• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Vigilante & Powers RP (NOW OPEN! link in thread)

Should this rp be original or fandom?

• original

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • DC verse

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Marvel verse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care I just like the concept

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Players will be expected to be able to write at least 500 words per post and apply with a good quality app that shows not only literacy but creativity in coming up with a character. I would like this rp to be a close knit group that chats on discord and plans events, comes up with connections and has a lot of fun.

About
From the information above, I am sure you have gathered that this rp is at its basic form, a vigilante and villain rp. But rather than keeping it generic and simple, I wanted to stem off from that sort of clear-cut line and get a bit more realistically in depth. Heroes that play dirty and are vicious, villains with relatable problems and reasons behind what they are doing. In fact you may find yourself agreeing with some of the villains, don’t worry it happens, they can be dashingly handsome and charismatic after all. Sometimes good people do bad things, and bad people to good things. Questionable morals and a mature atmosphere are what this rp is going to be about. If you are game for that then cool, if you'd have a problem with cursing, gritty and rough actions, and violence (lots of it) then mayhaps this rp isn't for you. I plan for this story to involve everyone in it, and we will be using the discord chat I create quite a bit to flesh out plans and interactions. If you join you will not be left out and I intend to create an environment that showcases everyone's character in turn, and hopefully we can create a literate and kick-ass environment.

I am wondering whether or not I should keep this rp's setting as original or if we should do something set in a pre-established setting like the DC-verse or Marvel-verse (with a lot of ocs of course), I would love some input on that so please vote on the poll if you're interested in the rp.

I am also planning on including things like some skeleton character options where the powers and/or connections are pre-set just so people can see those and maybe choose one to make or get inspiration from that. I think it'd be helpful in order to organize the archetypes we'd have in this rp so that we're not left with like ten brawlers and no detective types or neutral aligning characters. I'd like to see a wide range in character types.

Last edited:
Sup.

I'm in if it's in an original verse ^^ as I don't really do fandoms well. But I like what you have going here.

Hello! This looks really fascinating, and would love to join! I feel like a story like this could fit into it's own established universe.

I like this. A lot. I'd be more than happy to brainstorm for the sake of the rp, delve deep into my character, etc. The best rp's ive been in, have come out of original thought and great character arcs [and planning of course]. I'm in, if you go ahead with this~

Thank you everyone who has voted and expressed interest! It's totally crazy how much interest there is in such a short amount of time I'm super excited and encouraged to create this. I can also tell pretty much everyone wants this setting to be original in creation so I'm going to close the poll earlier than I intended and go about creating the rp.

Go ahead and throw out some ideas while I'm coding (working with other ppls codes more like because I can't code worth SHITE) and writing. I can't promise all ideas will be incorporated precisely as presented but I can promise that no idea is too "dumb" to voice and work with. If you would prefer to msg me rather than talk about any ideas you have here that's alright too!

Some ideas I already have:

• A "league" of some sort that is currently nameless because I suck - is very loose and disorganized and only has an underground meeting spot that they congregate at once a month, if anyone needs help or a partner of sorts they can contact the rest of the league or post on their private online chat/ any and all new members of this group are sponsored by existing members - i'm thinking it's been established for a couple of years maybe?
  • A small group of NPC's named "the junk boiz" who are re-occuring henchmen of a gang or something I just like the name mostly

A "league" of some sort that is currently nameless because I suck - is very loose and disorganized and only has an underground meeting spot that they congregate at once a month, if anyone needs help or a partner of sorts they can contact the rest of the league or post on their private online chat/ any and all new members of this group are sponsored by existing members - i'm thinking it's been established for a couple of years maybe?

When in doubt run it through Google Translate and pick your favorite translation for "The League." I like this idea in particular because it opens up so many options. I'd be down for making an existing member if you'd allow ^^.

A small group of NPC's named "the junk boiz" who are re-occuring henchmen of a gang or something I just like the name mostly

Also would make a character NPC for this if you'd allow ^^.

Honestly I've got like five characters I want to create and I've narrowed it down to like three to hold myself back and I just know I'm gonna cave somewhere down the line and make another. So feel absolutely free to make multiple characters - and OF COURSE you guys can make a character that's part of the league or any other organization that gets thrown out there. There will be an NPC character thread where regularly occuring NPCs will be posted, if you guys want to make one into a full character feel free to pick them up. You can even make a regular old human if you want characters don't have to be powered.

I'm thinking one of the "founding members" of this "league" which is probably just gonna end up as the latin word for league let's face it could be a more detective-type character, more on that later but I'm creating character skeletons now for people to look at and maybe pick up as characters.

no worries :3 happy to be here :)
I second the ability to create a member of your "league". Though, no-one too high up, but is still pretty respected [knows what they are doing too] Maybe a female who has been apart of the league for some time, but refuses to climb her way up its internal ladder to avoid responsibility and burden? (on family perhaps?) [id do the same in this rps kind of environment tbh]
- I can't say I've ever tried that translation trick, so no opinion on that, though it seems like a pretty cool alternative
-
I'm gonna keep brainstorming over here, update this post with any ideas and i'll let you know where i get :cheshiregrin:

What about a mix of both DC and Marvel?

And as for ideas, what about superheroes with minor powers? Like only being able to teleport a certain distance?

Maybe since the league is more loose and disorganized, it's a breeding ground for freelance work and rag-tag teams of sorts? Sometimes people are looking for companions, while others are just looking for one or two tasks to be done. I could make someone who frequently makes temporary teams and disbands them two days later after some sort of task is accomplished. They'd be more reoccurring than a full-on character and would act more as a supporting figure to help our vigilantes out ^^!

OOH! And junk boiz. I'm thinking of a more mish-mashed stereotypical character/NPC for them that feels forced to be there to, protect themselves from the outside world and those who are looking for him.

Did I ever mention this thread's title feels like a dating website post, like here's an example: (24 Male, smart, can read, and loves cats) and here's the title of this thread:
(literate & looking for input)
(It's bolded for no reason and honestly this was just a shitty shitpost to make me look active, ok bye,)

[class=container] display:flex; height:70vh; max-width:900px; border:1px solid #9abfe0; margin:auto;center; flex-wrap:wrap; align-items:flex-start; overflow:hidden; flex-direction:row; [/class] [class=scrollbox] width:101%; height:60vh; overflow-y:scroll; [/class] [class=text] margin-left:5px; font-family:Heebo, regular; font-size:1em; color:#4f4f4f; [/class] [class=tabs] display:inline-block; width:100px; padding:.2em; text-align:center; font-size:1em; color:#9abfe0; font-family:Heebo, regular; cursor:pointer; transition: all 0.3s ease-in-out; [/class] [class name=tabs state=hover] letter-spacing:.3em; [/class] [script class=tabone on=click] removeClass select tabs addClass select tabone hide scrollbox show pageone [/script] [script class=tabone] addClass select tabone [/script] [script class=none] hide pagetwo hide pagethree hide pagefour hide pagefive [/script] [script class=tabtwo on=click] removeClass select tabs addClass select tabtwo hide scrollbox show pagetwo [/script] [script class=tabthree on=click] removeClass select tabs addClass select tabthree hide scrollbox show pagethree [/script] [script class=tabfour on=click] removeClass select tabs addClass select tabfour hide scrollbox show pagefour [/script] [script class=tabfive on=click] removeClass select tabs addClass select tabfive hide scrollbox show pagefive [/script]
[div class=container]
[div class="tabs tabone"]main
[div class="tabs tabtwo"]plot[/div][div class="tabs tabthree"]setting[/div][div class="tabs tabfour"]rules[/div][div class="tabs tabfive"]links[/div][/div]
[div class="scrollbox pageone"]
[/div][div class="scrollbox pagetwo"]
[div class=text]It is human nature to be curious, to create wonders with the scientific knowledge you gain and imagine new fantastical things. It is human nature to be greedy, and violent, and to use these things for selfish and hurtful reasons. It is human nature to draw the lines you will not cross and to cross them, to suffer, to hope, to succeed, and fail. Humans create gods and monsters, they are gods and monsters.

It is the year 2097 in Metropolis, United States.

In a world where science has made terrific leaps, unexpected consequences have occurred. From the hushed hazardous gas spills to radioactive phenomenon, humans have at times gained and passed on powers only thought up in comic books. But unlike comic books, the villains that rose up are not born innately evil. Everyone is just a person, surviving in whatever way they can. Sometimes that means rising as a gang boss to ensure your family is well off and your kid gets into college. Sometimes that means robbing an old lady for her groceries so that you don’t starve; or tossing your baby to the streets because you can’t feed them. It’s difficult not to cringe at these things, more difficult yet not to commit these acts in order to survive. But there are worse things and more done in this new world. Crime has gone steadily up at an alarming rate, while the economy worsens and living conditions plummet; leaving a wide gap between the way the rich live and the way the poor live. New drugs enter the market, and with as intense as these new street drugs are, half the population is barely even lucid enough to notice the injustice surrounding them. That’s the point with drugs really, to escape the hell around them.

Back in 2078 the US government attempted to declare Martial Law to bring the country to order. But the attempt failed. It was later organized officially between the government and the criminal public to where certain crimes would no longer be enforced by law enforcement in exchange for a certain level of control, no public terrorism and the institution of neutral zones where any and all can be safe. So long as those boundaries are respected the cops are required to look the other way when it comes to things like theft and drug dealing. It is now left to the general law abiding population to either take the hit when things like this happen or be strong enough to stop those who would take what belongs to them. It’s become a wild west policy. The strong prosper and the weak are trampled. A disturbing and unhealthy balance forms, where crime prospers and justice is gutted.

There are those who will not stand for such a twisted way to live. Criminals and desperate people are not the only ones who had developed powers. Vigilantes took to the streets and dealt justice where the government no longer would. Feeling threatened by this opposition certain powerful entities interfered in government law once more. And now unfortunately those vigilantes who won’t stand for such an illusionary peace are outnumbered and attacked on both ends. Propaganda was created to spin the vigilantes as disturbers of what little peace the general public had left. The public wants this balance now; they believe it can’t be helped, and so those trying to stop crime are looked down upon. The government developed a lynching law to stamp this disturbance out. If a known vigilante is spotted, it has been declared legal for the public to lynch them on sight if the cops do not arrest them first. Any who decide to become a vigilante have a target from both sides painted on their backs. Here, the good guys are kept as disorganized as the bad ones; if you can even call them good guys, sometimes they come as vicious as the villains…

[/div][/div][div class="scrollbox pagethree"]
[div class=text]
It is the Year 2097:
This roleplay takes place in a slightly futuristic dystopian setting where there is a wide divide between the rich and the poor. The poor do not live very much differently from how the poor now live in our modern times. There are public services which help the public, and most people are on these systems. However good quality food, healthcare, education, shelter, cars, electronics and even hired protection are reserved for those who can afford it. The rich have access to excellent high tech health care that is capable of things such as curing cancer and have the ability to send their kids to private schools with quality educations that ensure the cycle continues and they kids land excellent well paying jobs, often in executive offices and banks. The middle class is in the minority and include people such as doctors and lawyers.

Old fashioned bullets and cars are still in use, but more high tech weaponry such as pulse guns that fire various frequency lasers and electronic pulses exist for a higher price tag. But why pay more for that when bullets do the trick just fine? Computers and programs are more advanced, and many service jobs are replaced by machines and robots. Gadgets that are high tech come with a high price tag, so unless you make them chances are you’ll never get your hands on a hover car that can bypass traffic entirely or a smart home that handles buying your groceries for you. If you have a gadget in mind you would like your character to have please clear it through me or my co-admin first.

Currency has surpassed physical money for the rich, physical money is culturally considered crude and lowly now - and only the poor class uses it. The rich all carry the latest in a series of bracelets often stylized to their liking that operates as communication devices and access to their accounts filled with credits. One credit is equal to one US dollar.

Culturally there is a wild west mentality at play, things like murder are still investigated (though there is a low rate of successful conviction on it) and illegal but things like assault, theft, and fraud are not prosecuted. Domestic terrorism such as bombings, mass shootings, hostages etc. are things that are heavily cracked down upon and still considered crime. Though some of that can be questionable and loopholes in policy can occur, for instance banks are usually some of the most high security places in the US now due to necessity. As bank robbing is now technically legal unless the bank can stop the robbers. It is considered the responsibility of business owners to provide their own security and protection, and places that skimp on this are often targets for robbery.

There are “neutral zones” in various places of the city, bunker buildings that are heavily armored where people may take shelter in the event of assault, attempted assault, or general risk of safety due to a brawl between powered persons. These buildings are open to any and have a very strict no-violence policy, any person, no matter who they are, who violates this policy is given the full brunt of the law in form of a death sentence. These zones are taken very seriously.

Powers:

About one in fifty of the population has extra human abilities known as “powers”. Generally speaking, powers are not unique, there are many telekinetics and pyromancers out there which can provide a reasonable deniability for any particular vigilante that uses an ability. But for the purposes of our rp, if two characters are not related I would strongly prefer they have different powers. Characters who are related do not have to have the same power. For our characters each one will be permitted one power, however the subsets of that power combined with the character’s own level of use for it can dictate how well it is used and to what degree. For example a character with super strength would also need a certain level of raised durability in order for their bodies to handle the sheer force that they can dish out, however I may dial back and fine tune these subsets as I see fit. You will have a section in your character’s profile to fully explain their power and how they use it/it’s limits or drawbacks.

On one hand it may be wise to hide your abilities, if no one knows you have one you have the element of surprise should you need it and you can not be accused of being a vigilante. Most vigilantes hide their abilities (and identities) where they can for this reason.

On the other you can create a reputation for yourself as someone you don’t want to mess with, and enjoy the general safety that affords you, but you run the risk of being scouted for a gang. Gangs love powered humans, they make for valuable assets. Depending on how well protected you are you may not have the choice of saying no to their offer.

[/div][/div][div class="scrollbox pagefour"]
[div class=text]lorum ipsum

[/div][/div][div class="scrollbox pagefive"]

[/div][/div]
[/div]
credit RI.a RI.a

so this right here is what I have thus far - only the plot and setting though, any comments? suggestions? thoughts? questions?

[class=container] display:flex; height:70vh; max-width:900px; border:1px solid #9abfe0; margin:auto;center; flex-wrap:wrap; align-items:flex-start; overflow:hidden; flex-direction:row; [/class] [class=scrollbox] width:101%; height:60vh; overflow-y:scroll; [/class] [class=text] margin-left:5px; font-family:Heebo, regular; font-size:1em; color:#4f4f4f; [/class] [class=tabs] display:inline-block; width:100px; padding:.2em; text-align:center; font-size:1em; color:#9abfe0; font-family:Heebo, regular; cursor:pointer; transition: all 0.3s ease-in-out; [/class] [class name=tabs state=hover] letter-spacing:.3em; [/class] [script class=tabone on=click] removeClass select tabs addClass select tabone hide scrollbox show pageone [/script] [script class=tabone] addClass select tabone [/script] [script class=none] hide pagetwo hide pagethree hide pagefour hide pagefive [/script] [script class=tabtwo on=click] removeClass select tabs addClass select tabtwo hide scrollbox show pagetwo [/script] [script class=tabthree on=click] removeClass select tabs addClass select tabthree hide scrollbox show pagethree [/script] [script class=tabfour on=click] removeClass select tabs addClass select tabfour hide scrollbox show pagefour [/script] [script class=tabfive on=click] removeClass select tabs addClass select tabfive hide scrollbox show pagefive [/script]
[div class=container]
[div class="tabs tabone"]main
[div class="tabs tabtwo"]plot[/div][div class="tabs tabthree"]setting[/div][div class="tabs tabfour"]rules[/div][div class="tabs tabfive"]links[/div][/div]
[div class="scrollbox pageone"]
[/div][div class="scrollbox pagetwo"]
[div class=text]It is human nature to be curious, to create wonders with the scientific knowledge you gain and imagine new fantastical things. It is human nature to be greedy, and violent, and to use these things for selfish and hurtful reasons. It is human nature to draw the lines you will not cross and to cross them, to suffer, to hope, to succeed, and fail. Humans create gods and monsters, they are gods and monsters.

It is the year 2097 in Metropolis, United States.

In a world where science has made terrific leaps, unexpected consequences have occurred. From the hushed hazardous gas spills to radioactive phenomenon, humans have at times gained and passed on powers only thought up in comic books. But unlike comic books, the villains that rose up are not born innately evil. Everyone is just a person, surviving in whatever way they can. Sometimes that means rising as a gang boss to ensure your family is well off and your kid gets into college. Sometimes that means robbing an old lady for her groceries so that you don’t starve; or tossing your baby to the streets because you can’t feed them. It’s difficult not to cringe at these things, more difficult yet not to commit these acts in order to survive. But there are worse things and more done in this new world. Crime has gone steadily up at an alarming rate, while the economy worsens and living conditions plummet; leaving a wide gap between the way the rich live and the way the poor live. New drugs enter the market, and with as intense as these new street drugs are, half the population is barely even lucid enough to notice the injustice surrounding them. That’s the point with drugs really, to escape the hell around them.

Back in 2078 the US government attempted to declare Martial Law to bring the country to order. But the attempt failed. It was later organized officially between the government and the criminal public to where certain crimes would no longer be enforced by law enforcement in exchange for a certain level of control, no public terrorism and the institution of neutral zones where any and all can be safe. So long as those boundaries are respected the cops are required to look the other way when it comes to things like theft and drug dealing. It is now left to the general law abiding population to either take the hit when things like this happen or be strong enough to stop those who would take what belongs to them. It’s become a wild west policy. The strong prosper and the weak are trampled. A disturbing and unhealthy balance forms, where crime prospers and justice is gutted.

There are those who will not stand for such a twisted way to live. Criminals and desperate people are not the only ones who had developed powers. Vigilantes took to the streets and dealt justice where the government no longer would. Feeling threatened by this opposition certain powerful entities interfered in government law once more. And now unfortunately those vigilantes who won’t stand for such an illusionary peace are outnumbered and attacked on both ends. Propaganda was created to spin the vigilantes as disturbers of what little peace the general public had left. The public wants this balance now; they believe it can’t be helped, and so those trying to stop crime are looked down upon. The government developed a lynching law to stamp this disturbance out. If a known vigilante is spotted, it has been declared legal for the public to lynch them on sight if the cops do not arrest them first. Any who decide to become a vigilante have a target from both sides painted on their backs. Here, the good guys are kept as disorganized as the bad ones; if you can even call them good guys, sometimes they come as vicious as the villains…

[/div][/div][div class="scrollbox pagethree"]
[div class=text]
It is the Year 2097:
This roleplay takes place in a slightly futuristic dystopian setting where there is a wide divide between the rich and the poor. The poor do not live very much differently from how the poor now live in our modern times. There are public services which help the public, and most people are on these systems. However good quality food, healthcare, education, shelter, cars, electronics and even hired protection are reserved for those who can afford it. The rich have access to excellent high tech health care that is capable of things such as curing cancer and have the ability to send their kids to private schools with quality educations that ensure the cycle continues and they kids land excellent well paying jobs, often in executive offices and banks. The middle class is in the minority and include people such as doctors and lawyers.

Old fashioned bullets and cars are still in use, but more high tech weaponry such as pulse guns that fire various frequency lasers and electronic pulses exist for a higher price tag. But why pay more for that when bullets do the trick just fine? Computers and programs are more advanced, and many service jobs are replaced by machines and robots. Gadgets that are high tech come with a high price tag, so unless you make them chances are you’ll never get your hands on a hover car that can bypass traffic entirely or a smart home that handles buying your groceries for you. If you have a gadget in mind you would like your character to have please clear it through me or my co-admin first.

Currency has surpassed physical money for the rich, physical money is culturally considered crude and lowly now - and only the poor class uses it. The rich all carry the latest in a series of bracelets often stylized to their liking that operates as communication devices and access to their accounts filled with credits. One credit is equal to one US dollar.

Culturally there is a wild west mentality at play, things like murder are still investigated (though there is a low rate of successful conviction on it) and illegal but things like assault, theft, and fraud are not prosecuted. Domestic terrorism such as bombings, mass shootings, hostages etc. are things that are heavily cracked down upon and still considered crime. Though some of that can be questionable and loopholes in policy can occur, for instance banks are usually some of the most high security places in the US now due to necessity. As bank robbing is now technically legal unless the bank can stop the robbers. It is considered the responsibility of business owners to provide their own security and protection, and places that skimp on this are often targets for robbery.

There are “neutral zones” in various places of the city, bunker buildings that are heavily armored where people may take shelter in the event of assault, attempted assault, or general risk of safety due to a brawl between powered persons. These buildings are open to any and have a very strict no-violence policy, any person, no matter who they are, who violates this policy is given the full brunt of the law in form of a death sentence. These zones are taken very seriously.

Powers:

About one in fifty of the population has extra human abilities known as “powers”. Generally speaking, powers are not unique, there are many telekinetics and pyromancers out there which can provide a reasonable deniability for any particular vigilante that uses an ability. But for the purposes of our rp, if two characters are not related I would strongly prefer they have different powers. Characters who are related do not have to have the same power. For our characters each one will be permitted one power, however the subsets of that power combined with the character’s own level of use for it can dictate how well it is used and to what degree. For example a character with super strength would also need a certain level of raised durability in order for their bodies to handle the sheer force that they can dish out, however I may dial back and fine tune these subsets as I see fit. You will have a section in your character’s profile to fully explain their power and how they use it/it’s limits or drawbacks.

On one hand it may be wise to hide your abilities, if no one knows you have one you have the element of surprise should you need it and you can not be accused of being a vigilante. Most vigilantes hide their abilities (and identities) where they can for this reason.

On the other you can create a reputation for yourself as someone you don’t want to mess with, and enjoy the general safety that affords you, but you run the risk of being scouted for a gang. Gangs love powered humans, they make for valuable assets. Depending on how well protected you are you may not have the choice of saying no to their offer.

[/div][/div][div class="scrollbox pagefour"]

[/div][/div][div class="scrollbox pagefive"]

[/div][/div]
[/div]
credit RI.a RI.a

so this right here is what I have thus far - only the plot and setting though, any comments? suggestions? thoughts? questions?
Looks good to me, and I think the setting and plot are really good.

I love the setting, and I think I have a character for this. A support type, if you will. Can I call dibs on plant creation? :D

I am alllllll for this ??? its getting better and better! !
And just because PorcelainDoctor PorcelainDoctor said something, imma go ahead and make it clear I wanna give my girl SUPER STRENGTH i have a character ive already sort of used in mind also, though i will definitely change her for this rp~

Is there a limit on characters? I'm thinking either two or three at this point but I can certainly dial back if there's a max character number!

I'm thinking of super speed for one of my characters and cryokinesis for the other. Potential third character was going to be something along the veins of plant communication or manipulation/enhanced plant growth-- PorcelainDoctor PorcelainDoctor would you be willing to maybe have them be somehow related if I end up going through with this?

Oh and my main concept/idea behind them would be sort of """soft""" environmental terrorism, if that's okay!

OH MAN I didn't get here in time to stop you all I'm sorry. But actually yeah I don't want anyone to "call dibs" or reserve character ideas please. It's important to me that everyone gets a fair shot at applying and doesn't feel like they can't apply for a power because someone else has called dibs. Acceptances are based on the quality of character you make not on their power, so if two people apply with really great apps I might allow doubles of a power or depending on the power ask both to change it. If you would like to make characters that are related I am all for that! I love people working together and plotting things with one another. I'm far more interested in who your character is and how they can grow as a person rather than what their power is.

Please don't feel like I'm coming down on you all I understand that calling dibs and reservations are usually how it's done it just is going to be done differently with my rp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back