Other Tropes or cliches you enjoy?

The bad boy troupe will always be number one for me. Even if I'd probably never get with someone like that in real life, I have such a soft spot for them as characters, especially if they're well-written. (Oh yeah, I went through a huge Heathers phase. J.D, my homie.)

I love characters with insane powers just loosing it for a second. All that control they had over it suddenly snaps, and suddenly they can't reign it in.

Opposites attract, always fun. Sticking enemies to lovers under here. (Or alternatively, lovers to enemies back to lovers.) Loud, proud flirt who deals with someone easily flustered but somewhat insane to everyone else.

So many good ones...

The bad boy troupe will always be number one for me. Even if I'd probably never get with someone like that in real life, I have such a soft spot for them as characters, especially if they're well-written. (Oh yeah, I went through a huge Heathers phase. J.D, my homie.)

I love characters with insane powers just loosing it for a second. All that control they had over it suddenly snaps, and suddenly they can't reign it in.

Opposites attract, always fun. Sticking enemies to lovers under here. (Or alternatively, lovers to enemies back to lovers.) Loud, proud flirt who deals with someone easily flustered but somewhat insane to everyone else.

So many good ones...
We seem to have very similar tastes in tropes lol

*Deadly Chef- One of my favorites tropes is definitely anime's deadly chef. These characters have a superhuman lack of skill in cooking, to the point they can perfectly follow a recipe and actively make it a deadly poison, bubbling like a witch's cauldron, and often being acidic enough to melt the table or even come to life as some soup abomination. The most mild of these tend to come with minor mishaps like replacing sugar and salt or using industrial oil instead of cooking oil, while others are aware or otherwise possible to use as weapons of mass destruction, the worst threat an anime character can imagine.

*RPG Fantasy Worlds- I love RPG-esque mechanics in worlds and all the different ways in which not only can they serve as a basis for the story, but can be tweaked to work in very different ways for their respective worlds. There's something also about it where I just get oddly excited about those world's RPG aspects.

*800 Year Old Loli- Combining aspects of wisdom and innocence, badassery and cuteness, this trope of characters appearing like little girls but actually being far older than they appear (and sometimes, than they act) is a trope I really like because it combines so much of the things I like to watch. I really like the cuteness style of anime lolis and I really like characters with baffling amounts of power who are not suppose to be. I like the unique dynamics and bits of wisdom these characters tend to pull out, simple truths with a child's level of wording and an ancient immortal's depth of understanding.

*Traps and Genderbends are the Cutest Things- In anime there is this hilarious trope wherein often the ones aknowledged as the cutest girls aren't actually girls at all, but traps or in some manga genderbends. The contrast of the meta knowledge of this, as well as the characters trying to self-argue about the whole idea is just hilarious to watch, especially in stuff like this:

4bf.gif

*Pointing out the Tropes Trope- Another anime thing, I tend to really like anime's internal humor idea of gradually incorporating it's own tropes with a heavy degree of self-awareness, having the character's be conscious of them and using it to either reinforce or pull a twist on the trope. Even better is when the anime plays meta and actively exploits the trope in some way.

*Hypnosis is Brainwashing on Steroids- One of the things that always fascinated me the most is hypnosis. It's always been a perplexing and truly fascinating topic for me, not to mention exciting, but upon doing research I discovered it wasn't quite what I originally throught it might be. Nonetheless, I love that the idea of hypnosis is that more fantastical version, where one can magically and with no preparations snap their fingers and make someone else think they are a dog. Speaking of which...

*Werewolves are Dogs- I like dogs. I like the idea of werewolves essentially having dog-like behavior in either form.

*Self-sacrificial misunderstood hero- And just general suffering-based self-sacrifice. If there's a story that really pulls my heartstrings, this is one of them. A character sacrificing not their life or their physical well-being but their place in the world, society and people's eyes. A hero who is a hero because they will genuinely take the blow and make the call to ave the day, or who endures the suffering for the sake of what makes them heroic.

*Repenting Monster- Remorse is perhaps the emotion that I can most relate to. For reasons that don't matter here, there is much I regret about my past, actions done selfishly and without proper thought or care that are reflected in my life and relationships today. It is for this reason that stories where characters can overcome their past mistakes- mistakes they were inexcusably responsible for- and overcome the scars of the monster they used to be resonate with me so well.

*Comedic Misunderstandings- Sometimes, anime conversations where simple lapses in wording or context can have an entire conversation where the characters feel increasingly more like the other person is insane or they themselves become increasingly more confused, as the audience gets to witness them both misunderstanding each other in the most hilarious way.

*The Perfect Child- In stories about parenting more often than not, the children are just as idealized as the parents. They are much more mature than a child their age is supposed to be, they make less fusses are altogether better children for their parents. There's a lot less of a mess involved all in all, but despite this lack of realism, I think it helps to sell the emotional perspective of the movies. After all, the entire concept of the movie or the show is predicated on the conflict of parenting, so it only makes sense to connect the to the emotional state by showing the child in a better light, a light closer to what the parent might see in their child. Or at least so I think. What I know is that movies about that element like Maquia when the promised flower blooms and Wolf Children have really been impactful movies for me, and I think that one of the reasons why, other than parenting instincts I believe I've developed, though since I don't yet actually have children of my own I wouldn't be able to tell if they are.

I could go at this all day, I think, so I'll stop for now. I'll add something else here if I feel it's really important to include it.

I notice that pretty much all of my tropes are from anime. Then again, did you expect anything else from me?

Last edited:
*Deadly Chef- One of my favorites tropes is definitely anime's deadly chef. These characters have a superhuman lack of skill in cooking, to the point they can perfectly follow a recipe and actively make it a deadly poison, bubbling like a witch's cauldron, and often being acidic enough to melt the table or even come to life as some soup abomination. The most mild of these tend to come with minor mishaps like replacing sugar and salt or using industrial oil instead of cooking oil, while others are aware or otherwise possible to use as weapons of mass destruction, the worst threat an anime character can imagine.

*RPG Fantasy Worlds- I love RPG-esque mechanics in worlds and all the different ways in which not only can they serve as a basis for the story, but can be tweaked to work in very different ways for their respective worlds. There's something also about it where I just get oddly excited about those world's RPG aspects.

*800 Year Old Loli- Combining aspects of wisdom and innocence, badassery and cuteness, this trope of characters appearing like little girls but actually being far older than they appear (and sometimes, than they act) is a trope I really like because it combines so much of the things I like to watch. I really like the cuteness style of anime lolis and I really like characters with baffling amounts of power who are not suppose to be. I like the unique dynamics and bits of wisdom these characters tend to pull out, simple truths with a child's level of wording and an ancient immortal's depth of understanding.

*Traps and Genderbends are the Cutest Things- In anime there is this hilarious trope wherein often the ones aknowledged as the cutest girls aren't actually girls at all, but traps or in some manga genderbends. The contrast of the meta knowledge of this, as well as the characters trying to self-argue about the whole idea is just hilarious to watch, especially in stuff like this:

4bf.gif

*Pointing out the Tropes Trope- Another anime thing, I tend to really like anime's internal humor idea of gradually incorporating it's own tropes with a heavy degree of self-awareness, having the character's be conscious of them and using it to either reinforce or pull a twist on the trope. Even better is when the anime plays meta and actively exploits the trope in some way.

*Hypnosis is Brainwashing on Steroids- One of the things that always fascinated me the most is hypnosis. It's always been a perplexing and truly fascinating topic for me, not to mention exciting, but upon doing research I discovered it wasn't quite what I originally throught it might be. Nonetheless, I love that the idea of hypnosis is that more fantastical version, where one can magically and with no preparations snap their fingers and make someone else think they are a dog. Speaking of which...

*Werewolves are Dogs- I like dogs. I like the idea of werewolves essentially having dog-like behavior in either form.

*Self-sacrificial misunderstood hero- And just general suffering-based self-sacrifice. If there's a story that really pulls my heartstrings, this is one of them. A character sacrificing not their life or their physical well-being but their place in the world, society and people's eyes. A hero who is a hero because they will genuinely take the blow and make the call to ave the day, or who endures the suffering for the sake of what makes them heroic.

*Repenting Monster- Remorse is perhaps the emotion that I can most relate to. For reasons that don't matter here, there is much I regret about my past, actions done selfishly and without proper thought or care that are reflected in my life and relationships today. It is for this reason that stories where characters can overcome their past mistakes- mistakes they were inexcusably responsible for- and overcome the scars of the monster they used to be resonate with me so well.

*Comedic Misunderstandings- Sometimes, anime conversations where simple lapses in wording or context can have an entire conversation where the characters feel increasingly more like the other person is insane or they themselves become increasingly more confused, as the audience gets to witness them both misunderstanding each other in the most hilarious way.

*The Perfect Child- In stories about parenting more often than not, the children are just as idealized as the parents. They are much more mature than a child their age is supposed to be, they make less fusses are altogether better children for their parents. There's a lot less of a mess involved all in all, but despite this lack of realism, I think it helps to sell the emotional perspective of the movies. After all, the entire concept of the movie or the show is predicated on the conflict of parenting, so it only makes sense to connect the to the emotional state by showing the child in a better light, a light closer to what the parent might see in their child. Or at least so I think. What I know is that movies about that element like Maquia when the promised flower blooms and Wolf Children have really been impactful movies for me, and I think that one of the reasons why, other than parenting instincts I believe I've developed, though since I don't yet actually have children of my own I wouldn't be able to tell if they are.

I could go at this all day, I think, so I'll stop for now. I'll add something else here if I feel it's really important to include it.

I notice that pretty much all of my tropes are from anime. Then again, did you expect anything else from me?
uyqagdfuyqwegd tHATS A LOT but i agree on the loli one.

Biggest roleplay guilty pleasure are...
* protector x protected
* bully x victim
* strong x weak

iono man its just smething i cant help myself but like. The contrast is too cute!!

I also like these trobes:
* soulmate time travelling (you know, reincarnation and meeting the same person)
* romeo x juliette self destructive relationships too

yup..... me like the toxicity xD

uyqagdfuyqwegd tHATS A LOT but i agree on the loli one.

Biggest roleplay guilty pleasure are...
* protector x protected
* bully x victim
* strong x weak

iono man its just smething i cant help myself but like. The contrast is too cute!!

I also like these trobes:
* soulmate time travelling (you know, reincarnation and meeting the same person)
* romeo x juliette self destructive relationships too

yup..... me like the toxicity xD

Bully x victim pairings seriously trigger me because I have PTSD from lifelong bullying and verbal/emotional abuse. Not anything against you. Just throwing it out there.

Bully x victim pairings seriously trigger me because I have PTSD from lifelong bullying and verbal/emotional abuse. Not anything against you. Just throwing it out there.
Yeah no worries. I understand why and I definitely don't hold it against you for not liking it.
I dont like romanticizing it too much. I enjoy exploring the detrimental and realistic way to approach it and i do know a lot of cases where bully x victim happened (literally a living case).
I also often take into consideration that bullies are usually bullied themselves. Its just interesting dynamics.
Of course, there are levels of bullying. IT can be teasing then you know terrible stuff as well.

Yeah no worries. I understand why and I definitely don't hold it against you for not liking it.
I dont like romanticizing it too much. I enjoy exploring the detrimental and realistic way to approach it and i do know a lot of cases where bully x victim happened (literally a living case).
I also often take into consideration that bullies are usually bullied themselves. Its just interesting dynamics.
Of course, there are levels of bullying. IT can be teasing then you know terrible stuff as well.
I wouldn't say loli is exactly a good thing to like. The term isn't ideal, considering you could probably phrase it as 'immortal but forever young."

Loli is a term that comes from a sexual place, specifically aimed at kids. I just like informin' peeps cause it's better to be careful with phrasing considering most people aren't, y'know, into children.

I wouldn't say loli is exactly a good thing to like. The term isn't ideal, considering you could probably phrase it as 'immortal but forever young."

Loli is a term that comes from a sexual place, specifically aimed at kids. I just like informin' peeps cause it's better to be careful with phrasing considering most people aren't, y'know, into children.
ok let me rephrase.
I like "legal loli" lmfao

That is entirely and completely wrong. Loli simply means a character, in anime, which looks or acts like a young child. That is it. There is no sexual implication there, and it frankly pisses me off to no end that people come and claim sexual implications on terms like this.

Even if we were to imagine a hypothetical world where the term did have sexual implications, this would still obviously not have been what myself and D d1uni5ys24si3o meant by it, so it "not being the ideal thing to like" would be a redundant statement.

That is entirely and completely wrong. Loli simply means a character, in anime, which looks or acts like a young child. That is it. There is no sexual implication there, and it frankly pisses me off to no end that people come and claim sexual implications on terms like this.

Even if we were to imagine a hypothetical world where the term did have sexual implications, this would still obviously not have been what myself and D d1uni5ys24si3o meant by it, so it "not being the ideal thing to like" would be a redundant statement.
The word 'loli' comes from the term 'lolicon,' which comes from the word 'Lolita,' which is from the novel Lolita by* Vladimir Nabokov. The term does have an original meaning, and it's not just in reference these days to someone who looks or acts like a young child. I'm not sure where you came up with just the term for someone who acts like a child, but it's easy to look up the word and the origins.

*edited to put in the 'by

The word 'loli' comes from the term 'lolicon,' which comes from the word 'Lolita,' which is from the novel Lolita Vladimir Nabokov. The term does have an original meaning, and it's not just in reference these days to someone who looks or acts like a young child. I'm not sure where you came up with just the term for someone who acts like a child, but it's easy to look up the word and the origins.

1. I have a hard time believing that is actually the origin of the word. The word "loli" and "lolicon" are specifically originated within the otaku community- the thought of such a word having been exported from that novel seems strange at best to me.
As an alternative, I offer you the lolita fashion which actually did exist in Japan and is often word by loli characters and referenced by name. It seems far more plausible that this trend gave origin to the word, rather than the novel.

2.Giving it the benefit of the doubt though, regardless of the origin, that doesn't imply that is how a word is used- and how a word is used matters a whole lot more than its origin. Even if we were to assume the word "loli" did in fact have those origins, that would still have 0 relevance for any current implications unless said implications were explicitly unknown.

Now for fairness, lolicon does have pedophilic implications. However, "lolicon" is to "loli" like "pedophile" is to "child".

The word 'loli' comes from the term 'lolicon,' which comes from the word 'Lolita,' which is from the novel Lolita by* Vladimir Nabokov. The term does have an original meaning, and it's not just in reference these days to someone who looks or acts like a young child. I'm not sure where you came up with just the term for someone who acts like a child, but it's easy to look up the word and the origins.

*edited to put in the 'by

I don't think we should allow ourselves to be so cut and dry about definitions lmfao. Regardless, I clarified what I meant. I like legal loli and I am sure thats what Idea Idea meant since he literally said a 800 year old looking loli. like bitch is fucking old, obviously there is consent.
I find it strange that we are even discussing that. I mean people are into freaking furries and tentacle porn... to each their liking lol. I think girls with no boobs and childish behaviour is cute. When it comes to age of consent, I don't understand why it would be... an issue in this context since... we were talking about liking 800 years old loli looking chicks lmfao.

I like legal loli and I am sure thats what @Idea meant since he literally said a 800 year old looking loli. like bitch is fucking old, obviously there is consent.
I find it strange that we are even discussing that. I mean people are into freaking furries and tentacle porn... to each their liking lol. I think girls with no boobs and childish behaviour is cute. When it comes to age of consent, I don't understand why it would be... an issue in this context since... we were talking about liking 800 years old loli looking chicks lmfao.
I don't care about the consent, because I don't like these characters in any romantic or sexual way- I just think they are cute, funny and cool. What I'm arguing against is precisely that sexual and worse, pedophilic implications are being shoved into my mouth through words I use, and into those very words.

I don't care about the consent, because I don't like these characters in any romantic or sexual way- I just think they are cute, funny and cool. What I'm arguing against is precisely that sexual and worse, pedophilic implications are being shoved into my mouth through words I use, and into those very words.
completely understandable and I agree with you. I legit just find them adorable and cute. But what calypso calypso was talking about is age of consent in that case and because unfortunately in the urban dictionary apparently its part of the definition. Just clarifying.

completely understandable and I agree with you. I legit just find them adorable and cute. But what calypso calypso was talking about is age of consent in that case and because unfortunately in the urban dictionary apparently its part of the definition. Just clarifying.
then the dictionary is wrong or incomplete- because that's not the actual use of the word, at least not within the context in question.

1. I have a hard time believing that is actually the origin of the word. The word "loli" and "lolicon" are specifically originated within the otaku community- the thought of such a word having been exported from that novel seems strange at best to me.
As an alternative, I offer you the lolita fashion which actually did exist in Japan and is often word by loli characters and referenced by name. It seems far more plausible that this trend gave origin to the word, rather than the novel.

2.Giving it the benefit of the doubt though, regardless of the origin, that doesn't imply that is how a word is used- and how a word is used matters a whole lot more than its origin. Even if we were to assume the word "loli" did in fact have those origins, that would still have 0 relevance for any current implications unless said implications were explicitly unknown.

Now for fairness, lolicon does have pedophilic implications. However, "lolicon" is to "loli" like "pedophile" is to "child".
You can just look up the novel, hence why I provided the author of the novel. In short, the narrator nicknames his victim 'Lolita,' as her name is Dolores. (Not sure how it comes up as Lolita, but that's how it goes) Even the wiki page you cited to me references the novel Lolita, as Lolita fashion didn't emerge until the novel itself was published. I'm not using urban dictionary as a point of reference, I'm using the source of the word and the implication behind it.

The term lolicon and such may of come from the otaku community, but that itself came in origin from this novel. You can like the wit of a character and enjoy the troupe of a young appearing person having vast knowledge due to their actual age of over 800, but the term itself does have an origin in which it's sexual. Hence why I encourage people to not use it, especially if you don't want to refer to the character in a sexual way.

You can just look up the novel, hence why I provided the author of the novel. In short, the narrator nicknames his victim 'Lolita,' as her name is Dolores. (Not sure how it comes up as Lolita, but that's how it goes) Even the wiki page you cited to me references the novel Lolita, as Lolita fashion didn't emerge until the novel itself was published.

Let me put it this way

novel with sexual implications---->fashion trend may or may not have had such implications--->characters who use those clothes because they were popular, and eventually settling into a certain type of character because of their cuteness---->origin of the word loli--->origin of lolicon

At some point the "sexual implication" disappears. If it didn't, then every word would be about hunting mammoths or fire or the like- at some point things become dilluted and the origin itself becomes obsolete, if it can even be called the origin of the word at that point.

I'm not using urban dictionary as a point of reference, I'm using the source of the word and the implication behind it
The term lolicon and such may of come from the otaku community, but that itself came in origin from this novel. You can like the wit of a character and enjoy the troupe of a young appearing person having vast knowledge due to their actual age of over 800, but the term itself does have an origin in which it's sexual. Hence why I encourage people to not use it, especially if you don't want to refer to the character in a sexual way.

You are assuming the source of the word and assuming the implication behind it, against the ACTUAL use of the word. I've never once seen anyone who actually makes common use of the word use it in a sexual manner. In fact this type of character tends to be so devoid of any sexual or romantic aspects that the "lewd headpat" meme came to be, a joke on how the character type was so "pure" that even headpatting might seem like crossing the line.

So, I'll restate it again: The word "loli" has zero sexual implications. Even if we assume the word did have an origin in that random novel written by a completely different culture at a time when Japan was a much more closed off and inward culture than it is today - a stretch at best- then such an origin has already become obsolete towards anything related to the word other than potentially in circles trying to discuss the novel itself.
The only groups, and without meaning to imply you belong to those groups, that I've seen using the word "loli" and seeing it as having inherent sexual implications are groups view the sheer existence or depicting of characters with such an appearance as a demeaning or sexual act. If I may strawman for a moment for the sake of clarity, we're talking about the kinds of people who'd complain about a restaurant having an anime-ish chibi character as a mascot implying that it is somehow meant for pedos. This is important, because these are the kinds of people you wouldn't want to use the term around anyways, because they are the kinds of groups who take the character type to be inherently some sexual thing (regardless of the term used).

Let me put it this way

novel with sexual implications---->fashion trend may or may not have had such implications--->characters who use those clothes because they were popular, and eventually settling into a certain type of character because of their cuteness---->origin of the word loli--->origin of lolicon

At some point the "sexual implication" disappears. If it didn't, then every word would be about hunting mammoths or fire or the like- at some point things become dilluted and the origin itself becomes obsolete, if it can even be called the origin of the word at that point.

You are assuming the source of the word and assuming the implication behind it, against the ACTUAL use of the word. I've never once seen anyone who actually makes common use of the word use it in a sexual manner. In fact this type of character tends to be so devoid of any sexual or romantic aspects that the "lewd headpat" meme came to be, a joke on how the character type was so "pure" that even headpatting might seem like crossing the line.

So, I'll restate it again: The word "loli" has zero sexual implications. Even if we assume the word did have an origin in that random novel written by a completely different culture at a time when Japan was a much more closed off and inward culture than it is today - a stretch at best- then such an origin has already become obsolete towards anything related to the word other than potentially in circles trying to discuss the novel itself.
The only groups, and without meaning to imply you belong to those groups, that I've seen using the word "loli" and seeing it as having inherent sexual implications are groups view the sheer existence or depicting of characters with such an appearance as a demeaning or sexual act. If I may strawman for a moment for the sake of clarity, we're talking about the kinds of people who'd complain about a restaurant having an anime-ish chibi character as a mascot implying that it is somehow meant for pedos. This is important, because these are the kinds of people you wouldn't want to use the term around anyways, because they are the kinds of groups who take the character type to be inherently some sexual thing (regardless of the term used).

I don't think you really read what I said, considering you're saying everything I say is hypothetical despite the fact there is proof the term does originate from this novel and I encourage you to easily google such a thing, as many different sources show this as the point source of all terms surrounding it. There is plenty of proof out there of this term being used both sexually and non-sexually, but I'm going back to the origin and how often I most see it being used. Japan may of been closed off at the time, but there's a reason that certain subculture of dressing up in Victorian aged children clothes originated from a novel primarily involving a child as one of the protagonists, who is nicknamed Lolita. It's hardly obsolete as the origin considering the word is still used in an inappropriate manner, but that doesn't negate the fact of what you're attempting with your statements.

It's also inappropriate to say I'm assuming the source of the word when I again encourage you to easily google such a thing, you have unlimited resources at the click of your fingers. It's not a random novel, considering it kicked off the entire phrase and idea of the word 'loli' from the story of Dolores and the narrator. (The novel has been considered some of the greatest work of the 20th century, and is cited as one of the best novels in many, many lists. Times is one of them.)

I do see the term as sexual towards children, due to the origin that is not something I assume, and the line of work I engage in. I often volunteer with a local group meant to help children who struggle with sexual assault, and the term is one given to workers as something to look out for. I don't believe people who find the term loli sexual are ones who want to act on any sexual manner, most of time because they find themselves disgusted with the term and would rather not associate with it.

I would appreciate if you didn't take all my statements as completely false when there's easy evidence for you to find online for yourself and pick your liking of which site you prefer, but it's completely pointless to have such a conversation if you're dismissing every statement I make as completely false. You aren't exactly having a conversation if you're just waiting to make your next point against something, whilst completely dismissing the other person as either false 'or assumptions.'

Either way, I'm closing this discussion. I've offered you multiple times to look up the word to confirm the origins, and I implore you to look more into the novel itself and the importance behind it. It's not random, it holds significant culture value even today. Novels do tend to stand the test of time.

*Any edits I make are just me fixing random grammatical errors. Sometimes it's hard to type fast.

Last edited:
I don't think you really read what I said, considering you're saying everything I say is hypothetical despite the fact there is proof the term does originate from this novel and I encourage you to easily google such a thing, as many different sources show this as the point source of all terms surrounding it. There is plenty of proof out there of this term being used both sexually and non-sexually, but I'm going back to the origin and how often I most see it being used. Japan may of been closed off at the time, but there's a reason that certain subculture of dressing up in Victorian aged children clothes originated from a novel primarily involving a child as one of the protagonists, who is nicknamed Lolita. It's hardly obsolete as the origin considering the word is still used in an inappropriate manner, but that doesn't negate the fact of what you're attempting with your statements.

It's also inappropriate to say I'm assuming the source of the word when I again encourage you to easily google such a thing, you have unlimited resources at the click of your fingers. It's not a random novel, considering it kicked off the entire phrase and idea of the word 'loli' from the story of Dolores and the narrator. (The novel has been considered some of the greatest work of the 20th century, and is cited as one of the best novels in many, many lists. Times is one of them.)

From a quick search, you are correct that some people define it that way- however, none of them bother to showcase the link other than the words themselves. In fact, when trying to give examples they gave examples which did not actually fit the defintion, as no sexuality was present in the shows talked about. There is also a remarkable lack of adequate sources, combined with mixing up the loli and lolicon terms almost as if they were interchangeable and with not once explaining how the word actually came to be within anything resembling the context of otaku culture- which is what is in question here. Yes, there may be a word "loli" in the pornographic industry, but the pornographic industry doesn't get to overtake the implication in my words unless it is that widely spread...which it most certainly isn't.

For the sake of it, one that actually agrees with me on definition, and shows consistent examples:

When I say you are assuming it, it's because you're taking it at face value. Nomatter how many people say the Earth is round or flat, what determines who's right is ultimately the facts. There are lots of people who claim the word comes from the novel, but that's where their claim stops, they can't actually back it up other than the conjecture itself. The words sounding similar, and some people using the word in an innapropriate manner is pretty much the whole basis.

But even then, even if we ignore that we're talking about a vast, vast minority of people even using the word in an innapropriate manner (and among those, they tend to add stuff to the term like "legal loli" or "lewd loli", precisely because such terms are necessary for the separation of it from the actual use), it'd be like saying "balls" has sexual implications simply because it can refer to you know what- and thus meaning that using the word balls when referring to, say, volleyballs or certain spherical shapes is therefore innapropriate.

Lastly, nomatter how good a novel is, for those that didn't read it nor heard much about it, it's just a random novel. My point with that phrasing is that the extent of the interest, culturally, for that novel was precisely that, pretty much none. Fashion carried over more easily than specific book tastes, from which you can imply that while the fashion may have had the origin in the novel, by the time it was taken over by Japan it was already disassociated from the novel.

I do see the term as sexual towards children, due to the origin that is not something I assume, and the line of work I engage in. I often volunteer with a local group meant to help children who struggle with sexual assault, and the term is one given to workers as something to look out for. I don't believe people who find the term loli sexual are ones who want to act on any sexual manner, most of time because they find themselves disgusted with the term and would rather not associate with it.
people who find the term loli sexual are ones who want to act on any sexual manner
I never stated the above. And you're absolutely right that they are disgusted by the term and would rather not associate with it. But that's exactly the issue, it's an echo chamber that doesn't actually look at how the word is used by the people who actually use it.

Now, I do agree children experiencing sexual assault should avoid the term, mostly to avoid triggering from potential lolicon art. However, lollies as a concept do not have sexual implications, but there are things which do and have loli in there somewhere.

I would appreciate if you didn't take all my statements as completely false when there's easy evidence for you to find online for yourself and pick your liking of which site you prefer, but it's completely pointless to have such a conversation if you're dismissing every statement I make as completely false. You aren't exactly having a conversation if you're just waiting to make your next point against something, whilst completely dismissing the other person as either false 'or assumptions.'

It's called burden of proof, and given you've accused people who use the term loli of doing so with pedophilic connotations, I very much believe it falls on you. But even then, I didn't just debunk what you said in as many ways as it is physically possible for me to do, I've also:
->Showed more plausible alternatives (loliate fashion and popularity over novel not enough people in Japan could have heard about)
->Explained why even if you were factually correct about a part of your argument, your conclusion would still be ultimately incorrect (even if at some point Lolita was the origin point, it's become diluted to the point of being obsolete)
->Showed examples that demonstrate the community at large does not factually use the term in the way you think it does (headpats being almost too lewd for a character is the opposite of sexual implications for a term describing that character)
->Given my actual reasons for liking the character type, plus having myself used the term with no sexual implications

In order to make your point, I would need evidence beyond mere statement that lolita was the origin of the term loli within otaku culture AND I would need at the very least a convincing explanation as to why the word would carry sexual implications DESPITE the fact that these are characters that are so comically pure in depiction that it has become a meme.

I'm not taking your statements as automatically false, but I'm not going to automatically believe them against everything I've known, watched and experienced. I've engaged every single point you've made, not favorably, but you can't honestly expect me to when you're implying a word I use with levity and commonly is somehow and unknowst to everyone I know dangerous and downright criminal. I've even aknowledged certain points made as potentially correct- the lolita origin and the dictionary defintion. As such, I explained why they were ultimately pointless arguments, since they don't reflect on the important aspect, the actual use of the word, which is the actual topic of the discussion.

On the other hand you ignored one of the examples I gave about the word's use (the headpat one), you dismissed the other as if it was a separate matter (800 year old loli being appreciated for non-sexual aspects, thus meaning the character archetype does not require sexual aspects and neither does the term) and the third about the plausible alternative:

Japan may of been closed off at the time, but there's a reason that certain subculture of dressing up in Victorian aged children clothes originated from a novel primarily involving a child as one of the protagonists, who is nicknamed Lolita.

It seems like you're almost implying the fashion trend became popular while being essentially cosplaying a character defined for being the victim of a stalker pedophile. If this is indeed the implication it is absurd. If it isn't, then it doesn't help your point at all, because you disassociate the term lollita from the novel unless it was the case.

Either way, I'm closing this discussion. I've offered you multiple times to look up the word to confirm the origins, and I implore you to look more into the novel itself and the important behind it. It's not random, it holds significant culture value even today. Novels do tend to stand the test of time.
I know the novel. It is not exactly the first time it's brought up, and I understand it's value, but it is still an error to associate it with a term that has nothing to do with it just because they sound similar. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" and the idea that given context the word "loli" has any sexual implications is certainly an extraordinary claim.

Regardless, you're right that there isn't much point to continuing this discussion. It's a matter that shouldn't have been brought up in the first place, but alas, it did.

I wish you a good day or night and I apologize for any rudeness I may have unknowingly displayed.

I feel like any trope can shine in the right story, even if it's in a silly way.
My absolute favorite, though? Friendship saves the day/my love for my friends make me stronger. Makes me tear up every time.

I feel like any trope can shine in the right story, even if it's in a silly way.
My absolute favorite, though? Friendship saves the day/my love for my friends make me stronger. Makes me tear up every time.
uiqfhiouqewhfoiquwhf i cant stand that trobe LMFAO i love the idea of it but when its friends who are assholes like nah my hoe ass friend imma watch you die and laugh and then ask you if you are ok xHAH(AUIHDIWUDH

Noble/Rich/Popular Girl Falls in Love with Commoner/Poor/Nerdy Boy

Tied-up hair becoming undone and wild in the final battle

Clothed 'Intimate' Moments

Ojou-sama in general

Well-Written Antagonists with Redemption Arcs

Ugh I'm forgetting the names of those tropes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back