christian girl- not a troublemaker. Ryan wondered why she was even here to begin with. 'Shallow waters run deep...' he thought - the favourite phrase of his dad when he referenced mum. The girl smiled weakly in response, not sure how to handle the situation.

It did work, the big guy calming down, but leaning over to say in a loud whisper - probably hoping for Gideon to overhear as he mocked his tone: "You will be sorry. I'm pretty sure if I punch 'im, he won't stand back up." Ryan sighed in response, leaning closer in response, trying to his the displease.

"You'll crush him like a Twinkie..."

"Yeah..." The kid sounded proud.

"It's like beating up a four-year-old. Do you really want that reputation?" Ryan whispered, and that was pretty much it - the big guy considered that for a moment, and decided he didn't want people thinking he was only stronger than little boys.

When the sheet was passed, Ryan was tempted to just draw an X there, or a smiley face. Instead, however, he just wrote "Was here" in the best italics he could. When Gideon's back was turned, however, Ryan sighed. "So it's Gideon..." He breathed out, kind of slipping down on a chair, almost lying down on it. He was at a bit of dismay - the teen had left his phone in his locker specifically to mess with him... or whoever else was there looking over him. They usually started arguing, not believing someone would not carry their precious device around. The plan failed, and that... well, as it happened before, brought up an asshole in him. "...gee, your parents must be real fun at parties." He hemmed, getting comfortable: one leg on the table with the corner of the table under his knee, as he reached over for one of the books on the desk, and a notebook, not knowing what to do. He wasn't much of a reader, but he also didn't feel any inspiration to write or sketch anything at the moment... and he sure as hell was not doing homework without any music to stimulate him. "I actually always thought Gideon was a female name." That murmur brought a chuckle from a few students, but just by the mere look of Ryan's it was obvious that that was the truth - he really did think that Gideon was a not a boy's name.

Last edited:
Gideon nearly choked when he heard what Ryan said and was very thankful that he hadn't take a sip from the water bottle he had sitting next to him or else he would have spit it everywhere. "I assure you I am not into wet tee shirt contests," he spat. "But I can assure you that getting cold water poured over your head is not a fun thing to wake up to," He spoke from experience on that one, having had his siblings pour water over his head to wake him up.

And he didn't fail to hear the guy talking about how if he'd punched him, then Gideon wouldn't stand back up. But instead of feeding into it and arguing with him, Gideon just pretended he never heard anything and walked back to his desk, frowning about how they claimed he'd be easy to beat and that fighting him would be like fighting a child. Whatever. He tried not to let it bother him as he set back to work.

However, before he could actually resume work, everyone finished signing the sheet so with a huff, Gideon stood and grabbed the sheet, scanning over it to make sure everyone signed. He rolled his eyes at what Ryan wrote. "Really?" he wondered in an annoyed tone, turning to Ryan. "Was it so hard to write your name?" He knew the response would be something sarcastic. "And yes, it's Gideon," he muttered as he walked back to the desk, now finally able to resume his work. "They're the life of the party," he said as he typed away at his paper. When he heard the comment about his name, instead of rising to the bait, he just brushed it off. "Maybe, but I have yet to meet any female Gideon's. Plus, every name site lists it as a masculine name, so..." He'd actually done research on his own name before because he was curious. "And now, I'm going to ask you all to be quiet. No more talking for the next hour."

The sudden outburst made the teen giggle. Gideon almost begged to be made fun of about sublimation and desire to see a girl in a wet shirt. However, he didn't do that. Not because of some weird sense of respect, but because he just couldn't think of anything funny fast enough.

It was doubtful if the reply was sarcastic or not; when asked about the signature, Ryan shrugged, and commented matter-of-factly: "Honestly, try and prove that's not my signature."

Gideon was actually kind of adorable wen trying to be this serious - Ryan would admit that. He reminded the teen of his aunt's cat, who was a tiny, fluffy beast with the softest fur and the biggest skewed eyes... and that cat - no bigger than a Guinea pig - always acted like an entitled price, puffing its chest, holding its head high, and looking at everyone like they owed it something. Not that Gideon behaved this way, but he sure as hell was giving out the same vibes. Ryan found it absolutely adorable, bringing up his desire to mess with the kid a little. In a friendly manner, but there was no doubt that he'd take it as an attack. Whether or not that will change Ryan's approach was an open question.

"How do you even shorten that name?" He asked, making a confused face. Name wasn't a bait on the contrary to what the teen thought - the phone was. This was curiosity.

"How can Gideon be a girl name?" The big guy asked with even more confused expression, looking back and forth between his friend and his enemy... or, rather, between his 'friend' and his 'enemy'.

In response, Ryan sighed, leaning to him again to make less noise, but didn't actually try to remain unheard. "Pops used to watch this show when I was little. One of the main characters had a crush on a woman named Gideon. Stuck with me. Whenever I hear 'Gideon', I think of handsome thirty-something German ladies that like trumpets and wear horn-rimmed glasses*."

"Thirty is old." The big guy commented.

"Well, maybe I like older women!" Shrugged Ryan, opening his notebook, and taking a pencil, tapping it on the surface, as he thought of something, before starting to carefully drawing thin horizontal lines on paper for some mysterious purpose.

"That's gross, man." Commented the big kid, but Ryan did not respond to that, biting on his piercing as he continued to do... whatever he was doing.

He actually speaks of a real character from a real show: Gideon from "The Mighty Boosh"

Last edited:
"Well," Gideon began, "for one, people's signatures are their first and last names. Your first and last name are listed here," He pointed to them. "And according to this sheet, your first name isn't Was and your last name isn't Here. Therefore, I know 'was here' is not your signature." With that, he walked back to the desk he was set up and, stored the sheet in a folder and resumed his work.

Unfortunately, that didn't last for long. "How do I shorten what? Gideon?" The question confused him. "I've never tried to shorten it, nor did I mention anything about shortening it, so where did this come from?" Not that he really cared to know.

Gideon stayed silent, like everyone in the room should be doing since it was detention after all, but couldn't help but listen in to the conversation. He was curious. So what. "One, gross," he commented, agreeing with the kid he spat at moments earlier for beating someone up. "Two, you saw a show that had a female character named Gideon. Big deal," He rolled his eyes. "A lot of names that you'd think would be used more for guys are being used for girls and vice versa," he explained. "For example, you'd think Delaney, Maddison and Haley are mainly female names, but I've met plenty of guys who have those names. It's becoming popular," Gideon finished with a shrug. "And a name is just a name. Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things."

The teen scoffed. "As far as I know, I can have whatever bloody signature I like." He saw all too many signatures that looked like a complete mish-mash of lines and twirls, and he was absolutely sure he could use even 'potato' as a signature if he wanted... and if it was consistent. "Maybe I stick with that one. Just for you." He added in a cooing voice.

"Yes." He nodded. "Shorten 'Gideon'. It comes from pure logic and experience - I highly recommend trying those out - of most longer names having a diminutive variation. Name has more than two syllables (or more than six letters) your best bet would be on it having shorter version. Damn, even my name has four fucking letters..." He threw his hands in the air. "...and it still has a diminutive. Or 'Tyler'. Or even 'Mia'. Yours is mouthful, so I figure it has one too."

He arched a brow, seeing the teen finally starting talking... and a small smile appeared on his lips. Gideon was such an angry young lad. Why was he angry, anyway? "Did I say it mattered?" He asked, smile growing, as he cocked his head in a rather coquettish way. "I was asked a question, and I answered it. The only Gideon I knew for eighteen years was a lady, thus, I have always considered it to be a female name. That said..." He sighed, shifting on his seat a little, finally crossing his legs on the top of the desk, not falling down by the mere power of godly intervention it seemed. He proceeded to draw lines on his paper for some mysterious reason. "...names do morph. Allison used to be a male name. So was Beverly. Hillary. Kim. Monroe. Stacy. That's all I have for today. All turned from blue to pink. It doesn't matter, but you seems sensitive enough on the subject to assume it matters to you." He looked up, and chuckled. "In the grand scheme of things nothing matters. Why do you write whatever you write if in the grand scheme of things it won't matter? Why are you even here if in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter? You can walk out of that door and spend the rest of your life hiding in your closet, just because of the grand scheme of things in which you're insignificant, and whatever you do doesn't matter. This grand schemes of things of yours is a part of fatalistic worldview, a-a-and..." He almost theatrically wrote something in a large, heavy handwriting, adding in a quieter, faster way, as if trying not to be heard by the entire room: "...it in turn brings up nihilistic attitude which is extremely harmful to both an individual and the society around."

The kid on the left of Ryan winced, drawing a little away. "Dude, what the fuck?" He asked, as if Ryan just said something filthy. He ignored it. Ryan somewhat liked psychology - something he didn't expect to be shared by his peers, and at times might have been thinking in such tirades... but this was probably the first time he actually voiced one. Mostly, he kept to himself, as they all sounded overly dramatic in his head.

Last edited:
"Suit yourself," Was all Gideon had to say regarding that. He'd only ever signed his first and last name so that was all he'd ever known. "Just for me?" he gasped, feigning excitement. "Well, I'm flattered." Then he dropped the false cheeriness and rolled his eyes, heading back to his desk.

Then he shook his head. "My name has never been shortened. Or, well, no one has called me by a shortened one. I'm sure there are some, but none that I know of," he said thoughtfully. "I guess it could be shortened to Gee or Ian, maybe even Deon. But I've never actually heard anyone using those, so I'm not sure they exist as nicknames for me."

"No," he started, "but you sure as hell made it seem like it mattered," It was true. The way Ryan spoke about his name made it seem like it mattered. But then Gideon realized it was all probably said in order to get a rise out of him. And unfortunately, he fell for it. Dammit. "Well, you didn't actually know her, she was just a character on a TV show that you saw. Therefore, you can't really claim to know any Gideon's, apart from me," Now, he was trying to be difficult. "They don't really matter to me," Gideon shrugged. "After all, a name is just a name. And I'm writing this paper to pass my class. Passing my class gets me into college, graduating from college gets me a degree, a degree gets me a job and a job gets me money. So yeah, in the grand scheme of things, it does matter."

And then he was lost, unable to keep up with the rest of Ryan's speech. When it was finished, Gideon had a vacant look in his eyes and then he blinked rapidly, shaking his head to clear his thoughts. "Mmm," he hummed, rubbing his eyes, "you done now?" It appeared he was. "That bored me to tears, and you lost me after asking me why I write whatever I write."

"Huh." He scratched his chin, short hairs emitting a soft shuffling sound. Puberty hit Ryan few years ago with all the gifts and curses. "No one ever shortened... Wow, I can only imagine years of ritual bullying in the school yard. No wonder you're so angry all the time."

There was a glimmer of hope when Gideon suddenly became sarcastic. Maybe he was not a lost cause after all? The teen dropped pretence fairly quick, but it was enough to make Ryan happy. He was thinking about how to shake the fuss out of the guy and just make him relax. Gideon picked his interest, after all. It'd be a while before he loses it.

"Alright, I paraphrase if semantics is of such importance. The only Gideon I knew of." He arched his brows. "I know, you've been trained to be a good factory worker in this place, but, you know, some people are just naturally curious." Ryan shook his head. "I was curious about the diminutive of a name. He was curious about why I thought it was a female name." Ryan nodded to the teen to his left, almost feeling him puff his chest a little. "Some people don't need a teacher telling them exactly what to read and how to understand it, to inquire about things around. And I mean, what an asshole you have to be to try and stop people from being curious. Who damaged yo this much, kid, to choose this?"

"For your information," Gideon began, eyes narrowed in annoyance. "No one has bullied me. But I don't get why not having a nickname or having your name shortened would call for someone to get bullied," It didn't make sense to him. "You can't shorten or give a nickname to someone named Adam, could you? What about John, Jamie, Sarah? All of those you can't shorten."

Gideon was starting to become really annoyed with this whole thing but prayed it didn't show because to him, that would show Ryan that he's won this round, if this was even something to win, and he couldn't have that. "You're naturally curious? Well good for you," he snapped. "That's fucking awesome, you deserve a round of applause." And wow, he's never actually cursed aloud before, but something about Ryan just brought out the absolute worst in him. "Some people only think in the black and white so they do need a teacher telling them exactly what to read. Others think in the gray," He tended to think in the gray, but never actually said that. "I wasn't trying to stop you from being curious. You're the one being the asshole because, as much as you claim to be curious about names and whatnot, you're really just trying to make fun of mine and me as a whole, I guess."

Ryan shrugged. "The kids. They don't like long fancy names. Ones you listed are neither long, nor fancy. Yours is, however, so it's both a target to being made fun of and being shortened. Honestly, who has more chances to be bullied in middle school: someone named Theodore or someone named John? The answer is pretty obvious."

'Oh, finally the emotions!' Ryan smirked. If only he knew this was a competition, he might have gotten more interested in winning, although... winning against him in social situations was hard. With his general apathy, the best one could hope with Ryan was a draw. He chuckled at the sudden outburst, and lifted his hands up. "I wouldn't hold it against you if you'd applaud." He stated through short, cough-like laughs. But did the teen even hear himself? People see in black and white so they need to be told what to read? Ryan would have gladly educated on the matter of schooling, but he knew for a fact that Gideon would not want to hear it. First, he was too emotional at the moment; secondly, because it borderline inclined that Gideon was an idiot. And Ryan did not want to imply that. Maybe, some other day, when the 'kid' wouldn't be this excited, he'd tell about education and how it actually makes people stupid. But not now. Now it'll fall on deaf ears.

"That's pretty bold of you: to speak on my behalf." He said with a half-smile. "Especially since the reality is so far from the truth."

'You honestly act like a hunted little kid who was bullied throughout his life for someone who states he never was. So angry, so dependant on what teachers say you should do, as if looking for protection.' He thought, and even opened his mouth to say that, when decided that Gideon might just have a fit if he does. Maybe later. Instead, he cocked his head. "But since you claim to know me so well... assuming I am trying to make fun of you... what motive would I have to do that, hm? You pushing me outside school? Don't be ridiculous - we're not in kindergarten."

Gideon didn't answer nor acknowledge what Ryan said. The answer wasn't very obvious to him because he'd never actually heard of anyone getting bullied over their name. Most, if not all people, who were bullied were bullied for their height, abilities, appearance, etc. Not a name.

"It's so far from the truth?" he wondered, glancing up from his laptop for a second and then back down. "Well, pray tell me, what is the truth?" Not that he actually cared as he continued to type away at his essay. "Trust me, I'm not claiming to know you. I don't actually want to know you. And it seems pretty obvious to me that you're trying to make fun of me. Why else would you bring up the fact that you thought my name was a girl's name if you weren't trying to poke fun at me?" he wondered, though this time, didn't look up from his laptop screen. "No. Definitely not pushing. Probably not even because I put you in here. I'm guessing you don't even need a motive. This is just who you are."

"But," Gideon continued on, "I thought I told everyone in here to shut up? That includes you. So please, just shut the fuck up."

The truth? Ryan made a surprised expression, explaining: "I'm curious. And fairly friendly. That's all the motive I need. And why I brought it up? Exactly for the curiosity. I thought it was a female name ever since I was five. I was curious about it." He paused. "And even then, why are you so sensitive about girl stuff? Girls are cool." He winked to the 'good christian girl' on the other corner, as if talking specifically about her.

"I find it curious that you blame me for aggression... and once more pretend as if you know me with all the 'this is just who you are'..." He parodied Gideon's voice. "You are the one who is constantly being aggressive. Have I ever raised voice at you? Threatened you? Been physical? You're the one who does these things, and yet, you blame me. Compensating?" He shook his head. "And... pardon for being blunt, but no one here really cares about what you told anyone. You absolutely made sure of that. Bad move on your part, kid. You're to live and communicate with these people..." He circled around the room with his pencil. "Not the principal who tries to train you like a dog. Not the teachers who try to mold you into the shape they want. Your peers. And you make sure they hate you with all the fuss and threats you make. Do you really think this will work well for you? Do you really think that next time you meet, say, him in the alleyway he'll just pretend you're friends?" He nodded to the kid on the right. "Unless being hated by others is your goal - then you do a real good job there, kid." Ryan thought he knew the reply. All too often for that he got the remarks about his nonchalant attitude towards everything, and how this wouldn't help as well. He had good arguments about this, but at the same time knew well it'd fall of deaf ears.

"Alright, that... was too harsh, I admit. Sorry for that one. Really." He added after a small pause, bringing another wave of confusion to the big guy who thought that everything was going so well! Like, yeah, Ryan, show the little bitch who's boss! The big one wasn't too eloquent, but Ry was. Seeing someone being beat in their own game like that was appealing to the huge teen, and he was looking forward for someone on 'his' team to win. Unfortunately for him. however, Ryan didn't take it as a competition. He didn't know what it was, to be honest. He thought... he thought that if it would have been in elementary school, he'd say he wanted to make a friend. It wasn't this simple in high school. There were new social rules, traditions, new names for such things... and also lots of hormones. They made some people - like Gideon - very emotional. Others - like Ryan - hyperactive. That was not good for both of them. Oh, the youth. All the understatements, all the half-truths, all the innuendos - everything to save face. It would have been so much easier, were they whether ten years younger... or ten years older.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back