Experiences Uniformity and Character Sheets

Gowi

dreamer memer
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
General discussion, but for us Group GMs I have a question.

Do you prefer sheets to be strictly in the same format (see: uniformity) or do you not put much thought in it? I’ve role-played a long time and I’ve seen in the rise of coding and aesthetics taking prominence people seem to value a character sheet thread that follows the same CS skeleton to the letter. What are your thoughts about this?

I can see the benefits of character sheets staying in a uniform and consistent format along the whole characters thread, although I personally don't mind people coding their sheets as long as they stick with the usual deal of keeping things convenient to read and easy on the eyes (especially on mobile).

Still, it can be some of a divisive topic among people as not everyone is tolerant of every aesthetic, and there's always the possibility someone will bring it up, even if you as a GM are chill about it. Regardless of whether it comes up, I want character sheets to provide the best of both worlds and would definitely want the standard, non-coded version of a character sheet available alongside the coded one, hidden underneath a spoiler.

As far as the skeleton of the CS, I think it's probably best to keep that one fairly consistent. However, there's something I've been interested in trying with the skeleton which would add to its characterization while still keeping things easy to read for the most part, which would be adding the ability to rename certain sections of the sheet to something similar, based on what would best suit the character. I'd provide an example, but I'm not sure whether or not it's the main topic of discussion here.

I think the big problem some people might have is of coded sheets. If you aren't particularly good with coding it might turn you off on a RP if they are asking for you to fill those out or not apply.

Coding is definitely intimidating stuff at first glance. If the requirement is literally to know at least a decent amount about coding, then I'm definitely gonna pass on that deal.

If it's something simpler, like filling in the blanks for a coded CS in order to have them all fit a specific theme, I think that would definitely be doable. I've seen it before in a group roleplay, and with a little help I don't it wouldn't be too complicated to do.

For the most part, though, I'd probably keep things nice and plain. I don't use code so much for visual appeal as I do for organization and convenience to the reader.

I would say it's best to remain flexible with this. Forcing players who don't like to code to code, or prohibiting people who like to code from coding are both silly moves that will unecessarily lose you players. Trying to force people to have a redundant learned skill or to not put in extra work for something they enjoy and harms no one is always a waste.

If a GM really wants uniform coding, then providing the full template- preferably with a CS generator which can be produced with BBCode, and players just have to input the text- I think is also entirely acceptable and can be fun once in a while, as just a bit of a refreshing thing.

Even in terms of content, I think it's fine to be flexible, but only upwards. Like if something is in the CS template it shoudl also be in every player's character sheets. Maybe you don't think it's important to give out a character's personality, but if you want to be part of an RP where that is part of the CS, you should have to include it regardless. On the other hand, adding a segment to a CS shouldn't be treated as a problem.

Ramblings of a mind going pretty late, but I think this expresses my thoughts on the matter decently well.

Do you prefer sheets to be strictly in the same format (see: uniformity) or do you not put much thought in it? I’ve role-played a long time and I’ve seen in the rise of coding and aesthetics taking prominence people seem to value a character sheet thread that follows the same CS skeleton to the letter. What are your thoughts about this?
Yes, I prefer the same format. Not only am I very picky to formatting to the point of refusing to read overformatted text; it is also very convenient, as you know where to look for the exact information you need, it's easy to compare sheets, and it's just bluntly appealing: not to have to switch between white CS to black CS to rainbow CS in every other post when you look through the characters.

Besides, you don't have to overkill with formatting to create a good character sheet. It's the contents that matter. Imo, if you put most work into formatting, this is your main value and not actually playing or creating a compelling character. Like-uh, masking a shitty candy with fancy wrapper to attract attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back