• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Utopia: A Superhuman Roleplay

nova.the.alien

✩ space monarch ✩
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
utopia
content warning: dark themes of death, weaponry, and villainy
loading ...
... scroll up
// premise ...
#18+
#superhumans
#mutants
It’s no secret that some people are born with- special abilities. Roughly 1 out of every 7 people, in fact. There’s thousands of different names for them; mutants, monsters, freaks, supers, metahumans. But they all ultimately mean one thing: some people are just born unable to truly blend in with the crowd. For some that means danger they’d rather avoid, for others it means a beautiful community that they couldn’t imagine being without. But no matter who you are, whether you want to make a name for yourself or find a relatively safe haven, if you have powers then Sentinel City is the place to be.

Utopia takes place in an alternate version of earth where people have, since ancient times, been born with certain mutations within their genetics that enable them to manifest powers or abilities. The age this occurs varies- but powers are more likely to manifest somewhere between 5-13 years old; this average age of manifestation means that mutants tend to be viewed as dangerous, abnormal, or unstable whenever they’re brought out into the public eye.

Until very recently, mutants were deeply despised by the masses and persecuted or worse upon manifestation. It was only at the turn of the late 50’s in North America that they began to accumulate some degree of acceptability. The first major ‘superhero’ to rise into fame was a man who would only be known as Sentinel by most; a mutant with super strength, flight and extreme durability. A great deal has been speculated about his personal life, his true identity, where he came from and how he got to be in the right place in the right time; but one thing is sure: in 1949 when he appeared in a city (then named Silvercrest City) and prevented the collision within and collapse of their largest subway system, he effectively saved hundreds of lives with the use of his mutation.

Some years and a great deal more heroism in-between rose Sentinel to superstardom- he was a celebrity of nearly unmatched degree, comics and merchandise were made of him and their circulation achieved him even international fame as the years went on. Eventually he was given a key to the city, and Silvercrest was officially renamed to Sentinel. The hero himself is long retired, presumed dead, but with his life he beckoned in a new era for those with powers. Certainly, they weren’t safe everywhere, and small towns or specific places and groups of people would always hold specific hostile attitudes towards them. But at the very least in North America, with Sentinel City as a shining utopia of sanctuary and community, mutants are allowed to exist in relative peace.

Now the mutants in Sentinel City thrive. They gather in guilds and teams founded specifically to hold and care for and train those with powers in order to live the best lives they possibly can. Whether this is to be trained and taught better control of their powers alone, or to go into fighting (or perpetuating, theatrically for fun in some cases) crime- people with powers often trickle in from all over the globe for the safety and opportunity it offers.

Teams of those with powers in Sentinel City often congregate into what are professionally known as Guilds. In an official capacity, there are only 7- of course, there are smaller teams founded by groups without interest in being part of the Big Seven, but official guilds tend to be more popular, have more health and safety benefits, and a great deal more privilege. Costumes and identity maskers adhering to some extent to guild colors are by and large mandatory for official guilds, but individuals and smaller teams can follow their own rules.

// guilds ...
scroll
society of truth and order
#open
#soto
★ Focuses on bureaucratic aspects of crime, and law enforcement. Often work alongside police officers and tend to take on cases pertaining to other mutants; with some even being lawyers. ★ Tend to be more isolated; cordial relationship with non-mutants but very private towards them. ★ Protected by The Grid: a security system designed to reject non-mutants. ★ Kinda scary but reliably good people. ★ They keep the other teams in line and grant affiliation to teams who apply for approval. ★ Colors: Black, White, Gold. ★ Motto: “No one above, No one below.” ★
ragtag association
#open
#taggers
★ Help out on a more lowkey level- they keep their ears to the ground and help anyone they come across who might be in need. The superheroes who might help old women across the street or gets cats out of trees. ★ A little more oddball than Lawful- they’ll fight for whoever needs help, no other standards really apply. ★ Will work and usually do work with non-mutants and civilians. ★ Not bound to the law and it doesn’t always show, but when it does HOO BOY does it. ★ Their name acronym is RA and nobody lets them forget it. ★ Colors: Purple, grey. ★ Motto: “Above all else, be genuine” ★
team majestic
#open
#majesties
★ These are the wild mofos. ★ Tend to take on the stuff nobody else can or would, like giant monsters or bad guys considered generally untouchable. ★ The biggest and most widely populated guild, no standards for acceptance beyond being able to kick ass when called to. ★ Kinda like a big badass family. ★ Colors: Red, white, blue, yellow. ★ Motto: “KICK NAMES AND TAKE ASS WE ARE TEAM MAJESTIC shit that came out kinkier than intended” ★
// guilds ...
scroll
greenfield
#open
#greenies
★ Not necessarily a guild in the conventional sense, it more serves as a protective measure and a way to build community between mutants without full control of their powers and who want to live as civilians. ★ The HQ is protected by The Grid just as a safety measure for the identities of those they’re protecting, since a lot of mutants they cover prefer to live without exposing their powers. ★ Offers therapy and power training. ★ They get insurance as well, it’s nice. ★ Colors: Green, orange, yellow. ★ Motto: “By protecting each other, we protect ourselves.” ★
the enrichment center
#open
#tec
★ This is where people go to learn how to control their powers. ★ They do fight crime sometimes, but more as supervised learning exercises. ★ It’s more like a school really, but they teach mutants of all ages how to utilize and control their abilities to the fullest. ★ Captains of other teams will sometimes come to teach here. ★ Colors: Green, white, black, brown. ★ Motto: “ The greatest value is being true to oneself.” ★
team demise
#open
#demi-vils
★ They fight crime on the downlow, kinda more like spies and information gatherers. ★ But what else do they do to occupy their time? ★ They pretend to be villains, because of course they do. ★ Often take on dramatic and exaggerated identities and perform hairbrained schemes for the people, which the other guilds will come to thwart and then fight them. ★ It’s a performance and all the guilds are aware of it, they use it to entertain civilians since there really aren’t any major supervillains around (anymore/yet), and to spar with the other guilds and keep all their skills razor sharp. ★ It’s really fun for everyone involved, like mini festivals. ★ Colors: Black, purple, teal, blue. ★ Motto: “Driven by power, fueled by payment.” ★
// guilds ...
scroll
the myriad
#open
#the mafia
★ The only sanctioned evil guild, and only because they’re legally untouchable. ★ They’re the superhero mafia, and they know it. ★ Has a really elaborate internal culture and they’re super strict about who can join them. ★ Literally the mafia but, like, with laser vision. ★ So the other guilds made a treaty with them: as long as they never go too wild or put civilians / the city in danger, they’ll be allowed to operate. ★ So they do, but not everyone is happy about that both in and outside of the guild. ★ Might be planning something huge and it’s terrifying. ★ Colors: Black, grey, red, yellow, white. ★ Motto: “Unmatched, Unscathed, Unbroken” ★
the magpies
#open
#scoundrels
★ A bunch of thieves and smugglers and dealers of the illicit sort, don’t generally delve into anything more intense than that. ★ They’re based at The Social Hour- a club inside of Sentinel, though nobody actually knows about that except other villains. ★ Tend to have bird or animal related aliases, like Hawk or or Lark etc. ★ They’re a pretty big network but also fairly close knit. ★ People come from all backgrounds. ★ Colors: Navy, black, silver. ★ Motto: “Why not?” ★
the red court
#open
#reapers
★ Probably the scariest thing out there. ★ A huge crime network that stretches out over thousands of different illicit activities, including but not restricted to murder, armed robbery, and other acts of terrorism. ★ The few members of their circle that have been caught are known for biting off their own tongues when being taken to prison. ★ Their motivations as an organization are not currently known, though individual members have their own reasons and motivations for being there. ★ Every member gets a tattoo of their symbol, they can all be in unique places that have meaning to the wearer- but the most common placements are: inside of lower lip, under eyelid or on sclera, underneath tongue, and on the bottom of their foot (places that are painful and discreet, all meant to prove loyalty). ★ Each member is given an initiation test / rite in order to prove their loyalty. ★ It varies for each new member. ★ It’s never going to be easy or pleasant. ★ Colors: Red, white. ★ Motto: “Why choose fear, when you can choose the Red Court?” ★
// rules ...
first and foremost, and most important: don't be an asshole! we are here to have fun and write with like-minded individuals. we have a no-tolerance policy for any sort of bullying or discrimination. break this rule, and you will immediately be removed from the roleplay & this discord. be inclusive!! don't actively leave out plotting with someone, and don't gossip about them with others. we want to make sure everyone knows they are welcome and that we love to keep them included. we are understanding that intimidation and nervousness are real, so this will not be penalized, however if there is proof of anyone actively leaving someone else out this rule will be considered broken. (EVERYONE THAT JOINS MUST BE 18+)
we understand that real life gets very busy but we are requesting that you post consistently each week based on the number of characters you have in the roleplay. 1-2 characters and we ask for one post a week, 3-4 characters and we request for two posts a week. post requirements are per player, not per character. in the event that you are going to be unable to reach post requirements, that is a-okay! life is extra crazy lately and we totally understand that. it's an easy fix too! just hop on over to the "inactivity" channel in the discord (which is required), and using the template provided, give us a heads up on how long you're going to be absent! a reason isn't required, though it's always appreciated. failure to notify absence paired with a failure to reach post requirements will result in the earning of a strike. easiest rule to remember, three strikes and you're out! really, all we ask for is communication. if you are unable to communicate with us effectively in terms of your activity, then we'll have no choice but to remove you from the roleplay.
a utopia of today, can become the reality of tomorrow
© reveriee

Just a few things to cover that weren't really covered in the interest check: this roleplay is going to work a little differently than other roleplays I've seen on here. I've noticed a trend of people being unable to keep up with rp demands because of their personal lives, so I want to try and mitigate that. This rp will have two in-character threads. One will be an open world that doesn't have an integral plot-driven focus, while the other will be specifically for plot-driven events (which will be optional to partake in). Hopefully this provides some relief when it comes to feeling like you have to shove a certain character into an interaction, even if it doesn't fit for them to be there-- while still being included in the world.

My GM Team ( kevin kevin and DreamBoy DreamBoy ) and I want you to know that we plan for this to be y'alls roleplay just as much as it is ours. Your experience will be personalized. We invite you to submit plot events and locations to further flesh out the story and the world once you become a an official member!

Please know that this is an application-based roleplay. Just because you apply, does not mean that you will be accepted! The GM Team and I will discuss each character submitted to determine if they fit appropriately into the world or not. Guild Leaders and Assistant Leaders will be acceptable characters, and there are many available. We will also allow non-factioned mutants, as well as non-mutants that serve a purpose to the story. Keep in mind that non-mutants will be few and far between.

This Roleplay is LORE HEAVY! However, I and the GM Team feel as if we've made a very interesting world for you to come join us in! Please give the following documents a read to get further immersed into the world with us! We look forward to your interest!!

HISTORY RESOURCE
GUILD RESOURCE
LOCATIONS RESOURCE
(these are hyperlinks)

Last edited:
we’re going to have so much fun!!

Well I’ll be joining the Myriad. They're like the only well organized/powerful group on the list that aren’t sellouts or just straight up evil. A whole team just to put on fake villain shows to entertain the public… smh.

MyriadFTW

Application based?….So will you guys let us know what’s wrong with the character if it’s not accepted so we can fix it or once we submit that’s it we don’t get any more chances?

Frankly the idea that there will be two threads running in parallel seems a little daunting,but I may like to get into this.

Question: are "late bloomers" generally common enough that society is generally ready for it? Or do most people assume that "if you make it to 18 without mutating,you're not a mutant".

I haven't done any RP in a while, but this sounds intriguing! I especially like the idea of two threads!

This looks fantastic. Well, you've invented new and terrible ways to drive me mad with scroll boxes~ but apart from that really fantastic.

Application based?….So will you guys let us know what’s wrong with the character if it’s not accepted so we can fix it or once we submit that’s it we don’t get any more chances?
I do like to give people second chances, so we will absolutely communicate with someone if we feel like they've fallen a bit short! Once we've communicated, that person would have a set amount if time to make any changes and then we would make our final decision. :)

This looks fantastic. Well, you've invented new and terrible ways to drive me mad with scroll boxes~ but apart from that really fantastic.
I have to agree the scrollboxes almost drove me mad too 😭 I was so caught up in the aesthetic though lmao

Last edited:
Frankly the idea that there will be two threads running in parallel seems a little daunting,but I may like to get into this.

Question: are "late bloomers" generally common enough that society is generally ready for it? Or do most people assume that "if you make it to 18 without mutating,you're not a mutant".
I think late bloomers would be fine!! I'm open to that idea for sure!

I haven't done any RP in a while, but this sounds intriguing! I especially like the idea of two threads!

Interested!

I'M LOOKING DISRESPECTFULLY

I love the idea of the two threads— this is super interesting. I'll be for sure applying.<3
So lovely to have all of your interest ♡ looking g forward to seeing what characters you bring forth once the character thread is up!

Ahhh hi guys!

Hmm might actually go for a vertigo powered character if its allowed!

Ahh im glad! Cause I might go for Cara Delevingne for character fc and Vertigo as a power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back