Viewpoint Unpopular roleplay opinions?

I've never been in an rp where there's ever been moere than one post rated.

Usually, there's approximately one post that's rated (usually the op to say "good job you set the scene let's do this") and then nobody cares enough to like posts afterwards. The OOC is a different story but it's really just a chat thread tangentially related to the roleplay anyway.

I've never been in an rp where there's ever been moere than one post rated.

Usually, there's approximately one post that's rated (usually the op to say "good job you set the scene let's do this") and then nobody cares enough to like posts afterwards. The OOC is a different story but it's really just a chat thread tangentially related to the roleplay anyway.
i couldn't say the same

oh, oh

this is as much a general writing opinion as an rp one but uh

"muse" is basically just a synonym for "feeling like it"

likewise "not having my muse" is a synonym for "i don't feel like it"

For some inconceivable reason people seem to be under the impression that saying that you have lost the desire to write in a roleplay is somehow rude. It isn't, you're rude for not saying that you don't want to participate in the roleplay anymore.

okay, so, fantasy roleplayers might not agree with this, but... elves are literally the most boring fantasy race there is. they're just humans with spiky ears and magic that live in the woods! i'm honestly tired to death of them 😭 i've seen a few good elf concepts, one where they were creepy ape-like beings and another where they were these weird plant-humanoid creatures, but other than that, i can't stand them.

and don't get me started on aliens... the reason i often avoid sci-fi is because for some reason, the aliens almost always look like funky humans with maybe four eyes. that, or an alien that looks exactly like a human woman but with green skin. thankfully i've avoided this so far during sci-fi roleplays on rpn, but i needed to get this off my chest lmao

Oh my goodness I actually agree with this so much 😂 I beta read for people often and whenever I see they have elves in their story I always internally cringe because honestly, so many people just copy Tolkien. I can't even be mad at Tolkien because he is the OG (well... technically Norse Mythology is the OG but still).

I really feel they could be better if people took the concept and made it their own rather than just having carbon copies of Tolkien elves

Actually had a few people use muse as synonym for character on this site.

ex. My muse is X , your muse is Y.

Seen it here and a lot of other places. Kind of annoys me tbh because a muse is what inspires you, a character you make is the product of that inspiration. Rain makes the flowers grow, but if you start calling flowers "rain" that's going to get hella confusing. Calling your characters a muse islike suggesting that they are independent creatures living in a universe unconnected to you and your imagination that poke through the veil from time to time being all "hey write about me!"

Also please I know language is dynamic and ever changing before anyone gets on that high horse. XD

Calling your characters a muse islike suggesting that they are independent creatures living in a universe unconnected to you and your imagination that poke through the veil from time to time being all "hey write about me!"
No, that's how characters actually work.

Calling your characters a muse islike suggesting that they are independent creatures living in a universe unconnected to you and your imagination that poke through the veil from time to time being all "hey write about me!"
Wait, That's not how it works? Are you telling me I'm legitimately crazy?

Last edited:
everyone really wants to do dark roleplays covering deep, plight-of-mankind topics. they're so overdone. angst is good and all, but when you're constantly talking about drugs, mental illness, crime, etc. it gets to be boring, and sometimes comes across as romanticizing it.

where are all the softer, innocent roleplays? the puppy love, the awkward stumbling around each other because you're so enamored with the thought of the other? those are what i want, and i can never find anyone to actually do them with me :(

everyone really wants to do dark roleplays covering deep, plight-of-mankind topics. they're so overdone. angst is good and all, but when you're constantly talking about drugs, mental illness, crime, etc. it gets to be boring, and sometimes comes across as romanticizing it.

where are all the softer, innocent roleplays? the puppy love, the awkward stumbling around each other because you're so enamored with the thought of the other? those are what i want, and i can never find anyone to actually do them with me :(
I find it hard because I like a mix up between the two, where sometimes it's really dark but sometimes the characters just sit back and have a cuddle while watching a movie. It's nearly impossible to do this outside of a high school environment, because even if you'd like the idea placed into a fandom setting, the instant assumption is you want a high school romance. No, I left school to do it at home because I hated it, I have no desire to role play it.

By school I also mean college and uni, because I cannot tell you how many times I've said "I don't do high school romance" and their response is "but what about college, as then they're older?" NO. This is like saying you don't do zombie role plays only to have someone go "yeah but what about violent redneck torture zombies?".

Honestly my characters have more personality than I do
Same.

Also same but I want to know where the heroic heroes and awesome evil villains and slapstick comedies are. Where's the glass half full? Where is it!?

Not the romance part, though. I can deal without that. Heck, I'd prefer to be without it.

Seen it here and a lot of other places. Kind of annoys me tbh because a muse is what inspires you, a character you make is the product of that inspiration. Rain makes the flowers grow, but if you start calling flowers "rain" that's going to get hella confusing. Calling your characters a muse islike suggesting that they are independent creatures living in a universe unconnected to you and your imagination that poke through the veil from time to time being all "hey write about me!"

Also please I know language is dynamic and ever changing before anyone gets on that high horse. XD
I joined this site and was kinda confused what a muse even was, but since I saw everyone else use it thought it was just slang for "character" here or something lol

A Muse is any of nine goddesses, the daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne, who preside over the arts and sciences.

In this scenario it's likely in reference to either Calliope, Thalia, or Melpomene (Epic Poetry, Comedy, and Tragedy respectively).

A Muse is any of nine goddesses, the daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne, who preside over the arts and sciences.

In this scenario it's likely in reference to either Calliope, Thalia, or Melpomene (Epic Poetry, Comedy, and Tragedy respectively).
As someone who is an avid fan of mythology, that is a major reason why I was confused- but assumed that was partly the root for it

Conversations like that make me want to conduct an ethnographic study of roleplaying websites.

Ghosting isn't that big of a deal unless you've established some form of OOC bond/friendship. I definitely have partners I would be very upset about if they ghosted me, but I don't really get what the big deal is when people ghost before an RP starts or even shortly after. I get it can be disappointing/frustrating, especially if it happens frequently, but I never understood why it was such a frequent subject of vents/rants.

Ghosting isn't that big of a deal unless you've established some form of OOC bond/friendship. I definitely have partners I would be very upset about if they ghosted me, but I don't really get what the big deal is when people ghost before an RP starts or even shortly after. I get it can be disappointing/frustrating, especially if it happens frequently, but I never understood why it was such a frequent subject of vents/rants.

i agree with this. i mean, yeah it absolutely sucks, but it's just sort of... how some people operate, you know? plenty of people have experienced someone going off on them, stalking them, or harassing them when they say they're no longer interested in an rp. sometimes you just don't click and you don't want to risk the fallout for something that never really started. actually talking to someone for a longer period of time is another story, though, like you said.

Last edited:
What other "#Relatable" complaints would they use, then?
It's the roleplaying equivalent of saying you don't like the DMV. Most people have experienced it on some scale and no one likes it, but it's an incredibly low-hanging fruit.
People who chime in for the sake of it in threads like these normally mention it, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back