Viewpoint Unpopular roleplay opinions?

I could hold a knife to your throat.
Not before I cut your arm off with my katana, you couldn't.

Also, what the hell do people have against aliens in their sci-fi roleplays. Why would I want to play as a human in outer space.

alright i totally agree with you on the subject of ghosting, it sucks and no one likes it. moving on to my personal opinion: fancy or advanced html/bbcode is distracting, time consuming, and not all that efficient. sure, a scrollbox here and there with some nicely laid out text is wonderful, but those boxes where i have to click different areas to find different pieces of information, and the boxes are labeled only by number or photograph, not by text? stop. i just wanna scroll down. we get it, it's aesthetically pleasing and you're great with code, that's great, but i'm trying to find that one piece of lore to add to my character and i don't remember what picture i have to click on, goddamn it!

Last edited:
alright i totally agree with you on the subject of ghosting, it sucks and no one likes it. moving on to my personal opinion: fancy or advanced html/bbcode is distracting, time consuming, and not all that efficient. sure, a scrollbox here and there with some nicely laid out text is wonderful, but those boxes where i have to click different areas to find different pieces of information, and the boxes are labeled only by number or photograph, not by picture? stop. i just wanna scroll down. we get it, it's aesthetically pleased and you're great with code, that's great, but i'm trying to find that one piece of lore to add to my character and i don't remember what picture i have to click on, goddamn it!

okay number one, i really like your icon and title. re-animator is one of my favorite movies

second, i agree completely. a lot of them require a lot of pictures and information that is really unnecessary for a roleplay and are a nightmare for mobile users. as i get further into the roleplay community i start to agree with character sheets less and less, tbh. they're such a pain to fill out and so much of the information is more impactful if roleplayed out. basically all i need is some basic info and the appearance of the character and im ready to go at this point.

okay number one, i really like your icon and title. re-animator is one of my favorite movies

second, i agree completely. a lot of them require a lot of pictures and information that is really unnecessary for a roleplay and are a nightmare for mobile users. as i get further into the roleplay community i start to agree with character sheets less and less, tbh. they're such a pain to fill out and so much of the information is more impactful if roleplayed out. basically all i need is some basic info and the appearance of the character and im ready to go at this point.

on the subject of re-animator:
TgDgzdb.jpg

Sad: Making all of the characters in the friend group beforehand and only letting players give names to them

Chad: Taking the time to work out the group dynamic after all of the players are accounted for and allowing them to be involved in the creation of their own characters

Sad: Making all of the characters in the friend group beforehand and only letting players give names to them

Chad: Taking the time to work out the group dynamic after all of the players are accounted for and allowing them to be involved in the creation of their own characters

Honestly? I vibe with this

I thought the whole point of roleplaying was being able to build your own stories from scratch and giving life to your own characters. Playing entirely by someone else's set of morals and traits sounds absurd to me.

Apparently this is one but it shouldn't be 😭

Just because I have time to write doesn't mean I want to reply to an RP. Sometimes I want to spend that time reading, or watching a show, or even doing personal writing (I have put aside a few RPs for that) and I think people should respect if someone does not want to reply to an RP everytime they have free time. I need my muse yo...

I mean... I guess I am a muse but... You get the point.

People should be allowed to drop a roleplay at any time and you shouldn't try to pressure them into continuing. If somebody stops responding or even has the guts to tell you that they aren't interested-I know some of you have anxiety, so do I-you shouldn't act like they're the bad guy. THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO STOP PLAYING WITH YOU.

I thought the whole point of roleplaying was being able to build your own stories from scratch and giving life to your own characters. Playing entirely by someone else's set of morals and traits sounds absurd to me.
IDK it sounds like a fun role-playing exercise to me, but I've interpreted canon characters as well before. Definitely not the norm, though.

IDK it sounds like a fun role-playing exercise to me, but I've interpreted canon characters as well before. Definitely not the norm, though.
I think there's a difference between that and playing characters designed to fill a role just because you wanted to get into an RP where the setup required it.

Sort of on the same note as the face-claim discussion that has frequented every page of this thread, my unpopular take is that no face claim or a text description is better than an anime or manga claim.
To summarize that statement a little more harshly, I just don't think anime face-claims are good, like at all. Unless all parties agree that they're roleplaying an anime, I guess.

Sort of on the same note as the face-claim discussion that has frequented every page of this thread, my unpopular take is that no face claim or a text description is better than an anime or manga claim.
To summarize that statement a little more harshly, I just don't think anime face-claims are good, like at all. Unless all parties agree that they're roleplaying an anime, I guess.
Don't you mean worse?

I am totally down with anime face claims if I am playing in an anime fandom or anime style RP, but I find them deeply weird and distracting if the setting is more realistic. Everyone else... pictures are of normal realistic-looking people (or elves, vampires, golems w/e) and one person has a big-boobie cat girl as their character pic... no thanks.

I am totally down with anime face claims if I am playing in an anime fandom or anime style RP, but I find them deeply weird and distracting if the setting is more realistic. Everyone else... pictures are of normal realistic-looking people (or elves, vampires, golems w/e) and one person has a big-boobie cat girl as their character pic... no thanks.

Exaaactly.
And to be honest in my experience (beyond this particular user account, obviously) people who are stuck on the anime mindset honestly are very difficult to roleplay with. It does not translate well to a cooperative, realistic story collaboration environment at all.

Exaaactly.
And to be honest in my experience (beyond this particular user account, obviously) people who are stuck on the anime mindset honestly are very difficult to roleplay with. It does not translate well to a cooperative, realistic story collaboration environment at all.

I don't find that. I've played/am playing in some great anime RPs.

Now that depends entirely on your definition of realism.
I was about to ask about that. What is realism?
Is realism believably? Is it grit? Does it really just come down to using photos?
This is the kind of thing I've been thinking about since high-school. I've been with groups that saw it as this golden standard that all should strive for but I don't know what the consensus on the definition of it is in the community.

I was about to ask about that. What is realism?
Is realism believably? Is it grit? Does it really just come down to using photos?
This is the kind of thing I've been thinking about since high-school. I've been with groups that saw it as this golden standard that all should strive for but I don't know what the consensus on the definition of it is in the community.
I see it as a story that doesn't stretch the bounds of reality too far, not in its ideas exactly, but in its character motivations and actions. For example you could have a role play set on an Alien planet and it still be "realistic".

Also, it balances the idea of "life isn't fair" with the highs and lows of existence. Not everything will be dark and horrible, but not everyone will be a fluffy unicorn that has no problems whatsoever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back