Types of role plays and things role players do that annoy you

Whistler said:
People that just react.
People who are in a multitude of different commitments, but then fail at keeping all.

People who are inflexible regarding their own characters and justify it with the amount of years they have roleplayed that same character.

I have to disagree with the last one. If you have been using a character so long that they are completely flushed out, you shouldn't have to change them. Then again, you should only use that character in the world they originated in (in my opinion). Any time I've done that, I created the world and the RP, so I know what I'm talking about with them. I suppose an exception to the first two sentences would be fandom OCs, but I've never had to deal with that.

I'm personally fine with an abusive background as long as it is accurate, as child abuse and domestic abuse is a real thing. I do have a few characters who had been abused, but they're not like "Boo-hoo, my dad abused me, pity me please". In fact, I rarely mention the abuse, except implying it in the bio, unless if I'm asked.

A HUGE pet peeve of mine is when a character hits another without giving them a chance to evade. I encountered this constantly on Warrior Cats RPs on the Nook device. I can't tell you how many cat OCs I lost to this.

UmbreonRogue said:
I'm personally fine with an abusive background as long as it is accurate, as child abuse and domestic abuse is a real thing. I do have a few characters who had been abused, but they're not like "Boo-hoo, my dad abused me, pity me please". In fact, I rarely mention the abuse, except implying it in the bio, unless if I'm asked.
A HUGE pet peeve of mine is when a character hits another without giving them a chance to evade. I encountered this constantly on Warrior Cats RPs on the Nook device. I can't tell you how many cat OCs I lost to this.
I have no problem when a few characters have pretty horrible back stories, I just don't like it when almost everyone has one.

I also strongly agree with your second point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll admit that I'm kind of a sucker for fandom crossovers that don't make sense, as long as it's some big multiverse thing. I was in a fun group once that had a crossover of AU versions of characters from pretty much every fandom, and it was a glorious mess.

I find crossovers more palatable the more things are being crossed, personally. When it's just two things you can get pretty weird and unpleasant mixes, but when there's like 50 settings chucked together, you can easily justify any weirdness, and any single setting that doesn't really fit will blend better when surrounded by other stuff.

I can say from experience there is a few things that drive me crazy, and negatively effect the RP as a whole (Also these apply for this sites equivalent of detailed RPs_

1. Short articles and responses that are designed to engage your character or nation:

Ex:

"You: Christian Schwarz walks into the room, his MK III kevlar suit still stained with blood and dripping as he searches for Elaine Blischift, the leader of the Spectors that have cost the New German Republic so many of its people, the ones responsible for the destruction of the east wing of Essenstrum academy, and the ones responsible for the death of his father. These acts against his love ones and by extension, his country would not go unpunished. Christian motioned with his fingers for the 3 men behind him to stack up next to the entry way that should lead to Elaines office. Christian takes a moment and readjusts his grip on his MP 10 before taking point and turning around the corner and walking down the hallway at an accelerated pace. As they approach the office two guards are waiting for them and before they can unholster their weapons two short bursts exit from the barrels of the squads MP10's hitting both the guards in the head, and before they even hit the floor they are dead. Christian then kicks the large oak door down and searches for Elaine.

Elaine: Elaine looks at Christian

You (EH..... anything to say...... I dont have to go on here...)

Elaine: (What are you talking about? There is Plenty to go on.)

You: (Seriously....)"

Same goes to short 1 sentence responses to people of influence in an RP game after they take the time you write a nice good letter to you... and then you reply. "Sure" or "Yes" or "No"

2. Trolls... Oh da trolls.... No explanation needed here

3. God complex:

Even when they have been defeated they still act high and mighty like no one could ever take them down even though they already have. Furthermore, large powers and important characters should act a little confident but.... You can lose people you can die and in the end, weaknesses help make more fully developed characters when balanced.

EX: My main characters tend to me extremely skilled in combat and leadership, however they struggle with standard interpersonal and none leadership related communications and tend to be relatively cold and distant because of a tragedy they faced and feel responsible for at some point in their past.

4. Players telling the GM or Game creator how to run their game:

DO NOT GET ME WRONG, we want to hear your feedback and will change, but when you joined the RP you agreed to follow the rules and chances are at some point that feature or RP mechanic was added for a reason. If you have questions or concerns keeps it off the RP and message the creator and give feedback, he changes it great for you if it stays the same then accept it as you agreed to when you agreed to follow the RP rules.

5. Being Disrespectful to new members of the community:

At some point all RP creators will leave, weather we die, get old, become to busy to make RPs. Whatever the case maybe it is crucial for an RP community to help its new memebers improve, grow, and feel welcomed. As some day somone in their ranks will be the one carrying the banner and leading the community towards the future and if their is no new memebers... Then in time you will fail no matter how great the RPs and adventures you create.

UmbreonRogue said:
This. Absolutely this. The flip side, of course, are the people who evade everything. In my opinion it's a matter of balance and what your own character is capable of. You also have to trust yourself to be fair in battle situations. It's a hard balance in non-dice games, but I mean, it's definitely not impossible! ^^

I agree, more or less my background you are RPing as nations. and so kill the soldiers as you please as long as you don't make em embarrassingly ineffective against your own. Just keep your hands off other peoples named characters unless you have permission.

(Reason we don't care about the common soldier in the RPs there is cause... Your experienced BA soldiers just took down 2 soldiers with standard training that I have a million ready to go lined up to take his place, and it helps to develop stronger more interesting characters as they can grow and interact in their world if that makes sense. Other words 1 or 2 grunts, not a big deal, however, an entire army, or named character... Unless the army was wiped out from the map and you said it was wiped from the map you have a problem)

I forget whether I've already said this, but it really irks me when roleplayers respond to every individual sentence instead of responding to just part of it like one would do in a normal conversation. I don't think I've explained what I mean very well, so here's an example:

Me: "Wow the weather is really nice!" character A said. "Do you want to go on a picnic later?"

Rper: "It sure is," character B replies. "Sure."

I don't know if that bothers anyone else, but I find it weird when people go back to respond to every single thing that's been said. I actually purposefully try to craft my responses so that I don't have my character continuing to talk when their character would have likely responded. I don't do things such as have my character ask two questions in a row that a character is expected to answer for instance. Some players seem to think that they should go back and fill in the gaps with responses to every little thing, instead of moving forwards with the dialogue like a typical conversation.

ApfelSeine said:
I forget whether I've already said this, but it really irks me when roleplayers respond to every individual sentence instead of responding to just part of it like one would do in a normal conversation. I don't think I've explained what I mean very well, so here's an example:
Me: "Wow the weather is really nice!" character A said. "Do you want to go on a picnic later?"

Rper: "It sure is," character B replies. "Sure."

I don't know if that bothers anyone else, but I find it weird when people go back to respond to every single thing that's been said. I actually purposefully try to craft my responses so that I don't have my character continuing to talk when their character would have likely responded. I don't do things such as have my character ask two questions in a row that a character is expected to answer for instance. Some players seem to think that they should go back and fill in the gaps with responses to every little thing, instead of moving forwards with the dialogue like a typical conversation.
Or when they literally re-write your post while just filling in blanks where their character responds.

Ex.

• Me : Character A raced into the room and arrived panting at the counter. "Sorry I'm late! Where do you need me?"
  • Them : Character B watches as Character A raced into the room and arrived panting at the counter. "Sorry I'm late! Where do you need me?" Character A said. Character B responds with " That's okay. Could you help with drinks?"

Seriously ninety percent of that is just what I said before. I mean I realize they can observe the action but repeating the dialogue too just seems like you copy and pasted my response then added your own at the end.

nerdyfangirl said:
Or when they literally re-write your post while just filling in blanks where their character responds.
Ex.

• Me : Character A raced into the room and arrived panting at the counter. "Sorry I'm late! Where do you need me?"
  • Them : Character B watches as Character A raced into the room and arrived panting at the counter. "Sorry I'm late! Where do you need me?" Character A said. Character B responds with " That's okay. Could you help with drinks?"

Seriously ninety percent of that is just what I said before. I mean I realize they can observe the action but repeating the dialogue too just seems like you copy and pasted my response then added your own at the end.
Oh wow that's so bad xD It seems so strange to rehash something that already happened, except perhaps to add a character's thoughts on the matter. Repeating existing dialogue is a bizarre choice, especially done word for word like that. I didn't realize that people did that sort of thing.

ApfelSeine said:
Oh wow that's so bad xD It seems so strange to rehash something that already happened, except perhaps to add a character's thoughts on the matter. Repeating existing dialogue is a bizarre choice, especially done word for word like that. I didn't realize that people did that sort of thing.
It was big thing in my old sites. I think it was originally just to beef up the second person's post length. Which seems strange because I mean obviously I would be writing more than one line of dialogue but still. It's like if I can get away with writing a smaller post than I don't see why you think you just need to copy it to make your own just as long.

I mean all that you really need to do is respond and move the story / conversation forward. I already know what happened in my post because I wrote it.

Plus in roleplays with more than two people it just gets confusing. Like someone just basically posted a summarization of everyone else's posts in the middle of the roleplay.

ApfelSeine said:
I've sometimes seen people do this to clarify who they're referring to in group RPs. If there are multiple conversations going on it can be helpful to establish where in the conversation you are.

Lenaara said:
What annoys me the most, apart from everything else mentioned in this thread already, is when a person cannot choose a character to main.
A partner of mine kept doing this throughout the entire RP, which lasted for over 6 months and reached over 1000 pages in Word, and I am surprised it lasted as long as it did. My partner kept introducing one side character after the other, forcing at least 3 sidekicks into each post and scene, even when it was not needed and participation of so many side chars was not making any sense. There was a main ish character (X), an interesting one that I really wanted to find out more about. But the problem was - every single time X was alone with my main character, my partner would either time skip the entire scene or make a bunch of sidekicks from their end appear.

I figured my partner simple loved some particular sidekick that they really wanted to use, so they wrote them in every chance they got. It would have been fine, had I liked those sidekicks. I didn't. They were shallow, usually evil and sadistic, and introduced virtually nothing to the scene apart from annoyance from both my end and from my characters' end.

There is no need in keeping 30+ side characters at the ready, use the ones that make sense and choose one (or two, or three, but not 30) to develop throughout the course of the story. We had to make mini character sheets in order to keep track of the sidekicks that my partner introduced. Granted the RP was long and well developed, but I still know nothing of X and know a lot more of a side character that had made an appearance only in 5 posts.

Long story short - choose a main character, switch to other characters if the story calls for it, but do not clutter every single scene with 10+ characters. It confuses all involved in the RP. It makes it hard to follow the story. It makes it hard to develop interesting ideas as you don't know whom to involve in the said ideas since not even your partner knows which character they favour the most.

No idea if anyone else had ever encountered this issue or even views this as a problem.
Never seen it happen personally but that would be a frustrating problem to run into. I mean I might bring in like a side pair or if we're doing some family thing I might have the relatives take part in some of the plot. But it's not going to be to the exclusion of the actual protagonists - just ya know to flesh out the story / add drama / etc.

I have however run into this issue where people say they'll make two main characters and only ever play one of them. It's a common theme in so called "ratio" roleplays. Where people try to make character divisions "fair" so they basically play the exact same characters as their partner.

So if I were to play a Male, Female, and Sidekick. Than that person would make a Male, Female, and Sidekick. Or alternately ( and this is more common in my personal experience ) They would want some kind of romance but just so it doesn't seem like they're being selfish they would say that they would make a pairing for every one I filled.

So again say I play Roleplayer's Character Boyfriend than they would offer to play a Boyfriend for my character as well.

Which is a nice gesture but the problem is they don't like/want to play a male character they just think they have to make it fair.

And that tends to end in frustration because their second character - the one the make to be fair - is never really used in the plot and just kind of tacked on so it's not like they're being a hypocrite.

I always tell people - you play whoever you want | however many characters you want. I will do the same. I am not interested in "fairness" so much as I am in us both enjoying ourselves.

nerdyfangirl said:
Never seen it happen personally but that would be a frustrating problem to run into. I mean I might bring in like a side pair or if we're doing some family thing I might have the relatives take part in some of the plot. But it's not going to be to the exclusion of the actual protagonists - just ya know to flesh out the story / add drama / etc.
I have however run into this issue where people say they'll make two main characters and only ever play one of them. It's a common theme in so called "ratio" roleplays. Where people try to make character divisions "fair" so they basically play the exact same characters as their partner.

So if I were to play a Male, Female, and Sidekick. Than that person would make a Male, Female, and Sidekick. Or alternately ( and this is more common in my personal experience ) They would want some kind of romance but just so it doesn't seem like they're being selfish they would say that they would make a pairing for every one I filled.

So again say I play Roleplayer's Character Boyfriend than they would offer to play a Boyfriend for my character as well.

Which is a nice gesture but the problem is they don't like/want to play a male character they just think they have to make it fair.

And that tends to end in frustration because their second character - the one the make to be fair - is never really used in the plot and just kind of tacked on so it's not like they're being a hypocrite.

I always tell people - you play whoever you want | however many characters you want. I will do the same. I am not interested in "fairness" so much as I am in us both enjoying ourselves.
Yup, seen that happen as well. People would ask me to 'double up', which is fine, I guess, but I would always prefer one character over the other. Using two main characters divides attention, it takes longer to post, you have to keep them all IC, so on.

So I guess people just use the excuse to 'double up' to open up a potential love interest for the character that they favour, they get what they want, and just leave you hanging since you can't really force them to use the character introduced for the purposes of fairness. I once attempted this 'doubling up' and it ended up horribly. We couldn't focus on either pair, the plot was all over the place, posts were literally segments of different places.

My previous point now makes me wonder if introducing a dozen different characters for each scene is as bad as only ever introducing one character which is a main. And just rolling with the RP, not coming up with any sidekicks or even random NPCs for whatever reason. Laziness I guess. Maybe lack of creativity. Or the strictness of some people who are control freaks when it comes to their settings.

Lenaara said:
Yup, seen that happen as well. People would ask me to 'double up', which is fine, I guess, but I would always prefer one character over the other. Using two main characters divides attention, it takes longer to post, you have to keep them all IC, so on.
So I guess people just use the excuse to 'double up' to open up a potential love interest for the character that they favour, they get what they want, and just leave you hanging since you can't really force them to use the character introduced for the purposes of fairness. I once attempted this 'doubling up' and it ended up horribly. We couldn't focus on either pair, the plot was all over the place, posts were literally segments of different places.

My previous point now makes me wonder if introducing a dozen different characters for each scene is as bad as only ever introducing one character which is a main. And just rolling with the RP, not coming up with any sidekicks or even random NPCs for whatever reason. Laziness I guess. Maybe lack of creativity. Or the strictness of some people who are control freaks when it comes to their settings.
Well it's not so much an issue with multiple protagonists - if the roleplay actually calls for them that's fine. I have played sibling pairs often each as a main character. Or in one of my current 1x1s I play two mains as well. But that's because the plot calls for a group of characters and it wouldn't make since to just play two people from that group when we can play all four.

For me the issue is more people kind of assuming that they have to play a set number of characters in a roleplay to make it interesting. It's not a numbers game - I'd rather you only play one character well than half a dozen haphazardly.

Plus the whole fairness issue just kind of irks me when it's more or less just a way to manipulate people into playing a character you want them too by saying - well at least I offered to play such and so a character too! I didn't just say you must play X Character without making an effort.

But I'm like if you aren't going to play that second character anyway than I'd just as soon you be honest about it. We'll both get along much better if I know who you're actually playing rather than who you say you'll play just so I don't kick up a fuss.

assassinkid17 said:
another type of RPer I hate is the type that needs everything explained to them
Explained how? The setting or the plot itself?

Some RPers might be unwilling to jump into a setting that they know little about and start filling in the blanks themselves without having the general knowledge to back up their decisions. Reason for that is simple - many RPers are control freaks and are willing to completely end the RP if their partner tries to add something to the setting/plot that doesn't fit the overall image of the one who proposed the setting/idea originally. So they are cautious and ask for details. I see nothing bad with it, imho.

Types of Roleplayers I dislike

• The "I'm better than you" Type - The ones who have the pathological need to have the smartest, fastest, strongest and most invincible character that ever walked the Earth just so they can win every fight with minimal to no effort. To me RP is about the struggle the characters need to go through to accomplish a goal, the greater the obstacle the greater is the gratification of defeating it. These players ignore this main directive and play their power fantasy dragging others along.
  • The "I don't give a fuck" Type - The ones who mechanically play RP putting the least possible effort and not getting invested when everybody else is. They are easily identifiable as their characters don't do or say much, their posts are the bare minimum length and their description is uninspired at best.
  • The "I'm so random" Type - The ones who just play however the fuck they want to play and trample over other characters, other players and the stories while doing whatever they want. They don't play to win, they play to fuck around. In Pen and Paper RPG my cousin (When he plays) is this type, he actively goes out of script, tries to sabotage the story just for his own entretaiment. Like dragging the whole party to a whorehouse and not allowing anybody to leave because he wanted to fuck around instead of play.

The Types of Roleplays I dislike

• Railroading: The kind of RP that is totally dictated by the creator, who ignores everything to stick a single story without adapting to his players and what happens on the thread. Most of the time this are the "I'm better than you" Type, who create stories that make their characters look like uber-badasses. I consider this a cardinal sin of RPing.

Instead of one-liners two word responses. "He smiled." "He nodded." "He sat."

I don't like when some rpers think that the only thing I do all day is responding to the roleplay.

When you ask people whether they enjoy the roleplay or not and they say they do but they proceed to ditch you a few days later. (Also when you see them replying to all the roleplays but yours)

When i'm stuck playing males cause everybody wants to play females.

• I really hate those constant "damsel in distress" characters. Like seriously, can a girl not hold her own in a fight? And then, I end up playing male characters all the time because everyone wants to be a helpless "princess" of some sort.

• Bad grammar kills me. It literally hurts me inside to see run-on sentences, constant spelling errors, no punctuation whatsoever, etc. I'm fine with minor errors because everyone makes mistakes, but once it's the same thing over and over in every post I just lose my motivation to RP. Then to top it off, I'm gaining bad opinions of someone who could possibly be a good friend/future RP partner.

• One-liners/minimum effort kills my will to RP as well. Sometimes I'm grateful to these posts because I feel like it betters my writing since I have to constantly be thinking of ways to respond and get a couple of sentences.

• I hate those roleplayers who pick out a single character in an RP to relate to. For example, my character, A as I will call her, is traveling with another character who I shall call B. As they are walking along, they stumble upon an already overpowered character who decides to travel along with them without A's and B's permission. Then in OOC, the RPer of the OP character would come to me and say something like, "Hey, I really like your character. Tell me some ways to bond with her so that they can be friends. I'll go change my application completely so that my character and yours can be best friends." This just annoys me to no end. I get that they want to be included, but changing a character completely so that they bond well with one other character? Not the way to go.

• This one isn't really something I hate, but it makes me feel guilty. Has anyone ever joined an RP that seemed pretty active just to have the RP die within a couple of days after you joined? This has happened several times in a row to me and it makes me feel like I killed the RP.

Something I have come to disdain in Fantasy Roleplays are the people that begin with magical items. Particularly magical weapons or armor. The exception is spellcasting tools like talismans or wands.. I mean a Wizard or a Priest needs some medium to cast their spells right?

But someone that begins with that flaming katana or Plate mail that nullifies magic is already a recipe for Mary Sue disaster.

-Damsels in distress. I can't stress enough how much this grinds my gears. Saving a person once or twice is fine but every single time they breathe, they are in danger. I can't stand it.

-Roleplays revolving around one character.

-Roleplays of multiple genres mixed into one. I don't mind fantasy with like medieval. What I am talking about is, example, a modern woman with amnesia finds out her husband is a werewolf/angel/vampire from the Enterprise which is in a galaxy far far away sent to stop the zombie apocalypse while trying to help her recovery memory to realize she's really a queen thrust through time into the present.

I've seen it happen, not like that, but you get what I'm saying.

-Instant romance. I much rather have it play out, if it happens, to see whether the characters will like each other or what they've been through to reach that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back